Options

Spamalot!

jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Spamalot is coming to Alaska next spring, and us theater starved cretins of Alaska are hopefully in for something good. Problem is, tix are about $100.00 a pop. I am a big Holy Grail fan, so I figured it may be worth breaking into a little of the savings for my wife and I to go, but I just wanted to double check some reviews here first.

Any of you gone and seen Spamalot?

For those of you who don't know what Spamalot is, but know of Monty Python's Holy Grail movie (I hear it's kind of a popular thing in this nerdy culture we swim in), here is the wiki.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
0/8

PS2
FF X replay

PS3
God of War 1&2 HD
Rachet and Clank Future
MGS 4
Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
Fable 3

DS
FF: 4 heroes of light
jeddy lee on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really enjoyed it when I went, and I got to see them when there was a screw up, and basically everyone on stage laughed until they couldn't breathe. Also, if you get the chance to see Wicked, you should go.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's really exciting. I'm pumped cause I get to see the King's Singers again in February for 19 bucks!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That's really exciting. I'm pumped cause I get to see the King's Singers again in February for 19 bucks!

That is exciting! I discovered them through a random stack of cd's I bought at salvation army. I didn't think Good Vibrations could have been any better than how the beach boys did it, and yet somehow it was.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've seen Spamalot on Broadway here in NY and in Vegas at the Wynn. In both cases it was hysterical and a ton of fun. Your $100 would be well spent.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I saw this in NY when it first previewed with:

David Hyde-Pierce - Sir Robin
    Tim Curry - Arthur
    Hank Azaria - Lancelot
    John Cleese - Voice of God

It was so awesome

Medopine on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I saw it over the summer and while it was definately a good time I regret not walking up and down the aisle yelling "ALBATROSS!" at the top of my voice.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Tim Curry - Arthur
    Hank Azaria - Lancelot

It was so awesome
    I saw it right after David Hyde-Pierce left, but the rest were still on.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »

That is exciting! I discovered them through a random stack of cd's I bought at salvation army. I didn't think Good Vibrations could have been any better than how the beach boys did it, and yet somehow it was.

Yeah, my college and the one in the next town over have a Performing Arts series they partner on. Apparently they've established a reputation in the music community for good taste. We've had King's Singers at least once before, the Moscow Orchestra, Duke Ellington Orchestra, Soweto Gospel Choir. I forget if it was King's Singers last time they came, Scholars of London (also a pretty kickin' British similar to King's Singers. I think with more of a classical bent) or Chanticleer, but they told a story about how they were asked to sing and they were like "Hesston? Sure! Those folk in Hesston know what music is." I dunno, whatever it takes to get awesome musicians into Bumblefuck Kansas.

Have you heard King's Singers do Blackbird and MLK? It's so good.

Topical!: I wanna see Spamalot, but like I said, BFE Kansas, so generally the closest anything gets is Chicago or maybe Kansas City. Cirque du Soleil has hit Wichita the last couple years so me and the wife make sure to catch it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I saw it on a school-sponsored trip, and it's totally worth it. Especially if having a show this big where you are in a rare event, I would definitely suggest going.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    MandaManda Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I actually saw it and wasn't blown away, though that was mostly due to the ending. On the other hand, my mom (who loves theater and has never seen Holy Grail) thought it was hilarious.

Manda on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Excellent. Thanks for your responses. I should check who is on the lineup for this. I will promptly spend my money!

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    My friend is a producer of the show so I was lucky to get cheap tickets. Here are my thoughts.

1. Very high production
    2. Not very much like the Monty Python film. Felt more along the lines of Shrek.

My favorite kind of show is Hedwig and The Angry Inch so that tells you where my tastes are.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm... The US tour cast from the website shows no one I know. Broadway lists Clay Aiken as sir Robin which is funny.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Tim Curry - Arthur
    Hank Azaria - Lancelot

It was so awesome

same here. I thought it was excellent.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm... The US tour cast from the website shows no one I know. Broadway lists Clay Aiken as sir Robin which is funny.
    heheh

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It would be funnier if he were Lancelot.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

No offense but the show is going to Alaska. The stars generally don't make it to Boston. I saw it with this cast
    The spirit might be even jauntier here than when it opened on Broadway. Michael Siberry actually acts as King Arthur, unlike Curry, who more or less phoned it in. Rick Holmes is a striking substitute for Azaria as Lancelot and a host of nemeses, including the French Taunter. Bradley Dean, Jeff Dumas, and Tom Deckman are terrific in several parts and Pia Glenn is ravishing as the Lady of the Lake, if not the drop-dead knockout that Sara Ramirez was.

I enjoyed it, was a good laugh. Funny coincidence for those who have seen it, during the performance we saw:
    the volunteer from the audience happened to have the last name of King

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My wife and I went to this here in Columbus awhile back for my birthday. It was very enjoyable. Well worth 100 a ticket. Ours were not that much, but I would have felt I got my money's worth even if they were that price.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Go see it. It's worth every single penny.

I saw this with my family last year, and we absolutely loved it. Even my father enjoyed it, and he fully admits that his brain isn't wired to enjoy these things.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2008

Tim Curry - Arthur
    Hank Azaria - Lancelot

It was so awesome

We went over to New York at Christmas and caught it with this cast. My missus has a ridiculous crush on David Hyde Pierce and laughed until she almost gave herself a hernia during You Won't Succeed On Broadway. The Lady of the Lake was also fuckawesome. Best Bassey impersonation ever.

Bogart on