Options

Star Wars: TFU (Ultimate Sith Edition out in US on PC, check thread)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh so there are new videos? I've only seen that thirty second gameplay segment on the platforms. I don't really start focusing intently on a coming game until it's about to come out, especially if I know I'll really get into it. I can't handle the wait after psyching myself up.

On the plus side, this does mean I don't usually have inflated expectations so I'm rarely disappointed. I always underestimate what is going to be in a game. TFU actually surprised me because I was expecting worse. I know my lucasarts.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The IGN daily video shows about 5 minutes of gameplay on the first level (I assume before you get depowered). Highlights were overcharging and just picking up and crushing an ATAT, then throwing it at it's buddy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've always sort of thought of the stormtrooper inaccuracy being an allegory to Vietnam, much like a lot of the other stuff going on. The M16s the US was using were garbage.

Granted, that doesn't account for when a rebel picks up an E-11 and goes to town with it.

I dunno man. If you haven't noticed, the Rebel Senior Citizen Naval Axillary can't shoot worth a crap too. In the first movie, you seem them taking pot shots at stormtroopers neatly lined up as they exit that door they blew in on the ship, and they still miss a good 95% of the time.

I mean, the only thing they're capable of hitting are giant, slow-moving walkers. You know, the ones the size of commercial office buildings. And they still can't do shit against them.

I think if you're not a major character, in Star Wars, you're doomed not to shoot worth a shit.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I think if you're not a major character, in Star Wars, you're doomed not to shoot worth a shit.

And even if you are a major character and actually use guns, you're doomed to have those shots deflected back at you by the other major characters who use lazor swords.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

And even if you are a major character and actually use guns, you're doomed to have those shots deflected back at you by the other major characters who use lazor swords.

Yeah, that too. Or if they stick their hand out.

Honestly, I never thought that was a force power. I assumed it was the power of "I'm wearing a goddamn armored suit, you dumb scruffy drug mule, what the fuck did you think was going to happen?"

Synthesis on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Unless you're Mandalorian of course.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The IGN daily video shows about 5 minutes of gameplay on the first level (I assume before you get depowered). Highlights were overcharging and just picking up and crushing an ATAT, then throwing it at it's buddy.

O_O

I need new pants.

Honestly, I never thought that was a force power. I assumed it was the power of "I'm wearing a goddamn armored suit, you dumb scruffy drug mule, what the fuck did you think was going to happen?"

So did I, but it makes more sense for it to be a force power considering they can blow holes in walls with blasters no problems.

So when I found out later I was like oh ok, fair enough.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Houn on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not feeling the dual lightsabers, but I like the sound of a TFU-trilogy equivalent of Empire. As long as the next installment doesn't have anything as cutesy-lame as the Ewoks, I'll probably stick around for the whole project.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not feeling the dual lightsabers, but I like the sound of a TFU-trilogy equivalent of Empire. As long as the next installment doesn't have anything as cutesy-lame as the Ewoks, I'll probably stick around for the whole project.

Maybe you can force punt the Ewoks, just like those pesky Jawas :)

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    O_O

I need new pants.

So did I, but it makes more sense for it to be a force power considering they can blow holes in walls with blasters no problems.

Except if a major character gets shot, it leaves a tiny hole after they go "Yelp!". Walls are very soft in Star Wars. Probably made from paper mache or something.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    O_O

I need new pants.

Except if a major character gets shot, it leaves a tiny hole after they go "Yelp!". Walls are very soft in Star Wars. Probably made from paper mache or something.

Who gets shot? I honestly don't remember anyone being shot. Do you mean Luke on Jabba's barge?

I'm not saying you are wrong. I have a shitty memory and it's been years since I saw the movies.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Leia gets shot in Return of the Jedi when they're trying to break into the shield generator bunker.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Luke getting shot too is also a good example.

Plus, in all the Dark Forces games, weapons fire seems to typically fall into the category of "mild irritation" even without shields. Of course, games take certain liberties, but that looks pretty accurate for Star Wars.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Eh it's easy enough to say it's either way really. You could construct a good argument for either side based on the available evidence, especially if you are going to be bringing in games.

Star Wars is a total mess. Believe whatever makes you happiest. That's pretty much the point of the whole thing anyway.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Overthinking Star Wars is the easiest way in the world to make yourself angry. Just let all the inconsistencies slide and enjoy the ride.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I basically don't mind talking about star wars if it's a fun and happy conversation between people who enjoy it and don't take it too seriously.

I really hate it when shit turns into information fights based on multiple tiers of canon and just bleurghhhhh not interested.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Basically, don't talk about EU, or Boba Fett. While you may like Boba Fett, it's easier to just not talk about him.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2010
    This thread is about the game

Tube on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When is this game coming out? I can't wait for this, I personally enjoyed the shit out of this game. Flawed as it was, I had 100% total and unbridled fun.

Give me new levels & some more force powers and I'll be a happy guy!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    26th of Oct. Or 29th if you're me.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question I'm sure has been covered.

I've heard that this game is in no way worth buying for PC if you have the option of getting it on console. True/False?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I've heard that this game is in no way worth buying for PC if you have the option of getting it on console. True/False?

True.

By all accounts, the PC port is not a good one.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    However, the PC version is only $30...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »

True.

Eh, it's not bad. Granted, my PC runs everything thrown at it, so I don't know how it performs on low-mid range PCs. The menus are annoyingly all keyboard driven though, and it takes bloody 28gb of space. It's real downfall is you still need a gamepad, because it controls like absolute shit with a keyboard.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thats what I was looking for. I have no intention of buying a gamepad for one game and if it really does control like shit that sucks.

And fuck paying the overpriced PS3 price. I guess I'll wait for TFU 2.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thats what I was looking for. I have no intention of buying a gamepad for one game and if it really does control like shit that sucks.

And fuck paying the overpriced PS3 price. I guess I'll wait for TFU 2.

The boss fights are the worst offender. Basic gameplay is fine with a keyboard and mouse except using force throw is harder because or the unreliable targeting, it's just that in boss fights it shifts to a god of war style fixed camera, and it gets really hard to control. It's worth playing if you are into Star Wars. The story is good, and it's fun using amped up force powers to completely destroy groups of storm troopers/rebels. The first time I let off a charged up force push on Kashyyk I couldn't believe what happened. The bridge rippled, wookies went flying, bark was stripped from trees, and it looked awesome.

If you can find it cheap, you are a star wars fan, and you have a relatively beefy PC, I'd still gave the PC version a try. If you can find the PS3 version used for cheaper, just go with that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

True.

Eh, it's not bad. Granted, my PC runs everything thrown at it, so I don't know how it performs on low-mid range PCs. The menus are annoyingly all keyboard driven though, and it takes bloody 28gb of space. It's real downfall is you still need a gamepad, because it controls like absolute shit with a keyboard.

I played it with the keyboard and I thought it was fine. This isn't a game I'm inclined to be generous about either.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

True.

I played it with the keyboard and I thought it was fine. This isn't a game I'm inclined to be generous about either.

I expanded on what I said above your post, but, general gameplay is pretty fine with keyboard and mouse. boss fights aren't, beause they shift to a fixed camera angle like God of War, and you really need an analog input for those. You can still get through them, but it's a headache.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The correct answer is the Wii version
    I'm Luke Skywalker!
    Woarown...
    Kshhhhhhzzzt.. Woanrownroowrow...
    Ptooo! Kshhhhhhkawow..
    Rownoarorrrrr!
    I'm Luke Skywalker!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

True.

I expanded on what I said above your post, but, general gameplay is pretty fine with keyboard and mouse. boss fights aren't, beause they shift to a fixed camera angle like God of War, and you really need an analog input for those. You can still get through them, but it's a headache.

I actually have a good experience with the PC port. Picked it up on the steam sale and really don't have any complaints. For the record, I completed the original version on the 360 at launch. So I can compare it against the console versions.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Leia gets shot in Return of the Jedi when they're trying to break into the shield generator bunker.

Which means in the entire trilogy, hell even counting the awful prequel trilogy, for all the blaster fire directed at the heroes, Stormtroopers managed to wing one main character in the shoulder.

And that singularly gifted scout trooper was probably aiming at Han and hit Leia by mistake.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    this thread is about the force unleashed

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if anyone has been paying attention to www.unleashed2010.com, but there's a lot more story clips from the new game up there now. Evidently there have been a lot of updates to the background as new content is added; you can find the older versions of the site on YouTube.

Houn on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Two things I never understood:

1. How to break through an enemy boss' Force bubble. It seemed like neither lightning nor throwing objects would work.

2. The complaints of the lightsaber feeling like a bat. It felt okay to me. I'm not sure what others were looking for.

What I would like to see in the next are some mind trick powers and some levels that have some hapless innocent NPCs. TFU 1 had, what, one or two levels with a handful of non-enemies?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    2. The complaints of the lightsaber feeling like a bat. It felt okay to me. I'm not sure what others were looking for.

Those people wanted another one of these.

swjk2-mac-lg%5B1%5D.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Or, similarly, another of these:

df2.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    One of the E3 vids they specifically mention trying to make it feel less like a bat in the second game.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Not really, since the lightsaber combat in Jedi Knight 2 was pretty disappointing as well, just for different reasons. It was really well done in Jedi Outcast.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I actually felt the earlier game overall was much more enjoyable, of course, Outcast came much later.

The lightsaber combat was better in the later game, but I personally think DFII was more enjoyable as a game. Then again, I wasn't very impressed by the lightsaber combat in Outcast. The greater number of options in Jedi Academy grabbed my attention much better, but the game overall was weaker...

Synthesis on