Options

Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection coming to 360/PS3 for $30 -has Shining & St of Rage

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Which verion of sonic 3 is this. Original music or the newer signifigantly less awesome music

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I picked this up a few days ago. This is so great I'll probably end up playing it more than most current games. Played a couple of my old favorites, then went onto Phantasy Star II. I remembered why back in the day I never got past the first few screens, this game plays really slow and is somewhat difficult. I like IV a lot better because it plays more like most modern turn-based RPGs.

Shining Force, however, I'm a bit addicted to. It's like the granddaddy of FF Tactics, which was like crack to me. Now I know why most PAers like it. :D If only I could have played it back in the day

And Sonic 3 in this collection has the original music, cause it's not the lock-on version. You're referring to the hip hop sounding music that MJ half completed?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If it's Mega Drive/Genesis, it'll be the original music, since the crappier music was part of the PC port which was released after MJ's credibility went out the window (and possibly dangled over the balcony upside-down), IIRC.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Lothars wrote: »
    LBD_Nytetrayn is correct; you need two controllers to unlock Phantasy Star 1.

Seriously?! What fucking bullshit! I hope to God they fix that for EU release or with a patch.

It's not that hard because you just have to have someone play as tails but it wasn't that bad to do, took a few minutes, so who really cares? not a big deal.

Because we don't all own two controllers! It's not that crazy a concept and a bullshit requirement for such a major content unlock.

Especially for a 1 player game.

I don't know about the 360 version, but for the PS3, you can just change your controller number to 2 in the middle of a game and do whatever you need

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, he's talking about the PC port's music? In that case, yeah this is the original version with the original music. If you lock-on Sonic 3 with S&K some of the more upbeat, hip-hop like tracks get replaced.

Has anyone noticed something about the box artwork that shows up in this collection? These are definitely not the original Genesis boxes. They're the European boxes with Genesis logos photoshopped onto them. Check the boxart for Gain Ground, it still has the Mega Drive logo on it. :P

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nah, lock-on has exactly the same music. The only different music is some crappy midi music in the PC version. The Genesis version has the MJ music, regardless of if it's locked on or not. The only music that's replaced in the Sonic 3 segment of the game when locked on is the 'incidental' music as opposed to level music. Invincibility/Super Sonic music is the S&K version, for example (thank god, the S3 version sucked), aand Extra Life tunes etc.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pretty sure that, for example, when you fight the miniboss of Angel Island Zone, the funky music with the "Come on!"s in it is replaced with S&Ks miniboss music.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh yeah, there's that. Like I said, incidental. It's only done like that so it's uniform across the entire game - there's one mid boss theme (The S&K Boss Theme), one Boss Theme (The S3 Act 3 Boss theme) and the final boss theme is the S3 Final Boss Theme. Then the S&K final boss music is used for Doomsday Zone, I think. It wasn't removed for the MJ reason, it was removed so the game didn't strangely switch boss themes after six levels. Same with why they changed the invincibility music, extra live music, super sonic music, etc.

Oh... the Sonic 3 credits is missing too, for obvious reasons.

All the other alleged Jacko music is still in - Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, blah blah.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They should've kept the the S3 miniboss music. It's much better.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They should've kept the the S3 miniboss music. It's much better.

What? No. It's terrible.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You're terrible.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's a cool catchy tune, but it doesn't really fit too well as Boss Music. I always felt it was a strange choice. Felt more like special stage music.
    Bwahahaha! I reserved a PS3 copy. No one is gonna lock me out of this game this time!

I wonder what that says about the player bases for the respective systems, when a store sells out of one console's game, but not the others? 360 fans couldn't give two shits about Sonic and SEGA to snap up the copies because they're too busy with their Halos, GoWs and L4Ds? Or maybe the stores just don't expect to sell out of the PS3 copies so they overstocked on the 360s? Oh, to be a manager of a game store just to know this kind of info...

It says that Sega (and most other companies, in fact) Ship more copies for the 360 than PS3.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In some cases I really like the graphics smoothing option. Space Harrier looks FANTASTIC with it flipped on.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I figger this is appropriate for this thread:

046.gif

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tails inspected a lot of things with his face

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So WTF, I'm playing Sonic 3 and all of a sudden Tails is just gone. I can't defeat the Act 2 boss without him.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a cool catchy tune, but it doesn't really fit too well as Boss Music. I always felt it was a strange choice. Felt more like special stage music.
    Considering that Knuckles has always been given hip-hop theme songs in major games since then, I always figured it was supposed to be Knuckles' theme in Sonic 3, but then it was stripped down to just the backbeat because he's never on-screen long enough for more than a few seconds.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I figger this is appropriate for this thread:

http://theslackerz.com/Comics/046.gif
    awesome_med.png

God, I hated having Tails run around behind me so much. I don't think he actually lost rings in Sonic 2 though. Still felt stupid.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So WTF, I'm playing Sonic 3 and all of a sudden Tails is just gone. I can't defeat the Act 2 boss without him.

Wouldn't happen to be Launch Base, would it? Cos he does that.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Wouldn't happen to be Launch Base, would it? Cos he does that.

It was Marble Garden actually, I had to let the timer run out to die and get him to show up so I could finish the boss.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, I'm convinced that this is seriously the best gaming deal since The Orange Box. Seeing as I was an SNES kid, this is introducing me to games that are really fun, and I still have a lot more to play. But I've already discovered and love Shinobi Arcade, Comix Zone, Fatal Labyrinth, Flicky, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Dynamite Headdy.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't believe that list of unlockables. Wow. I'm so glad this game came out, and that I have it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The PS3 control switching trick does not seem to work. It pauses the game when you switch inputs.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, I'm convinced that this is seriously the best gaming deal since The Orange Box. Seeing as I was an SNES kid, this is introducing me to games that are really fun, and I still have a lot more to play. But I've already discovered and love Shinobi Arcade, Comix Zone, Fatal Labyrinth, Flicky, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Dynamite Headdy.

The only way it could be better (for me, anyway) would be the inclusion of Gunstar Heroes.

Seriously, why isn't it in this collection? Is there some bullshit legal reason?
    That's the only logical reason I can come up with. Logic and Sega don't exactly go hand in hand though....

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Diarmuid wrote: »

The only way it could be better (for me, anyway) would be the inclusion of Gunstar Heroes.

Seriously, why isn't it in this collection? Is there some bullshit legal reason?
    That's the only logical reason I can come up with. Logic and Sega don't exactly go hand in hand though....

It is rumoured to be coming to XBLA with a set of other classics;

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/13/rumor-sega-vintage-collection-coming-to-xbla/

But yeah, would be awesome for it to come in this collection. Especially since some of those other rumoured "vintage" games are featured in the Ultimate Collection.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hows the custom music options in the game for XBOX users? I know the Vintage games (at least sonic 2 anyway) was a bit crap (everything got drowned out as apposed to the BGM) so I want to check.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Damn, I forgot how much I suck at Columns. This game is the bestest collection ever.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lightor216 wrote: »
    The PS3 control switching trick does not seem to work. It pauses the game when you switch inputs.

Nope, but I can confirm that if you do have a guitar controller, you can easily just turn that on to act as controller 2.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Conan-san wrote: »
    Hows the custom music options in the game for XBOX users? I know the Vintage games (at least sonic 2 anyway) was a bit crap (everything got drowned out as apposed to the BGM) so I want to check.

Are you talking about the downloadable XBLA Sonic 2?

I haven't tried custom music on my own system yet, but I was watching a friend play Ultimate Genesis Collection (on PS3), and he selected custom soundtrack for Sonic 1 and it completely drowned out everything instead of just the BGM. Made me kinda sad.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    That's a limitation of the emulation. The reason it can cut out the BGM on actual 360 games is because they know custom soundtracks exist. Basically,

if (player not playing music) play_our_music();
    if (player playing music) cut_out_our_music();

Just playing SFX would require the game to already have music and sfx volume controls in the original game that they could manipulate, and from what I remembe none of the Genesis Sonic games have that.
    Halo 3 goes a step further and mutes all in-game dialog too. I think that was Marty's revenge on the feature.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Why go through the lengths on Halo 3 to do that? I mean, there's a loophole that doesn't allow custom music to be playing during music games (for obvious reasons), you'd think that a developer who feels their soundtrack is integral to the experience would use the same loophole.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    The official reason was that they couldn't allow voices to occur during custom soundtracks because "it couldn't fit into the sound mixing".

But Marty O'Donnel had been pretty vocal before about not liking custom soundtracks being forced on developers

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am sad. A copy of the PS3 version came into our store. And so I proceded to put it aside for myself to be purchased. Then I saw that it was more expensive than the 360 version (only $5 more but that would put me over my gaming budget for the month). I may have to wait for the Goozex line to cut down for this.

On a bit of a side note but does anyone who actually have the PS3 version and has Phantasy Star unlocked (lol I don't have multiple controllers), would they be able to post a save (ideally with just that game unlocked) for me? Is that even a possible work around? I figure I'd just throw it on a USB key when I get the game and transfer it to my PS3.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am sad. A copy of the PS3 version came into our store. And so I proceded to put it aside for myself to be purchased. Then I saw that it was more expensive than the 360 version (only $5 more but that would put me over my gaming budget for the month). I may have to wait for the Goozex line to cut down for this.

On a bit of a side note but does anyone who actually have the PS3 version and has Phantasy Star unlocked (lol I don't have multiple controllers), would they be able to post a save (ideally with just that game unlocked) for me? Is that even a possible work around? I figure I'd just throw it on a USB key when I get the game and transfer it to my PS3.

Sure, if you know a way to post it besides using GameFAQs, I can do that for you.

EDIT: I just went and did it, started a new game on a new profile so all that's been done is the unlocking of Phantasy Star 1. If you show me where I can post it, any PS3 user that doesn't have two controllers can go for this option.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You should be able to just host it at any filesharing site available. just make sure that it's all in the proper directories/folders.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just get liquidlogan's email address and send it via attachment.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.

:whistle: You can always depend on the kindness of strangers
    To pluck up your spirits and shield you from dangers :whistle:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    That's a limitation of the emulation. The reason it can cut out the BGM on actual 360 games is because they know custom soundtracks exist. Basically,

if (player not playing music) play_our_music();
    if (player playing music) cut_out_our_music();

Just playing SFX would require the game to already have music and sfx volume controls in the original game that they could manipulate, and from what I remembe none of the Genesis Sonic games have that.
    Halo 3 goes a step further and mutes all in-game dialog too. I think that was Marty's revenge on the feature.
    Huh...that's strange because I've seen programs that work perfectly fine with emulators that have allowed such debaouchey.

Sounds like I'm better off just geting a PS2 copy of the previous MegaDrive Collection. This one doesn't sound all too good.

I meen, come on, It doesnt' even have the true sonic 3 on it.

Conan-san on