Options

OBLIVIGUN

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cool, thanks guys. last time i tried doing this I ran into raiders and then some supermuties across the river were shooting me with a minigun and dammit dammit dammit

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so I'm on my third character and I'm already considering a fourth

MacGyver

Speech, Repair and Unarmed with a minor focus on Lockpick and Science, running around always doing the peaceful options

refusing to so much as pick up a gun

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so i was wandering around the wastes on my level 18 feller, exploring everything i could find. i randomly run into some place called mason dixon salvage, whereupon i am attacked by 3 mutant masters, 4 brutes, 3 giant rad scorpions, and two centaurs

fucked 'em all up

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    so I'm on my third character and I'm already considering a fourth

MacGyver

Speech, Repair and Unarmed with a minor focus on Lockpick and Science, running around always doing the peaceful options

refusing to so much as pick up a gun
    holy crap dude, this is an amazing idea.

the next guy I was going to make was going to be unarmed/explosives/melee and take the violent options for everything. No talking, only smashing!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i'm hoping to kick this character back up into the positive karma before he hits 20 so i can get that achievement, then the next run through will be my asshole character

just fucking up everyone's shit as much as i can

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    my next runthrough i am going to play a selfish, unethical wasteland doctor

i will probably take unarmed or energy weapons / lockpick / medicine with science as my minor skill

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I want to take energy but I've only run into one rifle so far and i don't think one laser pistol is going to do the job.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ValVal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    I want to take energy but I've only run into one rifle so far and i don't think one laser pistol is going to do the job.

Later in the story you'll have energy weapons coming out of your ears its just that random raiders don't generally have them.

Val on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vàl wrote: »

Later in the story you'll have energy weapons coming out of your ears its just that random raiders don't generally have them.

yeah. i didn't put any points into energy weapons until like level 16, and even then i was just slowly capping it out. i used Tag! to work on it a bit more, then got my tesla armor, and now it's capped out at level 18 and i am fucking errything up. for a 21 damage weapon, the laser rifle rocks face.

same with the plasma rifle. it's interesting how all the energy weapons have lower base damage then the small guns but take less AP and still do decent damage. also, big clips.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ok, good to know, cause I'm getting really, really pissed at my chinese assault rifle when I try it in vats. it does not hit a goddamn thing.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    assault rifles are pretty crappy in vats. they fire three shots a vats round which sucks balls. usually it takes two to three VATS ap allocations to the head to kill things with it.

on that note, however, once you get lincoln's repeater things will get beheaded more or less instantly. and the chinese rifle is great for late game once you get it hella repaired and are in need of something with virtually infinite ammo. i have something like 1700 shots for it and i use it to clear out buildings full of crap i don't want to waste important ammo on.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As far as I can tell, the one thing that bothers me about this game is the same thing that bothered me about Oblivion. Do all of the mobs scale up with your level? Like, do mole rats stop appearing in the wasteland after a certain level and the only mobs you run into are the higher-end monsters? On the other end, can you not encounter the high level monsters when you begin the game?

Oblivion was much more fun with the mod where you could walk into a cave and the monsters inside were just way too strong for you. It's not as tense or rewarding when you know that every fight is winnable.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    my problem is that nothing does anywhere near the damage, besides the minigun or flamer but I don't have ammo for those. Ideally, in my next game, I want to not carry around 8 different weapons that all use different ammo. small guns, the way I play it, I suppose, aren't as useful as I would like them to be.

except for shotguns, shotguns are awesome.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Langly wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, the one thing that bothers me about this game is the same thing that bothered me about Oblivion. Do all of the mobs scale up with your level? Like, do mole rats stop appearing in the wasteland after a certain level and the only mobs you run into are the higher-end monsters? On the other end, can you not encounter the high level monsters when you begin the game?

Oblivion was much more fun with the mod where you could walk into a cave and the monsters inside were just way too strong for you. It's not as tense or rewarding when you know that every fight is winnable.

no

there is no mob scaling in this game, period. areas are tailored to levels and the enemies within that area are scaled slightly within a certain, small range of levels. like if you hit up a 10-13 area at level 11, they'll also be 11-12.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So I'm playing thru the game again and I'm thinking lone gun man, hates the world but does the right thing. Also how the fuck do I get out of 101 without killing The Overseer(last time I just shot him in the head). I tried surrendering but that failed horribly, I guess its one of the other options?

Val on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    my problem is that nothing does anywhere near the damage, besides the minigun or flamer but I don't have ammo for those. Ideally, in my next game, I want to not carry around 8 different weapons that all use different ammo. small guns, the way I play it, I suppose, aren't as useful as I would like them to be.

except for shotguns, shotguns are awesome.

i thought this for awhile too, but lots of small guns do a shitload of damage with a high skill in good condition. shit, the terrible shotgun does almost as much damage as the alien raygun when repaired.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So I'm playing thru the game again and I'm thinking lone gun man, hates the world but does the right thing. Also how the fuck do I get out of 101 without killing The Overseer(last time I just shot him in the head). I tried surrendering but that failed horribly, I guess its one of the other options?

i got out of vault 101 the first time without even seeing or talking to him

just book it (i did all good karma choices, too)

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There are a number of ways to get out of 101 without violence

you can either hack his computer, pick the lock to his safe, or get his daughter to give you the codes

Javen on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I killed the Overseer and Butch in fits of rage.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »

no

there is no mob scaling in this game, period. areas are tailored to levels and the enemies within that area are scaled slightly within a certain, small range of levels. like if you hit up a 10-13 area at level 11, they'll also be 11-12.

Hooray!!!!!!

I guess what I've seen is the area around megaton that is obviously low level geared. This, pretty much, makes the game perfect. man, i want to leave work and play right now! Level 4 right now and trying to find the Family who may or may not have a captive or something and ima kill them.

Langly on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hit the Overseer in the head with my baseball bat and booked it before he began to give chase. Later I get a random amount of XP for no reason. Turns out the Radroaches got him and his guards. Amata blamed me for his death. Not my fault the guy got beat to death by a cockroach.

Squall on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When I talked to The Overseer's daughter I gave her a gun to help defend herself. Got some good karma, then decided to wander around a bit before leaving because I knew I probably wouldn't be able to come back. After a while I heard some shouting, then a gunshot.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    there's a specific choice in the conversation that's basically "Well fuck you I'm not going to get blood on my hands" And he just calls for guards endlessly, even though they are not there

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    When I talked to The Overseer's daughter I gave her a gun to help defend herself. Got some good karma, then decided to wander around a bit before leaving because I knew I probably wouldn't be able to come back. After a while I heard some shouting, then a gunshot.

Wow that is pretty awesome

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The first time I just walked in capped the guard then capped the Overseer without any discussion. Oddly Amata was not impressed, personally I blame it on a fit of blind anger over Joshua's death.

Val on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i'm sorry, but when a guy runs at me all angry like, overseer or not, i'm going to kill that bitch

potatoe on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I tried to save Butch's mom but I couldn't figure out where she was, I went the wrong direction. By the time I got there the roaches had killed her. Then I went back to Butch and he was just whining and blaming and then I had the bat out and then I was hitting him and then he was dead.

captaink on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »

no

Hooray!!!!!!

I guess what I've seen is the area around megaton that is obviously low level geared. This, pretty much, makes the game perfect. man, i want to leave work and play right now! Level 4 right now and trying to find the Family who may or may not have a captive or something and ima kill them.

some of the optional random stuff is more powerful if you're high level.

Like some mirelurk places will have more hunters instead of regular mirelurks if you're high up.

its done alot better than the oblivion scaling though. Like I never noticed something being retardedly harder when i was level 20 vs level 10. I didnt even notice it until my second playthrough. I went to some places earlier in levels than I did the first time and there were less guys or weaker versions of them.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    First play thru I killed all the roaches the just shot both Butch and his Mom in the head. Man my first character was one angry dude.

Val on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    when you go by his office and see him and mac giving the girl a hard time you just keep walkin'

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh my god I love the radio plays

Argyle is fantastic

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    when you go by his office and see him and mac giving the girl a hard time you just keep walkin'

you can kill the guard and then talk to the overseer and still not kill him. There is an option where you take the high road and he'll just stand there calling for guards. I'm pretty sure you get karma for it.

Langly on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm going to go back to vault 101 and cleanse the place once I can.

Grath on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I tried to play Fallout again this morning between classes
    but my Xbox decided to redring instead.

WHOOPS

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    neville wrote: »
    I tried to play Fallout again this morning between classes
    but my Xbox decided to redring instead.

WHOOPS
    shouldn't have tried to put something that big in it.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this game really Oblvion with guns?

Because damn I liked Oblvion, fact I've been playing it again lately since my PC is like a tiny god (it actually became self aware on Oct 17th at 4:53am) but I dunno if I can handle another game like it without all the shitton of mods I got in there (BTmod, levelling mods, etc etc).

jwalk on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Calling fallout3 "Oblivion with guns" doesn't do the game much justice. I mean, yeah, both games are Bethesda, and are essentially the same type of game, but Fallout is just so much bigger and better.

I think my only gripe is lack of transportation. Every time I come up on a random motorcycle that doesn't look blown to shit, I really expect to be able to hop on and take off across the wasteland.

Newtron on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh, I think I fucked over Tenpenny Tower. I'm trying to do it all peaceful like but I gave an incriminating letter to some guys wife and she went apeshit and killed her husband and the other woman and now I'm at an impasse of what to do. I've spoken to everyone and nothing seems to be changing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Obviously you should drag Megaton's nuke to Tenpenny Tower and blow it the fuck up.

I wish this was an option.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I may just gun rampage them all. Whiny ghouls and arsehole hotel residents.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.