As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: I <3 them so much

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gather coverage for a week? Are you kidding me? I mean, I can see it getting a little coverage if its confirmed and then likely a lot of coverage the day of, but beyond that it won't do much for McCains sinking campaign.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Gather coverage for a week? Are you kidding me? I mean, I can see it getting a little coverage if its confirmed and then likely a lot of coverage the day of, but beyond that it won't do much for McCains sinking campaign.

they're at the point, I mean, they literally can't see the reality of how this election is working, this would hurt them. They're fucking oblivious. It's not surprising coming from a candidate that doesn't use email. Who do they think this would help with? Shoving someone into the spotlight and spinning it how, exactly? Someone said it earlier but I hope to hell someone in the campaign writes a book about this and explains where these ideas came from. Rovian they are not.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just think that its disgusting that Sarah Palin, the hockey mom, is willing to shove her child into a marriage for the sole purpose of... getting some media attention so people don't pay attention to how meeeeeean the lib'rul media is.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is it really such a good idea to remind the American people that Palin was a failure as a mother?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just think that its disgusting that Sarah Palin, the hockey mom, is willing to shove her child into a marriage for the sole purpose of... getting some media attention so people don't pay attention to how meeeeeean the lib'rul media is.

I'm trying to think of the last shotgun wedding / media extrabaganza we had... and none come to mind. Pretty deplorable IMO

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder how pissed House Republicans are behind the scenes that they have to give all their credit to McCain for the negotiations on the bailout?

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

when i read this I thought well i cant be surprised by McCain anymore, but again I was wrong.

:Clears Throat

DAMN SON WHAT THE FUCK

lsukalel on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "a week of press coverage"

really?

at most like 2 days

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    shotgun wedding, live on tv

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, I could excuse the teen pregnancy thing, because that can happen even with the best parents, and I could overlook the awful awful names she gave her kids, because maybe that's just an Alaska thing, but exploiting her daughter's life like that to gain some political points? If this is true, Sarah Palin is a terrible mother, and I feel very sorry for her children.

Cantide on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    shotgun wedding, live on tv

I'm guessing primetime special on ABC, October 25. In... Colorado sounds right.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Brilliant

edit:

There will not be a wedding. There is no way that if it were planned it would not be known. People have to know when to show up for a ceremony, you have to schedule a church. Even "shotgun weddings" take longer than 20 days to plan

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Watch this Bill Maher video starting at about 1:50 in, it is Amazing and the best example of a double standard that I have ever seen.
    watch?v=bl3METtGx6U&feature=related

lsukalel on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lsukalel wrote: »
    Watch this Bill Maher video starting at about 1:50 in, it is Amazing and the best example of a double standard that I have ever seen.

When I saw the capital Amazing I was hoping for The Amazing Jonathan. Needless to say I was disappointed.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, why do conservatives fail at satire so hard?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Let's rephrase the Florida red/blue thing.

I hope that the Democratic party never has to win Florida again-because having to fight for the largest demographic in Florida shifts the Democratic platform disproportionately in a direction I don't like. I would be much happier with the platform the Democrats will have to adopt in order to win our generation over; socially liberal, fiscally and diplomatically conservative.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That Bill Maher clip is absolutely hilarious.

reVerse on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »

Brilliant

edit:

There will not be a wedding. There is no way that if it were planned it would not be known. People have to know when to show up for a ceremony, you have to schedule a church. Even "shotgun weddings" take longer than 20 days to plan
    Nothing is impossible with enough money backing your demands. I don't know if she has it or would use it, but ... it's not impossible.

Maybe highly unlikely and difficult, but it could be done. You have to remember that the allure of coverage will have every involved party bending over backwards to make it happen on that arbitrary deadline if they went with it -- every florist wants to be that florist, every church wants to be that church.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nothing about seing Bristol get married is going to make Joe Sixpack vote for McCain.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I meant to put this in the Presidency thread and accidentally posted it in the debate thread. So here I go again.

The Washington Post has an absolutely brilliant write-up on Thursday's White House meeting over the bailout bill. They apparently managed to get a few people to talk, because they have a pretty thorough play-by-play on how the day's events unfolded. I encourage you to go read the entire thing, but here's some of the meat.

When Sen. John McCain made his way to the Capitol office of House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) just past noon on Thursday, he intended to "just touch gloves" with House Republican leaders, according to one congressional aide, and get ready for the afternoon bailout summit at the White House.

Instead, Rep. Paul D. Ryan (Wis.), the ranking Republican on the House Budget Committee, was waiting to give him an earful. The $700 billion Wall Street rescue, as laid out by Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr., was never going to fly with House Republicans, Ryan said. The plan had to be fundamentally reworked, relying instead on a new program of mortgage insurance paid not by the taxpayers but by the banking industry.

McCain listened, then, with Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.), he burst into the Senate Republican policy luncheon. Over a Tex-Mex buffet, Sens. Robert F. Bennett (Utah) and Judd Gregg (N.H.) had been explaining the contours of a deal just reached. House Republicans were not buying it. Then McCain spoke.

"I appreciate what you've done here, but I'm not going to sign on to a deal just to sign the deal," McCain told the gathering, according to Graham and confirmed by multiple Senate GOP aides. "Just like Iraq, I'm not afraid to go it alone if I need to."

For a moment, as Graham described it, "you could hear a pin drop. It was just unbelievable." Then pandemonium. By the time the meeting broke up, the agreement touted just hours before -- one that Sen. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), the No. 3 GOP leader, estimated would be supported by more than 40 Senate Republicans -- was in shambles...

In truth, McCain's dramatic announcement Wednesday that he would suspend his campaign and come to Washington for the bailout talks had wide repercussions.

Democrats, eager to reach a deal before McCain could claim credit, hunkered down and made real progress ahead of his arrival. Conservative Republicans in the House reacted as well, according to aides who were part of the talks.

The Republican Study Committee, an enclave of House conservatives, had already begun turning against the Paulson plan. When McCain announced his return, the conservatives feared he would forge an agreement largely along Paulson's lines, with slight alterations and the GOP leadership's blessing...

It was Ryan who made it most clear that there really was no deal. The core of Paulson's plan -- using $700 billion in taxpayer money to buy distressed assets from failing financial firms -- had to be changed, he told McCain. Instead, banks should have to pony up money for a new federally administered insurance program, like the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Banks suffering from mortgage defaults would then be able to draw funds from the insurance pool to remain solvent...

"McCain has been trying to help the House guys, trying to get their ideas into the broader bill," said a senior Republican Senate aide. "If McCain can do that, he can bring 50 to 100 House Republicans to the bill. That would be a big damn deal."

McCain and Graham made just that point at the Tex-Mex lunch, but McCain also spoke in the starkly personal terms of a presidential candidate in trouble: "You all put me on the hook for $700 billion," he told his colleagues, according to an aide familiar with the lunch.

The breakdown was serious enough that word reached Paulson. Just 25 minutes before the scheduled meeting at the White House, Paulson phoned House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to alert her to trouble, according to a Senate Democratic leadership aide. When congressional leaders converged on the White House, the Democrats peeled off into the Roosevelt Room to discuss the revolt over the insurance plan. President Bush was kept waiting, something he has always hated.

After the cameras left the Cabinet room...Pelosi said Obama would speak for the Democrats. Though later he would pepper Paulson with questions, according to a Republican in the room, his initial point was brief: "We've got to get something done."...

Boehner was blunt. The plan Paulson laid out would not win the support of the vast majority of House Republicans. It had been improved on the edges, with an oversight board and caps on the compensation of participating executives. But it had to be changed at the core. He did not mention the insurance alternative, but Democrats did. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, pressed Boehner hard, asking him if he really intended to scrap the deal and start again.

No, Boehner replied, he just wanted his members to have a voice. Obama then jumped in to turn the question on his rival: "What do you think of the [insurance] plan, John?" he asked repeatedly. McCain did not answer.

One Republican in the room said it was clear that the Democrats came into the meeting with a "game plan" aimed at forcing McCain to choose between the administration and House Republicans. "They had taken McCain's request for a meeting and trumped it," said this source.

Congressional aides from both parties were standing in the lobby of the West Wing, unaware of the discord inside the Cabinet room, when McCain emerged alone, shook the hands of the Marines at the door and left. The aides were baffled. The plan had been for a bipartisan appearance before the media, featuring McCain, Obama and at least a firm statement in favor of intervention. Now, one of the leading men was gone.

The rest of the actors poured out of the room still highly agitated. Democrats clustered in the hall between the lobby and the Oval Office, pressing Bachus to explain what had happened to the deal. The Democrats discussed whether to go before the cameras waiting in front of the White House, but Obama refused. Without McCain next to him, he said, he would be skewered for using the White House as a backdrop. As the talk grew louder, Obama asked if they could duck into a room, and back they went to the ornate, windowless Roosevelt Room.

It was then that Paulson gingerly walked in to beg, "Don't blow this up, please." The secretary feared that Democrats would throw their hands up and declare the deal dead.

The crowd erupted in unison, all barking at Paulson that they were not the problem -- he needed to talk to his own party. Under the barrage, Paulson dropped to one knee, clasped his hands in front of his face as if he were praying and joked: "Please, please, don't blow this up. Give me some time."

"Hank," Pelosi replied, "I didn't know you were Catholic."
    I realize it was, like, 8 pages ago, but holy shit, what the fuck? We have John McCain, who admits he doesn't understand a goddamn thing about the economy, making these kinds of decisions for the entire country?

We're fucked.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Nothing about seing Bristol get married is going to make Joe Sixpack vote for McCain.
    You have a lot more confidence in Joe Sixpack than I do.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    usa_color.gif

United States - pah. Let's break it up.

The South tried this already and the Republicans invaded them.
    I vote the Northeast become the Atlantic Commonwealth.

I thought it was called the Big East.

And why is Nevada in the Pac-10 in the provided map?

KevinNash on
  • Options
    chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The thing is, if they have this big, expensive wedding in the middle of an economic crisis, won't it send the wrong message to voters? I mean, yeah the average American will have the initial "awww" moment but then when they read that the wedding cost 100k and the dress cost say 10k and they are struggling because milk is 4.50 a gallon, won't that backfire on the McCain campaign?

chaosbear on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You have a lot more confidence in Joe Sixpack than I do.

Maybe i'm just a sad cynical man who hates wedding and people in general, but I don't think the average man will care about some powerful Politician who lives on the outskirts of the continent's knocked up daughter is getting married (Especialy when it'll probley be lavish) when they cant even find work.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    Wayne Gilchrest, a lame duck Republican who lost his House primary back in February, is voting for Obama.

He was outspoken against the war and the Republican machine pulled all the funding and campaign help and replaced him with a neocon lapdog.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    usa_color.gif

What the fuck is this shit, man? We are not taking Florida-lite. Arizona goes with Texas and New Mexico. And shouldn't Hawaii be with California, and Alaska be with Washington? I mean, a shitload of the people who work in Alaska maintain homes in Washington, and a lot of people maintain split their time between the two states. My bank is based in Alaska.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    usa_color.gif

What the fuck is this shit, man? We are not taking Florida-lite. Arizona goes with Texas and New Mexico.

You are lucky, I have to take Florida full flavor/

Jokerman on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Re: Georgia as a part of the new confederate union.

Most of the piedmont region would probably separate from Georgia and ally with the saner parts of the country.

edit: See if you can guess which region I'm talking about.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What the fuck is this shit, man? We are not taking Florida-lite. Arizona goes with Texas and New Mexico.
    You are lucky, I have to take Florida full flavor/
    Hey, if the rest of the New Confederacy wants to kick Florida out to be their own little country, I don't think there's anyone on the planet who would blame them.

Except maybe Floridians, but really, they made their bed; they can lay in it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want Florida to be blue because I want as much blue as possible.

Unless every state is blue except them. Then the country can give then a unified "fuck you".

Scooter on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When the characters in a television show get married, that's usually when the ratings drop. If you ask me, going through with this to revive a campaign would be like jumping the shark.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you don't understand how this wedding could help alot you are pretty out of touch.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Re: Georgia as a part of the new confederate union.

Most of the piedmont region would probably separate from Georgia and ally with the saner parts of the country.

edit: See if you can guess which region I'm talking about.

Atlanta can be the new West Berlin!

Don't expect any airdrops.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    If you don't understand how this wedding could help alot you are pretty out of touch.

Yes, because reminding everyone that it's a shotgun wedding to cover for the original pregnancy happening out of wedlock in what would have to be a rushed wedding wouldn't come off at all as a political ploy. Every girl dreams of a rushed wedding held in front of the national media and tabloids.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When the characters in a television show get married, that's usually when the ratings drop. If you ask me, going through with this to revive a campaign would be like jumping the shark.
    Well there goes the October Surprise: John McCain jumping over a shark on waterskies.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To be cynical, how the wedding played out would have a great deal to do with how visibly pregnant Bristol Palin is at the time.
    If she's not showing, it'll like like the inevitable wedding at the end of a disney movie, and some people at least will eat it up.
    If she is showing, on the other hand, it's going to make the Palins look like white trash.
    So, if they're hell-bent on getting a poll bump out of this they need to do it quick. What is she, like six months or so along?

Duffel on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Even if she is visibly pregnant it could potentially still turn out well for them.

But yeah, if she is not showing that shit is election gold.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

And in this case, it's not like it's one of the regular characters either 'cause they're all married already. This is like bringing back a minor character who was in a few episodes during an earlier season of the show and hoping the audience cares enough to eat it up.

reVerse on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Am I the only one hoping for a large televised debate, and when the priest say "do you take each other in marriage" they both reply "fuck no, we're not getting married just so that psycho Sarah can win an election"?

Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.