As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fall/Winter 2006/7 Anime Roundup

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Further proof that Haruhi Suzumiya rules.

Whew. For a moment there, I was worried that you'd end by saying some one dimensional, self-centered brat was your ideally entertaining female.

Close call, eh? :wink:

Hey, if you're going to pick a self-centered brat, why not pick the self-centered brat.

Asakura Nemu?

Last time I checked, no one else has remade the world to her liking, so Haruhi's still in the lead.

Hey! I liked Dual!

Aroduc on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A little girl can barely hold a fucking gun much less fire one.
    Pretty sure she was a cyborg or something. And psychic.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A little girl can barely hold a fucking gun much less fire one.

but it's a girl, cybernetic enhancements, and the shitloads of little boys, running around africa with asault rifles, doesn't change the fact that it was a girl.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    She DID have cooties. I guess that explains a lot.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just realized that Light [spoiler:c6e56fb775]without his Death Note memories[/spoiler:c6e56fb775] looks a lot like pre-crazy Suigintou.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

And that makes it all okay?

Letter from Motoko Kusanagi to all her sucky wanna-bes: not going to happen. nope. never.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

Whew. For a moment there, I was worried that you'd end by saying some one dimensional, self-centered brat was your ideally entertaining female.

Hey, if you're going to pick a self-centered brat, why not pick the self-centered brat.

Asakura Nemu?

Last time I checked, no one else has remade the world to her liking, so Haruhi's still in the lead.

Hey! I liked Dual!

I laughed.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

Asakura Nemu?

Hey! I liked Dual!

I laughed.

I did too.

Also, fuck Shiori. I thought Aro was being overzealous as he often is, but really, fuck Shiori. Jun's still awesome though.

Elbonian Man on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

And that makes it all okay?
    Well, that would explain her unnatural strength and reflexes, yes.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    So anyway, if you wanna see what the Tokyo Majin game was like (sorta vaguely), here's a collection of all of Misato's attacks. There are no 'default' attacks in the game so, yeah, all her 'attacks' are buffs/heals until the last two.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=y_-xwMBpWmM

And part of where they may be getting the budget here is that it appears that the show is only scheduled for an 11 episode run. :cry: Hopefully that's wrong, but it's airdate just sort of stops at episode 11 and another show starts. So... boo.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Caught the first ep of Tokyo Majin last night, it was pretty darn good..

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Did Naruto ever get back on track? I gave up over a year ago after Naruto and Sasuke fought.

How about Bleach? Are they still fighting vampires?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Naruto isn't it seems. Bleach is finally starting a new chapter. In episode 113? I don't know, I haven't been following it lately.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The new arc starts in 110, though there's a 30 second teaser clip at the end of 109. Quite cool, though storywise you won't miss anything if you decide to skip it.

Smasher on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Chen wrote:
    Naruto isn't it seems. Bleach is finally starting a new chapter. In episode 113? I don't know, I haven't been following it lately.

Naruto starts up in two weeks. This coming week is the last filler ep.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Any word on whether or not there's going to be a third season of SAC?

Just finished the 2nd GIG... ehh, I thought the first season was far superior to 2nd GIG.

I dunno, it feels like they toned down a lot of the elements that made the first season great.

I still enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it still felt a bit far off from the first season.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jragghen wrote:
    Chen wrote:

Naruto starts up in two weeks. This coming week is the last filler ep.
    Oh, sorry, I don't actually follow Naruto. I've heard about the filler from friends who constantly remind me of their torture. Then I laugh at them. It's probably the reason why I'm avoiding it entirely.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Odd question, where did the Naruto filler start? I haven't watched it in forever, but I'm considering picking it up again. I think I left off somewhere in the low hundreds, 125ish, I think?

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    no fucking clue, but it seems like they have been bitching about filler for at least a year.

Last episode I watched was the one where bone sword guy fucked a bunch of shit up in a field. It was pretty bad ass.

redx on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Just finished the 2nd GIG... ehh, I thought the first season was far superior to 2nd GIG.

I dunno, it feels like they toned down a lot of the elements that made the first season great.

I still enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it still felt a bit far off from the first season.

Agree completely. Didn't care for 2nd gig nearly as much as 1st, but it's still great quality. I have no idea about a 3rd season, but judging by the international success of the show and the films, some future GITS is all but guaranteed.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2007
    DN 16:

Oh man, I feel bad for [spoiler:dd9bdc61fb]L. He looks so confused.[/spoiler:dd9bdc61fb]

Smasher on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    Odd question, where did the Naruto filler start? I haven't watched it in forever, but I'm considering picking it up again. I think I left off somewhere in the low hundreds, 125ish, I think?

135, I think. Looking at Wikipedia...yeah. 135 was the last canon episode. So not quite two years of filler.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    DN 16:

Oh man, I feel bad for [spoiler:21227bd046]L. He looks so confused.[/spoiler:21227bd046]

[spoiler:21227bd046]You can just watch his poor world being turned inside-out. Especially when Rem brushed Misa's hair.[/spoiler:21227bd046]

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote:

138, I believe.

I'm pleased with the announcement of the Naruto Shippuden OP/ED:

OP: "Hero's Comeback!" by nobodyknows+ (you may know them from Ouendan)

ED: "Shooting Star" by Homemade Kazoku (Bleach ED 2, Eureka 7 OP 2)

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So is this Melty Lancer show supposed to be a parody? Before the OP it seemed to be going somewhere, but then it turned into "anime cliche team, assemble!" with cat girls and magic girls, etc. Also, it lifted liberally from Wrath of Khan which makes me think parody.

It did have a great line, though, "Math has come in handy for the first time ever!" followed by "I'll never believe in math again." :lol:

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    JaynJayn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Agree completely. Didn't care for 2nd gig nearly as much as 1st, but it's still great quality. I have no idea about a 3rd season, but judging by the international success of the show and the films, some future GITS is all but guaranteed.

I prefer 2nd Gig to the first season (it felt more coherent as a whole than S1 did), but I enjoyed both and prefer SAC to the two movies. As far as a third season, not as far as I know but there is a movie that comes after the series, Solid State Society, which as far as I know has been licensed and I expect to see it here fairly soon.

I'm kinda hoping SSS is the end--my wallet started screaming around 2nd Gig disc 3.

Jayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So is this Melty Lancer show supposed to be a parody? Before the OP it seemed to be going somewhere, but then it turned into "anime cliche team, assemble!" with cat girls and magic girls, etc. Also, it lifted liberally from Wrath of Khan which makes me think parody.

It did have a great line, though, "Math has come in handy for the first time ever!" followed by "I'll never believe in math again." :lol:

I got the impression it was definitely a parody of many things spanning decades of anime and science fiction (though not presented in a comic fashion like say Excel Saga). It's got pretty much one girl from some of the big cliches (magic girl, power suit girl, bio-soldier, fencer officer, sex healer, and cop girl, don't forget the spoiled rich supervillain girl Vanessa ala B-ko from Project A-ko), but none of them are that powerful, they all have their asses handed to them several times. I felt like it was supposed to already be a 'given' that these were all experienced operatives who had been protecting the peace forever. Two of the girls do seem rather young for that however one of them is not a human (and might have a different lifespan) and one of them is actually not a little girl (you'll see what I mean). I didn't understand what you meant by cat girl but I realized you meant the bio-soldier Angela, they'll go into her a little bit, but she's basically the 'Green Peace' of the Melty Lancer. I thought she was more of a sendup to all the 'beast race' girls from like 10,000,000 JRPGs and animes than a straight-up cat girl. They don't really go too deeply into the characters, since it's only six episodes, we kind of get stuck with the cliches. For example, we don't get any deep explanation of how Sakuya can do her shield, or how Nana can suddenly mature into a beautiful woman from a little girl sorceress, they're just kind of goofy things that parody fantasy anime (where every soft spoken girl was the priestess with the shield spell and healing), etc.

I got the feeling when watching it that the girls were just there to appeal to different categories of oldschool fan that watched it. Somehow I ended up liking every character in the entire show...even the antagonists. That is extremely rare for me (the last show I watched where that happened was Haruhi).

The thing is it's based on a videogame which I haven't played so I don't have the background to fill in. My favorite part of the show is just the fact that it's exciting, never once did I get bored, and it's beautiful. There are a lot of thrifty little parody ideas (the Alphabet which is a James Bond parody), and the story blows up into this epic sci-fi ludicrous plot which probably will appeal most to fans of Giant Robo, Gunbuster, Gunbuster 2, Moldiver, Tenamonya Voyagers, and maybe Macross Plus. Most of those are OVAs I loved. It's only 3 hours long so I didn't have to sit through 13-26+ episodes and get bored, there is a lot packed into Melty Lancer that could probably be expanded out into many episodes but I am glad it isn't.

It's completely off the wall, I just loved it because it's a gem that I hadn't seen even though I had it lying around for years. It has some nice twists and deeper plotlines that are unveiled further in.

I'm not sure it's the type of thing that will appeal to many people, I don't remember it getting rave reviews or anything. I'm having a viewing of it for some of my oldschool buddies that have never seen it. I think they'll enjoy it.

I'm not sure how many people here would love it, but hell, if Gunbuster and Moldiver are your bread and butter, then by all means give it a whack.

If anyone has played the game (Aro or anyone) and knows more about it I'd love to hear about it. I guess it's by Bandai, Gonzo did the animation for the OVA.

Right now I'm finishing up Dokkoida TV series and the Hi No Tori OVAs. Both pretty damn good.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Jayn wrote:

I'm kinda hoping SSS is the end--my wallet started screaming around 2nd Gig disc 3.

It would be nice if they didn't beat it into the ground, but the success of GITS (films, TV series, etc) as a whole is pretty much a guarantee that something else is coming. This is the Japanese anime industry. And that is just how they operate. Maybe we'll get something which goes into the other members of Section 9 a little more. I love Bateau and Motoko to death, don't get me wrong, but a Togusa-led squad without those two would appeal to me if they were doing a 3rd GIG.

I still prefer the first film, original manga, and 1st GIG to anything else, but as far as I'm concerned, who cares, it's all awesome (I even enjoyed Man-Machine Interface despite the excess technobabble which guaranteed its failure). I'd much rather debate GITS versus all the inferior anime out there than debate GITS vs. GITS.

I would love for the industry to produce more mature shows with a tone like GITS, Ergo Proxy, Paranoia Agent. A large portion of the international anime audience is 18+, so I hope we'll get thrown a few more bones in the coming years.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Jayn wrote:

I would love for the industry to produce more mature shows with a tone like GITS, Ergo Proxy, Paranoia Agent. A large portion of the international anime audience is 18+, so I hope we'll get thrown a few more bones in the coming years.

I'm with ya there. Right now I'm testing out Texhnolyze, which seems to be getting off to a good start so far.

I couldn't really dig Ergo Proxy, I'm about six episodes in... the way the Proxy's look bothers the shit out of me, not to mention the main male character, his damn haircut. I know they're such superficial things, but agh! ;)

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    If anyone has played the game (Aro or anyone) and knows more about it I'd love to hear about it. I guess it's by Bandai, Gonzo did the animation for the OVA.

Right now I'm finishing up Dokkoida TV series and the Hi No Tori OVAs. Both pretty damn good.

Nah, no clue at all.

And Dokkoida is great, if for no other reason than dedicating an entire episode to mocking Sister Princess.

I've been distracted by rewatching the Burn Ups. We're overdue for another one dammit. It's a good thing there aren't more though, since busty female cop sentai seems to be a weakness of mine for some reason. The world totally needs more Burn Ups, Gunsmith Cats, MAYBE Dirty Pairs etc etc.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    I've been distracted by rewatching the Burn Ups. We're overdue for another one dammit. It's a good thing there aren't more though, since busty female cop sentai seems to be a weakness of mine for some reason. The world totally needs more Burn Ups, Gunsmith Cats, MAYBE Dirty Pairs etc etc.

I actually have a total weakness for that stuff myself. Some of the Burn Ups are better than others. I've still got my original Burn UP OVA on VHS, in the big old ADV black plastic case. It was like $29.95 when it came out

Gunsmith Cats and Dirty Pair ruled. I love a lot of the music from those also.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I couldn't really dig Ergo Proxy, I'm about six episodes in... the way the Proxy's look bothers the shit out of me, not to mention the main male character, his damn haircut. I know they're such superficial things, but agh! ;)

I agree. I was just using Ergo Proxy as an example of the tone of anime I really enjoy, but that show definitely fizzled out and I didn't feel the delivery was up to par with the promise.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote:

I actually have a total weakness for that stuff myself. Some of the Burn Ups are better than others. Gunsmith Cats and Dirty Pair simply ruled. I love a lot of the music from those also.
    I fucking love Gunsmith Cats.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Does Hentai literally mean pervert? Normally I don't pay much attention to the actual words as I read the sub, but that one jumped out at me when L said it in episode 16.

Smasher on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    Does Hentai literally mean pervert? Normally I don't pay much attention to the actual words as I read the sub, but that one jumped out at me when L said it in episode 16.

It's more along the lines of "deviant" it's usually used in the sexual sence though.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yep. Not to be confused with some other word that just mean strange or wierd. Which is to say, to intentionally be confused with a lot because it is a pretty common pun.

redx on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    yep. Not to be confused with some other word that just mean strange or wierd. Which is to say, to intentionally be confused with a lot because it is a pretty common pun.

"hen" means weird.

Casual wear Tokine :^: :^:

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What I hate about 2nd Gig is that I picked up the SE of Vol 7 for the tin and soundtrack, only to find out that it's sized for the SE DVDs, and not the regular ones.

So now I have to somehow find all the SE DVDs of 1-6 on the cheap. :(

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    What I hate about 2nd Gig is that I picked up the SE of Vol 7 for the tin and soundtrack, only to find out that it's sized for the SE DVDs, and not the regular ones.

I'm waiting until they put out a big ol' boxset with all of them, then pick up the 1st GIG boxset and the 2nd GIG boxset.

I hate needlessly spending money, when I know a boxset will be soon!

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:

I'm waiting until they put out a big ol' boxset with all of them, then pick up the 1st GIG boxset and the 2nd GIG boxset.

I hate needlessly spending money, when I know a boxset will be soon!

There's a SAC boxset out already.

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.