Options

Scribblenauts: summon chicken hats in-game. Also IRL when you pre-order.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Green wrote: »
    Kotaku's got a gameplay video and an interesting article

http://kotaku.com/5242505/death-and-punishment-in-scribblenauts
    Typing in noose didn't give me a rope with a loop, instead it gave me full gallows. Iron Maiden? A little deathbox popped up on screen. Gun: check. Poison: check. Guillotine: check.

Holy shit.

So fucking sold.

Note the little Gordon Freeman glasses when the guy types "Crowbar".

I will murder people for this game if I have to.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fucking work, fucking filters, mumble mumble.

I'll have to look up that kotaku article at home :|

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the video doesn't have much
    EXCEPT BULLDOZING A WHALE OFF A BEACH INTO THE OCEAN THEN RIDING THE WHALE INTO THE SEA

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder how many more game/movie/book references there are like the Freeman crowbar. Like, do you get red overalls and a cap when you type 'plumber'?

learntofly on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just want to know the extent of animals I can summon. Or dinosaurs.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »

According to the designers? Every animal and dinosaur you can name.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »

That is ridiculous. This game just moved to number one on my want list.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »

That is ridiculous. This game just moved to number one on my want list.

Pretty much they've had the engine done for like a year already or something, and have spent that time going through dictionaries and encyclopedias adding every non-trademarked/vulgar thing therein.

And they interact via traits, so, if you if you summon a raptor, you also get meat, a stick, and string, hang the meat from the stick with the string, and ride the raptor around.

I believe that was in one of the early videos near the beginning of the thread. I can't wait to see what they've come up with since then.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I might well have to buy this thing, I suppose.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I wonder how detailed an item has to be before it registers. Like, I can imagine someone with terrible art skills having a hard time with complicated drawings.

On the other hand, I guess they could just draw something simple to solve the problem.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You write the names of objects. No drawing involved.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder how detailed an item has to be before it registers. Like, I can imagine someone with terrible art skills having a hard time with complicated drawings.

On the other hand, I guess they could just draw something simple to solve the problem.

Nonono, you don't draw the item, you just write the word.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy crap, these people have earned my business. The crowbar absolutely shocked me. I'm stoked as hell to see what other kinds of humorous references they'll include.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    learntofly wrote: »
    Freeman crowbar
    It's just a crowbar
    The crowbar absolutely shocked me. I'm stoked as hell to see what other kinds of humorous references they'll include.

what is wrong with your people? D:

it's irking me that you're pidgeonholing it into "humorous refernces" when this game is all about anything being possible. It's not a humorous reference because they purposely put a crowbar in the game; it's a humorous reference because YOU conjured up a crowbar and a HEV suit look alike to make your own reference.

and that's why i think this game is freaking awesome. all about making your own thing.

... unless i'm wrong about this crowbar that's unique in that it's a HL2 crowbar. But I'm sure red/gray crowbars are pretty standard.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Freeman crowbar
    It's just a crowbar
    The crowbar absolutely shocked me. I'm stoked as hell to see what other kinds of humorous references they'll include.

what is wrong with your people? D:

it's irking me that you're pidgeonholing it into "humorous refernces" when this game is all about anything being possible. It's not a humorous reference because they purposely put a crowbar in the game; it's a humorous reference because YOU conjured up a crowbar and a HEV suit look alike to make your own reference.

and that's why i think this game is freaking awesome. all about making your own thing.

... unless i'm wrong about this crowbar that's unique in that it's a HL2 crowbar. But I'm sure red/gray crowbars are pretty standard.

someone said something about getting glasses that look like Freeman's. I haven't seen the video yet, though.
    e: Yeah, you get glasses

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    by typing in crowbar?

man guitar and glasses. i love how this game makes a humorous reference to wheezer

glasses and suit. oh shit they make references to the new price is right

crowbar, hard hat, toolbox, overalls. hahahahahahaha they even programed in bob the builder!

no, you're making the references; not the game

i'm trying to say it was probably kotaku who made the reference by making the character have the items to look like freeman. not the game.

note to self: put on a sword and trenchcoat and 50 belts before writing in meteor

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think you're taking it a little more personally than necessary. I didn't see kotaku type 'HEV suit' or 'glasses.' All I saw was 'crowbar.' This just made me assume that the extra stuff is 'included' when you type crowbar.

I apologize if I offended your sensibilities, but I thought the programmers just had a really cool sense of humor, and that's what I was saying. If I was wrong, that doesn't really change the fact that the game still looks awesome, or that some people are more easily entertained than you are.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yeah, i'm definately buying this game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Even though there will probably be "Cheat words" discovered in no time, this is worth it just for fucking around with the engine and all the stuff in it.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you write the name of the game, I think it should instantly reset to the title screen.
    as a punishment for being a smartass.

in all seriousness, this is the only DS game I'm actually excited about at the moment. Even if it presents no challenge whatsoever, just mucking about with the engine should be worth the price of admission.

Tig on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This looks awesome, another reason to get a DS.

And Sheep, stop smoking while posting.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    by typing in crowbar?

man guitar and glasses. i love how this game makes a humorous reference to wheezer

crowbar, hard hat, toolbox, overalls. hahahahahahaha they even programed in bob the builder!

i'm trying to say it was probably kotaku who made the reference by making the character have the items to look like freeman. not the game.

note to self: put on a sword and trenchcoat and 50 belts before writing in meteor

Yeah you look exactly like Gordon Freeman when you summon a crowbar. Costume change is included. Check out the vids linked earlier in the thread.

o_O

learntofly on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    by typing in crowbar?

Yeah you look exactly like Gordon Freeman when you summon a crowbar. Costume change is included. Check out the vids linked earlier in the thread.

o_O

That's an assumption. The video cut around a lot, it wasn't clear that a crowbar makes you look like Freeman. In fact I'd assume it doesn't, because of the fact that the game is so customizable; they wouldn't force any outfits on you that you didn't ask for yourself. I have a feeling the guy in that video dressed up like that on purpose.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    gun powder + uranium + fire = ?

If they have uranium, I am going to make a nuke.

Volcano + Meteor = ?

Pot + Water
    = ?
    Wood + Fire

Lux782 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder how they'll handle homographs.

Like if I write "Bass" do I get a fish or a guitar? If I write "conductor" do I get I get something electricity can pass through or a man waving a baton? Though I guess in that 2nd example both meanings would be fulfilled, hehe.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ideally? They would use context-sensitivity to give you the alternative with maximum humor value and minimum effect on the current puzzle.

Or the other way. :-P

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No, just had a thought. Ideally, for every homograph they'd combine them. So if I wrote "bass" I'd get a fish-guitar.

A FISH-GUITAR.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    So is this a platformer or do you scribbles in words and watch the results?

The former seems more feasible since the latter would require so much many animations. So many.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Its a platformer in which you write words to get objects to help you complete an area. The videos should clear up some things.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kotaku wrote:
    Typing in noose didn't give me a rope with a loop, instead it gave me full gallows. Iron Maiden? A little deathbox popped up on screen. Gun: check. Poison: check. Guillotine: check. Wolverine: check, though prodding the little creature didn't make it go berserk. Pillory? Finally stumped.

No pillory? Fuck that shit.

Maybe it'll be DLC.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    Its a platformer in which you write words to get objects to help you complete an area. The videos should clear up some things.

Is it really a platformer? Is there a jump button? Are their long levels with mutliple scenerios? What is the level structure like? I'm not being a smart-ass. I'm really inquiring.

This is the best idea ever. Do we have a release date yet? Does it even have a publisher, yet?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited May 2009

Is it really a platformer? Is there a jump button? Are their long levels with mutliple scenerios? What is the level structure like? I'm not being a smart-ass. I'm really inquiring.

This is the best idea ever. Do we have a release date yet? Does it even have a publisher, yet?

You should watch videos and read about it if you're so interested! :) IGN has done a few interviews and writeups and early videos show what the whole game is about.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You should watch videos and read about it if you're so interested! :) IGN has done a few interviews and writeups and early videos show what the whole game is about.

I had read a bit about it, but every article seems to only talk about the endless possibilities, and not really how the game plays out.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    edited May 2009

I had read a bit about it, but every article seems to only talk about the endless possibilities, and not really how the game plays out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnsOx9Akcc

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnsOx9Akcc

I've seen that video, but it still doesn't tell me much about how the game progresses. Is there anything you can do other than conjure up items and drag and drop? Not that it matters, really. Day one purchase.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "HYDROCYANIC ACID"

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kotaku wrote:
    Typing in noose didn't give me a rope with a loop, instead it gave me full gallows. Iron Maiden? A little deathbox popped up on screen. Gun: check. Poison: check. Guillotine: check. Wolverine: check, though prodding the little creature didn't make it go berserk. Pillory? Finally stumped.

Maybe it'll be DLC.

maybe stocks?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Kotaku wrote:

Maybe it'll be DLC.

maybe stocks?

*BZZZT*

IT'S A FRIGGING HAMMER!

Rent on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tube + Glue + Silver Nozzle + Hydrogen Peroxide = Jet Pack!

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Water + Potassium = BOOM

Antimatter on