Options

The American Presidency: I <3 them so much

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Oh my god Tina Fey repeating the interview verbatim is amazing

Funniest thing SNL has ever done wasn't written by them maybe they should be learning something from that

Is there a clip up anywhere?

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/couric-palin-open/704042/

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Funniest thing SNL has ever done wasn't written by them maybe they should be learning something from that

We've been seeing this clip a lot lately. It's never been more deserved.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    St. Louis should become part of Illinois. 'Course, that would mean MO never goes blue, but everything between StL and Kansas City is a cancer. I could do without it.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DHS wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    As a citizen of Boulder, CO, might I suggest Boulder/Longmont area be separated into its own little nation or perhaps bunched in with the yellow?
    A sovereign nation needs more agricultural production than just marijuana farms.
    Oh, so that's why Arizona is being grouped with us.

Also meth.

Basically Arizona would be alright if we nuked Yuma, Tucson, Apache Junction, and Scottsdale from orbit.

As long as not of that shit reaches Tempe, Mesa, or Phoenix, I am in support of this idea.

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Kathie I'd like to use one of my life lines.
    :lol:

When did SNL start having funny moments?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As a citizen of Boulder, CO, might I suggest Boulder/Longmont area be separated into its own little nation or perhaps bunched in with the yellow?
    A sovereign nation needs more agricultural production than just marijuana farms.

Also meth.

Basically Arizona would be alright if we nuked Yuma, Tucson, Apache Junction, and Scottsdale from orbit.

It'd be the other way around, considering the amount of military in those two cities.

The Washington Post has a half-interesting OpEd about McCain being the Alpha Male between the two candidates.
    There were no knockout blows in the first presidential debate of the fall, but John McCain outpointed Barack Obama often enough to encourage his followers that he can somehow overcome the odds and deny the Democrats the victory that has seemed to be in store for them.

It was a small thing, but I counted six times that Obama said that McCain was "absolutely right" about a point he had made. No McCain sentences began with a similar acknowledgment of his opponent's wisdom, even though the two agreed on Iran, Russia and the U.S. financial crisis far more than they disagreed.

That suggests an imbalance in the deference quotient between the younger man and the veteran senator -- an impression reinforced by Obama's frequent glances in McCain's direction and McCain's studied indifference to his rival.

thanimations on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is Boulder really more educated than Boston?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Have preachers endorsed a candidate yet?

Quid on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Also meth.

It'd be the other way around, considering the amount of military in those two cities.

The Washington Post has a half-interesting OpEd about McCain being the Alpha Male between the two candidates.
    There were no knockout blows in the first presidential debate of the fall, but John McCain outpointed Barack Obama often enough to encourage his followers that he can somehow overcome the odds and deny the Democrats the victory that has seemed to be in store for them.

It was a small thing, but I counted six times that Obama said that McCain was "absolutely right" about a point he had made. No McCain sentences began with a similar acknowledgment of his opponent's wisdom, even though the two agreed on Iran, Russia and the U.S. financial crisis far more than they disagreed.

That suggests an imbalance in the deference quotient between the younger man and the veteran senator -- an impression reinforced by Obama's frequent glances in McCain's direction and McCain's studied indifference to his rival.

Nearly every one of those "absolutely right" lines was followed by a caveat, but of course there's always going to be a few people who ignore that part.

This alpha-male crap is by far the dumbest tack either side's bothered to take with post-debate commentary.

Rust on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Richy wrote: »

Kathie I'd like to use one of my life lines.
    :lol:

When did SNL start having funny moments?

A couple years ago when - ironically - Tina Fey left as head writer and they got a whole new cast.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »

Jesse Jackson is pro-obama nuts on a fork.
    Wright hasn't commented on Obama's nuts yet.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »

Personally, I'm waiting for God's endorsement.

Rent on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't call McCain the Alpha Male. He's a lot older and has the POW thing going on - there is no possible way you can appear to dominate over him in the public eye without coming across as a big meanie.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    on the disscussion of whether or not florida should be red or blue

blue

I've used my time to canvass and volunteer for the campaign. I understand that my state is goddamn retarded, but sometimes you guys rag on us a little too much and it gets on my nerves

Weee! I'm not the only one!

What area are you working on, and how's it going so far? Things are looking good in northern Pinellas. Any dems we have have always seemed invisible, but this time around it seems they've found the courage to speak up and volunteer. On top of that, the results coming back from our canvassing seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Talking one-on-one with our undecideds and giving a caring local face to Obama seems to be making a real difference.

I'm hoping and praying and working for Florida to be blue. We can do this! ...and I'd offer the traditional cock-eating challenge if we can't, but that doesn't work the same for a lady. :P

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    There are only a few hundred thousand people in Alaska. They could just all be killed and replaced.

Fuck you. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rust wrote: »

Also meth.

Nearly every one of those "absolutely right" lines was followed by a caveat, but of course there's always going to be a few people who ignore that part.

This alpha-male crap is by far the dumbest tack either side's bothered to take with post-debate commentary.

ScarAndSimba.jpg

The ciiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiife...

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't call McCain the Alpha Male. He's a lot older and has the POW thing going on - there is no possible way you can appear to dominate over him in the public eye without coming across as a big meanie.

Bumbling camp elder?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jenosavel wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    on the disscussion of whether or not florida should be red or blue

blue

I've used my time to canvass and volunteer for the campaign. I understand that my state is goddamn retarded, but sometimes you guys rag on us a little too much and it gets on my nerves

Weee! I'm not the only one!

What area are you working on, and how's it going so far? Things are looking good in northern Pinellas. Any dems we have have always seemed invisible, but this time around it seems they've found the courage to speak up and volunteer. On top of that, the results coming back from our canvassing seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Talking one-on-one with our undecideds and giving a caring local face to Obama seems to be making a real difference.

I'm hoping and praying and working for Florida to be blue. We can do this! ...and I'd offer the traditional cock-eating challenge if we can't, but that doesn't work the same for a lady. :P

You can eat someone else's cock although that may not have quite the same implications are eating your own.

At any rate I am working day in and day out at college, otherwise I would hoof it over to VA and canvass. Maryland is damn safe anyway so there's not much point me canvassing in Baltimore.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JonnyBot wrote: »

Also meth.

As long as not of that shit reaches Tempe, Mesa, or Phoenix, I am in support of this idea.

Also Chandler, mainly because of it basically has no identity of its own and is basically a cancerous outgrowth of the slowly atrophying Tempe.

Which is sad, because Tempe is generally the Shit. In the positive sense. ASU is kind of a Hot Chick Mecca, and it is real easy to find friends there, ASU Football Game+Tailgating+Beer Bong= Godhood for a couple hours.

Mill Ave can fuck itself though.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/28/politics/politico/thecrypt/main4483562.shtml
    (The Politico) John McCain wasn't up there in Nancy Pelosi's office burning the midnight oil on the bailout deal that came through, but his top Senate surrogate has already hit the Sunday shows touting McCain's role in the historic breakthrough.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), appearing on Fox News Sunday, was careful not to give McCain credit for any details, but says he brought House Republicans to the table.

“I think it [McCain's role] was decisive in regards to the House getting involved," Graham said on Fox. "He said [to House Republicans] guys I’ve listened to you, let’s make this deal better for the taxpayers, but don’t go too far, you can’t sit this one out."

House Republicans were indeed in the final negotiations, but at this point it's not clear if the rank and file House GOP will like the deal that came out early Sunday morning.

And Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), tried to pitch Barack Obama's role in the bailout.

"Barack Obama was in constant touch with Secretary Paulson every day, sometimes several times a day," Kerry said. "Barack Obama was the first person to lay out the plan in the White House meeting. … John McCain took a pass and then was the last person to speak. … Most people believe what he did was interrupt the negotiations to save his campaign.”

While this who-gets-credit-now argument plays out on the air, congressional staff are actually finalizing the details of the bill that will likely clear the House and Senate tomorrow.
    So much BS.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Which bill is the one that will likely pass? The Dodd bill, or the ridiculous CapGains Suspension bill?

Houn on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That McCain ad is so, so stupid. Am I the only one who learned about "concession to the opposition" in high school?

Brutus is an honorable man.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ijvcK8P0ztXwMgir7NnkIy4rcI0AD93FQIA81
    WASILLA, Alaska (AP) — Though Sarah Palin depicts herself as a pit bull fighting good-old-boy politics, in her years as mayor she and her friends received special benefits more typical of small-town politics as usual, an Associated Press investigation shows.

When Palin needed to sell her house during her last year as Wasilla mayor, she got the city to sign off on a special zoning exception — and did so without keeping a promise to remove a potential fire hazard.

She gladly accepted gifts from merchants: A free "awesome facial" she raved about in a thank-you note to a spa. The "absolutely gorgeous flowers" she received from a welding supply store. Even fresh salmon to take home.

She also stepped in to help friends or neighbors with City Hall dealings. She asked the City Council to add a friend to the list of speakers at a 2002 meeting — and then the friend got up and asked them to give his radio station advertising business.

That year, records show, she tried to help a neighbor and political contributor fighting City Hall over his small lakeside development. Palin wanted the city to refund some of the man's fees, but the city attorney told the mayor she didn't have the authority.

Palin claims she has more executive experience than her opponent and the two presidential candidates, but most of those years were spent running a city with a population of less than 7,000.

Some of her first actions after being elected mayor in 1996 raised possible ethical red flags: She cast the tie-breaking vote to propose a tax exemption on aircraft when her father-in-law owned one, and backed the city's repeal of all taxes a year later on planes, snow machines and other personal property. She also asked the council to consider looser rules for snow machine races. Palin and her husband, Todd, a champion racer, co-owned a snow machine store at the time.

Palin often told the City Council of her personal involvement in such issues, but that didn't stop her from pressing them, according to minutes of council meetings.

She sometimes followed a cautious path in the face of real or potential conflicts — for example, stepping away from the table in 1997 when the council considered a grant for the Iron Dog snow machine race in which her husband competes.

But mostly, like other Wasilla elected officials at the time, she took an active role on issues that directly affected and sometimes benefited her. Her efforts to clear the way for the $327,000 sale of the Palin family home on Lake Wasilla is an example.

Two months before Palin's tenure as mayor ended in 2002, she asked city planning officials to forgive zoning violations so she could sell her house. Palin had a buyer, but he wouldn't close the deal unless she persuaded the city to waive the violations with a code variance.

The Palins, who were finishing work on a new waterfront house on Lake Lucille about two miles away, asked the city for the variance. The request was opposed by one planning official and some neighbors.

"I would ask that the Wasilla Planning Commission apply the exact same rules in this situation that it would apply to other similar requests so that our community can see that being a public figure does not give anyone special benefits," urged neighbor Clyde Boyer Jr. in a 2002 note to the city.

The Palins' house was built by the original owner too close to the shoreline and too close to adjacent properties on each side, including a carport that stretched so far over it nearly connected the two houses.

The Palins didn't create the zoning problems, but they should have known about them when they bought the house, wrote Susan Lee, a code compliance officer with the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, in response to the Palins' request. The borough, similar to a county government, makes recommendations to the city, which has final say.

Lee, in recommending the city reject the request, noted that the exception was needed to resolve an "inconvenience" the Palins experienced while trying to sell their house. In 1989, another borough planner told a previous owner that a variance for the carport couldn't be approved because it didn't meet required conditions and was a potential fire hazard.

But in August 2002, Wasilla Planner Tim Krug approved a "shoreline setback exception" for the Palins' house being built too closely to the water. He sent an e-mail to the mayor saying he was drafting another variance for the side of the house built too close to the property line, but that he understood from her that the other side "will be corrected and the carport will be removed."

Krug asked Palin to let him know if he was wrong in his impression that the carport would be removed.

A few minutes later, the mayor e-mailed back: "Sounds good."

On Sept. 10, 2002, the seven-member Wasilla Planning Commission unanimously approved a variance for both sides of the property, with language covering "all existing structures." Less than a week later, the Palins signed a deed to sell the house to Henry Nosek.

The carport was never removed.

Nosek said Sarah Palin didn't do anything more than any other citizen would have done.

"I sincerely don't feel that Sarah used her position as mayor at the time to get that accomplished," said Nosek, who no longer lives in the home.

James Svara, professor of public affairs at Arizona State University and author of "The Ethics Primer for Public Administrators in Government and Nonprofit Organizations," suggested such behavior is part of small-town politics.

"Small towns are first-person politics, and if people are close, it's hard to separate one's own personal interest and one's own personal property from the work of the city," Svara said. The key questions from an ethics standpoint include whether the politician makes a potential conflict of interest known and removes himself or herself from actions related to it, he added.

"I think in a small town there is a greater likelihood that people will accept that you will pay careful attention to friends and neighbors," he said, adding that there may be some local gossip about it, but not a lot of public scrutiny. "At the national level, there will be far more people watching, there will be far more pressures to come forward to try to influence the outcome."
    God fucking damn it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JonnyBot wrote: »

Also meth.

Also Chandler, mainly because of it basically has no identity of its own and is basically a cancerous outgrowth of the slowly atrophying Tempe.

Which is sad, because Tempe is generally the Shit. In the positive sense. ASU is kind of a Hot Chick Mecca, and it is real easy to find friends there, ASU Football Game+Tailgating+Beer Bong= Godhood for a couple hours.

Mill Ave can fuck itself though.

Yeah fuck Mill. Such a pain in the ass to get to work at night around there. I only say save Tempe as a whole because I work there for LifeLock. My pay and benefits are too nice to give it up. That and I live on the Tempe - Phoenix border.

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/28/politics/politico/thecrypt/main4483562.shtml
    (The Politico) John McCain wasn't up there in Nancy Pelosi's office burning the midnight oil on the bailout deal that came through, but his top Senate surrogate has already hit the Sunday shows touting McCain's role in the historic breakthrough.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), appearing on Fox News Sunday, was careful not to give McCain credit for any details, but says he brought House Republicans to the table.

“I think it [McCain's role] was decisive in regards to the House getting involved," Graham said on Fox. "He said [to House Republicans] guys I’ve listened to you, let’s make this deal better for the taxpayers, but don’t go too far, you can’t sit this one out."

House Republicans were indeed in the final negotiations, but at this point it's not clear if the rank and file House GOP will like the deal that came out early Sunday morning.

And Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), tried to pitch Barack Obama's role in the bailout.

"Barack Obama was in constant touch with Secretary Paulson every day, sometimes several times a day," Kerry said. "Barack Obama was the first person to lay out the plan in the White House meeting. … John McCain took a pass and then was the last person to speak. … Most people believe what he did was interrupt the negotiations to save his campaign.”

While this who-gets-credit-now argument plays out on the air, congressional staff are actually finalizing the details of the bill that will likely clear the House and Senate tomorrow.
    So much BS.

If they used McCains bullshit to fertalize the corn fields, we'd solve the energy crisis overnight.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »

So much BS.

If they used McCains bullshit to fertalize the corn fields, we'd solve the energy crisis overnight.

I thought we were treating it as currency and using it to fund the bailout? Or is that just Palin's BS?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gallup is 50-42 now. EDIT:

tl5xazv3nucritnggvi34q.gif

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I thought we were treating it as currency and using it to fund the bailout? Or is that just Palin's BS?
    Do we want to make our currency worthless?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is an awfully pretty picture right there.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Here's a new game we can play:

How many more times will Obama hit 50% before the elections?

Locust76 on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wonder if he'll hit 51 for the first time tommorrow

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Which bill is the one that will likely pass? The Dodd bill, or the ridiculous CapGains Suspension bill?

I'm thinking there aren't too many democrats willing to run this November on the platform of giving tax breaks to rich people, and that's how a capital gains tax break would look.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    also this too

j42t1cejzukvq4ipvthpgg.gif

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's sort of the Dodd plan, heavily negotiated. I don't think there are details yet but the initial outlay was cut from 700 billion to 350 billion.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    It's sort of the Dodd plan, heavily negotiated. I don't think there are details yet but the initial outlay was cut from 700 billion to 350 billion.

Anyone know if the oversight clause is still there?

It had better still be there.

Rust on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Nice, but I'm still wary of Gallup. If this holds through the post debate period, I'll be slightly optimistic.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rust wrote: »

Anyone know if the oversight clause is still there?

It had better still be there.

Yeah, everyone had agreed to that one and it wasn't really a sticking point. Implementing executive compensation limits, foreclosure assistance stuff, the huuuuge number, how to make sure we don't lose the aforementioned huuuuge number were the sticking points I think and I'm not sure how those turned out.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Roughly the Dodd plan, with a couple extra revisions:

(1) Only $250 billion upfront, with another $100 billion immediately available. The other $350 billion has to be requested, and then Congress has two weeks if they wish to vote against it.

(2) The House GOP's private insurance plan is in the bill, but it is subject to the Treasury Secretary's discretion. Apparently, Paulson can entirely ignore the provision if he wants to.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Roughly the Dodd plan, with a couple extra revisions:

(1) Only $250 billion upfront, with another $100 billion immediately available. The other $350 billion has to be requested, and then Congress has two weeks if they wish to vote against it.

(2) The House GOP's private insurance plan is in the bill, but it is subject to the Treasury Secretary's discretion. Apparently, Paulson can entirely ignore the provision if he wants to.

Seriously? The House GOP is stupid?

Or I guess they put that in for Phil Gramm if McCain somehow wins.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zephyr wrote: »
    also this too

j42t1cejzukvq4ipvthpgg.gif

McCain campaign: well clearly, through seeing these results, we can say that Senator McCain won the debate. Kind of like in golf. You want to get the lowest score possible in order to win. Yeah, it's just like that.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
This discussion has been closed.