As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW: The New BLT: Bacon of LighT [Chat and General Discussion]

• Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so uhmm, do you get WotLK beta keys from WoWExpansionBeta@blizzard.com?

i'm just wanting to make sure this is legit...even though there are no links and the key is right there in the email. :P

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you have a key, manually go to beta.worldofwarcraft.com and try entering it there. If it works, hooray, if it doesn't, it was a fake but no skin off your back.

Opty on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Bah, it's so hard to get anyone to protect Brewfest during the Dark Iron attack on my server. They mostly stand around and watch it, or jump around enjoying the knockback. And I quickly found out a single drunken dwarf cannot protect the camp by himself.
    Those extra 10 tokens a day (which I haven't gotten since the beginning of the event) would really help me get the 400 tokens I need to get all the crap I want. Any suggestions on the best time of day for people to actually participate?

Also, I'm now stuck trying to figure out how best to spend my honor/marks before they're erased. Do I just buy whatever I can that's an upgrade and then ignore BGs, or do I actually focus on BGs and try to get a bunch of stuff before it gets whiped out?

It's the same for the horde on Windrunner most fight to stand on top of that one keg near the latrines
    so when they break it open they are floating

usually the people dueling nearby will help for a break in the afternoon. Today I get the keg and beer of the month since that is all I wanted

I would go into ironforge and ask? you might find a few who are bored enough to give it a try for 5 minutes

If I am in the area I will try to help fight them off, I was on a level 20 Orc Rogue when one happened yesterday, I did what I could and got knocked twice before landing on the roof of one of the vendor tents. So I had a pretty good spot for the rest of the battle.

Seg on
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Before BC, prot pallies had more threat generation than god, single-target at least.

If god can do anything, can he make a tank that even he can't pull aggro off?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kagnaros wrote: »
    so uhmm, do you get WotLK beta keys from WoWExpansionBeta@blizzard.com?

i'm just wanting to make sure this is legit...even though there are no links and the key is right there in the email. :P

Mine came from that address.

Seg on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raid Leader: Hey guys, were down one healer tonight - can any of you hybrids respec and fill the role?
    Pure DPS Class: :(
    Raid Leader: Oh we also need a tank, and druids or pallies want to man up?
    Pure DPS Class: :(
    Raid Leader: Some fights are going to require more healing than others, so some of you pure dps are going to have to sit out so we can take ret pallies / feral druids / elemental shamans who can off heal in healing gear for fights that arent dps races or only require 1 tank/more healers.

What? If you're sad that you can't heal in your guild's time of need, on your rogue, you rolled the wrong class. You rolled a rogue/mage/warlock/hunter because you want to DPS. At least, that's the logical conclusion. And for the record, most of the hybrids die a little on the inside when we're asked to respec to heal/tank/whatever. You think it's a blessing, we think it's a curse.

In regards to rogues "taking more damage in raids because of leather etc," 90% of damage taken in a raid setting is some sort of magical AOE. For starters, that ignores armor. Secondly, any warrior worth his salt is taking 10% extra damage from said AoE, as Zerker Stance -with its archaic penalty- is the only stance.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I need some halp.

Moved in with g/f, she likes to do this thing called "sleeping" or something in the evening, while I play WoW. I bought myself a set of "Open-air" headphones and while there are some holes on the side of the headphones, my head still gets ridiculously hot from wearing the things. Unfortunately I have this problem with most headphones.

Any of you able to suggest a set of headphones that will keep my head nice and cool?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    I need some halp.

Moved in with g/f, she likes to do this thing called "sleeping" or something in the evening, while I play WoW. I bought myself a set of "Open-air" headphones and while there are some holes on the side of the headphones, my head still gets ridiculously hot from wearing the things. Unfortunately I have this problem with most headphones.

Any of you able to suggest a set of headphones that will keep my head nice and cool?

Buy her earplugs. :D

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    NezzarNezzar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In regards to rogues "taking more damage in raids because of leather etc," 90% of damage taken in a raid setting is some sort of magical AOE. For starters, that ignores armor. Secondly, any warrior worth his salt is taking 10% extra damage from said AoE, as Zerker Stance -with its archaic penalty- is the only stance.

I might even argue that rogues have the highest survivability of all melee classes/specs in raids thanks to Cloak of Shadows and (to a lesser extent) evasion/sprint. I can't count the times CoS has saved my ass or at least made the life of our healers easier. "OH FUCK DOOMFIRE...uh...nevermind."

Nezzar on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I need some halp.

It can be a comfort thing, but have you tried something in an ear bud style? They tend to not radiate as much noise and they shouldn't cause much heat build up.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What? If you're sad that you can't heal in your guild's time of need, on your rogue, you rolled the wrong class. You rolled a rogue/mage/warlock/hunter because you want to DPS. At least, that's the logical conclusion. And for the record, most of the hybrids die a little on the inside when we're asked to respec to heal/tank/whatever. You think it's a blessing, we think it's a curse.
    But see, one could alternatively say that if you rolled a hybrid to specifically do DPS only, ever, then you also rolled the wrong class. Is it reasonable to expect you to respec to tank if need be? Not necessarily, no. But it's not unreasonable to ask, because you have the capability. Maybe not for endgame instances, but for five-man and early ten-man stuff, absolutely.

A group of two rogues, a lock, a hunter and a mage can't accomplish anything. But a group of a mage, two rogues, a ret pally and a DPS warrior could, with a couple of respecs, get through pretty much any five man instance out there. It doesn't matter how many ways DPS classes can do DPS, the point is, that's all they can do. They don't have the option of respeccing, and while I understand playing a hybrid for one particular reason (DPS) because that's what you want to do (I have a warrior who I rolled specifically for DPS that I vowed never to tank with because I don't want to deal with that), you should at least be able to understand where the dps-only classes are coming from. The homogenization of the classes is beneficial in some ways, but because blizzard has six hybrids and four 'pure' classes, there are going to be some annoyed players out there.

Again though, a "simple" fix to this would be to make the 'pure' classes hybrids too. I frankly wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, because then the "too much DPS, not enough tanks/healers" scenario would almost be a thing of the past.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I copied my pally over to the PTR to try out the tanking stuff. Do the usual tests and what not and figured I'd run UD strat for the hell of it.

Guess what fucking dropped.

Got it?

THE FUCKING DEATHCHARGERS REIGNS ON THE PTR! :x:evil::x:cry:cry:

Someone needs to die for this.

Corran on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I need some halp.

It can be a comfort thing, but have you tried something in an ear bud style? They tend to not radiate as much noise and they shouldn't cause much heat build up.

Yeah I have a couple sets from my Iphone/Ipod purchases, but after about 30 or so minutes they hurt my ears something fierce.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Corran wrote: »
    So I copied my pally over to the PTR to try out the tanking stuff. Do the usual tests and what not and figured I'd run UD strat for the hell of it.

Got it?

SS or it didn't happen.

I refuse to believe this.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Is it reasonable to expect you to respec to tank if need be? Not necessarily, no. But it's not unreasonable to ask, because you have the capability. Maybe not for endgame instances, but for five-man and early ten-man stuff, absolutely.

And any hybrid worth his weight in beer would do it. It just doesn't necessarily fill us with pure joy. :)

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rogues should be given a tanking tree.

An evasion tanking tree, like Ninja's (or whatever they are called) in FF Online.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But see, one could alternatively say that if you rolled a hybrid to specifically do DPS only, ever, then you also rolled the wrong class. Is it reasonable to expect you to respec to tank if need be? Not necessarily, no. But it's not unreasonable to ask, because you have the capability. Maybe not for endgame instances, but for five-man and early ten-man stuff, absolutely.

A group of two rogues, a lock, a hunter and a mage can't accomplish anything. But a group of a mage, two rogues, a ret pally and a DPS warrior could, with a couple of respecs, get through pretty much any five man instance out there.
    Yeah, all that str and +crit gear the pally is wearing will be fucking awesome for healing.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Got it?

Man that really sucks.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Got it?

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

No seriously man, my heart does go out to you. That blows.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Got it?

Oh wow, that sucks.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    A group of two rogues, a lock, a hunter and a mage can't accomplish anything. But a group of a mage, two rogues, a ret pally and a DPS warrior could, with a couple of respecs, get through pretty much any five man instance out there.
    Yeah, all that str and +crit gear the pally is wearing will be fucking awesome for healing.
    In a five man? Yeah, it'd get you through, because even though it's got some +crit, it's still got spellpower. It's not going to help you MT or MH Arthas, no, but it gives you more utility than a pure class.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Got it?

Oh jesus that blows

holy god

I'd contact a GM and beg my balls off to let me keep it on live

I mean come on, that's a 'once in ten lifetimes' thing right there

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In a five man? Yeah, it'd get you through, because even though it's got some +crit, it's still got spellpower. It's not going to help you MT or MH Arthas, no, but it gives you more utility than a pure class.

Actually, with the "homogenization" (I'm so tired of that word), +crit will help quite a bit for the DPS pally/druid/shaman temporarily specced for heals.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The most amazing part of that statement is that it's not sarcastic at all. :^:

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

At 80 Ret Paladin gear does not have spell power on it, at all. There is the amount you get from Sheath of Light, but that's it.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    Tricks of the trade isn't exactly amazing, it also isn't needed considering generating threat in WOTLK as it currently stands is easier than rolling your face across the keyboard.

The other problem with equal dps is liability, and rogues are the worst there. We have to stand in melee range of the big bad boss with our shitty leather armour and eat constant AOEs, as well as having a lower threat cap.

We take up more healing than any hunter/mage/warlock/priest who stand comfortably out of range of the majority of attacks in most boss fights. And warriors and paladins get much more armour and hp. We're also absolutely useless at dealing with multiple mobs which is just another reason to bring a mage or lock with their amazing AOE capabilities while retaining the same single target dps of a rogue.

Um...no, no you don't. DPS warriors and enhancement shamans take far, far more damage on boss fights then rogues. Given that most of the AoE damage from bosses is magical, CloS makes a pretty big difference. There are some exceptions like BB for which CloS isn't useful, but evasion does make up for that.

Especially compared to the old days when being a rogue in a raid could often mean a life who's span was measured in micro-seconds.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Got it?

SS or it didn't happen.

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wowscrnshot092908114939ge5.jpg

Corran on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Got it?

SS or it didn't happen.

D:

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

A group of two rogues, a lock, a hunter and a mage can't accomplish anything. But a group of a mage, two rogues, a ret pally and a DPS warrior could, with a couple of respecs, get through pretty much any five man instance out there. It doesn't matter how many ways DPS classes can do DPS, the point is, that's all they can do. They don't have the option of respeccing, and while I understand playing a hybrid for one particular reason (DPS) because that's what you want to do (I have a warrior who I rolled specifically for DPS that I vowed never to tank with because I don't want to deal with that), you should at least be able to understand where the dps-only classes are coming from. The homogenization of the classes is beneficial in some ways, but because blizzard has six hybrids and four 'pure' classes, there are going to be some annoyed players out there.

Again though, a "simple" fix to this would be to make the 'pure' classes hybrids too. I frankly wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, because then the "too much DPS, not enough tanks/healers" scenario would almost be a thing of the past.

I understand where DPS-only classes are coming from, and I understand that they are fucked up and wrong to think that they should be the end all of DPS. I know this because I once shared their view and I changed it after seeing the light that is logic. All that it means for all damage specc'd classes to do equal damage is that you will want to bring only the skilled players to a raid. You don't need a token ret pally over a rogue, you don't feel required to have 4 rogues, you don't need to have any specific class filling any specific role.

The entire goal is so you can bring 3 paladins and have none of them healing. Two warriors and both of them tanking. Mix and match as much as you want, you're going to be filling DPS slots, tank slots, and healer slots. AND THAT'S IT!

Won't you rejoice that a guild is recruiting "3 DPSers and a healer" instead of "1 warlock, 1 shadow priest, and 1 resto druid"?

Also, I will reiterate one point that seems to get totally lost on you jolly fucks: if DPS specs can't do damage, then what the fuck is the point?

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You see what happens when you tempt fate?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Got it?

THE FUCKING DEATHCHARGERS REIGNS ON THE PTR!

SS or it didn't happen.

Oh my fucking god.

I'm sorry man... That's terrible...

D:

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Got it?

SS or it didn't happen.

I am weeping for you, seriously.
    You see what happens when you tempt fate?

:lol::cry:

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh holy christ.

I know I'm acting like a Blizzard fanboy but the new models are fantastic.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

One last thing Ace, if I toss out three heals now, when my gear actually has INT on it, I'm OOM. I'm done. I can't heal, I can't do DPS. I'm done.

Three heals does not a fucking healing class make.

Sure, I've tanked an instance as Ret. But any instance I've tanked as Ret could have been tanked by a bloody shaman or even a rogue.

Munkus Beaver on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You like something Blizzard did?

lololfanboi lolol gtfo

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A pally in crit/str gear heals better than many classes in any gear.

And I realize that 25-mans would be out of the question.

Bah. It's all politics. You think one way or the other. I'm just whining at this point.

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    At 80 Ret Paladin gear does not have spell power on it, at all. There is the amount you get from Sheath of Light, but that's it.
    Well when you say "level 80 ret paladin gear" are you referring to the actual tier sets, because at that point, you wouldn't be doing many five man instances anyway. But even so, there's plenty of quest/craft/ BoE AH purchaseable stuff you could use in its stead. And again, I'm not talking about endgame instances here, I'm talking about the odd five man, heroic or initial 10 man where one hybrid respeccing is the difference between doing something and doing nothing that night.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Got it?

SS or it didn't happen.

I knew this was going to happen and this is exactly why I only ran one UD strat run.

Munkus Beaver on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I cannot wait when doing 10 mans to throw an instant FoL on the tank every time Art of War pops up.

I plan on topping the damage meters and being #2 on heals.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rogues should be given a tanking tree.

An evasion tanking tree, like Ninja's (or whatever they are called) in FF Online.

It's been a while since I played FFO but the ninja tanks weren't intended. It's like rogue tanking in TBC. It can be done but it wasn't a design intention of the class. Also they were a huge PITA because they hit like children and you had to watch your aggro very, very carefully. Which as a black mage sucks when your life is built on seeing just how fine a mist your spells turned enemies into.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.