Options

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

• Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Or a merc 'Jack Marshal like Dirty Meg, Thor Steinhammer, Sam MacHorne, etc.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    NinjerNinjer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am also really liking EIrusk and Zerkova

Ninjer on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would like to say that the Black 13th's paint scheme is kind of grating on my mind right now.

To the point that I want to paint my Long Gunner's to have primarily black uniforms, with dark leather and a white "loincloth." With perhaps dark blue trim. Or silver. Or gold.

What do you guys think? Would it look as cool as I think it would?

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    probably

Ninjer on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    just played my cryx vs knob's khador

it was cool he got me in kind of a spot and I had to pop gorshade's feat

so I like deadpan, "dude, you've really got me in a spot here so I'm just going to put some more guys on the table"

He snickers as we make jokes like this as we play games quite often, IE "Your bosnian lasers cannot hurt me" but then I take out a rack of bane thralls and start putting them on the board and he's like, "Really?"

And I'm like

ya

rly.

and I managed a lovely warcaster kill with the bane thralls. Which was a damn good thing, since up to that moment he was giving me a gentle introduction to man-o-war damage tolerances...

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Goreshade's a bastard.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    Goreshade's a bastard.

Yeah well you need a free 80 point unit when your opponent has man-o-wars

those things are fucking rude

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I find that application of guns to their face generally works pretty well.
    Demo Corp do a fuckton of damage but die easy. Shock Troops don't do much damage but are annoying to kill.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    We played a rematch and I lost this time, again it came down to a last minute caster-kill.

I had some odd luck - I tried to pull the manowars out of formation with a reaper, but I rolled so much damage w/ the harpoon that I killed my target outright, meaning the other two were free to charge something else - and my pistol wraith rolled snake eyes on an attack or he would have locked down the mech that killed my caster.

I think I've learned my lesson about fielding Darren Wragthe without any additional soul hunters, he's cool and he does some neat stuff but he draws too much attention for the amount of damage he can take.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As mentioned earlier, probably, Darragh's Soul Hunters make Soul Gate something really, really heinous. Especially against Haley, for instance. Say you're at the edge of her TB threat range? Do a Charge order. Run a bunch of Soul Hunters as far as you can go and position them in certain spots that you can use as charging points for the latter members of the unit who haven't moved yet. This 11 inch charge will still trigger Shadow Rider's light cav movement, efffectively giving that model a 19 inch move. It might just be enough to help you Soul Gate Nightmare into a prime assassination position.

On the bright side, I went against Terminus with epic caine today. I lost to a freak roll, but it was still fun. Smoke Assault helped keep the rest of my army alive as my Trenchers bravely ran out and bayonet charged incoming Soul Hunters, killing all but one. :)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier, probably, Darragh's Soul Hunters make Soul Gate something really, really heinous. Especially against Haley, for instance. Say you're at the edge of her TB threat range? Do a Charge order. Run a bunch of Soul Hunters as far as you can go and position them in certain spots that you can use as charging points for the latter members of the unit who haven't moved yet. This 11 inch charge will still trigger Shadow Rider's light cav movement, efffectively giving that model a 19 inch move. It might just be enough to help you Soul Gate Nightmare into a prime assassination position.

On the bright side, I went against Terminus with epic caine today. I lost to a freak roll, but it was still fun. Smoke Assault helped keep the rest of my army alive as my Trenchers bravely ran out and bayonet charged incoming Soul Hunters, killing all but one. :)

Gaaaaaha

I just thought of something

can a soul hunter with shadow rider take a second move for attacking another soul hunter with its sickle?

Also is anyone else just sad that the Iron Kingdoms D&D setting seems to be a casualty of 4th ed?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wtih Shadow Rider, they act like Light Cavalry, meaning they can take their second movement as long as they take an action. This is why the method I posted above works: Run the entire unit except for one guy. Have him charge a member of the unit within his threat range, then walk him his last eight inches for a total 19 inch move, more than you normally can run a Soul Hunter.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They don't have to take an action. They just have to declare one, IE: Some people may frown at you, but this is 100% legit.

I move my Soulhunter, he takes his combat action and decides to do nothing, shadow ride into Haley's face.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I actually haven't used soul gate yet because I was mis-reading it - I thought both minis invovled had to be within 6" of the WC

I'm a little fuzzy on something - what is a warcaster's "battlegroup"?

I was under the impression it was the 500 points he brings to the game.

But reading the rules it looks more like it should be the jacks he can allocate focus to?

And can a warcaster send focus to a jack under the control of a marshal and is that jack part of the warcasters battlegroup?

Also, re formation, units need to be in formation at the end of the last member's movement, right? IE if you're charging, do you essentially activate one model at a time and that model is not out of formation as he rides or runs out ahead? Or do you charge the whole unit and then attack with it? (Sorry this stuff is in the book im sure but my book is across town where I play and I'm trying to concoct a list.

I just realized bile thralls could hit most of the Khador army without blowing up.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    battlegroup is the warcaster and the jacks under his control, and a warcaster cannot give focus to a jack marshal and it is not part of his battlegroup as it is under the control of the marshal

Ninjer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    When you activate a unit, they all have to take their movement action, THEN their combat action. So they all have to move and finish up in formation before doing anything else.

Of course, if someone in the middle died, only the part of the unit in coherency with the leader will get his orders. The other members of the unit have to run to catch up. Failing that, if the unit isn't fearless, they will flee, apparently.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I got some Nyss Hunters today

I think they are rad. They appear to have invented the compound bow.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got a Centurion for six dollars off retail and free shipping off eBay.

ENEMIES OF THE CYGNUS, BEWARE MY PHALL...I MEAN, PISTON SPEAR!!!!

Alazull on
  • Options
    ThaKapnThaKapn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, new user here. Just wanted to say I LOVE warmachine. I currently only play Cryx .

Army:

Warcasters
    Lich Lord Terminus
    Lich Lord Asphyxious
    Iron Lord Asphyxious
    Warwitch Deneghra
    Wraith Witch Deneghra
    Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast
    Skarre, Pirate Queen
    Goreshade The Bastard

Warjacks
    Deathjack
    Nightmare
    Harrower
    Leviathan
    Reaper
    Slayer
    Cankerworm
    Stalker
    x2 Defiler
    x2 Nightwretch
    x2 Helldiver

Units

Bane Knights +4
    Bane Thralls +2
    Blackbanes Ghost Raiders

Solos
    Withershadow Combine
    Bane Lord Tartarus
    Captain Rengrave
    Revenant Cannon Crew
    Skarlock Thrall
    Machine Wraith
    x2 Bloat Thrall
    x3 Pistol Wraith

Allies/Mercs
    Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
    Cephalyx Overlords

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I loooove Epic Goreshade. I swapped armies with my friend. I tried eGoreshade, he did eCaine. My army got obliterated, but I still managed to Abyssal Gate him within striking distance of Nightmare, backwards.

He's a toolbox caster, and an awesome one at that! Granted, my list should've been tweaked a little against Cygnar (Drop Cankerwurm and one of my three 'Chickens. Just use two, and make them deathrippers. More room for troops.), but it ws still nice, I guess. His spell selection is really good.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    404404 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I've just been introduced/hopelessly hooked on this game, and decided to throw together a nice shooty Caine army... until I found out it would cost well over 200 dollars before tools/paints just for the 500 point version.

So in came plan B: A nice mobile Everblight Army built off the Warpack. A bit cliche, but it works. Lylyth is like Caine's evil stepsister and I love it.

350:
    Warlock - Lylyth, Herald of Everblight - 62

Heavy Warbeast - Carnivean - 124

Lesser Warbeast - Harrier - 31

Lesser Warbeast - Shredder - 23

Total: 340/350

500:
    Warlock - Lylyth, Herald of Everblight - 62

Solo - Shepard - 18

Solo - The Forsaken - 26

Unit - Striders - 82
    Unit Attachment - Strider Officer & Musician - 28

Total: 494/500

750:
    Epic Warlock - Lylyth, Shadow of Everblight - 70

Heavy Alpha Warbeast - Angelius - 129

Solo - Shepard - 18

Solo - Strider Deathstalker - 30

Solo - The Forsaken - 26

Unit - Raptors (+1 Additional) - 85

Unit - Striders - 82
    Unit Attachment - Strider Officer & Musician - 28

Total - 746/750

My only regrets are that the Strider UA isn't out 'til February, and that I didn't have enough room for a Seraph.

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I loooove Epic Goreshade. I swapped armies with my friend. I tried eGoreshade, he did eCaine. My army got obliterated, but I still managed to Abyssal Gate him within striking distance of Nightmare, backwards.

He's a toolbox caster, and an awesome one at that! Granted, my list should've been tweaked a little against Cygnar (Drop Cankerwurm and one of my three 'Chickens. Just use two, and make them deathrippers. More room for troops.), but it ws still nice, I guess. His spell selection is really good.

The effect of a 38 point arc node on warcaster longevity cannot be over stated. I've been using regular denaghra, a skarlock, and 1-3 deathrippers to great success. It's like your warcaster is EVERYWHERE at once

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    404, I suggest you pick up a unit of infantry and another box of Incubi. Shredding your oponent to pieces on THEIR turn is an amazing ability! Unfortunately it'll hit your pocked book for about $100(Cdn) after paint and all.

I'm building an army for an upcoming game here...

Warcaster - Lich Lord Terminus
    Helljack - Deathjack / Nightmare
    Bonejack - Defiler x2
    Unit - Bane Knights
    Unit - Bane Thralls
    Solo - Skarlock Thrall

I'm thinking about 2 pistol wraiths or 2 bloat thralls as well for some ranged support. For a larger game I'll use eDeneghra using the Nightmare and Terminus with the Deathjack. eDeneghra can cast Harrowing on an enemy unit and a Deathjack charged with Demoniac will wipe them all in a single attack (and nothing can stop it after it reaps all the souls). Plus a Nightmare with eD's Stealth attacking the enemy warcaster carged with Ravager is always a good thing :P

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dunno if it's been brought up, but you can make a really nasty turtle list (Not so much anymore with the B13 running around) with Terminus if you grab Revenant Crew and Bile Thralls, and spam Shadow of Death every turn. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Might be interesting. I was also thinking of using Deneghra as an undead shield by overcharging her with unused focus Terminus's Sacrificial Pawn ability since she is an undead unit. *insert evil laughter*

Quick picture of a couple of my units painted thus far. Yeah I know the camera flash sucks and it washes out all the detail...

n787740060_5266341_957.jpg

And yes that is a modded Gorman in the center:P

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So while I'm getting all my Legion stuff together for my first army, I was thinking about starting a nice Jack-heavy Cygnar army as a backup. I had to abandon my Caine idea for being way too expensive, but here's my idea at 350:

Warcaster: Captain Jeremiah Kraye
    -Thunderhead
    -Sentinel
    -Sentinel
    Journeyman Warcaster
    -Hunter

Basically the Sentinels handle any infantry while the Hunter takes advantage of the Light Calvary rules and acts as a Running Deathmachine(tm) after being Arcane Shielded by Junior, while the Thunderhead mops up anything else and sets Kraye for the Patented Caster Kamikaze Toss (yay for Kraye being immune to knockdown).

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Don't you mean 500 points? It's a fairly nice list, but you shouldn't give the Hunter to Junior. Give it to Kraye. Its light cav movement makes it STUPID good and far more survivable than it normally would have any right to be. Drop the Journeyman and replace him with a Squire.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ThaKapn wrote: »
    404, I suggest you pick up a unit of infantry and another box of Incubi. Shredding your oponent to pieces on THEIR turn is an amazing ability! Unfortunately it'll hit your pocked book for about $100(Cdn) after paint and all.

Bonejack - Defiler x2
    Unit - Bane Knights
    Unit - Bane Thralls
    Solo - Skarlock Thrall

I'm thinking about 2 pistol wraiths or 2 bloat thralls as well for some ranged support. For a larger game I'll use eDeneghra using the Nightmare and Terminus with the Deathjack. eDeneghra can cast Harrowing on an enemy unit and a Deathjack charged with Demoniac will wipe them all in a single attack (and nothing can stop it after it reaps all the souls). Plus a Nightmare with eD's Stealth attacking the enemy warcaster carged with Ravager is always a good thing :P

Don't use Deathjack and Nightmare in the same army. I play Cryx and I don't want them banned. :lol:

Pistol Wraiths are useful little guys. You might consider Revenant Cannons as bargain bloat thralls.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Don't you mean 500 points? It's a fairly nice list, but you shouldn't give the Hunter to Junior. Give it to Kraye. Its light cav movement makes it STUPID good and far more survivable than it normally would have any right to be. Drop the Journeyman and replace him with a Squire.

Yeah, I guess it is 500, I must have had the wrong box checked in AoI. As for the Squire, it'll spend too much time playing catch up to be useful, and even without a Jack attached to him the Jr's worth his weight in gold if he keeps a Shield up and uses the other 2 focus on boosting his gun.

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Kraye is the one cygnar caster I can see not taking a squire with, although the thing has some passive abilities that it can use on the run, doesn't it? Or, if you want to go Tournament Style, couldn't you have it charge him when he only moves?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Most of the Squire's abilities are passive. Having it run after Kraye is no problem.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kraye needs the Squire quite a bit. 14 inch control area means you can spread out your jacks just a bit more to get that flanking attack in (Say, running a Sentinel behind a shield wall unit and letting it go to town.). Besides, he gets to have 7 focus to throw around! Considering how good his spell list is, this is very important. Besides, the Squire helps Kraye get rid of nasty offensive upkeeps like Crippling Grasp.

Hell, that's one other Jack to go well with the Full Tilt + Arcane Reinforcement combo. Same principle. Slap Full Tilt, give it Argane Reinforcement and it can fire again. Guided Fire will work because of the same reason Deadeye works on Arcane Reinforced warjacks.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well my Everblight Warpack arrived today, and just looking over this Carnivean... my god, what have I gotten myself into D:

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ThaKapn wrote: »

Bonejack - Defiler x2
    Unit - Bane Knights
    Unit - Bane Thralls
    Solo - Skarlock Thrall

Don't use Deathjack and Nightmare in the same army. I play Cryx and I don't want them banned. :lol:

Pistol Wraiths are useful little guys. You might consider Revenant Cannons as bargain bloat thralls.

Yeah pistol wraiths are awsome but other than killing the odd solo I find they get hosed by arc nodes or warcasters way too quickly. PS, I totally forgot about the Withershadow Combine and Bane Lord Tarterous.

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    404 wrote: »
    Well my Everblight Warpack arrived today, and just looking over this Carnivean... my god, what have I gotten myself into D:

Yeah, I hear you.

I got my Centurion in the mail yesterday. Dear god the kneecaps are separate pieces!

My guess is it was meant to be easily converted, which it is tempting me to do and I don't trust myself to do a good job of it...

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Try building the complete unit of bane knights. Now THAT is an annoying task! 9 Pieces for each unit is just madness. I put together a full squad which means 90, yes 90 pieces to glue together. Oh how I dispise you other factions with your 1 or 2 piece infantry...

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    eh they make bane knights a bitch to put together so every cheese dick cryx player and their mother doesn't rush out and get 30 of them with tartarus.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    eh they make bane knights a bitch to put together so every cheese dick cryx player and their mother doesn't rush out and get 30 of them with tartarus.

I hate the faggots that have the time, patience, and malign intent enough to do such a thing. It's not even fun playing against that. Worse than playing against epic Vladimir, I say.

So do we have any experienced Trollblood players on here? I just started playing eMadrak and wanted to know what others thought of him so far.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have 1 unit of bane nights and 1 unit of bane thralls and I havent gotten around to painting more than 3 of the thralls. Needless to say I'm not buying any more infantry AT ALL. I've come to realise that I hate painting infantry. A lot.

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I just got into Warmachine after playing a game with one of my buddies. Picked up Ashlynn and Eiryss without knowing anything other than that I wanted to play mercs and that Ashlynn looked awesome. After reading a bit about it on the forums I am going to try the Highborn Covenant. I really like the following models:

Mule, Nomad, Vanguard, Gorman Di'Wolfe, Alexia Ciannor, Nyss Hunters, Aiyanna and Holt, Ogrun Bokur, SteelHead Halberdiers.

Any advice on the models I should pick up next?

ObiFett on
This discussion has been closed.