As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Scumdogg wrote: »
    So i got like 11 Marvel Essentials for Christmas. 5 volumes of Fantastic Four, 3 of The Hulk, and 3 of Captain America.

In an effort to temper this two-foot stack of sweet sweet history with a little color, i went out and took advantage of some post Christmas sales to buy a few more trades.

In addition to Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 6 (finally), i picked up Marvel 1602 and All-Star Batman & Robin. So on a scale of 1-10 how awesome is 1602 going to be? Because i flipped through it at the store and it seems pretty awesome (hence the purchase, i guess). I see there are some peripheral and/or follow-up books, do i need those too or should i just read this one?

Also when can the next All-Star Batman hardcover be expected to arrive? I hope the answer is "goddamn soon".

Answer to question 2: Goddamn years from now. I think there've only been three or four issues released since that hardcover hit in June or July.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Answer to 1602: a solid 7 on my 1-10 scale. Pretty fun. The Fantastik Four one is good, the "New World" one sucked pretty hard. Might be acceptable if you're a HUGE Peter Parquer fan, otherwise piss on that.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really loved 1602, and yeah the FF one isn't bad (although hardly essential reading).

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    So i got like 11 Marvel Essentials for Christmas. 5 volumes of Fantastic Four, 3 of The Hulk, and 3 of Captain America.

In an effort to temper this two-foot stack of sweet sweet history with a little color, i went out and took advantage of some post Christmas sales to buy a few more trades.

In addition to Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 6 (finally), i picked up Marvel 1602 and All-Star Batman & Robin. So on a scale of 1-10 how awesome is 1602 going to be? Because i flipped through it at the store and it seems pretty awesome (hence the purchase, i guess). I see there are some peripheral and/or follow-up books, do i need those too or should i just read this one?

Also when can the next All-Star Batman hardcover be expected to arrive? I hope the answer is "goddamn soon".

Answer to question 2: Goddamn years from now. I think there've only been three or four issues released since that hardcover hit in June or July.

Well that's depressing. :(

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Well that's depressing. :(

I believe the original 1602 was the only Gaiman-written book. The rest might be worth reading, but I haven't heard a lot of positive noise towards that direction so I wouldn't bother.

[EDIT] Beaten, like hours ago, apparently.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    The Fantastick Four miniseries was written by Peter David and it's delightful.

New World was written by Greg Pak and it's terrible.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the input guys. I will probably get the Fantastick Four one if i like this book, i enjoy the FF under most circumstances.

Two more questions:

If i want to read Civil War, how do i do it? I keep going to pick up Civil War trades, then i see like five peripheral trades, and i don't know what all is necessary or how it fits together. Or should i even bother? Because fuck it if it's already been all undone, i'll wait till it shows up at half price books or something.

I got a nice DC Direct set for Christmas, the Killing Joke box set which includes two figures and the book. This version is a slim 58 pages, but i see the one being sold on Amazon is 64. I looked into it but can't figure out what's missing. Hopefully just like intros and sketches?

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just buy Civil War. If you're interested in any of the others, I'd recommend New Avengers and Spiderman. Otherwise, just Civil War is fine.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Just buy Civil War. If you're interested in any of the others, I'd recommend New Avengers and Spiderman. Otherwise, just Civil War is fine.

Okay, cool. I just remember when i read House of M some of the stuff in the side books seemed pretty integral. If only the main book is needed though, i'll just start there. Thanks!

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You could try picking up CIVIL WAR CHRONICLES - they took relevant stories from the crossover issues, and mixed them in with the main CW miniseries. Honestly, I'm not sure it would be worth your trouble, though - the story itself wasn't that great, it just allowed for some great post-CW stories afterward.

As far as TKJ - yeah, you're just missing out on fluff.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Civil War hasn't been undone yet. I'd just get the main trade and this Iron Man trade which contains issues of Captain America and Iron Man from that event along with a special that has both the characters meeting in the ruins of Avengers Mansion one last time before the final battle of the series.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Civil War hasn't been undone yet. I'd just get the main trade and this Iron Man trade which contains issues of Captain America and Iron Man from that event along with a special that has both the characters meeting in the ruins of Avengers Mansion one last time before the final battle of the series.

I would definitely say this is essential reading for anyone that reads Civil War.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You could try picking up CIVIL WAR CHRONICLES - they took relevant stories from the crossover issues, and mixed them in with the main CW miniseries. Honestly, I'm not sure it would be worth your trouble, though - the story itself wasn't that great, it just allowed for some great post-CW stories afterward.

Yeah i've heard mediocre things, but i just kinda see it as the point i need to start at to at least somewhat catch up on new Marvel business. So i'm cool with getting through it in the quickest/cheapest way possible that is not wikipedia, but at the same time i didn't want to miss too much by not getting the right books.

Man, i wish i could settle on an old/new Marvel/DC preference but after so many years of wanting to start up a trade collection, i'm just finding my mind blown and my wallet raped by the entirety of comic books in general. Catching up is proving difficult. Basically all i do with my free time now is read.

EDIT: Iron Man, eh? Yes, that definitely sounds like it should be gotten. Will do.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, apparently the book doesn't contain the issues of Cap, but rather the Civil War: Confession special. That only makes it more desirable, though, since Confession was probably the best closing for the series.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think I must really dislike Iron Man subconsciously now, b/c I dunno how else I'd omit it from the discussion. Probably want to check it out if you like the main story, as others said.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yeah i've heard mediocre things, but i just kinda see it as the point i need to start at to at least somewhat catch up on new Marvel business. So i'm cool with getting through it in the quickest/cheapest way possible that is not wikipedia, but at the same time i didn't want to miss too much by not getting the right books.

Man, i wish i could settle on an old/new Marvel/DC preference but after so many years of wanting to start up a trade collection, i'm just finding my mind blown and my wallet raped by the entirety of comic books in general. Catching up is proving difficult. Basically all i do with my free time now is read.

EDIT: Iron Man, eh? Yes, that definitely sounds like it should be gotten. Will do.

The post-Secret Invasion "Dark Reign" seems like it'd be a pretty good jumping on point for you, and the catch-up costs are low - you'd really only need to buy the DR special and Invincible Iron Man #8, maybe pick up DR:New Nation.

Anything DCU related that isn't written by Geoff Johns is probably an incredible continuity clusterfuck at this point, so good luck on that front. :P

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The post-Secret Invasion "Dark Reign" seems like it'd be a pretty good jumping on point for you, and the catch-up costs are low - you'd really only need to buy the DR special and Invincible Iron Man #8, maybe pick up DR:New Nation.

Anything DCU related that isn't written by Geoff Johns is probably an incredible continuity clusterfuck at this point, so good luck on that front. :P

Thanks, but i want to at least get the basics in of Civil War, World War Hulk, and Secret Invasion. Then i'm probably going to try to stay as current as trades will allow on at least the core Marvel storylines.

As for DCU, yeah...i...don't really have any legitimate hopes of catching up on that. I'd like to catch Batman from Batman & Son on up, but mostly i've just been trying to focus on the highly recommended standalone books for characters i like that i've missed over the last several years. I am interested in checking out this Sinestro Corps business i hear so much about though. But...one thing at a time.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    World War Hulk is really not important like at all

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    World War Hulk is really not important like at all

Not even if i really like Hulk? I'd also like to have some sort of comprehension of all the Hulk Superhero Squad figures Hasbro has been shoving down my throat while i'm just trying to buy Black Bolt and Leader and such.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only good thing WWH did was set up Herc and Cho. It had no lasting effects otherwise.
    He was out of that bunker in like ten fucking minutes!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well if you're a hulk fan than yeah, but really if you want to appreciate WWH you should read Planet Hulk first

But the only real fallout from WWH was with Hulk himself (which turned into an awful series), Hercules (which turned into one of the best series being published today) and Dr Strange. Outside of that it was really a waste.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Even the Dr. Strange thing was done in New Avengers after that. It was unnecessary.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got a $25 gift card for Barnes and Noble, which I'll be visiting tomorrow, so maybe I could get some recommended books?

And slightly related, but every time I see the hardcover for Watchmen (with specials as low as 40% off, no doubt to create hype for the movie), I'm tempted to buy it (I never read it before. Put the pitchforks down), but I don't want to spoil the movie. It's a conundrum for me. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    that is backwards

you should hurry up and read it now so the movie dosen't spoil the book

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If I'm going to experience the big plot twists and climactic set pieces, I would prefer to experience them in an IMAX screened big budget presentation over reading it in my room or something.

Not that your logic is wrong, in fact I was a hair's length from nabbing it today, but decided it would be worth it to go to the movie fresh.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Umm... the book is INSANE. Like, super-good. Even Tube can't hate it. Just go read it, then super-re-enjoy-it on the big screen. Seriously.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Why can't I enjoy the movie, then enjoy the book afterward to catch up on all the stuff they couldn't fit in? One way or another I'll be reading it.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Because the book will be better either way. Might as well get the BEST experience first. Seriously now.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I made the mistake of watching THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING before I read any of the LotR books - in retrospect, this was a mistake (mainly for visualization purposes).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You know, I love the Lord of the Rings... but I can't stand the actual books. And no I wasn't introduced to it via the movies, I used to listen to the old BBC drama all the time when I was young.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I just hate hobbits and elves.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Virral, have you read Kraven's Last Hunt yet? 8-)

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    After really digging the first couple of episodes of the TV show I just finished the Complete Middleman collection.

I wanted to give everyone the heads up that once I rule the world I will be making it compulsory. Subjects of my oppresive totalitarian leadership who were wise enough to read the book before I ascend to power will be given an extra potato ration and one less undeserved thrashing per week. So go buy it.

The implied lack of any more volumes is a bit of a concern though, does anyone know if there are definitely not going to be any more or is it still up in the air? Perhaps now he's achieved the goal of making it a TV show he doesn't feel the need to do any more of the graphic novels, which would be a real shame if you ask me.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Virral, have you read Kraven's Last Hunt yet? 8-)

I sure have, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks man :D I thought it was really interesting to see Kraven getting all mystical with the Spider, it made me think about JMS' spider-totem stuff a LOT. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was one of the inspirations for the JMS stuff.

Probably the only thing about it that didn't really sit right for me was this idea that vermin was some kind of serious threat... he didn't seem like a serious threat, but I guess he had been in earlier issues? I can't say I'm that familiar with the character, but it made me wish I'd read more of the earlier issues.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    well the story references the fact that in a recent story that Vermin was able to take on both Spider-Man and Captain America at the same time

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's been a while since I've bothered to keep up with continuity (outside fo picing up X-Factor TPBs).

WTF is a Red Hulk?

Evander on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't.

You'll be a much better person for it.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've been trying to ignore it.

But I stopped in a comic book shop to pick up a copy of early american chrononauts the other day.

You see, I never go in to comic shops anymore, since I've cut out monthlies entirely, and I get a discount at Barnes & Noble.

And there, at the comic shop, is all kinds of stuff staring at me.

It's like, most of this I can figure out. Cap died so the new Cap is Bucky; makes perfect sense. Even House of M I was able to sort out.

But WHY THE FUCK is there a Red Hulk? Is he in addition to green Hulk? Instead of Green Hulk?

I just need to know.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    He is in addition to the Green Hulk

and he was apparently created by General Ross? We dont know who he really is yet.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    does he serve a purpose?

do they REALLY reffer to him as "Rulk" in the comics?

would you say that Red Hulk is "better than", "worse than" or "same as" Electric powers Superman who then split in to two people? Spiderman clone saga?

I'm just trying to get a handle on this.

Evander on
This discussion has been closed.