Options

Scribblenauts: summon chicken hats in-game. Also IRL when you pre-order.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    It'd be hard to put out a demo without basically giving people the whole game.

Yeah but at the same time the DS doesn't have any sort of way to store that demo so people would have to shut the DS off at some point, unless they never ever wanted to play another game again.

Let's be honest here, after Scribblenauts comes out, do any other DS games matter?

Well, there is Spirit Tracks...

Tunic
    green dye
    sword
    fairy
    boomerang
    railroad
    werewolf
    manbearpig
    imp
    ocarina
    grappling hook
    bow and arrow
    longboat
    Roc

I'm thinking we could make any Zelda game we want.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just read that Giant Enemy Crab is in the game.

The trailer sold me on this as soon as I saw it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been watching this game for a while, but the footage coming out of E3 is really selling me on it. I desperately need to come up with a reason to not buy a DS just for this game.

I suspect this thread is not going to deliver.

area on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I just thought of something I can't wait to try.

Spawn a shark.

Create a "laser beam".

See if I can attach it to the shark's head.

(note: I might have to put "friggin'" before "laser beam")

Isn't it already confirmed that you can create glue and glue objects together?

Shark
    Glue
    Laser Beam

done

Tig on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Oh god that god vs kraken vid.

I need to get a DS now.
    He said that Death Killed God which seems wrong.

I wonder if after that it unlocks the ability to type "Nietzsche"

Bedlam on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »

I need to get a DS now.

I wonder if after that it unlocks the ability to type "Nitsche"

that is the worst misspelling of Nietzsche I have ever seen.

Also I imagine you can type Nietzsche from the beginning and he'll show up

Khavall on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not obscure words i want to know if it can handle. It's the mundane ones that will be hard to represent in a single object.

Tattoo, Armpit, Corner, Smile, Wrinkle, etc

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Personally I am most surprised at everyone saying they're going to buy a DS for this. Really? I mean it does look amazing, but the dozens of other awesome games just weren't enough? I can't even pinpoint one or two games that are the main reasons I love my DS. The library is just packed full of great games.

Ok, ok, everyone's got different tastes, I forgive you guys. It just makes me think...damn.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not obscure words i want to know if it can handle. It's the mundane ones that will be hard to represent in a single object.

Tattoo was confirmed on Joystiq as being a sheet of temporary tattoos.

cytorak on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cytorak wrote: »

Tattoo was confirmed on Joystiq as being a sheet of temporary tattoos.

I wish to see what sort of puzzle these tattoos could possibly solve.

The smile could be some sort of yellow smiley face button perhaps.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

I need to get a DS now.

Blame Google or yourself.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

I need to get a DS now.

Blame Google or yourself.

but if you type "nitsche" into google the first result is the wikipedia article on the correctly spelled Nietzsche

The second is the correctly spelled Erik Nitsche but since he was "a pioneer in the design of books, annual reports, and other printed material that relied on meticulous attention to the details of page composition" I assume you weren't talking about him

Khavall on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    God's weakness is meticulously detailed annual reports.

Guy may be omnipotent but can't stand paperwork.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

There's a mean joke about accountants hidden somewhere in there.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OK, so I've been super excited for this game. Any game that brings together interesting new technology with game design wisdom and creativity really fascinates me. Despite what I'm about to say, this will still be a day-one purchase. Seriously. I will call game stores multiple times, and go make a special trip to the store for this game. Last game I did that for was GTA IV.

I'm just trying to imagine what it will feel like to be bored of this game. All games eventually get boring. Either the possibility space is too vast and not differentiated enough -- the player feels there's nothing significant left to learn from the game -- or you exhaust the possibility space and all that's left are copies of nouns that play exactly the same as what you've already seen.

The mock trouble ticket about tornados and blizzards above seems to speak to this. Even if they have both a general object model and some kind of bytecode scripting language for custom behaviors with other objects (so people can LOL at special God + Nietzsche behavior, etc.) eventually you'll have seen every combination of objects there is.

Sure it may take 40 or 60 hours to get bored of this game -- so it will be well worth the purchase -- but I'm sure it will eventually happen. Personally I think it'll be awesome to have completely grokked this game. Either people will be left thinking "now someone needs to do that again, but enhance or fix X, Y, and Z" or we'll be thinking "I can't wait to see this same thing done in a 3D environment or in another game."

That's what was on my mind when I woke up today, and I felt like sharing. At first my enthusiasm was tempered a bit by "all games eventually get boring" but this will still be an awesome game.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the answer to boredom will be somewhere in this thread.

I totally agree with you, that at some point you'll just be too tired of typing in animals and stuff and the novelty will wear off.

But the ability to share custom levels will change this. Like any game with user created content, there will be shitty levels that make no sense at all. Someone will make a level where you need a bear to use a wrench to pop a beach ball, and it will suck because NO ONE will ever come up with that combination.

But with the community here, I can see a couple people really latching on to the humor we all seem to share, and the intenet memes and all that, and making some really brilliant and innovative levels. And hopefully there's a way to save your levels WITHOUT sharing them, because I'd love for some people here to create 10-20 new stages, and release a "pack" all at once to play through.

Some of the epic rules we come up with (for example, beavers used in some capacity every time!) would work really well in the custom levels, and would be fun.

I also could see making levels based around one item. For example - beavers. I can make a custom beaver, who hates popsicles, but loves Ice Cream. Also, he's really flammable and can drive vehicles. He will be very friendly with bees and insects, but hates any sort of aquatic animals. Also, he knows how to shoot a pistol, but is horrible with any explosives.

Now, I make levels based around that skill set, and release my BEAVER LEVEL PACKS. It would take everyone a long time to figure out how the beaver I created works - because the sill set is totally unique to the beaver I made. And then using what you find out about him to solve the puzzles I tailored to him. The only thing would be just making sure everyone understands you need to type Beaver first when using my levels.

I would just love those conversations.
    "I thought beavers could drive a boat? I'm stuck in Larry's Level Pack."
    "No, only mxmarks' beaver packs can drive boats. Larry's are afraid of boats, and will attack them. His beavers must use hang gliders."

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it's that deep. I'm not sure.

Didn't hear about custom levels though. Are those confirmed?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All I know is, you better be able to glue a tyrannosaurus into an F-14.

Generic fighter jet is acceptable, but not great.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

There's a mean joke about accountants hidden somewhere in there.

I would have thought God would hate meticulous filing systems what with the devil being inside the details.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it's that deep. I'm not sure.

Didn't hear about custom levels though. Are those confirmed?
    A level editor and sharing them online is confirmed though there will be friend codes (there's a 5-page article in the latest NP). As for GAF, the creative director/co-founder of 5th Cell posts in the Scribblenauts thread.

From the NP article
    GAF wrote:
    Wait a minute, I'm an idiot. I just realized I HAVE that issue of Nintendo Power; they were giving it away on the show floor. I'll update this post with anything interesting I find.

Updates:
    - This article says there are 280 stages, not 220. Awesome.
    - At one point, the creative lead on the game found a bug in which he placed two bunnies on the field, and they reproduced infinitely and eventually crashed the game.
    - Another bug he found: an elephant picked up a bazooka with its trunk and started firing wildly. Oh my GOD. That's a bug?! Leave it in!
    - The currency system is in "Ollars". You can buy new levels, avatars, and music.
    - FUCK YES ONLINE LEVEL SHARING CONFIRMED. Friend Codes and all, but what-the-fuck-ever.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just realized something.

I better be able to spawn jack thompson. That alone will give like five hours of gameplay.

Raslin on

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really hope they don't fix that bug with the bazooka.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm at risk of going offtopic here, because all of this is only slightly related to the game, I feel.

I don't know that challenges made by other users will be as much fun, though. Play has to be meaningful for people to want to engage in it. If I'm playing with the challenges already designed into the game, my desire to understand a new technology or game mechanic will drive me to master the game and probably exhaust all of the built-in challenges. I'll want to have all of the experiences the designers intended users to have, because I trust them to make interesting challenges which highlight different uses of their technology.

For me to care about user-created levels or challenges enough to do them, they'd have to either be made by someone I know personally -- so I would care because it'd give us something to talk about and bond over -- or there would have to be some community or forum thread to participate in, and I'd have to want to be in that group. ("Want to be in that group" isn't quite what I mean, but I don't know how to express "membership in a semiotic domain" in normal human language.)

Also, I think some of that user-content-generation would be too complex to expose to users in a mainstream game. Sure, lists of 'hate and love' items could be easy to implement, and they could give you check-boxes for different properties to apply. Truly complicated behaviors, like the way a firework's fuse burns for a while and then sets off the main body, would need to be scripted. That's if you wanted, say, a flammable beaver whose tail and main body acts like a fuse and firework (or something with more kaboom.)

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    I just realized something.

I better be able to spawn jack thompson. That alone will give like five hours of gameplay.
    Misspelled word: J A C K _ T H O M P S O N _ _ _ _ _ _

Did you mean?
    . . . insert list of ironic and rude suggestions here

:-P

mspencer on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so, uh. when is this game coming out?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    so, uh. when is this game coming out?

Somewhere between september, october 1st, and fall.

Raslin on

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really hope they don't fix that bug with the bazooka.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It actually reminds me a bit of Dwarf Fortress. Sure, the game makes more sense now, but it was just so bizarrely humorous having to fear for your very lives when a band of bloodthirsty, marauding elephants happened by. When the issue was fixed, the game lost a very tiny but noticeable amount of charm.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sure there will be a billion more "bugs" like that in the game that they don't catch. I mean, the premise of it makes it near impossible for them to test everything. Still, I like the idea of the elephant with the bazooka so much, I'll be trying that specific one just to see if they left it in.

Legba on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They did state there would be glue, rope, tape, and that they could be used to bind things together. Thus shark + tape + laser = shark with laser beam or elephant + glue + bazooka.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It actually reminds me a bit of Dwarf Fortress. Sure, the game makes more sense now, but it was just so bizarrely humorous having to fear for your very lives when a band of bloodthirsty, marauding elephants happened by. When the issue was fixed, the game lost a very tiny but noticeable amount of charm.

They were replaced with murderous bloodthirsty monster carp.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And on that note, I hope they include "Dorf" as well. Be it a demented DF dwarf or the height-challenged sportsman who you can use as a stepping stool I don't care.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    They did state there would be glue, rope, tape, and that they could be used to bind things together. Thus shark + tape + laser = shark with laser beam or elephant + glue + bazooka.

Sharks with frikkin laser beams has been confirmed to work.

Kelor on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

The end of the Mesozoic Era... A herd of chasmosaurs is unusually jittery! They now know they have more to fear than tyrannosaurs! Now they face an even greater danger... Tyrannosaurs in F-14's!!

da newb on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    da newb wrote: »

The end of the Mesozoic Era... A herd of chasmosaurs is unusually jittery! They now know they have more to fear than tyrannosaurs! Now they face an even greater danger... Tyrannosaurs in F-14's!!

Is it sad I knew what you were talking about before I was halfway done reading the sentence?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They should just use this to do Deadliest Warrior.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    da newb wrote: »

Is it sad I knew what you were talking about before I was halfway done reading the sentence?

Anyone who doesn't get that reference is someone that I want absolutely nothing to do with.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I just noticed this game thanks to a blurb on Slashdot about critics being all impressed by it at E3 and how "the puzzle game for the DS has become "one of the most talked about games there." I'm thinking, ok, a DS puzzle game the top game at E3 and I've never heard of it, mildly curious, read a review...

Dammit.

God damn it.

I have to buy a DS now. For one game. For a freaking PUZZLE killer app. A Scrabble game killer app. Seriously. That can't just be ported to the PC guys? Please? Steam download?

Sonofabitch.

Yeah, day one purchase. DS and all.

Mercutio87 on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Director:
    Jackson wrote:
    No, no no... tens of thousands... not over ten thousand. So I'll restate the rules here...

Concrete Objects Only
    No Proper Nouns
    No Copyrighted Words
    No Adjectives
    E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Other than that... it works

'Feep' and 'Post 217' will be in the game. It's too epic not to. [the author of the "time traveling with a dinosaur to kill robot zombies" post at GAF]

And yes 220 levels is the final count.

I was just play testing now and I typed 'FTW' to see if it worked, and it gives you a fake Starite... I love my team. :lol

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well we already know the rules have been flubbed a few times, especially on the proper nouns bit.

BloodySloth on