As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection coming to 360/PS3 for $30 -has Shining & St of Rage

• Options
    rumpleslappskinrumpleslappskin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    anyone know if there is a risk of frame drops on the ps3? i want to get it for the 360 but the thought of using that horrid d-pad is convincing me to get it for ps3.

:lol: Though I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other, I'm pretty sure the ps3 will be able to handle genesis games.

if the ps3 didnt have framerate problems on most every ported game then it would not be a concern. but sadly that is not a fact. And since its emulation, its very possible that it could be an issue.

rumpleslappskin on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anyone know if there is a risk of frame drops on the ps3? i want to get it for the 360 but the thought of using that horrid d-pad is convincing me to get it for ps3.

:lol: Though I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other, I'm pretty sure the ps3 will be able to handle genesis games.

if the ps3 didnt have framerate problems on most every ported game then it would not be a concern. but sadly that is not a fact. And since its emulation, its very possible that it could be an issue.

Those days of framerate problems on ported games are pretty much gone, really.

And it was more an issue of laziness than anything, even back then.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys are actually missing one special point about locking on Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

If you're playing as Sonic, and you beat every single special stage, you go to The Doomsday Zone for one more fight with Robotnik, and get the full, complete ending to the game. Mainly, Sonic and Tails return the Master Emerald to the floating island and right before the credits Knuckles runs to the edge of the island and sees off Sonic and Tails in the distance.

The Doomsday Zone is the last level of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and it's impossible to reach it without locking on and playing as Sonic.

That being said, I own two friggin copies of Sonic Mega Collection for different systems, so this isn't a dealbreaker for me. :P

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Those days of framerate problems on ported games are pretty much gone, really.

And it was more an issue of laziness than anything, even back then.

i would like to think the same thing, but from what im hearing from friends, Skate 2 suffers the same thing, so i guess its not gone yet.

rumpleslappskin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've played both versions of Skate 2 and both have framerate problems. It's not game-breaking in either version.

I think the last major game port I heard of with framerate problems was one of the football titles from 08.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've played both versions of Skate 2 and both have framerate problems. It's not game-breaking in either version.

I think the last major game port I heard of with framerate problems was one of the football titles from 08.

ah, didnt realize that it was on both machines. Thats good to hear then. i feel a little better about buying it now.

rumpleslappskin on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

360 does what PlayStashuns.
    D: I'm so sorry

yes but can either system handle Blast Processing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlulSyBI2aY

still the fact that they left off the lock on for S&K really sucks. I seam to recall they even had it for Sonic Jam on the Saturn. there is no real reason to not have it other than being totally lazy.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys are actually missing one special point about locking on Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

If you're playing as Sonic, and you beat every single special stage, you go to The Doomsday Zone for one more fight with Robotnik, and get the full, complete ending to the game. Mainly, Sonic and Tails return the Master Emerald to the floating island and right before the credits Knuckles runs to the edge of the island and sees off Sonic and Tails in the distance.

The Doomsday Zone is the last level of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and it's impossible to reach it without locking on and playing as Sonic.

Or debug stage select, hopefully?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Maybe TSR could officially clear this up, but I've seen the Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles debug level selects, and neither of them seem to have it. They might have pieces of the level locked away, but unless you have them locked on I don't think it's possible to reach even through debug.

Even if you get to it, you have to be Hyper Sonic to actually finish the level, which you can't do if you're just playing Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles. I'm not sure if Super Sonic would cut it though.

Edit: In case anyone hasn't reached it, this is the level I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uNfjhML8Lw

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can reach the last stage in S&K alone. It's a little harder to do but still doable.

It's also in the level select.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's still a fucking dire decision. :(

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Maybe TSR could officially clear this up, but I've seen the Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles debug level selects, and neither of them seem to have it. They might have pieces of the level locked away, but unless you have them locked on I don't think it's possible to reach even through debug.

Even if you get to it, you have to be Hyper Sonic to actually finish the level, which you can't do if you're just playing Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles. I'm not sure if Super Sonic would cut it though.

I don't know why, but I seem to recall that you can get there without Hyper Sonic in S3&K, but it requires not having all 7 emeralds by a certain point... can't remember if it's the start of Mushroom Hill or if it's later though. Whenever it is, it stops you going after the Super Emeralds and means you can grab the rest of the normal ones. With any luck, TSR will show up sooner or later and say, "Blitz, you're an idiot, shut up." :)

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sonic Three & Knuckles was one of the first games I ever 100 percent completed. beat it with Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, and Super Tails.

Memories of my Sega Genesis are fond.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, how many hours of gameplay does this thing have across all games? Aren't there like, a few RPGs on here?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, how many hours of gameplay does this thing have across all games? Aren't there like, a few RPGs on here?

a metric ton

it doesn't matter, just play Ecco until your eyes bleed

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The 4 Phantasy Stars & the 3 Shining Force games (although technically 2 of the Shining Force games are Strategy/RPGs). Those games alone could take over 100 hours (maybe 200) easily.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am getting this just so I can relive Shining Force 2 on my own system (instead of having to use my brothers Wii)

And by god himself Gerhalt will be in my party!

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now give us a Guardian Heroes port, Sega

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My only disappointment with this collection is that there's no Gunstar Heroes on it. Come on Sega, sure Dynamite Headdy's awesome but what about the other Treasure games?

I still have the Wii version, but Gunstar in HD would have been nice.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't know why, but I seem to recall that you can get there without Hyper Sonic in S3&K, but it requires not having all 7 emeralds by a certain point... can't remember if it's the start of Mushroom Hill or if it's later though. Whenever it is, it stops you going after the Super Emeralds and means you can grab the rest of the normal ones. With any luck, TSR will show up sooner or later and say, "Blitz, you're an idiot, shut up." :)
    It works like this:

In the Sonic 3 stages, you play the Sonic 3 bonus stages and can retrieve the Chaos Emeralds from them. If you get all 7 Chaos Emeralds, you can be Super Sonic/Knuckles while they are in your possession. When you get to the S&K stages and enter a bonus stage, you go to Hidden Palace and all of the Chaos Emeralds are taken from you and upgraded to Super Emeralds, and you play the S&K bonus stages to retreive them. (Since the emeralds were taken from you, you can no longer be Super for the duration of the S&K stages.) If you collected all 7 Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 stages, collecting all of the upgraded Super Emeralds will allow you to be Hyper Sonic/Knuckles (or Super Tails) for the remainder of the game. If you failed to originally collect all 7 Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 stages but grabbed all of the upgraded Super Emeralds that you can, then you can go back to the Sonic 3 bonus stages after that and finish collecting Chaos Emeralds that you missed the first time around, then finally grab their updated Super Emerald versions after that. *exhale*

If you happened to have collected all 7 Chaos Emeralds at any point during the game (either in S3&K or S&K), you can reach Doomsday Zone. This is the case even if you still haven't retrieved all of the Super Emeralds yet in S3&K.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I'm totally buying this. There's a lot of awesome I missed being a SNES person back in the day.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone else figure the Lock-On content will be DLC?

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So out of the Achievements...
    Sonic's Ultimate Game Collection - Achievement List
    There are 34 achievements with a total of 1000 points.

Get Rich (25 points)
    Alex Kidd: Collect 1,000 in currency

Don't Die (25 points)
    Alien Storm: Reach Mission 3 without losing a life

Enter the Beast (10 points)
    Altered Beast: Collect 100,000 pts or higher by the end of the first level

Holy Water (20 points)
    Beyond Oasis: Unlock the Water Spirit

Stealing Points (20 points)
    Bonanza Brothers: Reach 40,000 points on the first level

Easy as Pie (15 points)
    Columns: Get 20,000 points only on Easy Mode

Hardly a Hero (20 points)
    Comix Zone: Complete first episode

Get Ahead (30 points)
    Decap Attack: Collect 5 Bonus Coins

Communication is Key (10 points)
    Ecco: Talk to another dolphin

Taste Like Tuna (20 points)
    Ecco: The Tides of Time: Eat 200 fish

Suit up (30 points)
    E-SWAT: Obtain the Combat Suit (Complete Mission 2)

Don't Get Lost (30 points)
    Fatal Labyrinth: Progress to the fifth level of the labyrinth

Getting Chicks (25 points)
    Flicky: Collect 80,000 points

Garden Gnomes (20 points)
    Golden Axe: Collect 20 magic power-ups

Tower Up (35 points)
    Golden Axe II: Complete Tower Level

Saved by Magic (20 points)
    Golden Axe III: Use magic 10 times

TGIF (35 points)
    Kid Chameleon: Collect Maniaxe

Twinkle Twinkle (30 points)
    Ristar: Collect 5 Yellow Stars

Yatta! (50 points)
    Dr. Robotnik's M.B.M.: Complete the game

True Ninja Skills (30 points)
    Shinobi III: Complete first level without using continues

Complete Chaos (30 points)
    Sonic The Hedgehog: Obtain a Chaos Emerald

A Different Tail (35 points)
    Sonic 3: Collect 100 rings with Tails anywhere on Angel Island Zone

Flicky to the Rescue (15 points)
    Sonic 3D Blast: Rescue 20 Flickies.

Lots of Zeros (30 points)
    Sonic Spinball: Get 10,000,000 points in the first level

Get to the Chopper (15 points)
    Super Thunder Blade: Score over 1,500,000 points in the first level

Three Times a Charm (20 points)
    Streets of Rage: Complete 1st Level using all 3 characters

Good Day Mate (15 points)
    Streets of Rage 3: Unlock Roo the Kangaroo as a playable character

Super Charged (45 points)
    VectorMan: Collect 500 photons

Can You Dig It? (45 points)
    VectorMan 2: Reach Scene 11

Blast Processing (50 points)
    Play all Genesisâ„¢ Titles

Master the System (50 points)
    Unlock Everything

No Life (50 points)
    Watch Every Video

Critique (50 points)
    View all Artwork

Only in the '80s (50 points)
    Play all Arcade Titles

Are any of those like super-hard? I wasn't a Genesis kid growing up, so just wondering if the Trophies are insanely hard.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Get Rich (25 points)

Don't Die (25 points)

Holy Water (20 points)

Easy as Pie (15 points)

Get Ahead (30 points)

Suit up (30 points)

Tower Up (35 points)

TGIF (35 points)

Yatta! (50 points)

Unlock Everything

No Life (50 points)
    Watch Every Video

Critique (50 points)
    View all Artwork

Play all Arcade Titles

Are any of those like super-hard? I wasn't a Genesis kid growing up, so just wondering if the Trophies are insanely hard.

Most of those seem really easy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, uh...

I didn't get my normal GameStop call about this today...

I hope it's still coming out this week. D:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Get Rich (25 points)

Don't Die (25 points)

Holy Water (20 points)

Easy as Pie (15 points)

Get Ahead (30 points)

Suit up (30 points)

Tower Up (35 points)

TGIF (35 points)

Yatta! (50 points)

Unlock Everything

No Life (50 points)
    Watch Every Video

Critique (50 points)
    View all Artwork

Play all Arcade Titles

Most of those seem really easy.

... Most of them you can't get through the game without doing anyhow. That's a pretty crappy achievement list if you ask me. That Shinobi 3 one is pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, uh...

I didn't get my normal GameStop call about this today...

I hope it's still coming out this week. D:

It is, Gamestop told me it wasn't due to be released until today...so hopefully they have it when I run over to get it.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This releases today?
    I've never had the phantasy star series (We were a nintendo household). I'll have to get it just for that.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone who owns a physical copy of the game today is obligated to post that they have it, and maybe even include a screenshot as proof.

I didn't pre-order or order it off amazon or anything, but I will likely pick the game up once I get paid this Friday for some crazy weekend gaming sessions.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone who owns a physical copy of the game today is obligated to post that they have it, and maybe even include a screenshot as proof.

I didn't pre-order or order it off amazon or anything, but I will likely pick the game up once I get paid this Friday for some crazy weekend gaming sessions.

I picked it up last night from Bestbuy and it's pretty enjoyable, I picked it up for PS3 but definitely worthwhile to get this collection

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Woo! Just picked this up.

Time to cram all the years I missed out on as an SNES owner into just a few weeks.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    no problems that commonly plague old ports, on this?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh my God, the interface is fantastic. The main menu is simply gorgeous, and you can easily sort titles alphabetically, by release date, genre, or by your ratings. Yes, on the main menu, you can assign a ranking of 1 to 5 instantly just by using left or right on the D-pad. Extras are accessed instantly by pressing Triangle, and they tell you the requirements for unlocking each bonus video. Pressing Circle on any title will let you read a description, history and trivia for each title, and also let you look at the box art, zoom in, etc.

Very slick for a compilation title.

EDIT: Purists will also like that smoothing is automatically turned off by default.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    AAARRRGGGHHH! I want this! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sweet, this has a roguelike on it! Fatal Labyrinth, wonder if it's any good. Love the description:

"In a shocking twist, this RPG features a kingdom in danger that can only be saved by a chosen warrior."

"- Fatal Labyrinth is an early example of a "roguelike" game, similar to SEGA's Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer."

It's like they're speaking directly to me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Space Harrier...play Space Harrier. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Space Harrier...play Space Harrier. :x

It's an arcade title you have to unlock. The only arcade title I've unlocked so far is Shinobi arcade (which I submit is better than Shinobi III).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm so annoyed, I can't buy this until friday but it's at the store just down the street!

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I enjoy Fatal Labyrinth, but uh...I guess you can die from being full. As I took a bite of food, my character said "I'm stuffed" and then it showed my gravestone. D:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All I know is the first arcade titles I want to play again is Space Harrier and Alien Syndrome.

I use to sink so much money into their machines.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!