As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon (Tournament OVER) - Chen Wins! Also TRU Shaymin giveaway Feb. now-14th

• Options
    JugsJugs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Speed, good to see you back, I've beaten chen already so he manages to get another shot at me?

Jugs on
    Friend code 2965 4488 5135
    jugssig.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jugs wrote: »
    Speed, good to see you back, I've beaten chen already so he manages to get another shot at me?

If he wins against Toasty, yeah. At this point do-overs are relatively unavoidable.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And if Chen then wins against Jugs, they could very well go up against each other AGAIN in the final 4.

Things will probably work out much more smoothly if Toasty wins.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm around.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And if Chen then wins against Jugs, they could very well go up against each other AGAIN in the final 4.

Things will probably work out much more smoothly if Toasty wins.

Which he will if Chen doesn't stop being so irresponsible in regards to this tournament!

Because that's something that I can say without the slightest hint of hypocrisy!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let's do thisssssssss.

edit: Hook me up with your code.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RMD, I'm here all evening, although I'll be doing other things so I may take a little while to respond. Just post in the thread when you want to battle.

Also, might I point out that if Chen or Toasty wins against Jugs, we will have 3 people with 5 points rather than two... thus the four-pointers will only have one slot available.

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Let's do thisssssssss.

edit: Hook me up with your code.
    1633 1499 9731

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Gettin' on.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    First turn critical hit.

Seems like a good sign.

edit: Comm error? Boo hiss!

Let's try that again.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This is the most switchingest battle. Not on my side either :P

edit: This is now the most boring battle ever.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heh, before the tournament, Ink and I had a fight with many of our tournament dudes! It was very close...this match should be interesting!

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What? I don't like to sacrifice my dudes. Good game man. You almost had her.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No offense dude, but that was probably the most boring battle I have ever fought. You switched to a wall every other turn to avoid taking any damage at all when you could have taken a few risks and swept me. And your Stealth Rock did most of the work anyway. How many guys did you have leftovers on? At least half I know.

Don't get me wrong, you played well. I couldn't take out even one of your guys. It was just a tensionless battle.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Has Chen fought dingus, yet? If not, Chen vs DX and Jugs vs RMD would avoid the Jugs vs Chen rematch.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    JugsJugs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has Chen fought dingus, yet? If not, Chen vs DX and Jugs vs RMD would avoid the Jugs vs Chen rematch.

Don't get me wrong if it has to be chen and me in the finals or something thats fine, but let us avoid the rematch as long as possible.

Jugs on
    Friend code 2965 4488 5135
    jugssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sorry, Toasty, but maybe it's not entirely my fault? Pure physical sweepers tend to do major damage to any of my tanks. A Lucario for example would tear them right up. I can't help it that you opted not to use him.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah, that works.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And now it is Toasty versus Munkus! A conspiracy of fate!

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At least that one can't end up with yet another rematch.

Is there a better spinner than Donphan? He's good and I like that he also has SR, but I dunno, he seems a little lacking. I dunno, Foretress? It seems pretty okay.

EDIT: Whoa wait when did Donphan get boosted to OU?

I think I'll try Tentacruel. I remember a while back I saw his stats and thought "hey, he seems pretty good!" but didn't jump on it and before long everyone caught onto it and beat me to the punch.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Is there a better spinner than Donphan? He's good and I like that he also has SR, but I dunno, he seems a little lacking. I dunno, Foretress? It seems pretty okay.

I think I'll try Tentacruel. I remember a while back I saw his stats and thought "hey, he seems pretty good!" but didn't jump on it and before long everyone caught onto it and beat me to the punch.

Starmie?

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Starmie?

Kinda delicate for that, isn't it? I mean I guess you could force them to switch to their counter for it, but I dunno, spin makes more sense to me on a tank.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Starmie can be tankish with a Bold nature thanks to Recover.

If you want a real tank though use Blastoise!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Starmie?

Kinda delicate for that, isn't it? I mean I guess you could force them to switch to their counter for it, but I dunno, spin makes more sense to me on a tank.

Yeah thats what I thought too but everyone loves spin on Starmie. It can get pretty bulky with Recover if it really wants to be.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aw man, I wanted to get revenge on RMD.

Well Chen, I can do our fight in about a half hour.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Starmie?

Yeah thats what I thought too but everyone loves spin on Starmie. It can get pretty bulky with Recover if it really wants to be.
    Eeeeeehhhhhhh

I think I'm gonna go with Tentacruel.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aw man, I wanted to get revenge on RMD.

Well Chen, I can do our fight in about a half hour.
    Can't do my friend. Perhaps tomorrow.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    syntaxfunctionsyntaxfunction Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    Uh, hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just feel like saying that these threads are a great read and I've learnt quite a bit.

Secondly, MetalKid seems to be down and I can't find a mirror of the offline program anywhere. Does anyone know of a mirror that's available? I need to check some IVs and I've not got the WiFi access to just do an IV battle, and I haven't got nearly enough rare candies, so MetalKid is basically the only reasonable option for me.

I'd also like to get opinions on my Eevees. I know that they aren't really that useful, but I've been wanting to make an Espeon for a while now. 272 soft resets and I finally got a Timid female (Breeding for one was horrid and I filled many a box with rejected natures). So far I managed to IV six before MetalKid disappeared. This Espeon will be my first properly IV bred and EV trained Pokémon. I've dabbled before, but never really seriously. Anyway, here's the stats for the first batch.
    Eevee #1 Female
    HP: 15 - 17
    Att: 6
    Def: 23
    SpA: 29
    SpD: 25
    Speed: 10 - 12

Eevee #2 Male
    HP: 5
    Att: 3 - 4
    Def: 0 - 7
    SpA: 1
    SpD: 12
    Speed: 17

Eevee #3 Male
    HP: 2
    Def: 0 - 7
    SpA: 10 - 17

Eevee #4 Male
    HP: 24 - 25
    Def: 10 - 11
    Speed: 5

Eevee #5 Female
    HP: 31
    Att: 0 - 1
    Def: 20 - 22
    SpD: 10 - 11
    Speed: 15 - 17

Eevee #6 Male
    HP: 10 - 12
    Att: 21 - 23
    Def: 25 - 27
    SpD: 31

I know none are really that good, with One looking the best out of them. Should I keep breeding for a better one? I'm thinking of attempting a Sweeper role with it, so I should look for high Sp.Atk and Speed IVs, correct?

syntaxfunction on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I know none are really that good, with One looking the best out of them. Should I keep breeding for a better one? I'm thinking of attempting a Sweeper role with it, so I should look for high Sp.Atk and Speed IVs, correct?

Absolutely keep breeding. If you are just getting it to sweep (maybe with Choice Specs or a Focus Sash or something), you really only need to be concerned with Special Attack and Speed, but both of those should be at least above 20. Considering Espeon is also tied for speed with Gengar and friends, most would go for a perfect 31 IV in speed, but its understandable if you don't want to do that so early in your pokemon career.

Try to get two decent Eevees, too. While you are breeding them anyway, you might as well try to get a decent one for a Jolteon if you ever decide to train one, since it would need Timid anyway.

While it may not help with this particular pokemon, my advice for the future is to go catch a slew of Dittos. If you can get some good nature'd dittos with good IVs, breeding because MUCH easier and faster. Even bad nature'd ones can be useful.

(Sorry, I don't have a replacement for Metalkid's. I was also bothered by his site going down, as I was hoping to run some damage calculations for my next matchup in this tournament)

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    While it may not help with this particular pokemon, my advice for the future is to go catch a slew of Dittos. If you can get some good nature'd dittos with good IVs, breeding because MUCH easier and faster. Even bad nature'd ones can be useful.

I would catch like a whole box of them! 31 if you like the odds to work out easy. When you catch a bunch of dittos, the chance of having a couple 31s in there are really good! The ability to introduce, say, a 31 in speed to a breeding project can be an invaluable asset.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    Sorry, Toasty, but maybe it's not entirely my fault? Pure physical sweepers tend to do major damage to any of my tanks. A Lucario for example would tear them right up. I can't help it that you opted not to use him.
    Yeah I definitely could have prepared a bit better. Relicanth didn't do me much good. I didn't bring Forretress though cause I already had a Steel/Bug type. And yes, Lucario would have been a good choice for me.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The whole key to breeding is Ditto. It's almost as if it was meant to represent a blob of primordial goop with eyes. Anyways, is anyone on for a quick IV-test? I went digging and found a couple Level 1s I traded some items for- might even have a candidate for a decent Roserade if the scores are good enough.

EDIT: I don't really think it's fair for me to get an automatic R-5 loss, I was here every single day looking for match postings. I thought we were pulling six rounds of Swiss, not four. But I guess it can't be helped- last place is mine. That's what I get for running a squad of old starters, XD transfers, and random Trading Post pulls. Oh well.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    The whole key to breeding is Ditto. It's almost as if it was meant to represent a blob of primordial goop with eyes. Anyways, is anyone on for a quick IV-test? I went digging and found a couple Level 1s I traded some items for- might even have a candidate for a decent Roserade if the scores are good enough.

EDIT: I don't really think it's fair for me to get an automatic R-5 loss, I was here every single day looking for match postings. I thought we were pulling six rounds of Swiss, not four. But I guess it can't be helped- last place is mine. That's what I get for running a squad of old starters, XD transfers, and random Trading Post pulls. Oh well.

Were you supposed to fight Zerokku round 5? If so go ahead.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zerokku? Okay, this ought to be good.

EDIT: On second thought, never mind. It'd just hold up the tournament, and I have as much a shot at winning as I do of finding an old D/P cart at the game store that's full of tournament-worthy pokes. None.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really have no idea what the pairings are supposed to be anymore so yeah we'll go with that. If Zerokku's not here by midnight or by the time that all of the matches I posted earlier are completed, then he's disqualified.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay, if you say so. Now, anyone open to help me pull a quick IV check? I want to start EV training pretty bad, but IVs first.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I want to make a Raichu but I don't know which way to take it! SubPunch seems pretty decent, but so does T-Wave/Thunderbolt/Nasty Plot/Grass Knot!

I like Choice Specs too but dang if I'm gonna breed for a Hidden Power!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'd go with the second and breed for high Speed and Sp. Atk IVs, along with a Timid nature.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Now that I'm back from work (they reward my hard work in overtime with.. more overtime! Yay.), just to be clear, Kay totally won our match. I was trying to run from the match (I was pretty much doomed by that point anyway), but wandered too far from the router while on a hunt for my keys. So that match is settled!

Not my best showing, but at least with a 2/5 record I won't have to worry about potentially holding up the tournament even more with my not being around over the weekend! GO TOURNAMENT GO!

Also, Tentacruel is still my most successful random IV generated breed ever. My Tentacruel (named WTF because I could) with its four perfect IVs has been useful for breeding within Tentacruel's egg group. Actually used it to indirectly father Armor Wolf. Though you know what I don't see very often as a spinner? Armaldo. Probably because a spinner weak to Stealth Rock kind of sucks, but hey!

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I actually like Torkoal as a spinner. I mean, sure, he's weak to Stealth Rock, but mono-Fire has some useful resistances.

It's really funny when some random poke throws stone edge or EQ at him and it does like 1/3 damage.

Plus he explodes. In a recent battle against SirToasty my Torkoal got 3 kills, 2 with Overheat and one with Explosion. He was instrumental to winning the match. In another match (on gamefaqs) he defeated all 3 of my opponents walls by Toxicing Cresselia and Dusknoir and Exploding on Blissey.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID