As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Korean On] Starcraft! Intel Avertec Classic Season 2 now on Gomtv.net!

1515253545557»

• Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    os let's play some starcraft

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Someone make a goddamn good defence map.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I am getting my ass kicked in the campaign, I am on the last terran mission and I do not know what to do. They are defending and attack with siege tanks which rape my shit hard and then they have fuck loads of ghosts everywhere so any kind of vehicle is useless. I have been trying to spam marines and firebats but with no luck at all. What should I do?

I really probably am not the RTS type though, I have huge anxiety problems with this game. Any time they come in and make my base all sorts of fucked up I just want to quit even though I can probably continue.

Well I got it and it was epic. I had no minerals left because I was afraid to expand and I destroyed the cannon with the last of my forces.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Pretty much on that last Terran mission I tech for ghosts and dropship and with some proper scanning and dropship maneuver and wraith distraction you just fly in there and nuke the thing until it starts to burn.

Then I go make a sandwich.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What's the fun if you don't destroy every single enemy on the map?

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just make battlecruisers on every terran map once you get access to them.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    s_86 wrote: »
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Pretty much on that last Terran mission I tech for ghosts and dropship and with some proper scanning and dropship maneuver and wraith distraction you just fly in there and nuke the thing until it starts to burn.

Then I go make a sandwich.

My brother's friend beat that mission without making the sandwich.

But it was delicious.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also as zerg I only make zerglings and as protoss only carriers

Lemming on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In vanilla SC there are at least a few Protoss missions that you can easily beat with your starting units.

Also, even though I don't play SC anymore, I do watch matches nearly every day, and I'm looking forward to the next games on gomtv. If you guys want to do some sort of battle report or commentary I would pay attention.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Page- you are now in charge of making the new thread

Go make the new thread

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's a lot of responsibility. I'll have to sleep on it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    no goddamn you

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What happened with Danger making the thread? Did my negativity finally crush his sunny disposition?

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    What happened with Danger making the thread? Did my negativity finally crush his sunny disposition?

I'm listening to Linkin Park right now.
    Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So is it kind of pointless to try and mix up units and make a cool strategy in the campaign? I should probably just spam carriers, battlecruisers and mutas and guardians right?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think the AI respects your cool strats.

But rolling missions is kind of fun.

Just wait till you get to the BW Protoss missions. The last few of those used to piss me off when I was first playing the game.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What is 14cc?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That sounds really risky, from all the tourney vidoes I have seen it is all about scouting and then getting a few units out to harass (I have not seen many videos) so why did that guy try to do that?

Do they play on a faster setting than the fastest because within a minute they had tons of SCVs and it takes me a lot longer than that.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Starcraft 101:

Speaking very generally, the way you start a game of Starcraft, a "Build order," can fall under one of three categories: "Rush," "Greedy," or "Standard."

A Rush build order is one where you sacrifice your economic growth in order to get out military units very quickly. A rush build succeeds if you either win outright, or do more economic damage to your opponent than you lost by slowing down your economy.

A Greedy build order is one where you sacrifice your military capability very early on, in order to gain an economic advantage over your opponent, thus allowing you to outproduce your opponent later in the game and win through attrition.

A Standard build order is a compromise where you balance your military production with your economic growth. Generally, these are the safest and by far the most common types of builds, as you have enough military strength to fend off rushes with little damage to your economy, allowing you to win later in the game, and you have some military strength to be able to damage an opponent who does a greedy build.

It comes down to a sort rock-paper-scissors system. Most of the time, a rush will have an advantage over a greedy build, a greedy build will have an advantage over a standard build, and a standard build will have an advantage over a rush build.

This is where scouting comes in. Most better players will try and see what their opponent does, and respond by modifying their build order to counter their opponent's.

In the youtube video, both of those players were undoubtedly among the best five terrans in the world, with the consensus being that, Flash, the player at the top right, is mechanically better than Fantasy, the player at the bottom left. In addition, this game was for very high stakes, and Flash is viewed as the lynchpin of his team, whereas Fantasy's team is seen as having much more depth.

Flash has a reputation for having a bad habit - he's known as a gambler who uses greedy builds when he doesn't need to. Even though he's very, very, very good, he's still young, immature, and under a lot of pressure from his team. Fantasy knew that, and decided to use one of the strongest Terran Rush builds - the "Proxy 8-rax," in which you stop building workers in order to build a faster barracks in the middle of the map so that your marines arrive at your opponent's base faster. Flash, as predicted, decided to use a greedy build - and not just any greedy build - the greediest build possible, a "14CC" with no scouting, and got destroyed.

Flash is clearly devastated after the game. He knows that he made a very bad decision, and Fantasy punished him for it. Flash took a very unnecessary risk by using such a greedy build, and if he would have just played with a standard build, he would have won through his superior skill instead of relying on luck.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    That sounds really risky, from all the tourney vidoes I have seen it is all about scouting and then getting a few units out to harass (I have not seen many videos) so why did that guy try to do that?

Do they play on a faster setting than the fastest because within a minute they had tons of SCVs and it takes me a lot longer than that.

I guess Plutonium covered your 14CC question but as for having so many SCVs, they've just practiced so much that just before each SCV finishes the queue up the next.

e: NEW thread incoming. Don't post in hurr.
    It's done. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=85593

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    Osiris5217daOsiris5217da Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You big homo. Linkin Park? For shame risk, for shame.

Osiris5217da on
  • Options
    CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=85593

Butthead.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • Options
    Osiris5217daOsiris5217da Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Capuano wrote: »

Butthead.

How embarrassing~

Osiris5217da on
  • Options
    FinnbarrFinnbarr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Where is everyone? I was on iccup and there was a terrible terrible silence.

Finnbarr on
    ~Finnbarr
    Statement: Just a simple droid, here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Maybe you should ask in the thread that hasn't been dead for 2 months.

Bruce Forsyth on