As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] No chat, only war. And /special.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Isn't 10/6 only like a quarter through the game?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't remember the specifics; it was in that list of "things they wanted to fix" that Jacobs posted on VN boards. It was copied here a week or two ago.

Basically they never intended a "jump" set like that, more that you'd end up with that full set over time, at the start of Tier 2.
    Isn't 10/6 only like a quarter through the game?

Yep, if that.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hillean wrote: »
    Mythic could even call it 'Fatigue' if they wanted to, and people wouldn't bitch about it an ounce because it would make more sense calling it something like that.

People would bitch, they always bitch.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Perhaps gaining a piece every Renown level or two, that's just fine. But just because you hit level 10/Renown 6 doesn't mean 'oh well here's a whole friggin set that makes you better than everyone'.

There are different ways of going about it.

Anybody know what pieces of gear are available in the t2 keeps now - or was it all completely taken out?

Fryhole on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm not seeing how much it'll help. I've never been in a position of a Keep Raid, where one side was losing because they just couldn't stop the other side from raising their people. That kind of problem would lead me to believe said keep raid are a bunch of idiots and are not killing the healers. And I don't think defenders need much tuning down. As it is, it can be very hard to defend provided the attackers are smart.

I have. I've participated in about a dozen Tier 3 keep raids, and man-oh-man its tough to get past attackers when they have 2-3 tanks at the top keeping us from coming down, with the 'cant-walk-through-enemies' bit. There are ways of keeping an invading army alive indefinately, regardless of 'how good you are'. It's tough to kill the healers when they are kept nearly out of LoS and we can't surpass the tanks, when they are playing well.

It's not always a matter of 'just avoid those guys and kill the healers', if you've played much of this game at all that situation rarely comes up.

I'm confused, are we talking defending inside the keep as they're at the Keep Lord? Because if so, defence has basically already lost. A good defence will keep the attackers outside the first wall/door for a good hour or so. By the time they're in the keep, it's mostly a done deal.

And sure there are plenty of situations to avoiding people and killing squishes. There are enough side paths and backways through most every RvR zone that people don't use because 'Oh hey, there's an enemy over there, I should charge it' predominates. Praag's a great example of this.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has anything official been said about what type of realm bonus we can expect for the vastly underpopulated side on a server?

Accualt on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Has anything official been said about what type of realm bonus we can expect for the vastly underpopulated side on a server?

Probably a 'no longer recruiting xxx side, only recruiting opposing side' type stuff :D

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've a feeling this has been asked before, but I can't keep up with this thread:

Will there be a wipe between PW+ and OB?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    First it was bitching because you could get 10/6 armor set, and now its bitching because you can't. Make up your minds!

Munacra on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You can't get RvRmor anymore?

Rend on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You can, it's just they didn't intend for you to get all of it at the same time. Also theres something I'm curious about... when it displays that recruiting *insert realm here* thing, does that mean you can't make a character for the other realm? I really wanted to play on Tod for the open beta with TSM.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    In a PvP game, I would disagree with that completely

What does that have to do with it?
    The best gear should not be easy to get just because it is a PvP game.

For RvR stuff, you just make it drop off RvR targets.

Getting to 10/6 should not suddenly entitle you to the best gear for your level. That's crazy and extremely unequal for the folks doing PvE.

Yes it should be easy because it is a PvP game. When you are playing a game with the focus of "RvR," I do not want to be sitting in a 50 man raid group for hours waiting for an encounter to pop and hope to get my artifacts. Stuff dropping off of players, okay great. As long as it is random and doesn't feel grindy.

If you are familiar at all with DAOC, you would know they lost a huge chunk of their subscribers when they took your approach.

You misinterpret his point.

Perhaps gaining a piece every Renown level or two, that's just fine. But just because you hit level 10/Renown 6 doesn't mean 'oh well here's a whole friggin set that makes you better than everyone'.

There are different ways of going about it.

True. PvE rewards and RvR rewards should always be on the same scale. It would be silly to make one or the other stronger. I think the system will work fine if we gather the set items over time in a normal gameplay environment.

Shens on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You guys better not wreck the balance so bad that I can't roll a blorc on the TSM server when I get home.

Bama on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    I've a feeling this has been asked before, but I can't keep up with this thread:

It wasn't answered over on WHA in the post about the early PW starting, so nothing official. If I had to guess, I'd say they are doing a trial launch and trying to get a feel for what's going to happen from head start to launch. Either way the cap exists and they'll wipe when the whole thing is over with anyways, so don't get too attached. ;)

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That server cap filled up fast.

Munacra on
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fryhole wrote: »
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

It wasn't answered over on WHA in the post about the early PW starting, so nothing official. If I had to guess, I'd say they are doing a trial launch and trying to get a feel for what's going to happen from head start to launch. Either way the cap exists and they'll wipe when the whole thing is over with anyways, so don't get too attached. ;)

Exactly, use this time to try some classes that you never really felt like playing. I tried a shaman and liked it, I tried a BW and loved it.

Still miss the Shadow Warrior and WP though, better save that enthusiasm for launch.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    You guys better not wreck the balance so bad that I can't roll a blorc on the TSM server when I get home.

It's not just us.

A lot of people will see the massive amount of characters there, and want to roll there themselves because of the population.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are Goon Squad the SA Goons? If so they're on the server we're on

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm pretty sure, yes.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Probably a 'no longer recruiting xxx side, only recruiting opposing side' type stuff :D

I would hope not. They decided against that in DAoC because then late to the party friends couldn't join up. Instead they gave money/exp bonuses to the underpopulated realm. It worked fairly well.

Accualt on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I would hope not. They decided against that in DAoC because then late to the party friends couldn't join up. Instead they gave money/exp bonuses to the underpopulated realm. It worked fairly well.

In an interview at TTH (I think at PAX or the German show) they said:
    - Server select screen will highlight realms that need other factions to encourage new players to play there.
    - PVE bonuses for side with lower population (wasn't exact but said ideas like XP bonuses)
    - No PVP bonuses (ie, they will not penalize a side for doing better

* Note: some of the above may just be based on winnings not pure population -- memory is rusty :)

Timmer on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The penalty is you're going to feel like a punk bitch for rolling with your zerg homies and every victory you have will be a hollow one as you return to the creep to nurse from the teat of your overlord.

(edit.. requesting image of a zergling nursing from an overlord's teat)

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »

I'm pretty sure, yes.

Heh, so if you want significant RvR time, looks like Order may be the way to go.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just got my first CTD.

Oh, and since Destro is/was full on the Bringer of Tod, I've got a shadow warrior Oatariel and a runepriest Oatglor.

Get me into the Mancers.

Oats on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Space the stuff out, tie it to Tome stuff maybe. Like say you can purchase the Helm and Boots after killing XXX Empire, the Gloves and Belt after killing XXX Elves, the Arms and Cloak after XXX Dwarfs.
    Then you get the Chest pieces after killing all three.

Couldn't really do it that way, it would penalize those who only stay in their general area, aka Greenskin vs Dwarves/Empire vs Chaos/DE vs HE.

But I could see tome unlocks on different sorts of armor after xxx kills, xxx scenario wins, etc.

There are tome unlocks for being killed by certain classes, right?

It'd be cool if there were similar/reversed titles for killing members of other classes (Killed a Witch Hunter: Judgmental)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Haha, looks like Strumgrenadier is on here too. I'm not sure I would try much open field RvR with all these big guilds on this server.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm pretty sure, yes.

Heh, so if you want significant RvR time, looks like Order may be the way to go.

fuuuuuuudge

Maybe I'll be a Candymancer for OB.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How good are the morale abilities you unlock on the skill trees compared to other ones?

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Indica1 wrote: »
    How good are the morale abilities you unlock on the skill trees compared to other ones?

Skill tree abilities only give rank 4 morale, and considering you only get 1 general Rank 4 morale ability from your skill trainer, the skill tree ones tend to be much better.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm pretty sure, yes.

fuuuuuuudge

Maybe I'll be a Candymancer for OB.

Are the Goon guys Order?

I thought they were also Destruction.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If the Goons went Order, does that mean Carnage went Destruction on the same server that we are playing on?

Huh. This could get interesting.

Munacra on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You guys sure can pick a server.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Munacra wrote: »
    If the Goons went Order, does that mean Carnage went Destruction on the same server that we are playing on?

Huh. This could get interesting.

/who Carnage. If names show up, then it's a yup.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've seen Goon Squad guys on Destruction. No idea if they went Order too. We need to be sure to avoid all their guilds for launch.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    I've seen Goon Squad guys on Destruction. No idea if they went Order too. We need to be sure to avoid all their guilds for launch.

Why's that?

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Indica1 wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

Why's that?

Because they always swarm whatever side they play on with massive numbers and aim to ruin PvP for the other team? Not to mention singlehandedly creating a population imbalance.

Zek on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I... I just got my code from an @eastorecodes.co.uk address.
    Beta Access

To join the fight, first register and download the beta client at Fileplay. Then enter the BETA code below at War-Europe.com to activate your account.

Um... I'm not European. Is this... is this normal? o_O

Should I at least download the Client File? Or will I have to open yet ANOTHER ticket?

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gotcha.

Indica1 on

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been playing order all afternoon today and only running into goons as destro in the scenarios. Open field rvr is kinda empty right now, prolly will pick up later in the evening.

Kinda meh about the whole situation especially if it's going against both SA + SG on the same side...*sigh* let the zerg commence.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »
    I... I just got my code from an @eastorecodes.co.uk address.
    Beta Access

To join the fight, first register and download the beta client at Fileplay. Then enter the BETA code below at War-Europe.com to activate your account.

Um... I'm not European. Is this... is this normal? o_O

Should I at least download the Client File? Or will I have to open yet ANOTHER ticket?

And I just went ahead and tried to use the code to set up a master account in Mythic's website. Nope, not working, it REALLY is an European-only code.

SUPERB fucking job, EA Store. MOTHER FUCKERS!

aunsoph on
This discussion has been closed.