As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Rogues - Or how I stopped worrying and learned to facestab

• Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, they're saying that they're making DKs viable at dualwielding again next patch so maybe fist weapons.

JJ on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Very possible. I'm not keen on the idea of rogues wielding axes anyway, but who knows. The devs seem to be all about adding more weapon options these days (druid staves for hunters, daggers for druids).

Halfmex on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Of the three, giving fists to DKs would make the most sense since it wouldn't require adding a new talent (axe spec for rogues), and there seem to be more fist DPS weapons than any other type in WotLK.

forty on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I feel it's almost certain that DK's will gain fist weapons.

Though it would be kind of nice for my dwarf rogue to be able to use axes. Heck, dwarves should have a racial that lets them use axes regardless of class. Axe-weilding priests? Sure!

Lars on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Very possible. I'm not keen on the idea of rogues wielding axes anyway, but who knows. The devs seem to be all about adding more weapon options these days (druid staves for hunters, daggers for druids).

You mean polearms for druids, right?

Cause *cough* druids have always been able to use daggers.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    End wrote: »

You mean polearms for druids, right?

Cause *cough* druids have always been able to use daggers.
    D'oheth!

Yeah, polearms.

I don't know much about druids, I'm afraid. They're one of the classes I haven't played past the 'teens.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I play a druid but this question is applicable for rogues too. What do you guys use to watch your energy bar? I've found that my cycle is too complex to have to look into the upper left corner to see how much energy I have. Do you have an addon that displays the energy bar in a movable bar or do you just use your UI to move your portrait? Any suggestions?

shadowane on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    All pvp fixes these days seem to be arena fixes.

Welcome to ... well, God, I can't remember specifically how long Arenas have been out. But welcome to however-long-that's-been ago.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    shadowane wrote: »
    I play a druid but this question is applicable for rogues too. What do you guys use to watch your energy bar? I've found that my cycle is too complex to have to look into the upper left corner to see how much energy I have. Do you have an addon that displays the energy bar in a movable bar or do you just use your UI to move your portrait? Any suggestions?
    There are plenty of rogue-specific mods for putting an energy bar where you want, but a more generic "resource displaying" mod is IceHUD. It lets you put your health, energy/mana/rage bar, combo points, DK runes, etc. in the middle of the screen (or you can offset them to wherever you want with a little configuration) for ease of visibility.

If you want just an energy bar and nothing else to configure, I've heard of NugEnergy which probably does what you want.
    Dac wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    All pvp fixes these days seem to be arena fixes.

Welcome to ... well, God, I can't remember specifically how long Arenas have been out. But welcome to however-long-that's-been ago.
    Well, they first added skirmishes back in the major patch that prepared the world for TBC (so 2.0 back in December of 2006), but the first arena season (and when things started getting changed because of arena) was in March of 2007. So... over two years now.

forty on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Forty. I'll check them out.

shadowane on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    welcome to march of 2007!

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AXES!

AXES AXES AXES AXES!

Toldo on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, are they actually giving Rogues axes? That has some pretty awesome potential.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, probably not, but it was an assumption I made (ignoring the well-documented dangers of said action) based on what a CM said a while back.

Basically it boils down to two possibilities: either DKs will gain a Fist Weapon proficiency or Rogues will gain an Axes proficiency in the next major content patch (3.2). The consensus is that the former is more likely, but at this point I wouldn't entirely rule out the latter.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT

Nevermind, Patch Notes say otherwise, Rogues got axes. Ahahaha

Halfmex on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, probably not, but it was an assumption I made (ignoring the well-documented dangers of said action) based on what a CM said a while back.

Basically it boils down to two possibilities: either DKs will gain a Fist Weapon proficiency or Rogues will gain an Axes proficiency in the next major content patch (3.2). The consensus is that the former is more likely, but at this point I wouldn't entirely rule out the latter.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=65797.0
    After much quiet contemplation, rogues now possess the ability to learn how to use one-handed axes.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are there any one hand DPS axes in Naxx or Ulduar?

Halfmex on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

One. Drops from 10 man Yogg.

I guess they'll be adding more.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One would certainly hope. Maybe for some emblem of triumph rewards or something.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't suppose they're addressing the weapon mastery faggotry now that they're giving rogues yet another weapon option?

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Threw it in with Sword Spec and renamed it Hack and Slash.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    HAHAHA! Warriors and hunters taking daggers for years, now we have come for your axes!
    # Combat

* Sword Specialization: This talent is now called Hack and Slash and applies to axes as well as swords.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god yes, I've wanted this forever. So glad my rogue is currently sword spec'd.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man... part of me misses my rogue. The last played him, I was raiding Kara at 70...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Metacortex wrote: »

One. Drops from 10 man Yogg.

I guess they'll be adding more.

There's only like 4 one handed axes total anyhow. Of course, the other 3 are tanking axes.
    I'm not including the dozen or so pvp one handed axes.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    maybe the reason they are letting rogues use axes is because there are none they would want to use.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They're letting Rogues use axes because DKs and Shaman can use them and want to use them. Expect there to be more axes from now on.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yep, this is another step of their gear homogenization. The Coliseum will probably have some badass axes.

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Metacortex wrote: »
    Threw it in with Sword Spec and renamed it Hack and Slash.
    So "no" is the answer then. That doesn't make the rogue weapon masteries any less of a lame mechanic.

Also, isn't Sword Spec the worst one right now anyway? Or is that only for warriors?

forty on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Last I saw someone break it down Sword spec actually had a small advantage over fist, but this was before wrath when I know they made some changes to both. Not sure how it works now but pretty much every rogue I see is either Mutilate or Combat MH fist OH dagger.

Javen on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And there were/are no axes because no one really used them. DK dual wielding has always sucked (though 3.2 might change that, I know dick-all about Deathknights) and enhance shaman. Titan Grip made sure Fury Warriors were out of the picture so outside that one handed axes were the item that was most likely to go to waste should one drop.

Javen on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With all these changes and me focusing heavily on pve... i'm kinda wishing i was an Orc rogue now instead of an undead one...

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Soooo... what's the best leveling spec for 70-80? I'm on a PvP server, so I'm looking for something that's at least tolerable in open-world fights.

admanb on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Soooo... what's the best leveling spec for 70-80? I'm on a PvP server, so I'm looking for something that's at least tolerable in open-world fights.

Personally, having leveled a rogue right after WotLK came out, and pretty much making him my new main, I would go for one of two things based on your personal playstyle.

1) If you like stealthing, stunning, and being all-around fancy with your leveling, I'd highly recommend going with a Mutilate build that forsakes late-tree Mutilate talents for ~14 points in Subtlety. Camouflage and Master of Deception are excellent, underrated leveling talents that, when combined with Overkill and the heavy burst damage of the Mutilate ability allow you to destroy one mob in a single stunlock without taking damage. It is very efficient, very fast, and my preferred way to solo.

The basic idea is you: (a) Stealth right before you'd aggro the mob. (b) Cheap shot it. (c) Mutilate. (d) Mutilate. (e1) Eviscerate if you think it'll die or (e2) Kidney shot and Mutilate til dead. Quickly loot, run to the next mob, and start over again. (Don't worry about keeping Slice and Dice up, it's not worth the energy.)

Here's the spec. Following level 70, I'd recommend working your way down the Stubletly tree.

2) If you just want to faceroll your way to 80 and don't particularly care about doing any of that fancy stealth crap, I'd recommend the following foolproof Combat build. The basic idea is you just run up to a mob without stealthing and press your sinister strike button. When Riposte lights up, hit it. Keep Slice and Dice up. You'll have +6% dodge, +6% parry, and the mob will usually have -20% swing speed. It's pretty solid and very popular.

Here's the spec. Obviously, you'll want to move your weapon specialization talents around if you aren't doing dagger/fist. Also, I'll probably get some flak by not recommending putting points in Relentless Strikes, but you won't be getting 5 point finishers anyway, so it's no big deal.

Also, other points:

- Dismantle pretty much every time it's up (if you're fighting mobs that wield weapons).
    - Use Wound Poison on both weapons (obviously).
    - You should be able to utterly destroy any other class at your level, even if they get the drop on you. Just blind them when they do get the drop on you and re-stealth. Equip your PvP trinket. From there, if you're mutilate, drop them as you would if they were a mob. If combat, than just Cheap Shot them, hit Killing Spree, and then /lol at them. If for some reason they don't die from your initial barrage and seem very angry with you, then just cloak, vanish, wait 2-3 minutes, and try again until you win!

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Wait, so the PPM change didn't make instant better than wound for combat?

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    forty wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    Wait, so the PPM change didn't make instant better than wound for combat?

Without points in Vile/Improved Poisons, Wound still beats out Instant in DPS.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope they sort out the weapon competition and drops in the next raid. We've seen a ton of dagger drops (I got Sinister Revenge, Golem Sticker, and now Daschal's Bite, all on greeds partly because I'm the only rogue normally) but folks are fighting tooth and nail for fists and maces (And I haven't seen any of the swords drop). I'm the only rogue or shaman that has a CG (only one we ever saw drop and at the time I was the only one that really wanted it. Dps shammies were not on at the time). But now we have a ton of folks that want in on the fist/mace weapons and a couple of our shamans really need an upgrade. I think bliz forgot that a lot of folks started playing combat rogues and prefer the playstyle to daggers D: and that there's a ton of competition for those weapons.

powersurge on
  • Options
    superprokopsuperprokop Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't get me started on CG drops. First time I saw it drop was yesterday, and I lost the roll to a huntard. I was fuming to say the least. Looks like I am sticking to my swords for now

superprokop on
    Too big sig. Rules are for reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPI0C]
    Neyla wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    It's sort of like gay sex in prison. You shut your mouth and just grit your teeth and hope you don't come out with a torn rectum.

Limed for great truth.

I lol'd hard because it is so true...

I bet you didn't even give him the courtesy of a reach around!
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So uh, I'm Combat with fist/daggers, and I'm using Wound/Deadly. Should I be using Eviscerate or Envenom for PvE these days?

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    So uh, I'm Combat with fist/daggers, and I'm using Wound/Deadly. Should I be using Eviscerate or Envenom for PvE these days?

Since you're combat, use Eviscerate.

Toldo on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's what I thought, thank god I've been using it.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised by my performance earlier today when I ran my first heroic with my rogue for what must've been several months. 2.5k dps in a mix of blues and epics with fairly crap group buffs. My energy generation seems really slow, though--I've got Greed and an LPC (a relic from better times) with Berserking and Mongoose, respectively, and it felt like it was ages between Combat Potency procs. Could be just me, though. I'm more used to a mana pool these days.

Senshi on
This discussion has been closed.