As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

COSMOS FANTASTICA: Marvel Cosmic B.S. Thread

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, I think I remember her from Earth X. She and Adam made reincarnated Captain Marvel.

And...does anyone understand Hiro-Kala's storylines? I've read his wiki entry, and the Son of Hulk, RoK: Son of Hulk trades, and I still don't get it.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Ah, I think I remember her from Earth X. She and Adam made reincarnated Captain Marvel.

And...does anyone understand Hiro-Kala's storylines? I've read his wiki entry, and the Son of Hulk, RoK: Son of Hulk trades, and I still don't get it.

Amen. I spent so long re-reading all the lead up issues and his mini... no fucking idea what his deal is.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Beyond the fact that he has crazy ammounts of old strong power and he's a shadow person I haven't a clue.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't Hiro-Kala some kind of prophet of doom? I haven't read his Paul Jenkins story but I am reading his Realm of Kings mini.

Edit: I need to re-read Skaar: Son of Hulk again cause I don't even remember Hiro-Kala being in the book.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Isn't Hiro-Kala some kind of prophet of doom? I haven't read his Paul Jenkins story but I am reading his Realm of Kings mini.

Edit: I need to re-read Skaar: Son of Hulk again cause I don't even remember Hiro-Kala being in the book.

Hiro-Kala was kind of shoe-horned in at the last moment when they decided to move Skaar to Earth. At least that was my impression.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been reading Skaar: Son of Hulk in trade, knowing already that Hiro-Kala means something, and his role since the beginning of the series seems pretty pronounced and obvious to me.

Rans on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hiro was kicking around as a background character since issue 1, and then suddenly revealed as the 2nd son around #13-14. Thereabouts. They never really explained that. I guess he and Skaar emerged from opposite ends of the lava pool their mother disintegrated in...?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just read the prologue one-shot in the Realm of Kings hardcover. Good start, love the monster designs of the Cancerverse.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some absolutely beautiful penciled and inked work from Thanos Imperative #4, with a very icky Cancerverse Spider-Woman:

1280508738.jpg

1280508799.jpg

1280508801.jpg

1280508833.jpg

Sepulveda original art can't be that expensive, might be steal for that splash page....

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    1280508738.jpg

Hey, someone is about to get their asses kicked.

Edit: Cockblocked by the one post per three minutes limit.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shit just got real.

Seriously, Thanos Imperative is getting better and better, next issue is going to rock.

Solar on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We've reached heightened levels of fecal actualization all up ins.

Haven't seen this much superhero firepower going into combat since back in the days of the Infinity _____ storylines. Still blows me away to see Nova among them, and not consider him out of place.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is it too soon to declare DnA on the same level as Jim Starlin regarding cosmic comic stories? Annihilation: Conquest, while overall good, was still inferior to Annihilation but everything they've written since then has ranged from great to excellent. And Thanos: Imperative is reaching Infinity Gauntlet-levels of epicness.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Is it too soon to declare DnA on the same level as Jim Starlin regarding cosmic comic stories? Annihilation: Conquest, while overall good, was still inferior to Annihilation but everything they've written since then has ranged from great to excellent. And Thanos: Imperative is reaching Infinity Gauntlet-levels of epicness.

They wrote some awesome LoSH stuff as well, way back when.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd say DnA are better than Starlin, for the simple fact Starlin relied too heavily on Thanos in everything cosmic he did.

DnA spread out the love a bit. Even the same with Giffen.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Really Annihilation was as good as Infinity Gauntlet by anyone's standards. I agree that the Thanos Imperative is setting itself up to be even bigger and better, so far I've enjoyed it more than Annihilation in fact, just because it is that epic.

Solar on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's just a hard scientific fact that Thanos makes your story about ten times more epic than it would be without Thanos

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Marvel: The End wasn't that good.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    never said it had anything to do with quality!

just the level of epicness

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't like to think things can be epic bad, that should be reserved for only the good things.

Quit being so HIV negative.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Epic has nothing to do with quality

At all

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Epic means large in scale, and Thanos being involved in an event does tend to showcase just how cosmic (or indeed epic) the event is. On the other hand a writer relying on one character can get stale, so I agree with Texiken that DnA are better in that regard because they can make something epic without needing the same characters every time. War of Kings was epic and great but hardly had Nova, who was earlier on the hero of Annihilation, and the main focus of WoK was on Black Bolt et al vs Vulcan and his servants while the Guardians, effectively the heroes of Annihlation: Conquest, were side-parts. Important well written side-parts but side-parts nontheless. Also I honestly prefer DnA to Starlin, though the latter is still an excellent writer and very skilled at his craft.

Solar on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The reason why Annihilation: Conquest isn't as good as Annihilation is due to scope. Annihilation: Conquest was focused on one empire (the kree). Annihilation involved the whole universe and as such more was at stake.

This is why The Thanos Imperative is shaping up to be awesome. Major events will happen and it will affect the whole universe. This is Marvel cosmic, and as such the writers have less problems with drastically changing the status quo.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    The reason why Annihilation: Conquest isn't as good as Annihilation is due to scope. Annihilation: Conquest was focused on one empire (the kree). Annihilation involved the whole universe and as such more was at stake.

This is why The Thanos Imperative is shaping up to be awesome. Major events will happen and it will affect the whole universe. This is Marvel cosmic, and as such the writers have less problems with drastically changing the status quo.

Well most people would also argue that Wraith made A:C not as good as the first but honestly the character never bothered me that much. I think he should has at least gotten a one-shot afterwards detailing his quest to rid the Phalanx from the Kree homeworld.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a clean break where I can enter the cosmic stuff closer to Thanos Imperative without having to read everything since Annihilation?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Is there a clean break where I can enter the cosmic stuff closer to Thanos Imperative without having to read everything since Annihilation?

You could skip both Annihilation events and start with War of Kings I'd say. Realm of Kings is a fairly vital story to understanding TI also, especially the Guardians of the Galaxy tie-in which is volume 4 of that series.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You could probably just start with THANOS IMPERATIVE:IGNITION.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What? There is no reason to skip Annihilation.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

Just depends on how much you want to spend, I guess. I'm not trying to take anything away from the quality of the Annihilation books, but I'd say it does people a disservice to say "You can't skip <insert book here>!" If a series is put together well (I'd say this applies to Thanos Imperative), then you shouldn't need to pick up three or four previous volumes to know what is going on and/or enjoy the story. Pick up the three current issues of TI (Ignition, #1, #2), and if you decide that you'd like to see more of those characters, fill in the appropriate back stock at a later time.

Stories that require you to pick up $60 worth of trade paperback homework so you can understand what's going on are shitty stories.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

Just depends on how much you want to spend, I guess. I'm not trying to take anything away from the quality of the Annihilation books, but I'd say it does people a disservice to say "You can't skip <insert book here>!" If a series is put together well (I'd say this applies to Thanos Imperative), then you shouldn't need to pick up three or four previous volumes to know what is going on and/or enjoy the story. Pick up the three current issues of TI (Ignition, #1, #2), and if you decide that you'd like to see more of those characters, fill in the appropriate back stock at a later time.

Stories that require you to pick up $60 worth of trade paperback homework so you can understand what's going on are shitty stories.

Thank you.

Pretty much this. I am a long time DC fan and am devoted to the back catalog there, but Marvel's trades tend to be more expensive and their stories stretched out more. I really don't want to pick up the 5 total annihilation volumes (including conquest), 5 volumes each of Nova and GotG, two volumes of War of Kings, and the Realm of Kings hardcover and literally spend hundreds of dollars I don't really have just to read one story.

I know GotG led up to Thanos, because I saw some scans on here that just looked incredible. I'd be more than willing to pick up the pertinent volumes there to get in on it.

Also, I don't know if the last Nova issues were also a heavy prelude, or how much of Realm of Kings led directly to the story, but I would be considering those as well.

And I will go back and read Annihilation eventually, I just don't have $75 to spend on a single story right now. I'm hoping someday Marvel will print Omnibus or Ultimate Collections for the two Annihilation stories.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you wanted to start, Wirehead posted a good starting point, but in an even shorter timeframe go:

Guardians of the Galaxy #25
    Nova #36
    Thanos Imperative: Ignition #1
    and then the current great series.

It may not equal Doomwar in terms of excellence, but there is no shame in being #2 to that mini.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think it's as good as Doomwar, though I am biased. In any case Iginition and the most recent GotG are all you really need to get into the current Thanos series.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    If you wanted to start, Wirehead posted a good starting point, but in an even shorter timeframe go:

Guardians of the Galaxy #25
    Nova #36
    Thanos Imperative: Ignition #1
    and then the current great series.

That's a good list to get people started, although I'd still recommend getting the Realm of Kings one-shot first, which sets up Nova 36 and introduces a lot of the baddies that are in the main series.

I liked RoK:Imperial Guard a lot, I'm hoping to see more of them in future cosmic books (although I wished they hadn't killed so many of them). I felt it was the better of the build-up minis (Inhumans being the other one), and it included a lot of the elements that are central to the Thanos Imperative story (Quasar, evil universe), and more of the evil Darkhawks storyline. That's all personal preference though, it's not really needed to understand Thanos Imperative proper.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just got my Realm of Kings hardcover from Amazon. I'm digging it a lot. The shot at the end of the Imperial Guard mini with the wall of lights was pretty awesome.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Preview for Thanos Imperative #3:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=5989

Holy poop.
    Aegis, Lady of All Sorrows, goes down as the first cosmic abstract casualty. Also, Machine Man!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Also, M-11!

Fixed that for you.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Thanos preview looks pretty epic, and I like how they've made it clear this is not merely a physical war but a conflcit between different universes.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Didn't Silver Surfer kill Aegis and Tenebrous in the Crunch at the end of Annihilation? Did I already ask this question? I'm so confused.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ringo wrote: »
    Didn't Silver Surfer kill Aegis and Tenebrous in the Crunch at the end of Annihilation? Did I already ask this question? I'm so confused.

I don't think they were ever really killed, just trapped in the centre of the universe by the Surfer (I doubt anyone could actually permanently kill those guys with no hope of recourse especially by the guy who did the killing). I think DnA said something about Galactus pulling them out of the Crunch to help against the Cancerverse.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Huh. Good enough, I suppose

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG