As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jump Ultimate Stars

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wierdest thing. I was at my local Best Buy and i noticed a strange looking DS game. They were selling Jump Superstars there, eith a little label saying that it's an import game and in Japanese. Are they technically allowed to do this due to copyright restrictions? Cause i gotta get back there and grab one of those(had only enough moneys for new Weird Al and Memento at the time).
    That's really interesting, sounds like they're taking a Fry's Electronics post. If anyone else can confirm their Best Buy taking this up, then I might have to start visiting them much more frequently.
    The "import label" is the EXACT SAME as the ones you see on those games at Fry's.

I've seen Jump and Naruto at my local Best Buys too.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    B:L wrote:
    Wierdest thing. I was at my local Best Buy and i noticed a strange looking DS game. They were selling Jump Superstars there, eith a little label saying that it's an import game and in Japanese. Are they technically allowed to do this due to copyright restrictions? Cause i gotta get back there and grab one of those(had only enough moneys for new Weird Al and Memento at the time).
    That's really interesting, sounds like they're taking a Fry's Electronics post. If anyone else can confirm their Best Buy taking this up, then I might have to start visiting them much more frequently.
    The "import label" is the EXACT SAME as the ones you see on those games at Fry's.

I've seen Jump and Naruto at my local Best Buys too.
    Awkward. I wonder who their supplier is, so we can suggest games like Ouendan.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, Best Buy sells Japanese import games now, but only for region free systems.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    No Rock Lee makes me a sad panda.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    SousukeSousuke Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Akatsuki wrote:
    No Rock Lee makes me a sad panda.

Rock Lee hasn't been confirmed, but he may be in.

427c4ed8.jpg

That guy looks a lot like Lee to me at least. Unless someone else knows who that is?

Sousuke on
    PSN: Volteage
  • Options
    poik007poik007 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That's Gon from Hunter x Hunter :3

poik007 on
    DIYD_M3_bannered2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    There was a kid in the first game that looked a lot like Lee, but yeah, that looks like him.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    SousukeSousuke Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    poik007 wrote:
    That's Gon from Hunter x Hunter :3

Ah, good point, I completly forgot about him.

Sousuke on
    PSN: Volteage
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Imran:

Best Buy sells jap imports now...? Is that some kind of weird joke or is that true?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran:

Best Buy sells jap imports now...? Is that some kind of weird joke or is that true?
    Some do. I know mine does, at least.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Only once played multiplayer on the first, when I went down to London to meet a bunch of other PA-ers. None of my friends own or probably will ever own a DS. I still enjoyed the single player as makework, if nothing else, building decks was fun and doing random versus matches wasn't too bad if you bumped the AI all the way up. But still, yes, it's WiFi that's selling me on this, no question. ;)

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm an anime fan and whatnot, but I have never read a good comic in the Jump. What will make this game awesome?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    rayofash wrote:
    I'm an anime fan and whatnot, but I have never read a good comic in the Jump.
    This was clearly the best topic ever for you, then.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Honestly, Franky is all I need to make this a purchase.

"I'm feeling extra Supaa~ this week!"

LightReaper on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    rayofash wrote:
    I'm an anime fan and whatnot, but I have never read a good comic in the Jump. What will make this game awesome?

I'm curious.

rayofash on
  • Options
    3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I hope there are team online fights on this because we are gonna fucking brawl!

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    rayofash wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    rayofash wrote:

I'm curious.

Meh, I'd say it's still a pretty good 2D Smash Bros. game even if you have no interest in where the characters come from. I don't think there's a single really good series in Jump, though I enjoy reading some of them - but you'd have to be some sort of peculiar reactionary to despise all the artwork out of hand, and the game seemed reasonably well balanced and set out to me.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    jeffcjeffc Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    rayofash wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    rayofash wrote:

I'm curious.
    My reasons for liking JSS were deck construction (as crazy as that sounds) and the fact that it's as close to SSB on the DS as you can get right now. I also got a pretty good kick out of unlocking everything, despite needing to be tethered to a translation guide for the whole time. It was also pretty fun getting to know the various characters' movesets (I'm only familiar with the Bleach and Kenshin people).

jeffc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

YOU AND ME ROCKET AGAINST THE WORLD.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

YOU AND ME ROCKET AGAINST THE WORLD.
    :^:

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    just curious did anyone else use the Yugi / Shikamaru combo that I did?

I have shikamaru hold the opponent and then almost instantly summon slifer the sky dragon and cause massive damage.

I also have a Rock Lee / Yusuke combo.

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    MengerSpongeMengerSponge Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    jeffc wrote:
    rayofash wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    rayofash wrote:

I'm curious.
    My reasons for liking JSS were deck construction (as crazy as that sounds) and the fact that it's as close to SSB on the DS as you can get right now. I also got a pretty good kick out of unlocking everything, despite needing to be tethered to a translation guide for the whole time. It was also pretty fun getting to know the various characters' movesets (I'm only familiar with the Bleach and Kenshin people).

I agree with pretty much all of this. I didn't know more than 2 or 3 series featured in the first one, had never read any of the comics or seen any of the animes (other than occasional glimpses of DBZ on tv), and actually didn't even know about the Jump magazine before reading up on the first game. Despite this, I absolutely loved it. So many characters and unlockables,the smash bros-like gameplay, and the idea of having a deck with multiple characters was really interesting. Also matching the koma was strangely satisfying; It felt so good to finally get all the right single koma in one of the ones that takes like 5, after trying tons of different combinations.

My one complaint was that it was really difficult to play multiplayer, but this seems to fix that problem.

MengerSponge on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:
    just curious did anyone else use the Yugi / Shikamaru combo that I did?

I have shikamaru hold the opponent and then almost instantly summon slifer the sky dragon and cause massive damage.

I also have a Rock Lee / Yusuke combo.

No I do need to look into a few more combos though. I was more of the 4 Koma Sanji kinda guy. Toss in a 4 koma Sanji and another character then fill the rest of the manga panels with 1 2 koma girl and the rest 1 koma girls. Using Sanji's up + X move will over double your attack strength. Goku's Spirit Bomb Will 1 hit kill just about anyone. Otherwise 7 Koma Ichigo, 6 Koma Kenshin, 6 Koma (girl from Dr Slump) all do really well. Even normal attacks will hurt like hell. Also... its completely pointless since it's impossible to actually do this in normal play but boosting Gotenks with Sanji and using the ghost attack can do over 200 damage if all 4 ghosts hit at once.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    My main deck was a speed deck. I used 5 koma Sanji, 5 koma Kakashi, & 6 koma Kenshin. My favorite thing to do was a dream combo starting with Sanji, since he would end with a long kick combo. Plus, I could use Kaoru (powering up Kenshin) to heal.

I also made a Gon/Ichigo deck, but it's not as good.

This time around, though, I'm looking forward to playing a Kurama & Hiei (I love Yuu Yuu Hakusho).

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Any news on this? New videos?

I'M STARVED FOR NEWS AFTER TALKING WITH 3RDROCKET AND IMRAN MORE D:

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Why has nami only got a normal staff.

I-I hope she has a higher koma form with the climatact.

I l-love the climatact :cry: .

LightReaper on
  • Options
    DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zython wrote:
    Bleach
    Kuchiki Rukia
    Abarai Renji

One Piece
    Franky
    :^: <3

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What do you all think about the Naruto characters being post time jump?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    NeoflyNeofly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    HadjiQuest wrote:

About time?

Neofly on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Neofly wrote:
    HadjiQuest wrote:

About time?

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

I was about to go "JSS screenshots?" but then I realised there's a JUS screenshot with the same sprite...

If Nami gets the Clima-tact, I hope there's a Water 7 Sanji.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    DevKimiko wrote:

I was about to go "JSS screenshots?" but then I realised there's a JUS screenshot with the same sprite...

If Nami gets the Clima-tact, I hope there's a Water 7 Sanji.

What'd be different other than the clothing, Diable?

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Nothing Icon-dramallama.gifIcon-heart.gif

Though it would be cool if he had [spoiler:210d5b2dbe]his new Enies Lobby attack. I forget exactly what it's called. The one he used against Jyabura[/spoiler:210d5b2dbe]

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    DevKimiko wrote:

Nothing Icon-dramallama.gifIcon-heart.gif

Though it would be cool if he had [spoiler:44d8dc0966]his new Enies Lobby attack. I forget exactly what it's called. The one he used against Jyabura[/spoiler:44d8dc0966]

Diable...

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Diable...

Zuh? Oh, wait, haha. I didn't realise you were referring to his attack. I remembered it as 'Devil Wind', not the French language version. It's been a while since I read those chapters...

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Well i'm not certain, it's just what I think I remember it being, maybe El Diable.

It's a very badass attack for sure, doesn't make THAT much sense though.

[spoiler:b3c370dba7]Sanji would have to spin his leg pretty freaking fast to set it on fire[/spoiler:b3c370dba7].

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hey, I think that

namida4.png

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    :winky:

Though really, that entire fight was blatant fanservice.

Awesome fanservice though.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    One Piece? Logic? Naaah

Don't think about it too hard. Just admire its cool-looking-ness.

Wiki has it as 'Diable Jambe', so that' sounds right. I suspect 'Devil Wind' came from the Kanji (Jambe means leg)

DevKimiko on