Options

Scribblenauts: summon chicken hats in-game. Also IRL when you pre-order.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    I expect that many, many hyper-specific words will simply default to something like "chemical" or "acid" or whatever.

Uranium, plutonium, and other radioactive shit will probably just appear as rocks that kill you.

What about tungsten?

I demand this game have tungsten in it.
    do we want to take bets on whether writing "Saturn" or "Jupiter" will make a point appear in the sky above, or summon a giant crushing gargantuan planet that flattens everything?

Screw that, I want those words to summon Greek gods.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I will summon a large pool of water and then a block of cesium to solve every puzzle.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want a level where you have to kill a god.

Mistletoe would do it, but so would writing "Disbelief", I guess.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If I write blood, is a bottle deposited at my feet, or does it rain from the heavens?

If I write virus, does the main character feel sick, or does the screen glitch out and the game freezes?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i want to say you guys are being stupid, but the whole point of this game is to be creative...

so virus:
    virus- drag it on yourself, you get sick
    ambulance- ambulance sees you're sick, picks you up
    hospital- put hospital on the other side of a previously impassable path (river, wall, whatever) ambulance does whatever it can to get you to the hospital. which you placed next to the star.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If I write my name, do I disappear from this earthly world?

GimeC on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I expect that many, many hyper-specific words will simply default to something like "chemical" or "acid" or whatever.

Uranium, plutonium, and other radioactive shit will probably just appear as rocks that kill you.

What about tungsten?

do we want to take bets on whether writing "Saturn" or "Jupiter" will make a point appear in the sky above, or summon a giant crushing gargantuan planet that flattens everything?

That would be weird, because those are Roman names.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

What about tungsten?

That would be weird, because those are Roman names.

Shit, I knew I'd get it wrong since I was too lazy to double check.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is brilliant - it's like Boy & his Blob taken to the 100th level. I can't wait to give this one a try. I would imagine that just going through all the animals alone would be a huge undertaking - I was thinking that I'd solve every puzzle with a pony or unicorn but then it dawned on me just in that category you'd probably have multiple options - horse, pony, donkey, unicorn, zebra, pegasus.

I can't even fathom what the brainstorming sessions developing this game would look like!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    GimeC wrote: »
    If I write my name, do I disappear from this earthly world?

Only if you think of your face so that someone with the same name doesn't get it.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tiger Child Tornado Lockup
    Id: 258760
    Category: Code Defect
    Severity: 1
    Priority: 2
    Repro Steps:
    Summon a tiger, ice cream and a child. Have the child ride the tiger while eating the ice cream. Spawn a tornado, then a blizzard.

Expected behavior: Frozen, twirling child on tiger.
    Actual behavior: Game locks up.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This will be awesome <3

PS - Are Lock's Quest and Drawn to Life this good? :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yes the playtesting for this is going to be monstrous.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This will be awesome <3

PS - Are Lock's Quest and Drawn to Life this good? :D

I didn't really care for Drawn to Life, only because I felt the platforming was a bit loose. Lock's Quest, however, is fantastic. If you like Tower Defense games even a little, then it's a must-buy, imho.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mm, I'll have to do a run using only demons on unicorns. I hope this turns out more complex than Drawn to Life as far as the gameplay goes, but it's already a better concept.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As for the ghost on a snowmobile, I know personally, anything that involves a vehicle will always be driven by the largest rodent on Earth, the capybara.

After I figure out what is needed to complete a puzzle, I will then make the capybara go carry it out. I will write "Throne" and "Crown" at the beginning of every level, and sit my ass down. Then, I will enjoy watching the Capybara go get the star and bring it back to me.

I will beat this game and my little dude will never move a muscle.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AlexEAlexE Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At some point I know I'm going to try writing DeLorean so that I can punch that shit to 88 and go back to the beginning of the game.:P

AlexE on
    style2,Alex.png
    PSN:AlexE777
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My first trial might be bread + butter + cat + stapler.

Actually I am a little pissed at them for doing this first...I was going to make a roguelike where you can fight anything. Although that would be just text but also include adjectives. And I would do my best to include vulgar materials and such rousing battles as ethnocentrism.

It really isn't too bad when you consider every worldly object has a series of universal attributes.

Is it flammable?
    Is it edible?
    Does it sink in water?
    Is it sentient?
    Is it throwable?

Ad nauseum.
    That is pretty much how it works according to the interview..
    When I told him the idea from the beginning other programmers would have backed away from the idea and said "How are we going to do this?" or "No, this is impossible." But he was just like "Yeah, we can handle this. We can tackle this concept." So he got started on a system where everything in the game can be data-driven. We've got this tool that we created in-house called "Objectnaut", so now designers can put in any name of any object, and put in all sorts of data. We're talking AI properties, physical properties, attraction and repulsion to other objects, weight, size, where it splits, can you pick it up, is it flammable or how do elements effect it… really all these things that you need. We're spending a great deal of time just imputing tons and tons of these objects, and once we flesh it all out with this Objectnaut system, we have a hierarchy of data.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder what happens if you enter transexual.
    Meatspin tornado?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I wonder what happens if you enter transexual.
    Meatspin tornado?

You get teleported instantly to Transylvania, of course.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Actually I am a little pissed at them for doing this first...I was going to make a roguelike where you can fight anything. Although that would be just text but also include adjectives. And I would do my best to include vulgar materials and such rousing battles as ethnocentrism.

It really isn't too bad when you consider every worldly object has a series of universal attributes.

Is it flammable?
    Is it edible?
    Does it sink in water?
    Is it sentient?
    Is it throwable?

Ad nauseum.
    When I told him the idea from the beginning other programmers would have backed away from the idea and said "How are we going to do this?" or "No, this is impossible." But he was just like "Yeah, we can handle this. We can tackle this concept." So he got started on a system where everything in the game can be data-driven. We've got this tool that we created in-house called "Objectnaut", so now designers can put in any name of any object, and put in all sorts of data. We're talking AI properties, physical properties, attraction and repulsion to other objects, weight, size, where it splits, can you pick it up, is it flammable or how do elements effect it… really all these things that you need. We're spending a great deal of time just imputing tons and tons of these objects, and once we flesh it all out with this Objectnaut system, we have a hierarchy of data.

Yeah, I had read that. People look at this as being nearly insurmountable but in the end it's just a bunch of very easy data entry with what will end up being a pretty limited scope of interaction (when the scope is every earthly action that can be performed).

Still it is very neat and original.

Another idea I had for this sort of thing ages ago would be to get all this data sorted and listed, and make a big reusable game object library that can import into any future game. Why reprogram all these attributes every time? The graphics could be totally different but it would be enough for the physics engine to know that a barrel is a container, is flammable, can withstand so much pressure before breaking etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Is it flammable?
    Is it edible?
    Does it sink in water?
    Is it sentient?
    Is it throwable?

Ad nauseum.

Yeah, I had read that. People look at this as being nearly insurmountable but in the end it's just a bunch of very easy data entry with what will end up being a pretty limited scope of interaction (when the scope is every earthly action that can be performed).

Still it is very neat and original.

Another idea I had for this sort of thing ages ago would be to get all this data sorted and listed, and make a big reusable game object library that can import into any future game. Why reprogram all these attributes every time? The graphics could be totally different but it would be enough for the physics engine to know that a barrel is a container, is flammable, can withstand so much pressure before breaking etc.

Sporky, I think the limitation there is the DS hardware. The idea of sets of items that have different interactions is very interesting though. I might have to go check this out. But I could totally see some sort of garrys mod mixed into this kind of gameplay for the pc. Something thats expandable and able to access large sets of items.

It would be nice to actually have a game where the solution to the problem actually fits what you would do in real life . I've always hated the limited amount of choices that are presented to me, even in sandbox games there it a bit too much of a linear plot line going on. I digress.

This would be perfect for a sandbox-create your own adventure PC game.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I'm guessing they won't be including "penis" or "boobs". So much for having everything in the game. :P

Penis is the first thing I would write too. That or noose.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Roshin wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I'm guessing they won't be including "penis" or "boobs". So much for having everything in the game. :P

Penis is the first thing I would write too. That or noose.

"Nude Bisexual Hooker Commando Team"

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Properties: Sometimes Hard

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder if you can summon up historical/fictional persons to the plan. Like, get Tarzan to climb up the tree for you. Or Hannibal of Carthage on an elephant to knock over the tree so you can pick up the star.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wonder if you can summon up historical/fictional persons to the plan. Like, get Tarzan to climb up the tree for you. Or Hannibal of Carthage on an elephant to knock over the tree so you can pick up the star.

Those would be proper nouns and thus disallowed. You also cannot write Super Nintendo, Obama, or Eiffel Tower.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Those would be proper nouns and thus disallowed. You also cannot write Super Nintendo, Obama, or Eiffel Tower.

You know someone is going to enter Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Damn. I wanted to write in parliament and guy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »

You know someone is going to enter Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

That would be easy to include. Just lump it in with all the other life-threatening illnesses and have the little player character cough up blood and die.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What happens if I input "soul"? How well will this game cover philosophical concepts, that's what I want to know.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    What happens if I input "soul"? How well will this game cover philosophical concepts, that's what I want to know.

Probably summons a ghost. They don't cover philosophical concepts.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to input delicious

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ITT we learn just how many PA'ers don't know what a noun is.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    It'll just do candy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    It'll just do candy.

Or penis.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This game looks awesome. I know Godzilla won't work, but would the Japanese version allow Kaiju to work?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dammit. I fucked up my joke anyways.

I'm going to input what.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kotaku's got a gameplay video and an interesting article

http://kotaku.com/5242505/death-and-punishment-in-scribblenauts
    Typing in noose didn't give me a rope with a loop, instead it gave me full gallows. Iron Maiden? A little deathbox popped up on screen. Gun: check. Poison: check. Guillotine: check.

Holy shit.

Green on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Green wrote: »
    Kotaku's got a gameplay video and an interesting article

http://kotaku.com/5242505/death-and-punishment-in-scribblenauts
    Typing in noose didn't give me a rope with a loop, instead it gave me full gallows. Iron Maiden? A little deathbox popped up on screen. Gun: check. Poison: check. Guillotine: check.

Holy shit.

So fucking sold.

Zerokku on