As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The UK Communications Data Bill - XBL and Every website you visit will be logged.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Vulpine wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7674775.stm

Words cannot express the horror. Geoff Hoon, when asked how far he would curtail civil liberties, replied:
    "To stop terrorists killing people in our society, quite a long way actually."

Well the simple fact is this. I have a high end degree, experience and disposable income. Pretty much any nation on Earth would invite me to emigrate there, and with most of my family living in Canada abroad I can just up sticks the moment Britain becomes undesirable.

Its a case of if they keep fucking the frat house up, I'll go across the street and party there.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Cabinet minister Geoff Hoon says that not monitoring mobile and web data would give "a licence to terrorists to kill people".

What a fucking moron. The worst thing the terrorists did wasn't attacking us, it was giving our politicians the ability to attack us on a national and permanent basis.

That quote is utterly horrifying. Whats the saying?

'Those who are willing to sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither'?

Whats worse is he then said:
    The greatest civil liberty of all is to not be killed by a terrorist.

:(:(:(

Lave II on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ooh, a commenter left this:

SIGN THE PETITION

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/no-to-1984/

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    On the ladder of civil liberties, 'not getting killed by a terrorist' ranks a few rungs below 'freedom of speech' and 'Hawaiian Fridays' for me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd agree except I have no idea what the heck Hawaiian Fridays are.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You sir have not lived a day in your life.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    Ooh, a commenter left this:

SIGN THE PETITION

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/no-to-1984/

Don't they always ignore that petition site though? I thought it's pretty much just there so that they can claim they listen to people.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    nah the no 10 petitions and several independent ones get cited in the print media and have significant political clout. while the government wont act directly as a result of one, no matter how many signatures it has, the use of this huge group of people whose opinions are clearly defined is a powerful weapon in the house and fleet street.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've actually been thinking about becoming a terrorist. I was going to just spend an hour or so googling "How to become a terrorist", but this kind of legislation has made me have second thoughts.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm glad people are concerned about this, but I'm afraid you're far too late. The Goverment can already get pretty much any info it wants about your online activities from your ISP, this database would simply make it easier. And it's already pretty easy for them, they'd just rather not have to ask. Take solice in the fact that there is far too much information for anyone to sort through, so unless you're getting investigated for something outside of your internet life, your internet activities will never even be glanced at.

I'm more concerned about how this would be an utter waste of my tax money.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Well the simple fact is this. I have a high end degree, experience and disposable income. Pretty much any nation on Earth would invite me to emigrate there, and with most of my family living in Canada abroad I can just up sticks the moment Britain becomes undesirable.

Its a case of if they keep fucking the frat house up, I'll go across the street and party there.

I always used to joke to my friends that I'd do the same, but I'm giving it serious consideration. It's really quite sad that we've come to the point where we give strong thought to fleeing, isn't it?

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Vulpine wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I always used to joke to my friends that I'd do the same, but I'm giving it serious consideration. It's really quite sad that we've come to the point where we give strong thought to fleeing, isn't it?

There's already a record number of national citizens leaving every year. It's pretty sad that its a scenario where you just have to deal with a shitty government and cant do anything about it and they can decide when to call an election. We could have had one by now I think.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ...Exactly who can we vote for that won't shit on us equally, if not more? We have too many things labour locked us into, too much debt, and generally things are circling the drain, and none of the parties ever likely to get elected do anything other than mimic new labour.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it me or are Labour pushing us all into becoming terrorists?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Is it me or are Labour pushing us all into becoming terrorists?

Its an easy excuse to grant the government more power at the expense of the ordinaries. Problem is that regular people grew out of that terrorism excuse a long time ago, so its just passing laws while severely pissing off every citizen who pays hard earned money to be fucked over.

We need a new UK politics thread.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ...Exactly who can we vote for that won't shit on us equally, if not more? We have too many things labour locked us into, too much debt, and generally things are circling the drain, and none of the parties ever likely to get elected do anything other than mimic new labour.

Is it sad that I'm sitting here in the United States and thinking... "Wow, your two-party system is pretty fucked up."?

I mean, no disrespect intended to Britain as a whole, but when your two-party system is worse than the one in the US there might be something wrong.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Theres a two-party system in the US? Huh. Go figure.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

Is it sad that I'm sitting here in the United States and thinking... "Wow, your two-party system is pretty fucked up."?

I mean, no disrespect intended to Britain as a whole, but when your two-party system is worse than the one in the US there might be something wrong.

It's not though. I mean what i your basis for this claim?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

You get to elect a representative rather than a party.

We elected one guy because he was kind of ok and got stuck with the rest of the fuckers that came with him, including his replacement. Its too easy a job to take advantage of, they're only in it for the money and pension that dwarfs that of nurses, firemen and policemen and takes only 10 years of doing fuck all to earn. There are some good ones but 10 bad ones for every one.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We also have a three party system.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    We also have a three party system.
    Though it's very, VERY easy to see otherwise.

But that BBC article disgusts me on an intelectual level and realy makes me wonder more than a few things in regards to what the fuck I voted for (it's of note I did not vote for labour and my age only allowed me to begin voting in the last three years or so, so that might explain a few things) because I most certainly did not vote for these ass jockeys.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    We voted for a company called anderson. Yay for us!

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm rather ashamed to admit I voted Labour the year they came to power. Thing is, I remember growing up in a Conservative Britain and if anything it was worse than this. Different shit, but shit all the same. Thatcher would probably have loved the opportunity to have a camera in every persons bedroom but was only thwarted because the technology wasn't yet in place.

So now I'm stuck with a choice between SNP and Lib Dem. SNP has slightly more chance than Lib Dem and are predominantly similar in their policies except for the whole Scottish Independence thing which I'm entirely undecided about. Although if it's a choice between going it alone and V for Vendetta...well, Independence starts to look kind of tempting again as much hardship as we'd have to deal with as a result.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The thing is it didn't change. Usually we'd have labour that spends all the money, and conservative fixes it. this time we've got a labour gov that differs very little from conservative in many ways, and yet manages to lose all our money.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    The thing is it didn't change. Usually we'd have labour that spends all the money, and conservative fixes it. this time we've got a labour gov that differs very little from conservative in many ways, and yet manages to lose all our money.

Eh. Things did change with Labour. I think they have made a bunch of improvements over the old Tory regime. The problem seems to be that they're a bunch of fascist cunts who think their remit is to rule rather than govern. Their mantra of giving up civil liberties in exchange for 'safety' seems to have been a recurrent theme since they came to office. But they're taking away our liberties in exchange for 'safety' from things that we never asked to be protected from.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    I've not agreed with you over a few issues in the past, but this really irks me. That seems way out of line. I'll try and get a rational and coherent response together and write a complaint tonight.
    :^:

Exactly darleysam, before when we've argued about stuff like this there was a line to be argued and you had a strong point. Even I thought that maybe I am over reaching on it.

Aw come on you two are giving up before you've given a chance to make that old magic happen!

This is a fairly scary thing, and I hope it gets voted down, as it could (and will) set a precedent for western nations as well if it goes through.

Bad enough you guys have a billion CCTV's watching your every move already.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I used to hate them, but I honestly do believe Lib Dem could be the way forward next election.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I used to hate them, but I honestly do believe Lib Dem could be the way forward next election.

Of the 3, they probably cant be the worst. But Brown is running the economy into the ground so that whoever takes over won't have a chance of succeeding.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Of the 3, they probably cant be the worst. But Brown is running the economy into the ground so that whoever takes over won't have a chance of succeeding.
    Success is probably out of the question for anyone, fucking up the least is what we're aiming for.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »

Success is probably out of the question for anyone, fucking up the least is what we're aiming for.

Realising they're there to run the country and not rule its citizens would be a good start.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Isn't that a great situation for a country to be in.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That said, there isn't that much about our actual political SYSTEM I'd change. I really quite like it, and I think in theory and on paper it works better than the US equivalent. It just needs to be modernized in a few small areas, and I think elections should be carried out in a similar way to the US - more public posting of polls throughout, a longer campaign trail and debates - other than that, I honestly think it's ok.

The problem we have right now is the average age of MPs and people in the house. Hopefully in future years we'll see a shift and see a lot more younger politicial figures. Most of them still think it's 1856, and those who don't and are more radical always do something stupid and get ripped apart by the tabloids.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Isn't that a great situation for a country to be in.

Things can only get better!

oh wait..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    /reads BBC article

So is this where we sign up for the "Foster a UK PAer" program?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    /reads BBC article

Secret Santa just got a whole lot more interesting.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    /reads BBC article

Secret Santa just got a whole lot more interesting.

A plane ticket and a fake passport! How did you know?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    /reads BBC article

Can someone in Texas pick me? I have a friend in Texas.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As is often the case, Charlie Brooker sums up my opinions on this matter pretty well.
    The way things are going, I half-expect to hear a quiet electric "peep" noise each time I flush the toilet; another bowel movement logged by Bumland Security.

But I don't get angry. I shrug. They won. They won years ago. Like a bear in a zoo, I can rub my head against the wall in despair, or ignore the onlookers and forlornly shuffle around as normal. Past that balcony window. Where each time they get an eyeful, an electric peep sounds somewhere in the dark.

Yeah. Never mind a boot stamping on a human face forever. A smug electric peep each time they catch sight of your bumhole. That's your future, right there.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey, I got a reply:
    Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email, and for your supportive words on this. Following the controversy surrounding 42 day detention and the government’s determination to ensure that we are all forced to carry ID cards, they do not seem to accept that we do not want any further invasion of our civil liberties.

The government's Orwellian plans for a vast database of our private communications are deeply worrying. The government have repeatedly shown it could not be trusted with sensitive data, and so there is little reason to think ministers will be any more careful with our phone and internet records. They are claiming the database will only be used in terrorist cases, but there is now a long list of cases, from the arrest of Walter Wolfgang for heckling at a Labour conference to the freezing of Icelandic assets, where anti-terrorism law has been used for purposes for which it was not intended. Our experience of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act suggests these powers will soon be used to spy on people's children, pets and bins.

Please be assured that I will be monitoring any further legislation in this area and will most certainly be opposing any further intrusions into our private lives. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance in relation to this or any other matter.

Yours sincerely,
    Jo Swinson MP

You know, I had totaly forgotten thier nonsence with sensitive data.....

Conan-san on
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I also got a reply, though my MP is a Labour guy. As such, his reply was pretty non-committal:
    I will certainly look very closely at the provisions of the Communications Data Bill.

...Aaaand that was it. Not that I was expecting much.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.