Options

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gibb wrote: »
    Anyone else get strange stutters when playing? The game runs smooth as hell, and everyone once in a while it will freeze up. Its amazingly frustrating. I play at full pretty much everything, and I can run Crysis Warhead without issues.

:x

How long does it freeze up for? Or is it a constant stuttering that gets worse as you play?

subedii on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just played the demo on the 360, it was okay the first time through but it doesn't feel like it has much replay value.

Can't wait to try the full version.

rayofash on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    God, Steam is fucking garbage. I've entered a triple-digit kb/s download rate exactly once in the last four hours and tinkering with that TCP viewer just makes it crap out on me.

Rust on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    rayofash wrote: »
    Just played the demo on the 360, it was okay the first time through but it doesn't feel like it has much replay value.

You didn't play it right

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Anyone else get strange stutters when playing? The game runs smooth as hell, and everyone once in a while it will freeze up. Its amazingly frustrating. I play at full pretty much everything, and I can run Crysis Warhead without issues.

How long does it freeze up for? Or is it a constant stuttering that gets worse as you play?

A few seconds, and sounds loop then it goes back to normal.

Gibb on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I spent about an hour playing this with three buddies. Fun in the exact same way that Counterstrike zombies is fun. $45 worth of fun? Doesn't seem like it to me. I mean, it's alright, but if I want to play something with friends TF2 is much better and if I want to shoot people in the head with an M4A1 Counterstrike is always there.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Not sure then, I had the other problem. Sounds as if your PC might be doing something really intensive periodically, but if it doesn't happen with other games, then I don't know.

subedii on
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Not sure then, I had the other problem. Sounds as if your PC might be doing something really intensive periodically, but if it doesn't happen with other games, then I don't know.

Yeah TF2 is perfect. I wouldnt be so pissed, but its a Source game, I thought it would run as good as the other ones.

Gibb on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Expert is balls hard. Like, fuck trying to complete a whole campaign on it until a few months later when we got our shit down.

JJ on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hell fuck yeah, Expert is leaps and bounds ahead of Advanced in terms of difficulty.

Good games guys, was super fun :D

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone DTF...er down to play tonight?

steamid

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969428659

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just got done with my first game. That was absolutely awesome.

However, when a friend got tagged by the Smoker, who just happened to be standing on a Subway platform next to THE WITCH, I just stood and stared for a while with a look of horror on my face. Do I save my friend, possibly waking up the Witch, and dooming EVERYONE, or do I let him die, turn around, and run without looking back?

(We ended up shooting the shit out of the Witch with shotgun blasts, because we were on Normal 'cause I suck at FPS games.)

Kay2 on
  • Options
    AntiQuoAntiQuo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Expert might be way harder but, it is also way more fun.

AntiQuo on
    1e276.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I spent about an hour playing this with three buddies. Fun in the exact same way that Counterstrike zombies is fun. $45 worth of fun? Doesn't seem like it to me. I mean, it's alright, but if I want to play something with friends TF2 is much better and if I want to shoot people in the head with an M4A1 Counterstrike is always there.

Just as well I guess. Valve don't want everyone to migrate from TF2 to this. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    Expert is balls hard. Like, fuck trying to complete a whole campaign on it until a few months later when we got our shit down.
    Beaten with pistol only.

I say pistol for a reason, not pistols.

I'm sure that won't be happening once the full version comes out.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quick thing to put out there: if this is running like shit for you, if you have a dual core cpu, try mat_queue_mode 2, its a lot more stabler here than in tf2.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    marty wrote: »
    Quick thing to put out there: if this is running like shit for you, if you have a dual core cpu, try mat_queue_mode 2, its a lot more stabler here than in tf2.

I had that problem as well, and used that command line. I thought the problem was fixed though? Because I've removed that line and my game runs fine now.

subedii on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know you guys saying you beat it with pistols only I am pretty sure you did not fight a tank.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Awesome games tonight, and thanks Dissociater for kinda running us through the levels :P

I love this game already, no mater how many times I hear the witches song it still scares the shit out of me, and seeing her running towards me with those eyes is just D:

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Beaten with pistol only.

Even with just these two levels it means you were being carried by your teammates and the director went easy on you. Or you charged through the level meleeing and got lucky.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I had that problem as well, and used that command line. I thought the problem was fixed though? Because I've removed that line and my game runs fine now.

think that was due to steam going batshit and eating all the cpu power. This spreads the load of handling physics particles and ragdolls over 2 cpus in dual/quad cores.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't know if it's in the demo but L4D does have dual core support.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zek wrote: »

i would hope so, but mat_queue_mode was on -1 by default so take it as you will. I'm guessing this demo must from an earlier beta.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It does, but early on there were issues with some multi core processors (at least that's what one of the Valve devs said on the forums) that the game didn't like and it caused the game to stutter and collapse in on itself. I think that's been fixed, at least for me.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It does, but early on there were issues with some multi core processors (at least that's what one of the Valve devs said on the forums) that the game didn't like and it caused the game to stutter and collapse in on itself. I think that's been fixed, at least for me.

in what way does it support dual-cores? To the level of ut3?

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the hardest thing about expert is friendly fire. like i wanted to heal mighty but forgot to select the medkit and shot him in the back of the head by mistake. Or I see something running right at me when i shotgun him to find out it was Bill.

massacring eachother in the safe room in the zone in is fun too. As long as everyones laughing.

JJ on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is anyone else having trouble downloading the PC demo? Every time I click the install button it just refreshes the demo info page.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    the hardest thing about expert is friendly fire. like i wanted to heal mighty but forgot to select the medkit and shot him in the back of the head by mistake. Or I see something running right at me when i shotgun him to find out it was Bill.

massacring eachother in the safe room in the zone in is fun too. As long as everyones laughing.

Yep I'm pretty sure FF is highest on Expert. I've been one-shotted by a shotgun at 100 health before. People will need to learn to play very very carefully to be able to win.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

in what way does it support dual-cores? To the level of ut3?

It supports them just fine. It's just a bug some people were getting.

subedii on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Beaten with pistol only.

Even with just these two levels it means you were being carried by your teammates and the director went easy on you. Or you charged through the level meleeing and got lucky.

No, see, they all had pistols.

I wouldn't really call expert particularly hard though. Sure, a group can tend to wipe a lot and generally die horribly, but it's usually only difficult because [strike]we shoot each other by accident five matches in a row and die horribly because we're constantly backtracking and getting separated and oh jesus boomer hunter smoker horde why god oh shit fire HIDE IN THE CLOSET SHIT ZOMBIES HERE TOO.[/strike] I shoot my team in the back because they look like zombies. Once friendly fire is under control things can go pretty smoothly. Expert deserves to be moved down to advanced, with something impossible in it's place.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know you guys saying you beat it with pistols only I am pretty sure you did not fight a tank.

Me, RolandTHG, theButterfly, and Dogwelder just finished an expert run with pistols only, and we beat a tank. Granted, we used a molotov on it and ran around the pillar room until it died, but we beat it. Tanks are not unkillable, they're just really hard and when he knocks someone down you have to melee them to get their attention off the down person so a teammate can go pick them up.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The download speed usually does not bother me.

But having the demo on a clock plus the download speed is leading to wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Beaten with pistol only.

Quit yur braggin.

We just beat expert with pistols, and there was a tank by the minigun.

All four of us got knocked down by him, but only one of us died.

tl;dr what spawnbroker said

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Considering the difficulty jump from the first level to the second level, I would not be surprised if the later levels were pretty damn brutal on Expert.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Beaten with pistol only.

Quit yur braggin.

We beat it straight through with no wipes.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just can't imagine this game with more levels.

It's like there's an upper limit to the amount of awesome I can grasp at one time.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Beaten with pistol only.

Quit yur braggin.

Oh goody, E-peen competition!

Shall I grab the measuring tape or are you guys good? :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm thinking about moving my computer into the bathroom on release day. Not a lot of time for piss breaks in this game.

Beaten with pistol only.

Quit yur braggin.

Oh goody, E-peen competition!

Shall I grab the measuring tape or are you guys good? :lol:

They don't make tapes that long. :winky:

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Butterfly BoyButterfly Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

False, Roland, spawnbroker?, some other guy, and me just took one down with pistols only.

And screaming.

Butterfly Boy on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Considering the difficulty jump from the first level to the second level, I would not be surprised if the later levels were pretty damn brutal on Expert.

The last level will have you each fighting a Tank one on one, with witches every few feet, and Boomers falling from the sky.

It will be glorious.

Mandalorian Rooster on
This discussion has been closed.