As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The UK Communications Data Bill - XBL and Every website you visit will be logged.

124»

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I sent an email but so far just got a remail from his secretary saying it would be forwarded to him.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got a letter from my MP, in which he says that he's written to Vernon Coaker MP at the Home Office, raising all these points. He also included a speech he gave regarding privacy and security which I have yet to read. According to his letter, 'the next Conservative Government is committed to scrapping the ID card scheme and will move to ensure that the DNA database will be put on a statutory footing'.

I'm not entirely sure what 'statutory footing' means. I imagine it means that only legitimate evidence will be kept, but I'm not at all sure that's doable.

He also mentions microchip spies in rubbish bins, which I ridiculed when they were first discussed.

EDIT: Okay, I've read his speech. The first two pages are about privacy and a surveillance state, and I'm completely with him up until the point where he uses it as a segue into discussing about why we should leave the European Union, something I am steadfastly against. He then spends the rest of the document (six pages) complaining about the EU membership fee and the standard politicians' "how many schools could have been built with this money?!" tirade.

I'm actually kind of disappointed. I should have realised that being old-fashioned about privacy and security also means that you're not forward-thinking in other ways.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, every so often I think...'maybe I should vote Conservative...' and then I hear one of them speaking for more than four sentences and am reminded that no, God no, no way, nu uh.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, every so often I think...'maybe I should vote Conservative...' and then I hear one of them speaking for more than four sentences and am reminded that no, God no, no way, nu uh.
    Vote lib dem then. My MP's been liberal for years and we have few to no complaints about him or his policies. The Labour local council though...but this thread isn't about bi-weekly rubbish collection.
    As long as everyone remembers to vote yellow next time, we're golden.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, that is insanely insane. How dare they even think of doing it?

Snare on
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seriously. We need more MPs like mine, Martin Horwood.

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's not going to happen though is it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ^everyone voting lib dem that is.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Yeah, or people could stop thinking stupid shit like "oh the lib dems'll never get in, so I won't waste my vote on 'em" because that's why they never get in. Fuck, how do people not recognise this? [/rant]

Anyway, to keep this more closely aligned with G&T rather than D&D, has anyone else figured out how difficult this data they want is going to be to store centrally?
    Because there is no way the ISPs are going to want their servers linked permanently to some terminal in Westminster.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    bustedtees.ef270fa215d10509c3fd5a7396959940.gif

L*2*G*X on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Yeah, or people could stop thinking stupid shit like "oh the lib dems'll never get in, so I won't waste my vote on 'em" because that's why they never get in. Fuck, how do people not recognise this? [/rant]

Anyway, to keep this more closely aligned with G&T rather than D&D, has anyone else figured out how difficult this data they want is going to be to store centrally?
    Because there is no way the ISPs are going to want their servers linked permanently to some terminal in Westminster.

20020701h.gif

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, so my MP, Michael Meacher, replied with an actual letter and an attached article he wrote on why he won't support the bill. Yay!

DarkWarrior on