Options

Fable II: Buy the DLC, or the lead designer gets it.

• Options
    Apparition8Apparition8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Fyrewulff

Apparition8 on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whee! I just picked this up for my brand new 360. I love it so far, though I'm a bit concerned about all the talk of game-breaking glitches. Can anybody point me to a concise list of things I can do to avoid the worst ones? (Apologies if it's in the thread somewhere, long thread is long and full of dangerous spoiler clickies.)

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why the hell has my bartender job disappeared, I want it back and i'm getting really over woodcutting and I wanna buy houses and whinge whinge whinge.

Awesome game by the way.

Coreo on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Coreo wrote: »
    Why the hell has my bartender job disappeared, I want it back and i'm getting really over woodcutting and I wanna buy houses and whinge whinge whinge.

Awesome game by the way.

After bartending, I bought the bar. After adventuring a bit, I used the money I was getting from the bar and assorted other properties to buy the blacksmith. Now, I'm pulling in just over a grand every 5 min, and it will only increase...

Really, a bit of investing in this game goes a looooooong way.

Houn on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    At the moment i've only invested in cheap places that have been worth 4000 gold each, so now i'm trying to save up the big bucks and buy the bar and others.

It's weird but I feel more satisfied with this than actually questing.

Coreo on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Yeah, until you have to bail-out the gifts-trader and blacksmith industry. Then all hell breaks loose and you're selling off chunks of land to Samarkand to finance your potions habit.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    deowolf wrote: »

Yeah, until you have to bail-out the gifts-trader and blacksmith industry. Then all hell breaks loose and you're selling off chunks of land to Samarkand to finance your potions habit.

I approve of this post. :^:

Houn on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Screamline wrote: »
    Finished this a week ago but just came back to it to play again as an scary evil character. Had to tone down the scary since it's very hard to get people to follow you
    to the sacrificial pit in the temple of shadows
    when they're fleeing in abject terror.

About the ending:
    I actually goofed this up. I did the whole music box thing, then sat back as Lucien's monologue got started, where you hold the gun on him. Well, I did something--I don't know what--to put the gun away which irked me so I tapped Y to pull it back out...and wound up blowing his nose through the back of his face.

Whoops. Oh well, I guess we can all go home now, right?

You didn't goof it up. You are actually allowed to do that. Or else..
    Reaver will shoot him

Haha I know that now, but at the time, it felt like I had goofed.

"Was that bad? Should I not have done that?"

Screamline on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    deowolf wrote: »

I approve of this post. :^:

I aim to please with my cutting, Fable II based economic satire.

deowolf on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Coreo wrote: »

Awesome game by the way.

After bartending, I bought the bar. After adventuring a bit, I used the money I was getting from the bar and assorted other properties to buy the blacksmith. Now, I'm pulling in just over a grand every 5 min, and it will only increase...

Just be careful where you're setting the rents.

My 100% corrupt character was pulling in 8k pretty early in the game with +100% rent everywhere, but it tanked the economies everywhere she had property.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Got this for Xmas, been tooling around on it for a few days.

Someone somewhere said "it's Fable with a dog" and they were spot on. I'm having the same love/hate relationship as I did with the first one, which I ended up playing through twice despite my better judgement.

Even though it's packed with little annoyances, it's still really fun to run around in your pants and sling fire at everyone.

One question for you all: were the voices insanely loud for you when you started playing? I know you can turn them down in the options menu, but even with that fixed the audio seems like it's all over the place.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whee! I just picked this up for my brand new 360. I love it so far, though I'm a bit concerned about all the talk of game-breaking glitches. Can anybody point me to a concise list of things I can do to avoid the worst ones? (Apologies if it's in the thread somewhere, long thread is long and full of dangerous spoiler clickies.)

When you marry someone, don't give them another ring as a gift. Weird things happen, your spouse disappears forever and you can't unset the marital home as a renting home.
    There's a point in the game where you won't be able to sleep. Don't be alarmed, just finish the quest and things should return back to normal.
    Avoid quitting long quests midway (stuff like Treasure Island of Doom or story quests). You'll be sent to a point even further behind than the one you were before you started the quest.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I need to turn in my Treasure Island of Doom quest to Pirate Jack, or Salty Jack. But I can't find him anywhere, and the golden trail is nowhere to be found. He's not in the inn, anyone know where I can find him?

Rubick on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I’ve heard about the ominous-sounding Crucible Bug. As I have just reached the Crucible with Hammer, I’m wondering if there’s anything I should avoid doing.

Also, I got married in Oakfield, and then left town for a few days to adventure. When I got back, my wife angrily divorced me. I’m a bit confused; while it’s true that I didn’t update the mediocre furnishings or give her any gifts beyond the ring, I did set her upkeep to five times her desired level. What can I do to avoid the scourge of divorce in the future? Also, can I set Serenity Farm as a marital home?

In the meantime, I’ve been burned and I’m afraid to love again, so I’m just engaging in meaningless casual sex with anyone who’s willing. Abloo bloo bloo.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    Rubick wrote: »
    I need to turn in my Treasure Island of Doom quest to Pirate Jack, or Salty Jack. But I can't find him anywhere, and the golden trail is nowhere to be found. He's not in the inn, anyone know where I can find him?

I think that's a known bug. Sorry buddy.

Tube on
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dammit Tube. I can't believe you didn't get that fixed yet.

Rubick on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I’ve heard about the ominous-sounding Crucible Bug. As I have just reached the Crucible with Hammer, I’m wondering if there’s anything I should avoid doing.

Also, I got married in Oakfield, and then left town for a few days to adventure. When I got back, my wife angrily divorced me. I’m a bit confused; while it’s true that I didn’t update the mediocre furnishings or give her any gifts beyond the ring, I did set her upkeep to five times her desired level. What can I do to avoid the scourge of divorce in the future? Also, can I set Serenity Farm as a marital home?

In the meantime, I’ve been burned and I’m afraid to love again, so I’m just engaging in meaningless casual sex with anyone who’s willing. Abloo bloo bloo.

And that's why my character quickly ends up sacrificing his women to the shadows.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Am I supposed to have red glowing eyes as a PURE GOOD character? It seems to have happened after I
    Aged in the Hero of Skill quest

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Am I supposed to have red glowing eyes as a PURE GOOD character? It seems to have happened after I
    Aged in the Hero of Skill quest

Yes. It says it ages you, but apparently age gives you red, glowing eyes.
    They go away when you beat the main quest.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    JPatrickJPatrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My guy has quite the dashing set of horns goin' on.

Will doing the Shadows quest to rape oakfield do anything drastic to my game?
    I know Ill get mega-evil points for it, but hate to lose the vendors & such there.

JPatrick on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JPatrick wrote: »
    My guy has quite the dashing set of horns goin' on.

Will doing the Shadows quest to rape oakfield do anything drastic to my game?
    I know Ill get mega-evil points for it, but hate to lose the vendors & such there.
    I know that if you skip both quests the temple's gone but everything else is pretty much the same. I haven't tried the evil side of that quest cycle though.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So when be this DLC shit hitting? I'm itching for some fable ii action.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    thefaisthefais Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One question for you all: were the voices insanely loud for you when you started playing? I know you can turn them down in the options menu, but even with that fixed the audio seems like it's all over the place.

The game defaults to 5.1 surround. Depending on your setup, that could be the problem.

Got the game for christmas! Love it. Lots. There are still issues I have, but I loved the ending.
    I hate final boss battles, so being able to shoot this mortal, non-superpowered (albeit evil) dude with your gun was very satisfying!

thefais on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you want to make money and keep it, don't get married. I somehow wooed a girl, married her, had a baby and bought a marital home. I don't remember any of it. Must have been some night.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    If you want to make money and keep it, don't get married. I somehow wooed a girl, married her, had a baby and bought a marital home. I don't remember any of it. Must have been some night.

H&A :arrow:

deowolf on
  • Options
    sims796sims796 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    thefais wrote: »
    Got the game for christmas! Love it. Lots. There are still issues I have, but I loved the ending.
    I hate final boss battles, so being able to shoot this mortal, non-superpowered (albeit evil) dude with your gun was very satisfying!

I disagree with the ending, I hated it.
    Simply because he was mortal, and one shot ended him. We had to go all over Abion. We had to recruit three mystical heroes just to have a shot at beating him. We (as the hero) gained so much power, learning spell after spell, getting stronger, etc. We wasted TEN $%&!ING YEARS OF OUR LIVES in that Spire, taking all kinds of abuse. Speaking of Spire, the man literally shit on each Legendary hero. He had the power to recruit & condem thousands of people to their deaths. He even wound up absorbing the power of the heroes, presumably becoming a GOD. He even shots your dog.

And all it takes to kill him is one shot. One little shot. WTF. I've wasted ALL THIS TIME, and ONE HIT ends him? What a huge letdown. I've been shot so many times in this game. Stabbed, burned, whatever. And one tiny love tap ends him? Yeah, it was funny, but still. I expected him to rise back up or something, but no. If I had known that bullets were his weakness, I would have done so years ago. He had the power to commit such HUGE evils, and one hit ends him. That had better been the Golden Gun from 007.
    It seems that most people here who liked the ending are praising Lionheart for doing something different. Bullcrap. Just because they are being different doesn't mean they automatically done something right. Different doesn't magically = better. That ending was corney from a gameplay perspective, AND story wise. I don't care if you quote the OP's opinion. Each boss battle in games are epic in their own way. Sephiroth was a god, while Ganondorf is intense in their own way. Just because almost evr'y game has a boss, doesn't mean there isn't a million unique ways to go about making it a special experiece. If you liked the ending, hey thats you, but don't go about saying it's because its trying to be different, because that ending was lazy.

Also, on the story
    I didn't care too much on it. It seemed too rushed. Right after you get the last hero, thats it. No storming the Spire (which was the best part, the Will hero, IMO), no 'real' fights, only a glorified "boss battle" with a rock. That's it. Even though the other mini-quest were the main focus, those were pretty bland. Nothing much to it. That was dissapointing.

My last gripe is how one dimensional your character is. It could have been easily solved by MOAR CUTSCENE PROMPTS.
    Like when Hamma's pop died, you could either show sympany, or laugh.'At least showing some remorse. Same with Barnum. You can try to apologize, or laugh at his picture plan failure. So wht can I not do something like that with Reval? He killed Barnum, the lovable oaf, and you stand there with that same dumb look. He agifies you then backstabs you, you don't even look pissed. Freakin silent heroes.

Still, I liked the game, despite it's flaws, just because its a blast to play. I do wish I bought Fallout instead, though...

sims796 on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    sims796 wrote: »
    It seems that most people here who liked the ending are praising Lionheart for doing something different. Bullcrap. Just because they are being different doesn't mean they automatically done something right. Different doesn't magically = better. That ending was corney from a gameplay perspective, AND story wise. I don't care if you quote the OP's opinion. Each boss battle in games are epic in their own way. Sephiroth was a god, while Ganondorf is intense in their own way. Just because almost evr'y game has a boss, doesn't mean there isn't a million unique ways to go about making it a special experiece. If you liked the ending, hey thats you, but don't go about saying it's because its trying to be different, because that ending was lazy.

you didn't get it

Tube on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, let's namedrop Final Fantasy and Zelda.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Simply because he was mortal, and one shot ended him. We had to go all over Abion. We had to recruit three mystical heroes just to have a shot at beating him. We (as the hero) gained so much power, learning spell after spell, getting stronger, etc. We wasted TEN $%&!ING YEARS OF OUR LIVES in that Spire, taking all kinds of abuse. Speaking of Spire, the man literally shit on each Legendary hero. He had the power to recruit & condem thousands of people to their deaths. He even wound up absorbing the power of the heroes, presumably becoming a GOD. He even shots your dog.

And all it takes to kill him is one shot. One little shot. WTF. I've wasted ALL THIS TIME, and ONE HIT ends him? What a huge letdown. I've been shot so many times in this game. Stabbed, burned, whatever. And one tiny love tap ends him? Yeah, it was funny, but still. I expected him to rise back up or something, but no. If I had known that bullets were his weakness, I would have done so years ago. He had the power to commit such HUGE evils, and one hit ends him. That had better been the Golden Gun from 007.

The ending to Fable 2 isn't all that original, actually. Offhand I recall that it was done in the first Gungrave (loved that game)...
    After defeating the "dragon" (the uber-spire thing in Fable 2, the boss in Gungrave), you get to the last guy. The game ends when you shoot him, and you sit there until you do on that one scene. In both cases, doing this is equally epic, because it fit the theme and flow of the game.

Also, it was the music box that gave you the ability to kill him. He could handwave you to sleep before.

Also, on the story
    I didn't care too much on it. It seemed too rushed. Right after you get the last hero, thats it. No storming the Spire (which was the best part, the Will hero, IMO), no 'real' fights, only a glorified "boss battle" with a rock. That's it. Even though the other mini-quest were the main focus, those were pretty bland. Nothing much to it. That was dissapointing.
    Storming the spire after you went there earlier would have been a waste of time, and wouldn't have fit the game's story and flow.
    My last gripe is how one dimensional your character is. It could have been easily solved by MOAR CUTSCENE PROMPTS.
    Like when Hamma's pop died, you could either show sympany, or laugh.'At least showing some remorse. Same with Barnum. You can try to apologize, or laugh at his picture plan failure. So wht can I not do something like that with Reval? He killed Barnum, the lovable oaf, and you stand there with that same dumb look. He agifies you then backstabs you, you don't even look pissed. Freakin silent heroes.

Still, I liked the game, despite it's flaws, just because its a blast to play. I do wish I bought Fallout instead, though...

If it would have made you feel better, you could have manually emoted those feelings? :P

edit: fixed quotes.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rubick wrote: »

I think that's a known bug. Sorry buddy.
    Actually I had the same problem. The glowing trail led me to the bar but Salty Jack was nowhere to be found. Go back to the cave where you found the boat. He should be outside the cave.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The ending to Fable 2 isn't all that original, actually. Offhand I recall that it was done in the first Gungrave (loved that game)...
    Tell that to everfone claiming the game's ending to be unique.
    After defeating the "dragon" (the uber-spire thing in Fable 2, the boss in Gungrave), you get to the last guy. The game ends when you shoot him, and you sit there until you do on that one scene. In both cases, doing this is equally epic, because it fit the theme and flow of the game.

Also, it was the music box that gave you the ability to kill him. He could handwave you to sleep before.
    How does it fit into the "flow"? If anything, it proves my point. He had the power to send such a powerful ambush at you, yet yeilds to the kryptonite bullet-all in a matter of minutes. It does a poor job of sucking you in, and leaves you flat. I can't speak of Gungrave, never played, but it does not fit with this story. Especially since it is so short.
    Also, on the story
    Storming the spire after you went there earlier would have been a waste of time, and wouldn't have fit the game's story and flow.
    It was just a wild example of what could have gone on, to extend the gameplay. Besides, how would said example "ruin the flow"? Abruptly cutting the game short makes it better? Seems you've missed me point. The story was bland. Speaking of flow, it was inconsistent. The story builds Lucien up to be thhs vile emotionally unstable villian who must be stopped at all costs, since he is THAT bad ass, he punches butlers & shoots dogs. Yet for all that buildup, it ends in on second. Boo.

If it would have made you feel better, you could have manually emoted those feelings? :P

edit: fixed quotes.
    Sarcasm? Doesn't change the fact that the main character is one dimensional.

It may seem like I'm complaining, but I am merely speaking about the obvious flaws. The game is not perfect, not even close, and these may be a few reasons why. Rather than being a fanboy who swears the game is flawless (not that I am accusing anyone of being it).

@Cardboard Tube: What's to get? Is there something special that I'm missing? If you liked the ending, for each their own, but don't try that it's "being unique" reasoning..

@darleysam: So I've used Final Fantasy & Zelda. Your point? Those were just two prime examples of games that does what you are accusing it of, have a "Super boss battle", yet offer different experiences. Is that a crime?

PS:Excuse my poor quoting skills. I agree with all that Qonas said on pg 77, which I will not quote, for fear of being infracted.

EDIT:Added MOAR stuff.

sims796 on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You guys are making me itch to play this again, but I want to wait on the dlc.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I hope the DLC adds more to it. After beating the short game, there wasn't much reason to go back, rather to beat it again.

sims796 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't played this in so long that my guy will be the Bill Gates of Albion when I get around to logging back in. Bowerstone Palace and my army of hooker wives, here I come :winky:.

Peen on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So my wife started playing this 2 days ago. She's pretty much been playing it nonstop. So as of right now, she's probably put 20 hours into it.

I know she got some giant woman of strength thingy finished sometime late yesterday.

How much longer can I expect to not have the TV?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For the rest of your days. DLC on the 13th!

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is a good game, despite its flaws.

sims796 on
  • Options
    SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    So my wife started playing this 2 days ago. She's pretty much been playing it nonstop. So as of right now, she's probably put 20 hours into it.

I know she got some giant woman of strength thingy finished sometime late yesterday.

How much longer can I expect to not have the TV?

If it took her 20 hours to get to that point, then she's doing some serious dicking around and you should probably just go buy another TV.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How does it fit into the "flow"? If anything, it proves my point. He had the power to send such a powerful ambush at you, yet yeilds to the kryptonite bullet-all in a matter of minutes. It does a poor job of sucking you in, and leaves you flat. I can't speak of Gungrave, never played, but it does not fit with this story. Especially since it is so short.
    It was just a wild example of what could have gone on, to extend the gameplay. Besides, how would said example "ruin the flow"? Abruptly cutting the game short makes it better? Seems you've missed me point. The story was bland.

Sarcasm? Doesn't change the fact that your character is one dimensional.

STOP BREAKING TEH QUOTES. But really, here's my reply:

RE: The ending, the last section and why it worked.
    The key difference between your character and Lucien is that you are of Heroic bloodline. While Lucien is/was powerful, he was not of heroic lineage. Notice that Garth, who was of heroic lineage, had will lines up the ass all over his body. The other characters in the game who were capable of using Will did not either. The Hero of Strength, Hammer, was beefy. Reaver was the exception to this because his characterization wouldn't fit a tall person at all (at least, imo).

Anyhoo, having that bloodline is pretty much makes you an order of magnitude stronger than others. Lucien's power came from the Spire/shards, it wasn't his to begin with. The musicbox severed his tie to the spire making him nothing more than a villager in fancy clothing. That's why you could roll him so easily, or watch as Reaver does it for you. A slightly related example would be how in the Star Wars 'verse Imperial Guards can use the force somewhat. But they are not Jedi/Sith, and get rolled by people who are actually sensitive to the force such as jedi/sith or what have you. Lucien isn't a Hero. He's just a guy with knowledge that allowed him to do Heroic things with the aid of the Spire.

As you pretty much come back to life after being shot in the head by Lucien, I would think you'd be pretty powerful. At the point where he ambushes you and shoots you in the head you also completed the "win-button" ritual. Going through the spire a second time wouldn't have accomplished anything, as at that point there was nothing that Lucien could throw at you that could challenge your character.

Transfering this to gameplay would have been devoting an entire section of play to just steamrolling everything, not fun, considering it just be more of the norm. The alternate would be to have a section where the npcs would still present a challenge to you. This would mess up the flow by defeating the purpose of having that ritual before, since it would mean that you're still not strong enough to conquer Lucien. Having an actual fight with Lucien at that point would entail the same thing. The difference in "power" between you and Lucien was as far apart as left and right. Any content inbetween that would only downplay that fact.

That's why I thought it was epic, the outcome works well within its 'verse. But I guess the story just wasn't your cup of tea. Strokes and folks and all that.

It wasn't sarcasm btw.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
This discussion has been closed.