As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    he serves a purpose in the sense that he's another dude for regular Hulk to fight.

I think he's been referred to as Rulk a couple times but jokingly.

He's fairly terrible but I find the whole thing hilarious.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    does he serve a purpose?

do they REALLY reffer to him as "Rulk" in the comics?

would you say that Red Hulk is "better than", "worse than" or "same as" Electric powers Superman who then split in to two people? Spiderman clone saga?

I'm just trying to get a handle on this.

Essentially his purpose is to go around the Marvel Universe and punch people in the face and make stupid comments about punching people in the face.

They actually call him Rulk.

So much worse.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what are the chances that Rulk will take over as the real hulk, and then have a day job at a coffee shop?

am I going too far?

Evander on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    About 1 in 4

Bloods End on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok so I was just thinking about magneto and had a question: can magneto feel or sense the presence of metal all the time, or just when he starts to try and manipulate magnetic fields? It would seem like having that all the time would fuck you up whenever you were in cities.
    Also, can he see the magnetic stuff he's manipulating? (The fields, obviously he can see the metal)

Langly on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Virral, have you read Kraven's Last Hunt yet? 8-)

I sure have, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks man :D I thought it was really interesting to see Kraven getting all mystical with the Spider, it made me think about JMS' spider-totem stuff a LOT. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was one of the inspirations for the JMS stuff.

Probably the only thing about it that didn't really sit right for me was this idea that vermin was some kind of serious threat... he didn't seem like a serious threat, but I guess he had been in earlier issues? I can't say I'm that familiar with the character, but it made me wish I'd read more of the earlier issues.

Eugh, but The Other is just so awful.

Glad you liked Kraven, though!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Langly wrote: »
    Ok so I was just thinking about magneto and had a question: can magneto feel or sense the presence of metal all the time, or just when he starts to try and manipulate magnetic fields? It would seem like having that all the time would fuck you up whenever you were in cities.
    Also, can he see the magnetic stuff he's manipulating? (The fields, obviously he can see the metal)

We don't know, for sure.

We know that, unaided, he's merged with the Earth's magnetic field. We know that he's omega-level, and fellow-omega Jean Grey was able to feel Xavier's pulse vibrating through a metal spoon she was telekinetically levitating (of course, this was during a Phoenix manifestation). We also know that Storm, who has a much lower degree of energy manipulation than Magneto (she's no omega) literally senses the flow of energy through weather systems (we saw it in an old X Men Unlimited).

So, it stands to reason he probably does sense metal most of the time (he probably can control this though), and that he can directly sense the fields.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Langly wrote: »

We don't know, for sure.

We know that, unaided, he's merged with the Earth's magnetic field. We know that he's omega-level, and fellow-omega Jean Grey was able to feel Xavier's pulse vibrating through a metal spoon she was telekinetically levitating (of course, this was during a Phoenix manifestation). We also know that Storm, who has a much lower degree of energy manipulation than Magneto (she's no omega) literally senses the flow of energy through weather systems (we saw it in an old X Men Unlimited).

So, it stands to reason he probably does sense metal most of the time (he probably can control this though), and that he can directly sense the fields.

Might be worth mentioning that after losing his powers, Avalanche was bitching about how he used to feel all of the movements of the earth at all time, but now he felt all alone.

kind of like the Storm example.

Evander on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    About 1 in 4

The sad* thing is that's pretty much about right

*Not sad at all, actually incredibly funny

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Storm isn't Omega? I know shes a god damn pussy but still, she doesn't just emit ice or fire, she controls the weather.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    well the story references the fact that in a recent story that Vermin was able to take on both Spider-Man and Captain America at the same time

I know it did, but it didn't actually seem like that should have been true the way he was presented. He was more of a source of pity than a threatening figure. I get that lone women on the street should be very scared of him, but not Spidey and definitely not Spidey plus Cap. So yeah, maybe if I'd seen the last fight rather than just being told about it then it would have made more sense.
    Virral wrote: »
    Virral, have you read Kraven's Last Hunt yet? 8-)

I sure have, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks man :D I thought it was really interesting to see Kraven getting all mystical with the Spider, it made me think about JMS' spider-totem stuff a LOT. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was one of the inspirations for the JMS stuff.

Probably the only thing about it that didn't really sit right for me was this idea that vermin was some kind of serious threat... he didn't seem like a serious threat, but I guess he had been in earlier issues? I can't say I'm that familiar with the character, but it made me wish I'd read more of the earlier issues.

Eugh, but The Other is just so awful.

Glad you liked Kraven, though!

Did I say The Other? :P I said his Spider-totem stuff, which is like his entire run before The Other. I didn't like the Other either, but I had been enjoying the totem stuff that came before it with Ezekiel etc.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Storm isn't Omega? I know shes a god damn pussy but still, she doesn't just emit ice or fire, she controls the weather.

Well, I can't remember an issue where they specifically identify her power level, but I know that she's definitely never been listed as omega. Moreover, at various points her command of the weather has been directly compared to Thor: whereas Thor (or rather, Mjolnir) can create weather, Storm can just redirect it. She's limited to moving energy in the system, whereas others (e.g. Magneto, Iceman, Jean Grey) actually create energy (or rather, introduce it into the system from some outside source).

Compare that to say, Iceman who is apparently a water elemental for all intents and purposes (identified as omega), Jean Grey who is apparently an avatar of one of the primal forces of creation (the Phoenix), or Magneto (who is similarly an avatar of magnetism).

mattharvest on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

Well, I can't remember an issue where they specifically identify her power level, but I know that she's definitely never been listed as omega. Moreover, at various points her command of the weather has been directly compared to Thor: whereas Thor (or rather, Mjolnir) can create weather, Storm can just redirect it. She's limited to moving energy in the system, whereas others (e.g. Magneto, Iceman, Jean Grey) actually create energy (or rather, introduce it into the system from some outside source).

Compare that to say, Iceman who is apparently a water elemental for all intents and purposes (identified as omega), Jean Grey who is apparently an avatar of one of the primal forces of creation (the Phoenix), or Magneto (who is similarly an avatar of magnetism).

actually, magneto is not an omega level mutant. he's quite powerful, but he doesn't create energy and he can't manipulate matter on a molecular level, or alter reality, or anything like that, which is typical of an omega-level mutant. he's an alpha-level mutant (like cyclops). a particularly powerful one, to be sure, but alpha all the same.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »

actually, magneto is not an omega level mutant. he's quite powerful, but he doesn't create energy and he can't manipulate matter on a molecular level, or alter reality, or anything like that, which is typical of an omega-level mutant. he's an alpha-level mutant (like cyclops). a particularly powerful one, to be sure, but alpha all the same.

It's funny, I could have sworn I remembered Magneto as being directly described as omega, so I started googling quickly. The first link I found was a discussion on CBR about this exact topic (i.e. is Storm an omega, and the resulting question of whether Magneto was). Here..

One of the posters provided the very panel I was thinking of:
    magsphoenix-1.jpg

It's not conclusive in the same way as all comic statements, i.e. that continuity is the whim of the particular writer, but I believe it's current that Storm's powers are sufficiently limited to be non-omega, whereas Magneto's limitations are a function of his mental and physical state of well-being more than anything else.

Edit: to provide context for that Xavier panel: Magneto opened a god-damned stable wormhole, that was so well-constructed that the surrounding gravitational distortion had no negative effects. That's energy manipulation orders of magnitude larger than the lifetime output of human civilization. Opening a wormhole through direct manipulation of EM is absurdly grander than anything he ever did before besides merging with the field.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still like to think that the current Magneto is just a Wanda construct.

According to wiki, the Omegas are Jean, Elixer, Iceman, Quire (when not dead), Vulcan, Franklin Richards, Mr. Immortal, and Mister M who may or may not be dead.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wait, so the opening wormhole things is cannon now? Because I recall a certain Supervillian Battle on this forum where that was in question.

In other words, has he opened a worm hole since X-Men: The End?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Immediatly pre-HoM, he wormholed from Genosha to NYC to take Wanda away.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Immediatly pre-HoM, he wormholed from Genosha to NYC to take Wanda away.

Doh... I totally forgot about that. Time for another villain battle. :D Mags was my favorite to win.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

According to wiki, the Omegas are Jean, Elixer, Iceman, Quire (when not dead), Vulcan, Franklin Richards, Mr. Immortal, and Mister M who may or may not be dead.

From that list I know Jean, Iceman, and Franklin Richards. Who the heck are the rest of those guys, and what've they done of importance?

Legba on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Legba wrote: »

From that list I know Jean, Iceman, and Franklin Richards. Who the heck are the rest of those guys, and what've they done of importance?

Quentin Quire lead the rebellion on Xavier School, then died. Then he died again.

Elixer is the New X-Men guy who can heal... or kill. He's kind of fucked up now.

Vulcan is Scott and Havock's brother. He's the Emperor of the Shi'ar now.

Mr. M is the guy who can just do anything. I think we last saw him right after House of M.

I don't really remember Mr. Immortal. He might be immortal though.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr. Immortal is more immortal than Jesus. He is the most immortal immortal.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Legba wrote: »

Elixer was in the New X-Men and is currently a tangental part of X-Force. He is completely gold and has the ability to heal things - to extreme degrees (ie: creating a new heart for a person). He also developed a secondary mutation that is essentially the opposite of his healing power (ie: can give cancer, etc.)

Quinten Quire was in Morrison's New X-Men run and from what I remember he was an insane telepath. He's dead now though.

Vulcan is Cyclop's and Havoc's long lost brother and part of the original X-Men Xavier sent to Krakoa. He is an energy manipulator I think.

Mr. Immortal is the leader of the GLA. He can't die.

Mister M was also an energy manipulator. In fact I think he was very similar to Vulcan. He was a cool character that was the leader of mutant town. He died like a chump.

edit: Beaten like a cheap whore

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    what Quentin Qire was omega level? Why did he need kick then

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what Quentin Qire was omega level? Why did he need kick then

I was kind of wondering the same thing.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mr. Immortal is more immortal than Jesus. He is the most immortal immortal.

Basically, every time you kill Mr. Immortal, he comes back. But it's not just rebirth: he's been told by cosmic entities that he will live to see the death of the universe, which has implications for him potentially being the Galactus of the next universe.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, right, Vulcan is the Summers brother who's never there. I kinda remember him. Sort of. And now I remember Quire. He was quite cool (but then, almost all of New X-Men was great) although... Omega level? Really? Maybe with Kick in his system...

Legba on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He was still a kid. Jean Grey and Ice Man weren't that impressive at his age either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah... I think Phoenix: Endsong is where you find out he was Omega level.

And come on, Fakeneto needed Kick and he was entirely a construct of Wanda's imagination... i guess.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fakeneto didn't need Kick really, he was just being controlled by Sublime

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fakeneto didn't need Kick really, he was just being controlled by Sublime

No one needs kick... it's just amazingly delicious.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kick: the Skittles of the Marvel universe.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    He was still a kid. Jean Grey and Ice Man weren't that impressive at his age either.

Plus Iceman is somewhat intentionally holding himself back, he has Omega potential but rarely if ever actually operates at that level.

Gambit is similar, he had Omega potential as an energy manipulator, but had Sinister limit his powers to their current level.

Scooter on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    "Omega" level - Fabian and Grant should both be kicked in the nuts for that one.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

And come on, Fakeneto needed Kick and he was entirely a construct of Wanda's imagination... i guess.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I could swear we find that out right after the whole arc of him taking over the school, when Beast puts him in that special chamber and he starts turning into a being of pure thought. Or am I confusing that with the very arc you're talking about?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I don't have the book in front of me, but I could swear we find that out right after the whole arc of him taking over the school, when Beast puts him in that special chamber and he starts turning into a being of pure thought. Or am I confusing that with the very arc you're talking about?

You must be, because I never read the New X-Men run that had him in it. My first introduction to him was Endsong and Wiki. But maybe they said it there too?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, they said it in Morrison's run, being I haven't read Endsong and I knew it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    98005789745.1.GIF

Introduced the "Omega" mutant concept.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

You're right Matt, it was right after he took over the school and started the riot.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hated that arc

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It was alright but yeah not the best. BTW Bale I'm getting my New Xmen Vol3 today, so excited. I finally get to finish Morrison's run

smokmnky on
This discussion has been closed.