As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Ad Council: Hey Kids, Saying "Gay" is Gay

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like y'all and I don't like they as singular. And as I already answered, yes, your example of they sounds weird to me.

Yar on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs when people can be offended by mere words instead of taking the time to look inward and realize that the sum of all ones experiences and behaviors amount to much more.
    Yes, go tell your grandmother she's a cunt. After all, it shouldn't hurt her if she's enlightened.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's a sad state of affairs when people can be offended by mere words instead of taking the time to look inward and realize that the sum of all ones experiences and behaviors amount to much more.
    Yes, go tell your grandmother she's a cunt. After all, it shouldn't hurt her if she's enlightened.

But she's not, she's just old.

Meiz on
  • Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    There's a simple test for this.

Just substitute any other word for a group of people instead of gay.

"That's so ____"

jewish
    christian
    white
    black
    republican
    democrat
    redheaded
    left-handed
    etc...

If you can substitute something like that, say the phrase the same way in front of that same group of people and not feel uncomfortable, go right ahead and keep on saying "That's so gay".

But most people wouldn't be comfortable doing that, because its insulting.

Actually, I get ragged on all the time for being white, even by other white people. Should I start an ad campaign.

As for the campaign in question, I'll support it if they get better commercials. I don't like the use of someone outside the circle correcting them. No matter what language I am using, if a stranger tries to correct me, I am going to tell them to fuck off. The "knock it off" at the end is annoying too.

Cliff on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll turn this car around, dammit!

Seriously though, I like the intention.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    I like y'all and I don't like they as singular. And as I already answered, yes, your example of they sounds weird to me.

Which is fine, I'm not going to force you to use it. We all have peculiar patterns of speech. But that doesn't make it ungrammatical, and it doesn't make "he" ungendered.

You wanna get interesting, "Sam left the room, didn't they?" sounds the most unnatural of all. Work that one out.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honestly, whenever I hear gay used, I hear it used as "that's pretty gay", which flows off the tongue better than "that's SO gay".

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    edited October 2008

But she's not, she's just old.

Oh. Well.

Maybe it's for the best that you just respect her enough not to do that, then.

Edit: Also, Cliff: yes, you should say that being made fun of for being white upsets you, if it does.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    8-BitRocker8-BitRocker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's a good idea.

8-BitRocker on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man saying "that's gay" is so ingrained into my mind that I don't even realize I say it anymore. I guess that's pretty gay.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think that is so gay.
    No but seriously. I don't think it's lazy or derogatory. For all arguments sake the word "gay" in the context we are speaking of has no correlation to the context of sexuality. I believe it has just become another word in today's society. People need to grow some thicker skin, because I have a feeling it isn't going anywhere any time soon.

What is so hard to understand about this? How can the word possibly have no correlation to sexuality? It means homosexual, and people use it because they view homosexuality as a bad thing. And for the last time, even if they don't, it's still like using the n-word and then getting all huffy when a black person gets offended because you 'didn't mean it like that.'

What you mean is irrelevant when you are using it as a negative word.

So if I don't view homosexuality as a bad thing, and I use the word 'gay' to express my thoughts on something that is dumb I'm still wrong? I just don't think that this word has that much power. I truly believe that it is the context that decides the intent of the word. Does anyone get mad when musicals from the 40's use the word gay to express happiness? Does anyone get mad, and in a huff when an Englishmen calls a cigarette a fag? No, because they know that the context of the word isn't malicious in its intent.
    But ... both of those examples you gave involve the proper application of the word in relation to its original meaning.

What Eddy is talking about in those instances when you use the word as a general pejorative, in the slangy "that's so gay" construction. The only way you can tease out a meaning from that to mean "that's so [bad]" is in relation to the societal prejudice against homosexuality. It has no other relation to generalized negativity, and as such using it like that can be very offensive.

It's like Eddy's example with the N-word. Simply because a white person has decided that they're not a racist doesn't mean they can suddenly run around with that word falling off their lips and act surprised when people tell them to knock it off.

The english language does evolve though. I think that is true with this word especially. Couldn't it be true that the word has evolved from a societal prejudice to a term for something that IS stupid, or dumb?

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think that is so gay.
    No but seriously. I don't think it's lazy or derogatory. For all arguments sake the word "gay" in the context we are speaking of has no correlation to the context of sexuality. I believe it has just become another word in today's society. People need to grow some thicker skin, because I have a feeling it isn't going anywhere any time soon.

What is so hard to understand about this? How can the word possibly have no correlation to sexuality? It means homosexual, and people use it because they view homosexuality as a bad thing. And for the last time, even if they don't, it's still like using the n-word and then getting all huffy when a black person gets offended because you 'didn't mean it like that.'

What you mean is irrelevant when you are using it as a negative word.

So if I don't view homosexuality as a bad thing, and I use the word 'gay' to express my thoughts on something that is dumb I'm still wrong? I just don't think that this word has that much power. I truly believe that it is the context that decides the intent of the word. Does anyone get mad when musicals from the 40's use the word gay to express happiness? Does anyone get mad, and in a huff when an Englishmen calls a cigarette a fag? No, because they know that the context of the word isn't malicious in its intent.
    But ... both of those examples you gave involve the proper application of the word in relation to its original meaning.

What Eddy is talking about in those instances when you use the word as a general pejorative, in the slangy "that's so gay" construction. The only way you can tease out a meaning from that to mean "that's so [bad]" is in relation to the societal prejudice against homosexuality. It has no other relation to generalized negativity, and as such using it like that can be very offensive.

It's like Eddy's example with the N-word. Simply because a white person has decided that they're not a racist doesn't mean they can suddenly run around with that word falling off their lips and act surprised when people tell them to knock it off.

The english language does evolve though. I think that is true with this word especially. Couldn't it be true that the word has evolved from a societal prejudice to a term for something that IS stupid, or dumb?

It's already evolved to societal prejudice from a happy feeling. I could see that.

Cymoro on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Cymoro wrote: »
    It's already evolved to societal prejudice from a happy feeling. I could see that.
    Hey, good point. Go start calling dumb people "Goddamn slopes" or "Fucking polacks". I mean, eventually those words will cease to mean "derogatory word for people of a given ethnicity" and start to just mean plain "dumb".

In the meantime I'm sure it won't make anyone feel like shit or anything.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spawn camping is so polack.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey, good point. Go start calling dumb people "Goddamn slopes" or "Fucking polacks". I mean, eventually those words will cease to mean "derogatory word for people of a given ethnicity" and start to just mean plain "dumb".

That's so slope.

And wait, do you mean Dumb as in "Cannot talk", or as in "dumb"? Because that's pretty derogatory to people who can't talk.

Cymoro on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

That's so slope.

And wait, do you mean Dumb as in "Cannot talk", or as in "dumb"? Because that's pretty derogatory to people who can't talk.
    Go tell your grandmother she's a cunt. If you do it enough, eventually she'll get that you just mean "cool lady".

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

That's so slope.

Go tell your grandmother she's a cunt. If you do it enough, eventually she'll get that you just mean "cool lady".

Generational evolution of a word's meaning isn't the same as just yelling cunt at someone. It's something that takes time as the society that uses it starts to find it less powerful. Have you noticed how ass, bitch, and other words are casually thrown about on broadcast TV? It took time, but they're losing they're strength. Maybe two generations from now, our grandkids will look back and think those were terrible, corny words.

Also, please tell me why you need to use dumb. Why are you just casually slinging it around?

Cymoro on
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Generational evolution of a word's meaning isn't the same as just yelling cunt at someone. It's something that takes time as the society that uses it starts to find it less powerful. Have you noticed how ass, bitch, and other words are casually thrown about on broadcast TV? It took time, but they're losing they're strength. Maybe two generations from now, our grandkids will look back and think those were terrible, corny words.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Semprini, however, will still retain it's shock value.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Semprini, however, will still retain it's shock value.

Dude, you use the same aftershave?

Cymoro on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just look at words like "dork." I once got into a real uncomfortable situation with an older lady who came from a time when dork meant what cock means to us.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Exactly. Look at lame, gimp, spaz (although, it's still taboo in the UK). Idiot used to refer to severe retardation. Hell, retard used to mean it too. We keep making up new words to replace the ones that lost the impact they used to have, and those lost words get flung around like nothing.

It's what happens. We move on from stuff in society when it gets old, and language is no different.

On another note, I looked into the Ad Council's fact that 80,000 webpages used the phrase "that's so gay". I put that in Google, and it's only 52,800. Remove the quotes, and that's 619,000 results. Most of the pages I saw were just detailing the campaign too. If anything, this campaign is spreading the use of "That's so gay".

Also, I'm loving the list on their site of what words actually mean. Bad: "Sometimes it actualy means good!" Fag: "To be tired from work." They also list Beard, which I've never heard used as derogatory. I'm not liking this ad campaign.

Cymoro on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But it's still common courtesy to respect other people's linguistic conventions. For instance, not saying 'dork' around an old lady who has made it clear to you that it means 'cock' to her. Or using 'gay' as a pejorative around people who take it as an insult to gay people.

The problem is that with 'gay' it's pretty impossible to know who you'll offend.

MrMister on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MrMister wrote: »
    But it's still common courtesy to respect other people's linguistic conventions. For instance, not saying 'dork' around an old lady who has made it clear to you that it means 'cock' to her. Or using 'gay' as a pejorative around people who take it as an insult to gay people.

The problem is that with 'gay' it's pretty impossible to know who you'll offend.

See also...

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, by the way, everyone should avoid using the word "dumb" too. The word "dumb" describes someone who cannot speak and using it as a negative word is offensive to those people who cannot speak.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, by the way, everyone should avoid using the word "dumb" too. The word "dumb" describes someone who cannot speak and using it as a negative word is offensive to those people who cannot speak.

Hahaha, I just rewatched one of the ads, and they use dumb. Way to only pick one thing to harp on.

Cymoro on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't think that kids saying "that's so gay" in a derogatory manner is anything but horrible, but I'm not sure an ad campaign on the subject is the best use of limited resources.

I think its fucking ridiculous how much money religious zelots are throwing away to try and "save marriage". I will fucking throw that in their face anytime they get holier then thou about donating money to a charity.

I wish no one felt they had to spend money to fight against that kind of brainwashing, that we could use that money for something else, I can only assume advertising works better then I give it credit for.

Dman on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You changed my mind--this point, which I had never heard before a thousand times in this thread has rocked my world.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You changed my mind--this point, which I had never heard before a thousand times in this thread has rocked my world.

Huh. So, this sounds like sarcasm. However, I don't recall seeing this point mentioned before in this thread. Just to be safe, I double checked and didn't find anything about this. So, seeing as how it was in fact not mentioned a thousand times in this thread, or any for that matter, you must be sincere. So, I'm glad my point rocked your world.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    For the record, you should no longer use the term "sinister" as a negative adjective as well, because left handed people don't deserve to be treated like that.

This was you last page. Saying the same thing. It appears to be your perennial contribution.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    For the record, you should no longer use the term "sinister" as a negative adjective as well, because left handed people don't deserve to be treated like that.

This was you last page. Saying the same thing. It appears to be your perennial contribution.

Technically, I was not saying the same thing. That post was about the word "sinister" and not "dumb".

But yeah. I plan on posting one of these a day to show how fucking often a pejorative evolves to lose all connection with its original sense and just becomes a general negative word. Because frankly, this thread and the concepts contained within are dumb, retarded, lame, and gay, but I'm not sure they qualify as sinister though.

Well, BRB, I'm going to smoke a fag.

PS: This thread is Jewish.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Technically, I was not saying the same thing. That post was about the word "sinister" and not "dumb".

But yeah. I plan on posting one of these a day to show how fucking often a pejorative evolves to lose all connection with its original sense and just becomes a general negative word. Because frankly, this thread and the concepts contained within are dumb, retarded, lame, and gay, but I'm not sure they qualify as sinister though.

Well, BRB, I'm going to smoke a fag.

PS: This thread is Jewish.

What are you, 12?

Those of us with brains get semantic drift, cheers.

There's just a minor issue with the meaning of words at the moment.

Or can't you think of any words that you would mind being called?

Nothing? At all?

Because those words will change in the future too.

Like cuntrag. That will change and lose all meaning.

Rapist also.

Rapist cuntrag moron.

Also will become meaningless as the years pass.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The difference between "gay" and a bunch of other words is that people who use gay in a derogatory fashion have a very clear understanding of it's double meaning, and if you turn it around on them they get pretty offended by it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Censorship is pretty gay.

I think it is far more effective for a person to get over a word or phrase then impose their belief on everyone else. Otherwise we (the US) set a precedent for one hell of a slippery slope.

Actually, we already have.

Honestly, stopping a word or phrase from circulation won't make you feel any better when you hear it again. Just own it and rise above.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Daemonion wrote: »

Nobody's suggested censorship.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The difference between "gay" and a bunch of other words is that people who use gay in a derogatory fashion have a very clear understanding of it's double meaning, and if you turn it around on them they get pretty offended by it.

See, that's where I think a lot of disagreement comes in. I think at this point, the word "gay" has two separate meanings. The first indicates a homosexual person, the second means "stupid". I don't think, at this point, they are connected.

Also, the BBC agrees: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/article671972.ece

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »

They're not making the word illegal, but would you not call this an act of some kind of censorship?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

They're not making the word illegal, but would you not call this an act of some kind of censorship?

If calling you an insensitive jerk is equivalent to LIBRUL FASCISM, well gosh -- I must be like the head of the Secret Police!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »

No, if you turn it around on them they probably wouldn't give two shits and continue on with their conversation. If anything, you come out looking like a social spaz.

Person 1: "Did you hear that the Mets lost the game last night? That's pretty gay."

Person 2: "Yeah, I think it was pretty PERSON 1 too!"

It's awkward when you turn it around, like you're trying to win some semantics debate that no one cares about.

Cymoro on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Saying "don't be a dick" is censorship?

gtrmp on