As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The All Encompassing X-Thread: OP's x-gene activated

BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
WELCOME TO THE X-MEN THREAD.

The X-Universe is a big place and it's easy to be intimidated by the sheer number of titles that come out each month. But fear not! I am here to help you.

The main X-title is of course Uncanny X-Men.

x-men500painting.jpg
Recently celebrating it's 500th issue with a brand new creative team and status quo, this is the core book for all things X-Men. Based in the X-Men's new home of San Fransisco, it will feature of a huge rotating cast, Although there will be certain mainstays like Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Colossus, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Cannonball. Written by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction with Greg Land and Terry Dodson rotating arcs on art.

In addition to that there is X-Men: Legacy

XMEN215_cov.jpg
Written by Mike Carey with art by Scott Eaton, X-Men Legacy is essentially a Professor Xavier book as he tries to piece together his life both from the remains of his shattered memories (see: Messiah Complex) and the broken trust of the X-Men after his numerous betrayals. But Xavier is not the only character in this book. Rogue, Gambit, Sinister, and Sebatian Shaw are all major players in this title.

X-Factor
Xfactormc.jpg
centers around Jaime Madrox's team of Mutant Investigators. X-Men with a noir twist, these mutants for hire are based in Detroit. Although the book has been in a bit of a slump since the Messiah Complex crossover (mainly due to some terrible art), Peter David is still kicking ass in the writing department and there's a new artist on the horizon. The X-Factor team is made up of Jaime Madrox (Multiple Man), Strong Guy, Rictor, M, Siryn, Darwin, and Longshot.

xforce007_cov.jpg
M-Day and Messiah Complex convinced Cyclops that there are times when more.. drastic measures are needed. Enter X-Force. Not even the rest of the X-Men are aware of the existence of this covert team, who Cyclops tasks with special proactive missions to eliminate threats to mutant kind. Wolverine, Warpath, X-23, Archangel, and Wolfsbane make up the team. With Cyclops and Elixer as frequent guest stars. Kyle and Yost are the writers with rotating art duties by Clayton Crain and Mike Choi.

YNGXMEN006_COV.jpg
Young X-Men written by Marc Guggenheim with art by Yannick Paquette is a new title post Messiah Complex, featuring the youngest generation of mutants. The book got off to an extremely sluggish start but it has gotten progressively better. Stars Moonstar, Sunspot, Rockslide, Dust, Anole, Ink, and Greymalkin.

KINGSIZECABLE_COV_medium.jpg
Cable follows the adventures of the former mutant messiah as he protects the new mutant messiah (see: Messiah Complex). Chased through the timestream by fellow time-traveler and former teammate Bishop, who believes the baby Cable carries will bring about the dark future that he comes from. Again, this book was plagued with pacing issues through it's first arc, but has gotten very good as of late. Written by Duane Swierczynski (writer of Iron Fist) with art by Ariel Olivetti.

newastonishingxmen.jpg
Astonishing X-Men is the follow up to the tremendous Whedon/Cassady run. Now helmed by Warren Ellis and Simone Bianchi, think of this as the film version to Uncanny's weekly TV series. Taking place independantly of the other titles, though still in continuity. "Between the raindrops" as Matt Fraction says. Cyclops, Emma, Beast, Wolverine, Armor, and Storm round out the cast.

and finally, of course
WOLV070_cov.jpg
Wolverine He's the best he is at what he does. Currently the Wolverine title is embroiled in a long storyline by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven entitled "Old Man Logan." About a dystopian future where most of the heroes are dead, the bad guys rule everything, and Logan hasn't popped his claws in 20 years. It's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Balefuego on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Reserving the 2nd post here for more goodness later

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok so in X-Force this week:
    We learned that Warren does indeed switch back and forth from the feathered wings to the metal archangel wings, that the change can be triggered by emotional stress/sense of danger/self-preservation. That the change can be involuntary (although he is learning to control it). And that the change does bring with it a personality shift.. he's definatley much colder as Archangel, which makes sense of course.

Also, the Vanisher? really?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bale why not just C/P your old fairly awesome OP to this OP for starters? That way it wouldn't look like crap right now.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the thread is locked so I can't copy/paste the links

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Weak, one of the mods that forced you to make this thread should hook you up with them or something.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Don't worry I have a whole awesome OP planned out

I just can't really do it while at work

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok here's a question for those who are more knowledgeable in the X Ways than I am.

Other than Astonishing, which I own all 4 volumes in trade, what are some other just flat out super-awesome books to pick up? I honestly haven't read that much XMen stuff because I've found that its hard to follow. Self contained trades are more my speed.

I almost grabbed X-Men Legacy Vol 1 yesterday at the comic shop, but I was afraid. Yes, it was Jim Lee, but the book still used the old 3 or 4 color printing scheme, which I really don't like.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dark Pheonix Saga, just because you should.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok here's a question for those who are more knowledgeable in the X Ways than I am.

Other than Astonishing, which I own all 4 volumes in trade, what are some other just flat out super-awesome books to pick up? I honestly haven't read that much XMen stuff because I've found that its hard to follow. Self contained trades are more my speed.

I almost grabbed X-Men Legacy Vol 1 yesterday at the comic shop, but I was afraid. Yes, it was Jim Lee, but the book still used the old 3 or 4 color printing scheme, which I really don't like.

Well if you look at the OP of the old thread, I listed a bunch of good stuff which would help you get caught up on where the X-Men are at today.

Or did you mean older classic X-Men stories?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You'll want to grab Morrison's run on New X-Men.
    Also, everything after House of M right up to it's cancellation of New X-Men (not Morrison's run, I'm talking about the series that focuses on the kids at the Xavier Institute) is completely awesome and lays a lot of the ground work for both Uncanny post - #500, X-Force, and Young X-Men.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm not really referring to any specific era. Any book, old or new, as long as its as good as Astonishing (or better) is what I'm interested in.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll second the Morrison run. It had crap I didn't like (Cyc and Jean's relationship) but overall it's pretty awesome.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well like I said - check out the OP of the old thread (or it will be in the 2nd post of this thread once I can recreate it) for a rundown of all the recent X-Men stories.

If you're looking for classic stuff, you aren't going to find much better than the first two volumes of Essential X-Men - which started the modern era of the team, and introduced many new elements that are now considered classic parts of X-Men lore. The first 2 Essentials cover the entire original Phoenix Saga. Claremont's run lasted well past that point obviously, but those first 2 books are in my opinion required reading for X-Men fans.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I thought Essential Vol 1 was the Stan Lee / Jack Kirby stuff? It was the original 5 members.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thats Essential Uncanny X-Men volume 1 that has the Lee/Kirby stuff

The labeling is a bit confusing I agree

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There are multiple Essential runs for X-Men due to, well, multiple X-Men titles.

Here is Essential X-Men Vol 1, which is the one Bale meant.

Here is Essential UNCANNY Vol 1, which is PROBABLY what your LCS has.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sorry Bale beat me to it. I have the standard, "But I linked stuff!" excuse though.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Aside from the aforementioned Morrison/Whedon stuff there's Claremont's initial immense run (#94 to #270 or so). It remains the definitive take on the team. His first run. Later runs were very gah. His New Mutants run with Bill Sienkiewicz is great as well. Peter David's X-Factor (either incarnation) is well worth checking out. Recent stuff by Mike Carey has been very good. Wolverine's solo title has ranged from quietly Rucka great to blockbuster silliness Millar great to oh god Loeb awful.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I realize I am in the minority on this but I do not love Grant Morrison's run nearly as much as most people. It has it's moments but a lot of it really got away from what I personally feel the X-Men should be about and why I have always loved the team.

That said there are a few things about it I liked; Cassandra Nova, Sublime, Emma, the Weapon X stuff, and the final Here Comes Tomorrow arc I all enjoyed.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I liked the Loeb Wolverine run. In fact, I bought it specifically because Loeb was writing it. Apparently I'm the only Loeb fan on these boards. And I really dug the art too. It was really dark and gritty, and it seemed very appropriate for the book. I'm enjoying Ultimates 3 also.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I like some Loeb but I have to agree with Bogart that his Wolverine stuff was horrendous.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I liked the Loeb Wolverine run. In fact, I bought it specifically because Loeb was writing it. Apparently I'm the only Loeb fan on these boards. And I really dug the art too. It was really dark and gritty, and it seemed very appropriate for the book. I'm enjoying Ultimates 3 also.

I... I liked JLoeb's first 12 or so issues on Superman/Batman. It was big and overdone and exactly what I wanted from a comic with Superman and Batman. To stay on-topic, Morrison pissed me off with a lot of the things he did, but I still enjoyed his run overall. Like, it was probably something like the 3rd/4th best X-run that I can think of.

I'd go probably with Whedon's first, Claremont's original as second, probably Morrison's third. I might say David's X-Factor stuff as 4th. I dunno though, probably missing a bunch of good stuff.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The art on Loeb's Wolverine was beautiful, though sometimes guilty of unclear storytelling. The story, however, was just out and out terrible, loading tons of needless and stupid retcons onto a character already famous for being the Marvel buckaroo of bad continuity.

My favourite review ever on The X-Axis. Choice snippets from the above review: "A powerful case can be made that this is the worst Wolverine storyline of all time."

Bogart on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I'm finally going to pick up House of M. After reading NA #45 it looks pretty sweet. Just bummed that the hardcover is out of stock on Amazon's page cause its cheaper than the paperback

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You never read House of M?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    You never read House of M?

Nope, I've only been reading comics since last year. I started with some super sized collection of Ultimate X-men, then moved onto Ultimate Spider-man. Like I said in the other thread I didn't actually get into 616 X-men until after Messiah Complex with the Brubaker/Choi run

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I like House of M a lot, although it's almost more of an Avengers event than an X-Men event.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I like House of M a lot, although it's almost more of an Avengers event than an X-Men event.

Yeah, but I'm an Avengers fan as well and had been meaning to get around to it. NA #45 just made me want to read it "right now!"

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The last thread didn't have a Wolverine: First Class link, which is a shame because it's pretty good.

WFC20.jpg

WFC21.jpg

WFC22.jpg

WFC24.jpg

WFC26.jpg

WFC28.jpg

WFC30.jpg

And then...
    WFC32.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah, that was a good issue.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's classic

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    The art on Loeb's Wolverine was beautiful, though sometimes guilty of unclear storytelling. The story, however, was just out and out terrible, loading tons of needless and stupid retcons onto a character already famous for being the Marvel buckaroo of bad continuity.

My favourite review ever on The X-Axis. Choice snippets from the above review: "A powerful case can be made that this is the worst Wolverine storyline of all time."
    You know what, I don't know what it is about the inking on Bianchi's work (or maybe it's the colouring)... but it's always seemed too dark for it's own good to me. I generally like it, but I agree with the unclear story telling comment.

And I 3rd the notion that Loeb's run on Wolverine maybe be the worst Wolverine arc of all time.... or at least, in the current incarnation of the book. Man, I was so disappointed by that arc, but the short arc immediately after, when he was stuck in the pit was so good.

As for stuff you should read... this can be covered by the regulars a lot better than I could. But here's a couple you should avoid:

- Chuck Austen's "Draco" arc. Nearly ruined Nightcrawler it did.
    - Anything done by Claremont in the last 3 years. He and Jeph Loeb need to retire.

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ah yes, the Draco.

:x

Also, those Wolverine: first class pages are sweet enough to make me diabetic. Awwwwww.

Bogart on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So a friend here at work has gotten me into comics. He's let me read up on so much stuff and I think I'm hooked. I've read most of the House of M comics and most of the New Avengers comics as well.

But one thing he is lacking in is X-Men comics. I remember reading X-Men when I was younger and loving it, but my parents never wanted to put the money in to comics to make me happy, so I had to be happy with reading some of my friends or the one or two comics I would get a year.

With that being said, what is a good place to start for X-Men in terms of story and collecting? I would LOVE to start from the beginning, but I know that's not going to happen, so I'll be content with starting off in the beginning of a major story arc and going from there reading every comic along the way.

Thanks guys.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well you can pick up "Essential" volumes which are cheap. black and white reprints of the original runs of comics. There are a bunch of X-Men trades meaning you actually can start at the beginning if you're interested. I have the first few x-men essentials and while I'd love it if they were colour I still really enjoyed reading them

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks Virral. Is there a website where I can purchase them? I have tried looking on ebay, but it doesn't look like a good place to get comics from. Also, I don't care about what the comic looks like, black and white, or anything. As long as the story is there for me, I will be satisfied.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bale, I am disappointed in your lack of OP.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Thanks Virral. Is there a website where I can purchase them? I have tried looking on ebay, but it doesn't look like a good place to get comics from. Also, I don't care about what the comic looks like, black and white, or anything. As long as the story is there for me, I will be satisfied.

I generally use www.amazon.com, even factoring in overseas shipping (I live in Australia) it works out to be a competitive price.

Also, here is an absurdly helpful post to guide you through the muddy waters of the X-Universe. Using House of M as a jumping on point, here are the suggestions on what to read:
    So you got House of M

then following House of M there's

X-Men: Deadly Genesis. This follows up on a couple of loose plot threads from House of M, and is one those "dark secret from the X-Men's past rears its head" type stories.

Featured X-Men in this story include Cyclops, Marvel Girl (Rachael Summers), Wolverine, Prof. Xavier, and Banshee. Non-essential, but it does cover a couple of salient storylines from House of M. It's decent enough.

Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire is the direct sequel to Deadly Genesis. It's an X-Men/Starjammers in space story. Non-essential, but if you like X-Men in space... (and I do). Featured cast: Xavier, Havok, Marvel Girl, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Warpath, Lilandra, Corsair, Hepzibah.

Around the same time, X-Men: Supernovas features a new, more pro-active team of X-Men back on earth. This is where the build towards Messiah Complex starts, but again it's not absolutley essential. Featured cast: Rogue, Cannonball, Cable, Mystique, Sabretooth, Iceman, Lady Mastermind, Omega Sentinel.

X-Factor is sort of a side book about a mutant detective agency, but it deals heavily with the "street level" impact of House of M and also features one of the major characters from that event. If you like X-Men with a noir feel, you will probably like this. Cast features: Madrox (Multiple Man), Strong Guy, Siryn, M, Rictor, Wolfsbane, and Layla Miller.
    (There was also a prequel mini-series about Madrox that took place before House of M.) These are non-essential, although Madrox and Layla in particular play large roles in Messiah Complex. (There are 4 volumes total of X-Factor that come before Messiah Complex, although the trades for this series are smaller)

Uncanny X-Men: The Extremists covers the return of (some) of the team from the Shi'ar storyline's return to earth, to put them back in play. Non-essential.

X-Men: Blinded by the Light is the continuation of the Supernovas cast and leads directly into the Messiah Complex crossover. Essential if you read and enjoyed Supernovas.

Messiah Complex was a big event story that crossed over the 4 main X-titles at the time (Uncanny, X-Men, X-Factor, New X-Men). Essential reading, this sets up the direction for the entire X-universe for the forseeable future.

I also recommend Astonishing X-Men as a superb X-Men story, you can pick up all four trades on amazon now, or there are also two oversized hardcovers collecting the story (volume 1 out now, volume 2 due soon).

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Office distracted me from making my promised OP, I will make it today and the OP is going to be written with people JUST LIKE YOU Ryadic in mind so DO NOT DESPAIR

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awesome. Can't wait. I must say I was disappointed to find an OP that was less than helpful, but Virral was very helpful, and I'm sure that once the OP is up, I will love you for it. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.