As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Music thread wherein we talk about bands from the ill-defined [Indie] genre

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I get down with them on the occasion, but their propensity for Engrish vocals gets on my nerves.
    This is also why I don't listen to Flower Travellin' Band as much as I might otherwise like to.

But Kiseikuchan Nite finds its way onto a lot of mixes and their instrumentals are dope as all hell. Great fusion of krautrock and Celtic themes.

metaghost on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I used to have that problem, but I listen to so much music from non English speaking countries that I've just learned to love it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

I think that it is the vocals that do me in. It just sounds too much like the chicken lady.

what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_IXZ0Bksg

possibly nsfw

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    I used to have that problem, but I listen to so much music from non English speaking countries that I've just learned to love it.

But see, foreign languages are not the issue. I love me some romance languages (Portuguese especially) and I listen to a good deal of Japanese music as I used to live there. And the variant forms of immigrant English aren't wholly unappealing either (Fela Kuti as a great example). But Japanese Engrish is so frequently accompanied by lisps and half-expressed cliche sentiment that it really makes me cringe.

metaghost on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Thank Jeebus that Boris keeps it all in Japanese.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    metaghost wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

But see, foreign languages are not the issue. I love me some romance languages (Portuguese especially) and I listen to a good deal of Japanese music as I used to live there. And the variant forms of immigrant English aren't wholly unappealing either (Fela Kuti as a great example). But Japanese Engrish is so frequently accompanied by lisps and half-expressed cliche sentiment that it really makes me cringe.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I love Shonen Knife. I can only take it in doses, but I find it a little disarming and quite charming.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

I think that it is the vocals that do me in. It just sounds too much like the chicken lady.

what?

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_IXZ0Bksg]snip[/vidurl]

possibly nsfw

I know what you were referring to, I just can't understand why

does everyone who sings in occasional falsetto remind you of shitty sketch comedy?

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm digging The Most Serene Republic: The men who live upstairs. How is the rest of their stuff?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I still like Underwater Cinematographer more, and Phages is very much like a transition from that to The Men Who Live Upstairs. They're a wonderful little band.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm digging The Most Serene Republic: The men who live upstairs. How is the rest of their stuff?

Listen to Proposition '65. A perfect example of the amazing sound from their first album.
    On Phages you should take a listen to the track the album is named after, Phages.
    And, yea, Men Who Live Upstairs, is the best song off the album Population. Sherry & her butterflynet is a close second.

You can really see an evolution in this band and I can't wait for a new album this year.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

what?

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_IXZ0Bksg]snip[/vidurl]

possibly nsfw

I know what you were referring to, I just can't understand why

does everyone who sings in occasional falsetto remind you of shitty sketch comedy?

When it is really super affected, yes it does.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/148001-the-50-best-albums-of-2008
    50. Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual
    49. Crystal Stilts - Alight of Night
    48. High Places - High Places
    47. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
    46. Beach House - Devotion
    45. Lykke Li - Youth Novels
    44. Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It
    43. Shearwater - Rook
    42. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Lie Down in the Light
    41. David Byrne and Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
    40. The Very Best - Esau Mwamwaya & Radioclit are the Very Best
    39. Times New Viking - Rip It Off
    38. The Bug - London Zoo
    37. Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
    36. Wale - The Mixtape About Nothing
    35. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
    34. Arthur Russell - Love Is Overtaking Me
    33. Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
    32. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
    31. Fennesz - Black Sea
    30. Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster...
    29. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
    28. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
    27. Max Tundra - Parallax Error Beheads You
    26. Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
    25. Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances
    24. Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
    23. Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
    22. Santogold - Santogold
    21. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
    20. Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
    19. The Walkmen - You & Me
    18. The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
    17. Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
    16. Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls
    15. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
    14. Air France - No Way Down
    13. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
    12. Lindstrøm - Where You Go I Go Too
    11. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
    10. DJ/rupture - Uproot
    9. Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
    8. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
    7. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    6. TV on the Radio - Dear Science
    5. Deerhunter - Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
    4. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
    3. No Age - Nouns
    2. Portishead - Third
    1. Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP/Fleet Foxes

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got the Arkells' album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFrTZe-wQPI

Good band out of Hamilton On

Alpine on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Crystal Castles in front of Girl Talk?

family-guy-i-disagree-1.jpg

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love how quickly the other thread has devolved into

"what [shitty album] didn't make the list? this list sucks. of course, i have not listened or heard half of these, but there's no way they could be better than [shitty album]."

Well, guess what? I listened to [shitty album]. It is shit. Listen to some of this music before you call it garbage.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

"what [shitty album] didn't make the list? this list sucks. of course, i have not listened or heard half of these, but there's no way they could be better than [shitty album]."

Well, guess what? I listened to [shitty album]. It is shit. Listen to some of this music before you call it garbage.

Where is that?

Anyways, Fleet Foxes for first? What? I'm missing something so hard here, because that album is alright. But that's it: it's alright. >_<

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Page- wrote: »

Where is that?

Anyways, Fleet Foxes for first? What? I'm missing something so hard here, because that album is alright. But that's it: it's alright. >_<

It is directly above this thread until I post...right...about...now.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Guess I'll lay down my list, in no real order:

Crystal Castles - s/t
    Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers
    Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow & Blue
    Why? - Alopecia
    M83 - Saturday=Youth
    Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
    Vancougar - Canadian Tuxedo
    Foals - Antidotes
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    *Land of Talk - Some are Lakes

Honourable mentions go to: The Breeders, Hexes and Ohs, Beech House, CSS, Lykki Li, and Neon Neon.

Honestly, I thought I had more, but it turns out I'm still listening to a lot of stuff that came out at the tail end of '07.

*I'm putting that in there because I just got it, and I'm starting to really like it; I can see it becoming a favourite in a couple of weeks.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    for me it'd be

sigur ros - med sud i eyrum
    why? - alopecia
    moving mountains - foreword
    girl talk - feed the animals
    tmv - bedlam

I completely forgot Alopecia even came out this year.

Snork on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My list... no order

Deerhunter - Microcastle
    Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
    The Dodos - Visiter
    Evangelicals - The Evening Descends
    Why? - Alopecia
    Metronomy - Lights Out
    Son Lux - At War With Walls and Mazes
    Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
    Hot Chip - Made in the Dark

Sounds about right

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'd like some recommendations. Lately (this year really), I haven't been listening to much of anything new at all.

Here is pretty much what I've discovered this year in order of listening:
    Why? - Alopecia
    CunningLynguists - A Piece of Strange, Will Rap for Food - (I skimmed through this thread one day and found this, thank god. I don't listen to much rap/hip-hop so I would particularly like to expand my tastes here.)
    Air France - No Way Down
    HEALTH//DISCO - self-titled
    British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
    A Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for 13 Moons
    cLOUDDEAD - self-titled

Pretty much been listening to those first two artists on repeat. I'm interested in most music genres, except country and metal (there are exceptions though). So any indie rock, rap, or electronic stuff is what I think I could go for right now. Jazz/classical is good as well, but I don't have much patience for any post-rock these days.

Bonus: If anyone here is Russian, I'd like to get some recommendations on new Russian music as well. As my collection of Russian music is pretty much confined to bi2, kino, and some spleen.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Almost forgot about British Sea Power. Their last album was pretty good. If you liked it you should really check out the new Oasis, which is their best in years.

I don't listen to much rap, but you could try Shad, you may like him. No bling, kind of laid back, good sense of humour. Don't expect million dollar production, though.

Now that all the year end lists are out you should start checking out the more frequently occurring names; it's not the best method, but you should be able to find some good stuff that way.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm honestly not very familiar with most of those artists, but if you want some interesting hip-hop, I would highly recommend listening to some Zion I. It's somewhat old school in presentation but still really great. Hieroglyphics and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien are two other really good and non-bling-and-bitches hip-hop artists that are worth checking out.

Like I said, I don't know most of those artists so I can't make specific recommendations, but in terms of what I thought was good in terms of rock/electronic in the past year or so:

Daft Punk: Alive 2007
    Mates of State: Re-Arrange Us
    Flogging Molly: Float
    Vampire Weekend: Self-Titled
    Portishead: Third
    Radiohead: In Rainbows
    Air: Pocket Symphony
    The Hives: The Black & White Album
    The Brothers Martin: Self-Titled

But yeah, looking at frequently mentioned albums is a good idea, as would be looking in in this thread to see everyone's favorite albums of the last year.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck yeah, Shad is the shit, best canadian hip hop artist since like, Paul Anka

And I'm totally digging both Los Campesinos! albums, they're fantastic and discovering them right as I was getting back into the Subways' albums was perfect timing

Alpine on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    Guess I'll lay down my list, in no real order:

Crystal Castles - s/t
    Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers
    Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow & Blue
    Why? - Alopecia
    M83 - Saturday=Youth
    Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
    Vancougar - Canadian Tuxedo
    Foals - Antidotes
    *Land of Talk - Some are Lakes

Honourable mentions go to: The Breeders, Hexes and Ohs, Beech House, CSS, Lykki Li, and Neon Neon.

Honestly, I thought I had more, but it turns out I'm still listening to a lot of stuff that came out at the tail end of '07.

*I'm putting that in there because I just got it, and I'm starting to really like it; I can see it becoming a favourite in a couple of weeks.

hi5 on land of talk. I went to see broken social scene back in november, and they opened for them, as well as the lead singer for Land doing vocals for some BSS (she did a good 17 year old girl)

I bought their vinyl LP there, and wish i hadn't been an idiot and also got a promo thing they were selling that i havent seen anywhere else.

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Streltsy wrote: »
    So, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'd like some recommendations. Lately (this year really), I haven't been listening to much of anything new at all.

Here is pretty much what I've discovered this year in order of listening:
    Why? - Alopecia
    CunningLynguists - A Piece of Strange, Will Rap for Food - (I skimmed through this thread one day and found this, thank god. I don't listen to much rap/hip-hop so I would particularly like to expand my tastes here.)
    Air France - No Way Down
    HEALTH//DISCO - self-titled
    British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
    A Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for 13 Moons
    cLOUDDEAD - self-titled

Pretty much been listening to those first two artists on repeat. I'm interested in most music genres, except country and metal (there are exceptions though). So any indie rock, rap, or electronic stuff is what I think I could go for right now. Jazz/classical is good as well, but I don't have much patience for any post-rock these days.

Bonus: If anyone here is Russian, I'd like to get some recommendations on new Russian music as well. As my collection of Russian music is pretty much confined to bi2, kino, and some spleen.

if you like Why?/cLOUDDEAD, and you aren't already familiar with them, look into Subtle, themselves, and pretty much anyone else on anticon.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Streltsy wrote: »

Dude, Akvarium is like the greatest Russian band ever. Most of their discography is in mp3 form here.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know what I do? I buy a bunch of music, listen to it till I get burn out, and delete/give them away. All of it. Then I repeat the process.

Well now I have a music itch.

Right now I'm digging Joanna Newsom and Kaki King. You guys have any recommendation along those lines?

I find it funny how my taste in music changes a lot. My last music itch had me listening to nothing but rape, while the one before that I was listening to nothing but death metal.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    My last music itch had me listening to nothing but rape, while the one before that I was listening to nothing but death metal.

What an unfortunate typo. Unless there really is a genre called rape.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wouldnt be surprise if it's a subgenre of metal. Rape Metal.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wouldnt be surprise if it's a subgenre of metal. Rape Metal.

Come to think of it, neither would I.

With Newsom there's only 2 albums. Listen to both, but Ys is probably better.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shad is really great, thanks for the recommendation!
    I think I will check out Portishead (long been meaning to from all the hype) and Paul Anka after Shad so I think I'm good.
    Thanks to flamebroiledchicken for the link as well.

The reason I didn't want to go through 'best of' lists first is because a lot of bands feel really pushed to be bigger than they are by sites like pitchfork. So I find I can usually get better quality recommendations from forumers (Why? and Shad vs something like the Fleet Foxes). It's also a hell of a lot more daunting to cross reference and sample top 50 lists, gonna start with cokemachineglow today though.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    God damn the new Animal Collective is good. I was listening to it while strolling around Manhattan, it made me so happy.

It is also the squishiest album ever.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guys, guys. Has anyone else checked our Arcade Fire's Miroir Noir yet? I preordered last night and got the digital copy.

It is amazing.

Honesly, I don't really enjoy concert footage or touring footage or whatever. But they taken footage from backstage, onstage, and just wherever and done amazing things with it. They take some of the messages from the Neon Bible hotline and place them randomly throughout the 70 some odd minutes.

Best $22 I've spent in a very long time.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If only Neon Bible wasn't such a fucking let down of an album after the piece of work that is Funeral.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    God damn the new Animal Collective is good. I was listening to it while strolling around Manhattan, it made me so happy.

okay, seriously, this album is amazing

I usually reserve my joy about what I think are incredible albums until I've given them an absurd amount of listens, but this is just too fucking good

listen to this shit: http://hypem.com/track/715555

not only Animal Collective's poppiest and most accessible album, but probably their best too

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I got it on Christmas Day.

It was the best part of my day; I kept finding excuses to run to another room and put on headphones and listen.

Edit:

Favorite songs? For me it's all about Summertime Clothes.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Daily Routine was my immediate favorite, but I also love Summertime Clothes, Bluish, and My Girls. Really, the only low point of the album for me is Guy's Eyes, but I feel that might grow on me as well. Generally speaking, the album is fantastic from start to finish.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Daily Routine was my immediate favorite, but I also love Summertime Clothes, Bluish, and My Girls. Really, the only low point of the album for me is Guy's Eyes, but I feel that might grow on me as well. Generally speaking, the album is fantastic from start to finish.

I agree. What would you give it out of 10?

Mithrandir86 on