edited February 2010
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I heard there was a
    boss rush
    mode. Any rewards for beating it?

Does it really exist?

Provided you beat the game, yes.

That's awesome. I heard it at Gamefaqs, so I didn't know if it was real or not.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    About the rank 7 battle.
    Not sure if anyone else did this, but to fight ryuji I just did a charge attack whenever he did his charge attack and killed him by clashing over and over again. If you do the charge attack, you're invincible for some reason so you go right through the dragon.

The coolest part was when we clashed and the dragon popped out of the ground between the two of us and I got the final blow like that.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jubeh wrote: »
    About the rank 7 battle.
    Not sure if anyone else did this, but to fight ryuji I just did a charge attack whenever he did his charge attack and killed him by clashing over and over again. If you do the charge attack, you're invincible for some reason so you go right through the dragon.

The coolest part was when we clashed and the dragon popped out of the ground between the two of us and I got the final blow like that.

I used that same strategy and had the exact same finish. High five good sir.

Gilder on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    boss rush

Does it really exist?

Not really a rush. You just pick a fight to do.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    boss rush

Does it really exist?

That's awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    boss rush

Does it really exist?

Wow, they really DID follow Madworld's take.

-Rank fights not literal number of fights?
    -Removal of overworld in favor of streamlined map?
    -Controlled motorcycle driving segments including a motorcycle fight sequence?
    -Replay the bosses at any time via selection after beating the game?

Hell, all they needed was a double-bladed sabersaw or something to unlock for the second playthrough.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Madworld is a really good game. I should play that again soon. The levels of spite and the amount of gore can be really off-putting for anyone in the room though, haha.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Madworld is a really good game. I should play that again soon. The levels of spite and the amount of gore can be really off-putting for anyone in the room though, haha.

Madworld was quite good. Hell, any game that rewards the murder of Ninja I can get behind (don't get me started on my Ninja Discourse). I think if Platinum had either favored more arena-based Smash TV madness or made the world a giant, free-roaming doom circuit with waypoint goals to hunt down the champions with, more people would've taken a shine to it. Oh, and spamming the rosebush was fun and all, but they needed an option to pull a guy OFF the spikes too. If you get the most points doing the slam four times, what's the incentive of doing it once? Unless of course you can gore your opponent, drag him off, and, say, fling him into a nearby grinder or something.

Still need to beat Desperate Struggle. Haven't been all that eager to fight my way all the way through Akashic Point 3 all over again yet.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yessssssss I have maxed out muscle and stamina. I feel like I am one with the cosmos after that final muscle level.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It is a good feeling.

Honestly though I think the fifth muscle and the second were the toughest. Especially the second. It took me and my friend at least ten tries to do that one.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I had the most problems with 2 and 6. 2 was tough because you can't miss a big dumbbell, which is the hardest one to not get hit by and you've had no way to really practice them, and 6 was hard for me due to that last section of dumbbells. They were so big that they basically blocked half of the area you use to determine what section they're going towards.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just don't know if I am going to bother with stamina and muscle. I am sure it will help with the fights, but man is it ever a pain in the ass. And it is expensive as hell too.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You still early in the game?

I can tell you that the final boss is next to impossible without some stamina.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just beat
    Letz Shake

and am now playing as Shinobu. Well, not right now. That is what I have to do next.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    By the time you get back to doing what you're doing you'll start to find fights a little more dangerous...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    By the time you get back to doing what you're doing you'll start to find fights a little more dangerous...

I figured. I just wish the gym wasn't so expsensive. I spent half an hour at least earning cash last time, blew it all, and failed every damn time.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I figured. I just wish the gym wasn't so expsensive. I spent half an hour at least earning cash last time, blew it all, and failed every damn time.

One thing you could do is save before you enter the gym, and if you lose all your money without progress, just reset from the save point.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah that's what I did, I wouldn't go any more than about 4 tries without resetting. It just costs too much. The final levels costs 14k each so 4 tries of that and that's another round of pipe laying I have to do. In addition I'm saving my cash because of the closet thief. Update on that by the way is he just stole my homie jacket. I don't think I care enough to rebuy that just yet.

Gilder on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I did, I wouldn't go any more than about 4 tries without resetting. It just costs too much. The final levels costs 14k each so 4 tries of that and that's another round of pipe laying I have to do. In addition I'm saving my cash because of the closet thief. Update on that by the way is he just stole my homie jacket. I don't think I care enough to rebuy that just yet.

Gilder because I am a nice guy I looked into your shirt issue. It is a glitch. Apparently once you own all clothing it stops or is less frequent.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why thank you King Riptor. Nothing quite like having an uncommon(?) glitch to make you feel..... good? Bad? I'm not sure how I should feel right now. After what rank fight does the final set of clothing become available? I'm not going to take off this outfit I just bought because no way am I buying another 90k jacket.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just beat the game, and I am pretty sure that Suda51 is calling me
    a whore and questions why I live
    from playing both these games.

Also, the sound track for this game is pretty amazing.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

One thing you could do is save before you enter the gym, and if you lose all your money without progress, just reset from the save point.

Is there a way to load a file without quitting back to the title screen?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Destructoid posted up an article dissecting the bosses of the game. There are spoilers so watch out if you haven't beaten it.

I agree with a lot of it but I want to beat it once more and make sure I've seen everything.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    if they're going to overanalyze things they could at least get their quotations right

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Destructoid posted up an article dissecting the bosses of the game. There are spoilers so watch out if you haven't beaten it.

I agree with a lot of it but I want to beat it once more and make sure I've seen everything.

This is really well done and partially what I was looking for in the thread after finishing the game. Its a pretty interesting read, and
    Let's Shake
    still has a pretty profound meaning to it despite them wasting so much text saying it didnt. It reminds me of Cavil from BSG
    I could be happy if I just didnt have this brain! Actually when I think about it, it could be talking about the wish for ignorance(as in, ignorance is bliss, almost literally). Travis could be fighting his own wish for ignorance in this fight, in fact he is anxious to just get it over with at the point the battle is given to him.

on "other characters you can play" and "a meet up afterwards"
    I didnt realize that Travis is supposed to be pretty old in this game. I also thought that Shinobu was supposed to be under aged at the time, giving reason to his push away. I took it all at face value. I read last night she was 18, but I didnt think Travis was really supper old. Now that I think about it his synopsis makes a ton of sense, but her just dissapearing from the story is extremely disappointing after that scene. He dosent exactly embrace himself or anything, but I dont see him as self destructing all relationships around himself(Jeanne, and his brother staying with him are examples of this). However she left, he didnt tell her to get out, just stop mackin' on him.

I kind of expect a NMH3 to be:
    fat old creepy anime dirty shirt sweat pants convention guy. I mean come on, you saw him jerkin it to that Jelly video. Then again hes found love and ran off with her. If anything I see UAA going national, or world wide and he has to defend against oncoming assassins without a choice until he finds out the league ranked him. Heill have to face his juvinile version of himself and find that hes repeating things that he was told when he started by the wise sages he fought.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I kind of expect a NMH3 to be:
    fat old creepy anime dirty shirt sweat pants convention guy. I mean come on, you saw him jerkin it to that Jelly video. Then again hes found love and ran off with her. If anything I see UAA going national, or world wide and he has to defend against oncoming assassins without a choice until he finds out the league ranked him. Heill have to face his juvinile version of himself and find that hes repeating things that he was told when he started by the wise sages he fought.
    [/QUOTE]

It's a little verboten to get into now, and, honestly, I'd highly prefer some original stuff from Suda for the next three years or so before any third outing in Santa Destroy. But I have been waiting, and expect, eventually
    Travis will end up at that same pool as Death Metal, gently rocking the wineglass in his hand, listening to the waves as some young pup with a chip on his shoulder kills the help.

Of course, I also expected a town with a name like Santa Destroy would get completely leveled and demolished by the end of the first game, so...

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Most annoying (read: hard) fight is probably Skelter Helter on Bitter (Hard)

You just can't get in edgewise.

Fubear on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure the most annoying fight will always be
    Pizza Batt Man. Those fucking squeaky teleports! And everything he throws is a goddamn guard-break! I miss the Dark Side Dodge...

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    Pizza Batt Man. Those fucking squeaky teleports! And everything he throws is a goddamn guard-break! I miss the Dark Side Dodge...

Dark Side dodge is still in nmh2. You just have to be much more precise.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kupi wrote: »

Dark Side dodge is still in nmh2. You just have to be much more precise.

I know it's in the game, but it doesn't feel nearly as integral. Peony does enough damage with straight attacks on its own, for one thing. But more importantly, the bosses seem to use a lot more guard-crushers than they did in NMH. There's so much more stuff that requires you to roll that waiting for an opportunity to block is just a good way to waste HP. So I'm not saying that it isn't in the game, I'm saying that it hardly has any utility any more.

EDIT: I am fully willing to attribute this statement to inexperience. When Peony easily cleaves entire swathes of mooks without even the need to lock on, you don't get much practice with the game's more esoteric functions.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DSD has almost exactly the same timing in all difficulties of NMH2 as it did in the first game's bitter mode. Basically the instant before the strike hits, go left or right on the joystick. It works and is effective in most fights.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Now see I thought it was right before the hit, but someone earlier in the thread said it was right after. So I tried that and now I can always DSD random baddies, and bosses I pretty much don't even try. So I guess it's actually right after the hit? Because I would never do it if I tried to dodge before they hit me.

Gilder on
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Beat this game. Enjoyed it immensely. Mostly all the bosses were fun to play against, or at least interesting characters. The names of all the characters though were alot more bland it seemed. The job minigames were actually really fun. Kinda sad that theres nothing really to spend it on, well besides clothes I guess. Just to make sure how many swords ARE there to buy? I felt like naomi she wasn't done working on one but it never came up.

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FroggyP wrote: »
    I felt like naomi she wasn't done working on one but it never came up.

There seems to be alot of additional stuff in this game that is actually optional. I wonder if were not doing something right to trigger it to be playable. I bet (male playable character)'s sword is available somehow.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    there are no additional secrets

what you have is what you get

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    huh, but this is interesting

apparently the original script of the game just leaked, and there were a few pretty significant changes made
    they'd originally intended for there to be another "final battle" in the motel parking lot if you beat the game on bitter

except this time, your opponent would've been Shinobu

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Now see I thought it was right before the hit, but someone earlier in the thread said it was right after. So I tried that and now I can always DSD random baddies, and bosses I pretty much don't even try. So I guess it's actually right after the hit? Because I would never do it if I tried to dodge before they hit me.

Yeah I mentioned earlier that in the manual it says that you hit the stick the moment the attack is guarded.

I think bayonetta kind of destroyed my rhythm in that sense.

Jubeh on