As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Attendance numbers

proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
So, the official numbers on attendance will probably take a little while to get out, so why not start a little game: Closest guess to the official number wins... the satisfaction of guessing a number.

I'll start out with 74,000 attendees.

camo_sig2.png
proXimity on

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Evermourn on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Eight.

That's right, eight.

What? Too high?

Screw you, I'm going all out. Eight.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i thought we were looking closer to 45,000

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I believe i heard something around 40k for preregistrants, saying nothing of at the door sales

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Got to say lots of people.

Soda241 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd heard 50,000 prereg. Thus, I submit:

Houn on
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll second the 45,000.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    80,001. Hyperbolic guessing.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    We hit something like 37,000 last year, and since it more than doubles every year, I'm thinking somewhere around 75-80k this year.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    From what someone said, I heard of how they calculate attendance in PAX. Apparently, if someone attends the entire weekend, that is consider to be 3 persons. Of course this is entirely hearsay and I am not entirely sure about it. If anyone can verify or debunk it I would like to read about it.

I'm guessing the attendance is at least 50000.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    last year was what, like 35,000? there's no fucking way there were double the people there this year. it was surely more crowded, but i'd say about 20-30% more. 50% more, tops.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    is it closest or closest without going over?

i'll bid 50,000 bob

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We hit something like 37,000 last year, and since it more than doubles every year, I'm thinking somewhere around 75-80k this year.

at some point, you can't keep doubling...

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »

Lies.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CougRonCougRon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

only when we match the population of the planet. And if everyone gets busy we could still see a significant increase for the next year...:P

CougRon on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    52k.
    Generals wrote: »
    From what someone said, I heard of how they calculate attendance in PAX. Apparently, if someone attends the entire weekend, that is consider to be 3 persons. Of course this is entirely hearsay and I am not entirely sure about it. If anyone can verify or debunk it I would like to read about it.

I can't guarantee anything, but a lot of time attendance at shows is registered as 'turnstile' or 'through the door.' That means if you buy a three day pass, you buy the option to enter the con three separate days. This counts as three people, the same as if you buy three single day tickets. In that case, it essentially makes no difference in headcount whether one person goes Fri-Sun or goes only one day with two friends.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    nemaihne wrote: »

I can't guarantee anything, but a lot of time attendance at shows is registered as 'turnstile' or 'through the door.' That means if you buy a three day pass, you buy the option to enter the con three separate days. This counts as three people, the same as if you buy three single day tickets. In that case, it essentially makes no difference in headcount whether one person goes Fri-Sun or goes only one day with two friends.

This is how PAX is measured.

My guess is 42.

babelfish on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Garage attendent told us 75k. He got the number from someone he knows from the convention center staff. Don't know if it's entirely accurate or not, but seems plausible.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    52k.

Well that's what I heard too when a particular person discussed it. But I've been wondering whether all other conventions do this as well.

75000. Now that is a lot. Someone needs to book the entire place including the sixth floor. Wasn't it booked for another big convention 5 months before?

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    GameOver!GameOver! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    74,001 :)

GameOver! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I add another guess at 74,002

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    52k.

Well that's what I heard too when a particular person discussed it. But I've been wondering whether all other conventions do this as well.

75000. Now that is a lot. Someone needs to book the entire place including the sixth floor. Wasn't it booked for another big convention 5 months before?

in the past, from what i remember, we've gotten the attendance according to badge sales, not cumulative attendance of the three days. so each person counts as one.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Soda241 wrote: »

Got to say lots of people.

Price is right rules, right?

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    52k.

in the past, from what i remember, we've gotten the attendance according to badge sales, not cumulative attendance of the three days. so each person counts as one.

Attendance is by badge counts, but it's still counted turnstile. A 3-day pass is counted as three. (This from, again, "important" sorts of people.)

babelfish on
  • Options
    ElektroDragonElektroDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It was insane.

ElektroDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    babelfish wrote: »
    52k.

Attendance is by badge counts, but it's still counted turnstile. A 3-day pass is counted as three. (This from, again, "important" sorts of people.)

from whom have you received this information?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    Sleepy OneSleepy One Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

from whom have you received this information?

I have heard this information too.

Sleepy One on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As far as I know, without saying anything I'm outright not allowed to discuss, I think the counts are essentially done by counting amounts of badges they have remaining at the end of a day, rather than counting the number of badges they've sold. They know how many badges they have for each day, and the total daily attendance would be the removed portion. A 3-day pass, would then count as one person attending on each day, so it would count as three tickets sold. A 3-day badge saves you money, and saves extra printed plastic. The vast majority of sales would be based on 3-day badges.

b0wser on
  • Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

IT'S OVER SIXTY-NINE THOUSAAAAAND!

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • Options
    DreamReaperDreamReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I pooped in your fridge

DreamReaper on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's some stats from an enforcer who heard someone who heard some who talked to Khoo.

42k pre-registrations (or was it 43k?)

On saturday they ran out of one day passes. They had 2,500 printed in preparation. they had to set up several print stations and printed them out constantly as people bought them.

Little side story, but I saw a family go to the expo hall at 6pm saturday just after buying their pass. They were sad it was closed. I heard the dad/grandpa say he was going to ask for a refund. I hope they gave him one. That was kinda sad.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    I'd heard 50,000 prereg. Thus, I submit:

HAH! price is righ... aw I screwed that up didn't I?

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Here's some stats from an enforcer who heard someone who heard some who talked to Khoo.

On saturday they ran out of one day passes. They had 2,500 printed in preparation. they had to set up several print stations and printed them out constantly as people bought them.

Little side story, but I saw a family go to the expo hall at 6pm saturday just after buying their pass. They were sad it was closed. I heard the dad/grandpa say he was going to ask for a refund. I hope they gave him one. That was kinda sad.
    lol, i was walking to the omegathon final round on sunday, and i heard a guy with 2 kids asking where he could buy a ticket!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Yes, according to Khoo, it was 42k turnstile pre-reg. So, assuming 100% three-day pre-reg, that's 14k total pre-reg. That's still a hell of a lot.

babelfish on
  • Options
    Ghost117Ghost117 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just watch me get it right

Ghost117 on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's going to be the final omeganaught contest number (that "random" number). God damn Khoo knowing all things awesome.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

You can quote me on that.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    SimplicitySimplicity Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Simplicity on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    52k.

Correct, its turnstile.

Ill put in a guess of 59,000 :P
    Simplicity wrote: »
    Oh they have an article about it. It was 58,500 attendees apparently.
    http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/09/01/penny-arcade-expo-2008-58-500-attendees/

Damn, 500 off

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
This discussion has been closed.