Options

Star Wars: TFU (Ultimate Sith Edition out in US on PC, check thread)

• Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sorry, I enjoyed TFU, but the plot was total self-insertion fanwank.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was amused on how Mary sue Galen's characters was. But it lead to enjoyable gameplay for the most part, so I was alright with it.

But I beat up Darth Vader! Woo.

Edit: Dang it, Silky :P

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Look, I'm not saying it was Shakespeare, but it was entertaining. I wanted to see what happened next. Of course, I don't immediately guffaw in self-important consternation every time I see a potential Mary Sue. I don't care, shit can be cliche, as long as it's interesting and fun.

Houn on
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah sorry, I'm with Houn on this one. They created a really fun platforming beat'em up and I got to control Force god on legs. I don't give a shit how well it fits into the canon, shit was fun.

Except the Star Destroyer part. In the latest issue of Game Informer, they admitted it was bugged and the game would accidentally misinterpret the direction you were holding the sticks or some shit.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know, I don't care that it was bugged. The mechanic they used for it was boring and stupid.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    You know, I don't care that it was bugged. The mechanic they used for it was boring and stupid.

What they should have done is nixed the tie fighters and let rip the damn thing apart. Use the same two stick mechanic but just let me rip it to shreds. That would have been satisfying.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't think I personally would have liked that part even if it wasn't bug. "Why am I bothering to do this? Can't you just fire a missile or something? I didn't rent 'Star Wars: Ship Deorbiter', I rented 'Star Wars: Cut the fuck out of Jedi with my lightsaber', and I don't even do much of that."

That's just me though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't have minded the constant TIE fighters, if the ship didn't auto-correct itself so goddamn fast.

If you took too long, the ship would pretty much reset itself, and made the entire ordeal a time sink.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Star Destroyer and fighting the ex-Jedi garbage boss were the two places I went into my seldom seen angry gamer mode. God of War has been recently doing this to me too. Maybe as I get older I get angrier at games now or QTE beat-em ups really get to me?

Anyways I am pro Mary Sues. I love Mary Sues especially in Star Wars but not if they are some kind of Force god who creates everything by happenstance.

I'm in the the OT mindset that the Force is very subtle and in games it can give you slight advantages.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hah, that sort of stuff might be better left to an actual Star Was thread.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think everyone's main gripe with the Star Destroyer sequence was that you're all "Oh shit this is going to be awesome!" and instead of just being let down, they also killed your dog.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Obviously, the new TFU is going to be Natal-compatible so you can really bring that fucker down in style.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You are horrible. TFU had a better story than anything in the Prequels, AND managed to nicely bridge the two movie trilogies without fucking with cannon. You're a bad person, and you should probably jump off a bridge or something.

If you want to complain about gameplay, fine, I'll give it to you; it's a matter of opinion. But don't you fuck with the story. That shit was gold.

dude, that shit was awful.

when it comes down to it, I thought TFU was a mediocre game that wouldn't have gotten as far as it did without the star wars license, which is ironic considering how it took that franchise, pinned it down, and proceeded to rape it. The best part about TFU was the combat, and even that was a light-bat, bug riddled mess at times.

also, the story in the prequels is not really any worse than the story in the original trilogy. The movies never had great stories, it had compelling characters within a fascinating universe. It's just that the prequels were never able to pull off the same kind of execution as the original trilogy.

Guek on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In between posting those vids and now, I played through this again with the sound off while listening to some recorded lectures.

I'm...I'm kind of flabbergasted about how...completely not bad the combat is now. The only real gripe of worth I have is that you still can't get up fast if you are knocked off your feet and can still be stunned if you are silly enough to charge up a lightning trooper but...everything else. Enemies do barely ANY damage now. They barely attack. Their ass raping shit is gone. They're fodder.
    The star destroyers section was actually fun. I only had to kill one new wave of tie. (killed the starting wave, pulled down the destroyer, I'm sitting there thinking "huh, where's the ties they used to be here by now" and I'm still waiting and it's over halfway down before they finally rock up. I killed them and downed it before the third wave was able to mosey their slow ass over to me.)
    All the fights are better put together, enemies don't spam you off your feet, shit doesn't have retarded hitboxes.

Shit you can avoid those darktrooper rockets just by strafing, no dodging or anything. Just strafe sideways, they miss. O_O You can jump em too.

Before you had two options. 1). Time a dodge perfectly just as they reach you 2). Get hit.

Snipers as well. They can't aim for shit. I'm gunning down on them and they're aiming at the wall next to me. Before they would have a bead on you if you so much as showed a pixel in their range. I got hit only once, I swear the guy was actually aiming for something behind me and missed it. They used to do half health, but that guy musta also forgot to put ammo in. I had to squint to realise I'd lost health.

Fucking amazing how much work they put into improving it. It's sure as hell not the same game as it was on release.

I mean. I didn't need the sound at all. If i did get hit, who cares. Shit that used to do half health now does the same as a blaster bolt used to ie bugger all.
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I used Saber a lot in TFU. I guess too much by some peoples accounts. Why wouldn't you use a saber though?

Well, to be honest, on my playthrough just now, my number one and two used powers was ariel strike and force throw, respectively. I got force throw mastery by the end of the game. 500 chumps flying high! 8-)

Trailer was awesome, but he didn't pick up any of the troopers and fling them into a wall so hard they bounced instead of stabbing them.

I'm disappointed.

Still, its a nicely done trailer, for a cinematic. I'm more interested in gameplay though.

This is all a cover up I'm actually super pumped up and watched it twice. :D Such a shameless sucker for mary sues and starwars. Day one buy.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In between posting those vids and now, I played through this again with the sound off while listening to some recorded lectures.

I'm...I'm kind of flabbergasted about how...completely not bad the combat is now. The only real gripe of worth I have is that you still can't get up fast if you are knocked off your feet and can still be stunned if you are silly enough to charge up a lightning trooper but...everything else. Enemies do barely ANY damage now. They barely attack. Their ass raping shit is gone. They're fodder.
    The star destroyers section was actually fun. I only had to kill one new wave of tie. (killed the starting wave, pulled down the destroyer, I'm sitting there thinking "huh, where's the ties they used to be here by now" and I'm still waiting and it's over halfway down before they finally rock up. I killed them and downed it before the third wave was able to mosey their slow ass over to me.)
    All the fights are better put together, enemies don't spam you off your feet, shit doesn't have retarded hitboxes.

Shit you can avoid those darktrooper rockets just by strafing, no dodging or anything. Just strafe sideways, they miss. O_O You can jump em too.

Before you had two options. 1). Time a dodge perfectly just as they reach you 2). Get hit.

Snipers as well. They can't aim for shit. I'm gunning down on them and they're aiming at the wall next to me. Before they would have a bead on you if you so much as showed a pixel in their range. I got hit only once, I swear the guy was actually aiming for something behind me and missed it. They used to do half health, but that guy musta also forgot to put ammo in. I had to squint to realise I'd lost health.

Fucking amazing how much work they put into improving it. It's sure as hell not the same game as it was on release.

I mean. I didn't need the sound at all. If i did get hit, who cares. Shit that used to do half health now does the same as a blaster bolt used to ie bugger all.
    I used Saber a lot in TFU. I guess too much by some peoples accounts. Why wouldn't you use a saber though?

Well, to be honest, on my playthrough just now, my number one and two used powers was ariel strike and force throw, respectively. I got force throw mastery by the end of the game. 500 chumps flying high! 8-)

Trailer was awesome, but he didn't pick up any of the troopers and fling them into a wall so hard they bounced instead of stabbing them.

I'm disappointed.

Still, its a nicely done trailer, for a cinematic. I'm more interested in gameplay though.

This is all a cover up I'm actually super pumped up and watched it twice. :D Such a shameless sucker for mary sues and starwars. Day one buy.

It's been so long since I played but I think you could max out at least three of the Powers through the one playthrough right?

I never went outside of Force Blast, Lightning, and Force Choke.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The problem with saber combat was that you might as well have been wielding a baseball bat. There was nothing about the weapon that screamed LIGHT SABER FUCK YEAH.

Which was really the whole problem with the first game. They turned a bunch of fundamentally awesome stuff into the most rote and boring shit possible. I mean, it takes an incredible amount of fecal fortitude to make PULLING A STAR DESTROYER OUT OF THE SKY one of the worst parts of the game.

Edit: God, fuck you, Lucasarts. I have never been burned so hard before. They better pull a miracle out of their ass in the sequel.

This post should be the OP. I tried TFU at a friends place for approx 30mins and had no desire to touch it again. I was spoiled by the jedi knight games I suppose.

1 lightsaber slash = 1 dead stormtrooper (2 if they stand really close to each other)+ some light property damage in the form of light saber scratches on all the walls,floor,etc.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Am I the only one who went into the game expecting to kill Jedi, and then was disappointed that I had to go through about 2000 stormtroopers, 1500 Rebel senior citizen auxiliaries, 20 bounty hunters and a few of those armored walkers before I actually got to fight a Jedi?

Like Dark Forces II, but much, much worse. Personally, I would have preferred having those stormtroopers fight the rebel senior citizen corps for me. Which is probably why I spent sections of the first level just sitting back, waiting for the tedium to sort itself out.

Guess it's not surprising the Hoth level is my favorite. My own assault troopers who DON'T want to kill me? Wow, this actually feels like a war in the stars!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2010
    I played this on the PC, and post patch it was much more enjoyable than the original unpatched 360 version I suffered through with shoe. the star destroyer was still balls out retarded though, and the DLC missions suck.

Tube on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm disappointed.

It's been so long since I played but I think you could max out at least three of the Powers through the one playthrough right?

I never went outside of Force Blast, Lightning, and Force Choke.

Werl throw is basically as powerful at the start as it is at the end, you just have more force to play with at the end so you can throw more people.

Nothing like stalking up a ramp throwing enemies one by one up and over your head behind you and watching them scurry and try to run as they watch their friends slowly disappear into the distance....

If this game didn't have the throwing mechanics it did, if I hadn't put as much time into learning that mechanic inside out as much as I have, I would hate this game. It's the only reason I still load it up, just to throw shit about with wanton abandon. Oh hi guy TIME TO FLY!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    At times I really wonder if this game would have been better received if it didn't have the star wars name on it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Probably not, it was genuinely terrible on release. One of the worst games I've ever played.

As it is now, I would have liked it more as The Adventures Of Telekinetic Guy With Baseball Bat.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    At release it was the worst game I have ever played that I loved the fuck out of.

It's okay, I know I'm crazy.

So crazy that sometimes I miss the balls hard difficulty of it...but not that much

edit: Oh yeah, I still have that glitched save if anyone wants to have infinite force to mess around with. You aren't completely invulnerable, your health just regenerates instantly. Death pits, deathstar lasers, enough damage at once (very rare, only happened when two snipers in sith lord shot me at the same time cos I got lazy, 2x half health = ow)
    The cool thing is the infinite force. Wanna throw vader forever and ever and ever and ever and ever? You can. Wanna juggle kazdan like a basketball? Say the word.
    Unfortunately, ps3 only.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Look, I'm not saying it was Shakespeare, but it was entertaining. I wanted to see what happened next. Of course, I don't immediately guffaw in self-important consternation every time I see a potential Mary Sue. I don't care, shit can be cliche, as long as it's interesting and fun.

Eh, it was a good set of excuses for gameplay. This is an entirely different thing from being a good story. I'd say the prequel trilogy aimed higher and failed utterly with story, but I've got enough respect for where it was trying for to place it above this.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    At release it was the worst game I have ever played that I loved the fuck out of.

So crazy that sometimes I miss the balls hard difficulty of it...but not that much

edit: Oh yeah, I still have that glitched save if anyone wants to have infinite force to mess around with. You aren't completely invulnerable, your health just regenerates instantly. Death pits, deathstar lasers, enough damage at once (very rare, only happened when two snipers in sith lord shot me at the same time cos I got lazy, 2x half health = ow)
    The cool thing is the infinite force. Wanna throw vader forever and ever and ever and ever and ever? You can. Wanna juggle kazdan like a basketball? Say the word.
    Unfortunately, ps3 only.

Is it even possible to throw Vader? I gave up even trying. Also holy shit the last fight is boring

Tube on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hardest fight in the game is the second boss on the trash heap world. On Master Jedi that is.

Once you get past him its fairly smooth sailing.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On the patched version I pretty much ruined his shit. Pick him up, put some lightning on him, smash him into something.

Tube on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So would picking this up used be worth it? I enjoyed the demo, and probably wouldn't mind playing as a telekinetic dude with a bat. Also I have great skills in ignoring terrible plot.

Which version should I get? Did either get any exclusive content?

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you get the ULTIMATE SITH EDITION!!!!!!! you can play three extra crappy levels and reskin your character as a bunch of star wars characters

Tube on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd rather be cheap.

I saw the Giant Bomb Quick Look of the SITH EDITION and I could probably give up a couple of levels and the skins just looked weird considering the main characters funky ass stance and fighting style.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    although in the hoth level you do get to blast luke skywalker with force lightning.

Tube on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Short gameplay vid. Looks to play the same, graphics looks nice.

I never bothered getting the extra character costumes. But I played the Extra Missions using the naked cyborg model with a Black Lightsaber. I'll uses it again if I ever bother with a New Game+ run.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    God that stance is so retarded...

Tube on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Force unleashed 2 looks amazing, at least the trailer does.

The gameplay looks kinda like final fantasy 12 to me without loading screen between battles.

As in, you walk forwards forever.

hadoken on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Short gameplay vid. Looks to play the same, graphics looks nice.
    Huh. Well. Huh. Looks like Force Unleashed. I don't know what else to make of it.
    hadoken wrote: »
    Force unleashed 2 looks amazing, at least the trailer does.

The gameplay looks kinda like final fantasy 12 to me without loading screen between battles.

As in, you walk forwards forever.
    You're thinking of 13. 12 was entering and leaving the same area forever to trigger rare spawn x.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Unfortunately, ps3 only.

Is it even possible to throw Vader? I gave up even trying. Also holy shit the last fight is boring

You can throw most enemies when they're in the middle of a lightsaber attack and also, on occasion it sometimes randomly just works, I dunno. They fail their random number generator save or something. I just keep on trying until it happens.

I actually killed the bad ending vader on my glitched save, pre patch, with nothing but throw. I managed to catch him in the middle of an animation and then because I had infinite force it was vader basketball times until he died. You have to make sure you keep them targetted and throw them again before they fully come to rest or they'll recover. So I just threw him from wall to wall without letting him hit the ground until he got to low health then tossed him at my feet and stabbed him. Qte and done.

Boy was that satisfying.

I mean sure I'm invincible on that save, but half of the game is the look of the thing and it looked fantastic.

I tried to do it to the emperor too but he has his random "i'm invulnerable" shield thing that pops up regardless of wether he's in mid air or not so I couldn't keep it going forever.

Once on the final "proxy" fight with a certain "secret" fighting mode I threw him around a few times and then accidentally threw him through the world somehow and he dropped out of sight.
    This also happened with the first vader fight on the last level, he got stuck halfway in the floor near a corner. He was flailing for a while and then eventually dropped out of sight.
    Both times I had to go to mission select -> load last save point. But it was funny. I haven't had that happen since patch.

----

That gameplay vid looks pretty much the same, but I noted three things of interest.
    1). You don't have to charge your saber to make it arc out fast
    2). You might actually get force back after killing enemies, I saw little white orbs as well as green orbs. And he was using powers nonstop.
    3). Grab is more seamless, he was able to pick them up and lift them to a goodly distance very quickly and smoothly.

Oh also

4). That stance is retarded. :/

Morninglord on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looks pretty decent to me. It looks like they did fix some of the crappy crap of the combat and make it seem less like a tech demo.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I didn't mind the behind the back stance with one saber...but I'm really not feeling it with two. Still, game looks pretty good.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would be fine with the stance if he held the sabers angled down rather than up. Up just looks awkward.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've always preferred a single saber, so I hope having two is optional. But if not oh well, I'll get used to it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've always preferred a single saber, so I hope having two is optional. But if not oh well, I'll get used to it.

I like the double-bladed staff, but dual sabers always looks pretty lame.

AnteCantelope on