Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX 2071! (A Shadowrun Phalla) GAME OVER. Runners win!

1626364656668»

Posts

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    Yes, because trusting you never gets anyone killed because you slept through vote close.

    :|
    Sleep is the enemy. It's always a mistake to sleep, that's when you die.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    Yes, because trusting you never gets anyone killed because you slept through vote close.

    :|
    Sleep is the enemy. It's always a mistake to sleep, that's when you die.

    I haven't slept since 1804.

    Drez on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    piL wrote: »
    Who killed izuvan and why?

    edit - everyone should always trust me

    I was so scared you were going to bandwagon me on day one.

    That was all Thorgot asking me to say what I said on day one. Dun Dun Dun

    M.D. on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I try to treat new players as if they're anyone else.

    If they act suspicious in any way, I will use a kill/bandwagon them in a heartbeat.

    And sometimes they fight back :winky:

    Gumpy on
  • TrueNeverbornTrueNeverborn Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Thanks to everyone, had a blast and am just ecstatic that I was able to keep to every promise.

    TrueNeverborn on
    So if you love games and I love games... Why are we not playing... **sees the forum** OOOOHHHH Yeh!
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've previously made the fatal mistake of letting new players get by because I figured they posed no threat. Never again.

    On the bright side, it shows why taking out the veterans early is not always a surefire strategy. The new players catch on quicker that way.

    cj iwakura on
    9LlOwgn.png
    Well, good morning. Welcome to the new scenario. What should we do today?
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Darian wrote: »
    Yes, because trusting you never gets anyone killed because you slept through vote close.

    :|
    Sleep is the enemy. It's always a mistake to sleep, that's when you die.

    I haven't slept since 1804.

    Nor shaved since then, apparently.

    Oats on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Cause Vets are not nice. *L*

    I don't know...manipulating extremely new players seems somewhat in poor taste..

    This is not something I agree with. I mean I certainly feel guilty about it later, but like I said, each game is its own game, which cuts both ways.

    Really, phalla is all about psychology and social engineering. It's not exactly "meta" to carry the skills you've cultivated in multiple previous games over to a new one. And I think avoiding noobs is a bad idea. I was leery of killing Crownaxe because I didn't want to kill some dude that has like 30 posts total in his entire PA career. But then I realized that was a mistake (plus Gumpy suggested him as a target - in fact, I forgot, I recommended The_Reflection kill Lynx over Crownaxe which was damned dumb on my part).

    Well I guess the same applies to what I'm about to say. By manipulate I meant more of the epic stuff of say gaining their trust through multiple pms and getting info from them under false pretenses and then selling them out.

    I think killing is pretty ok (not great to do early on;eg day 1). Its more of...I hate to say this...Toxic Toys type stuff that I would feel bad about.. Actually I would feel bad about that with any player- but thats because I'm a pansy 8-)

    Egos on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Setting new players up for an epic backstab or for them to be a patsy is the best thing.

    The best thing.

    TehSpectre on
    Sloth_Sig.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Setting new players up for an epic backstab or for them to be a patsy is the best thing.

    The best thing.
    Egos wrote: »
    I'm a pansy 8-)

    :mrgreen:

    Egos on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, so this game is over eh? :D Man, end of term has been kicking my ass and I'm trying to recover some foul-ups.

    I had an exam this morning. No wait, I messed up my schedule and it was actually yesterday morning and I missed it. D: Waiting now for word on how fucked I am.

    I haven't read all the post game kudos/complaints/banter much yet, but I had fun with the early game and helping Z cope, having to cover for you that one day was no problem dude. :^:
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Pregame alliances have never created a huge impact on any game I've played.

    If you have a problem with it, make sure to add a rule to your OP specifically forbidding it.

    Also, if you didn't notice that while Krata and Ahava had an alliance, they both lied to eachother. Ahava said she'd guard a bug when she was guarding Gumpy/Drez and Krata lied to her about his alliance.

    It just adds another subterfuge factor.

    In the end, one of them would have ratted they other out if they truly suspected the other of being evil. The only game I worked with an evil guy when I was good was during the Disgaea phalla and we almost got him converted.

    Note that he didn't tell us about his teammates and we ended up killing him halfway through the game.

    (<3 Infidel, I still think we would've been able to convert you had Zot not jumped the gun)

    He even knew the name of a good special and didn't rat that out to his team.

    <3 Spectre.

    The only reason we were able to actually attempt to keep our pregame was because the game specifically had a mechanic that allowed us to change the mechanics. We were going for our own win condition. It was great fun.

    In general, pregames get you in more trouble than they're worth often. They're still a lot of fun if you have some kind of notion behind them. If you think they're game breaking, well you're not thinking about the whole uninformed majority informed minority bit, because people will lie and manipulate and you're back to square one.

    Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Hey, so this game is over eh? :D Man, end of term has been kicking my ass and I'm trying to recover some foul-ups.

    I had an exam this morning. No wait, I messed up my schedule and it was actually yesterday morning and I missed it. D: Waiting now for word on how fucked I am.

    I haven't read all the post game kudos/complaints/banter much yet, but I had fun with the early game and helping Z cope, having to cover for you that one day was no problem dude. :^:
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Pregame alliances have never created a huge impact on any game I've played.

    If you have a problem with it, make sure to add a rule to your OP specifically forbidding it.

    Also, if you didn't notice that while Krata and Ahava had an alliance, they both lied to eachother. Ahava said she'd guard a bug when she was guarding Gumpy/Drez and Krata lied to her about his alliance.

    It just adds another subterfuge factor.

    In the end, one of them would have ratted they other out if they truly suspected the other of being evil. The only game I worked with an evil guy when I was good was during the Disgaea phalla and we almost got him converted.

    Note that he didn't tell us about his teammates and we ended up killing him halfway through the game.

    (<3 Infidel, I still think we would've been able to convert you had Zot not jumped the gun)

    He even knew the name of a good special and didn't rat that out to his team.

    <3 Spectre.

    The only reason we were able to actually attempt to keep our pregame was because the game specifically had a mechanic that allowed us to change the mechanics. We were going for our own win condition. It was great fun.

    In general, pregames get you in more trouble than they're worth often. They're still a lot of fun if you have some kind of notion behind them. If you think they're game breaking, well you're not thinking about the whole uninformed majority informed minority bit, because people will lie and manipulate and you're back to square one.


    You may be able to do a makeup exam, contact your professor immediately Infidel! Before it's too late =(

    VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I already did but no reply yet, the professor has always been pretty good with me so I'm hoping I can straighten it all out. But like I said it's the waiting game right now and stressful as hell. :(

    Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    =( Ack. =( I hope it works out =(

    VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    I already did but no reply yet, the professor has always been pretty good with me so I'm hoping I can straighten it all out. But like I said it's the waiting game right now and stressful as hell. :(

    If you can drop by their office and talk to them in person (office hours?), it will be much more effective.

    I've sent emails before to professors that were ignored. :x

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Darian wrote: »
    Yes, because trusting you never gets anyone killed because you slept through vote close.

    :|
    Sleep is the enemy. It's always a mistake to sleep, that's when you die.

    I haven't slept since 1804.

    That's why you're so pissy mid-game sometimes.

    sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry I'm late, but thanks for hosting this one Zellpher! It was fun.

    Wildcat on
Sign In or Register to comment.