Options

Blade Runner - It sucks... give it another chance?

winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I saw this movie as a kid, and dint understand it. ISo i decided to buy it on DVD. I watched it and thought it was total rubbish. Ive bought the single disc, Directors Cut version, and i hear it's supposed to be crap compared to the original. Is it worth getting a copy of the original and giving it another chance?or will i be wasting my time? I can't imagine a directors cut transforming (what people call) a classic film into a piece of shit.

winter_combat_knight on

• Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No. You probably won't like it. It's different sure, but it's not like it will make you not think it outright sucked.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sometimes a movie just isn't for you.

Are you worried you're missing out on some essential life experience if you don't like this movie? It's just a movie.

oldsak on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I guess at best you could bum a copy of the Final Cut from a friend or rent it. The problem is there are multiple cuts of the film, but if you don't like the underlying movie, it might not be your thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm a fan of 80's movies, and i hear people talk about how great this film is, and i just don't understand why. I like the art style of the film, but the story and characters i just don't find appealing.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oldsak wrote: »
    Sometimes a movie just isn't for you.

Are you worried you're missing out on some essential life experience if you don't like this movie? It's just a movie.

This.

Sometimes even great movies aren't for everybody. This doesn't mean you have bad taste, nor does it make the movie any less great. It's just how it works. I know a guy whose opinion I generally respect who didn't dig The Godfather, for instance. It happens.

It's rare that a different cut of a movie will propel a movie from "total rubbish" to anything particularly good. The odds that you'll end up actually liking a different cut are nearly zero. Just chalk it up to one of those movies you just don't dig.

Full disclosure: I, too, was entirely unimpressed by Blade Runner. I wouldn't call it "rubbish," but I didn't see the big deal. I'm considering renting it on Blu-Ray and giving it another shot, but that's more because I hear the transfer was amazing more than out of an actual expectation of enjoying the movie more.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The original featured a sporatic voiceover by Harrison Ford's character that spelled out the plot a bit more for those that found it confusing. (This isn't a knock, I found the voiceover helpful myself.) Seems most fans prefer the Director's Cut which stripped that out, added the implication that Deckard was a replicant with the unicorn scene (which I also didn't care for) and cut the tacked on "driving away" happy ending. So would you prefer that version? If you think it sucked, well, not sure the original is going to help unless you find the voiceover to be helpful.

TalonSE on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It is worth mentioning, however, that Harrison Ford purposely fucked up the voiceover because he didn't like it.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's the funny thing, I saw Blade Runner when I was younger and didn't like it--when I rewatched it recently (theatrical version), I thought it was great. But Ford's voiceovers are really bad--I think he even admitted to doing them poorly on purpose in the hope that the studio would leave them out. (Edit: Beated!)

So I doubt the original version will improve things much for you, unless the problem was still that you were baffled and need more explanation.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Director's Cut is far, far, far superior to the original version and Blade Runner is one of the best movies ever made. You might not like it but there are peopel who don't like everything.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i've watched bladerunner maybe a dozen times over the years, including studying it in cultural studies and literature courses, and i've never found it particularly thrilling. it's one of those movies i always fall asleep in

don't worry about it

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Read the book. If I would have saw the movie (Final Cut) before reading the book, I would have been completely lost. The book makes the movie better, IMO.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, i guess it does just come down to personal taste. Hell, i'm sure there are people who even hate Terminator 2
    Best. Movie. Ever.
    Cheers fellas.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Read the book. If I would have saw the movie (Final Cut) before reading the book, I would have been completely lost. The book makes the movie better, IMO.

Eh, I'd have to disagree here. The book is fantastic, the movie is fantastic, and they might as well be unrelated for all they have to do with each other.

Funnily enough the adventure game combines the best parts of the book and the movie, which shouldn't really go together, and does it perfectly. Amazing game.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Im with you OP

I really tried to like blade runner. But god it is just awful.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate Terminator 2.
    Because it spawned T3

Sheep on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It is worth mentioning, however, that Harrison Ford purposely fucked up the voiceover because he didn't like it.

Not true.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Not true.

After reading up on it... it's true that he didn't like the voiceovers. It was rumored that he did them badly on purpose. He denied it, but who knows? Either way, I'm sure it at least influenced his reading, intentionally or not, and he's admitted as much.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have fallen asleep trying to watch Blade Runner 4 times now.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the movie is really weird. I didn't get it. Its long and the action is...well, its not like typical action. maybe its the way its shot.

I like it tho...i like sci fi things. I can see this being the future. Basically, kinda like the 5th element.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The movie is quite complex, with many symbolism, I saw it too when I was a kid and I didn't understand it entirely until I read a summary I found in the void describing in detail several things I didn't notice before.

In a certain way, the replicants see Tyrell as their father (or God) and the leader of the group demands from his god an extension of his life span (replicants cannot live as long as humans).

A replicant can only be identified by a flow in their eyes (the old saying that the eyes are the windows of the soul).

I must say I found quite amusing that after Deckard invited the beautiful Tyrell's assistant to that dirty bar for a drink, and even after she blatantly rejected his offer, she showed up after all.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't watch this movie from start to finish.

I even like it. I think it's quite good, but a lot of it has quite a slow pace, and I must have some mild ADD or something and I just lose interest.

Probably has something to do with the fact that I know what's going to happen.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »

Not true.

After reading up on it... it's true that he didn't like the voiceovers. It was rumored that he did them badly on purpose. He denied it, but who knows? Either way, I'm sure it at least influenced his reading, intentionally or not, and he's admitted as much.

Yeah, sorry for the rumor mongering earlier. I need to read my copy of Future Noir again, because I'm pretty sure the author discusses the voiceover.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The director's cut is generally acknowledged to be better than the theatrical release. If you didn't like it, you probably won't like the theatrical release, unless your beef was that you wanted a happy ending and extraneous voiceover.

Quoth on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've TA'd for classes where the professor assigned Blade Runner as homework. Trust me, you're not the only person who doesn't like it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a classic more because of other films it influenced than because of its intrinsic quality. And that's coming from someone who actually kind of likes the movie.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I've TA'd for classes where the professor assigned Blade Runner as homework. Trust me, you're not the only person who doesn't like it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a classic more because of other films it influenced than because of its intrinsic quality. And that's coming from someone who actually kind of likes the movie.

Dangit it's a classic because it's a fantastic movie in its own right. This doesn't mean anyone will like it any more than everyone will like Shakespeare or Catch-22 or something but there are classics that are good and this is one of them.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I always get this movie confused with This Movie.

You should watch that one instead. Or any movie with him in it.

Buddies on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

From all that I have read and experienced in learning more about Blade Runner and how it was made, I know for a fact that Harrison Ford did not like the film for several reasons, and I'll list them:

1.Mr. Ford was initially sold on a premise that was never fully developed. He plays a detective who did no detective work engaging enough to be of interest.
    2. The Director and Harrison did not work well together. Ridley chooses his actors carefully and prefers to take a hands off approach in actor involvement. I think Harrison wanted more direction from Ridley, but he chose to avoid Ford to get him in a proper mindset for the role he must play.
    Plot spoiler regarding Harrison Ford's character "Rick Deckard".
    Artistic differences cropped up when Ridley brought forward the notion Deckard should be a Replicant. Ford completely resisted the idea.
    4. The voice over narration was complete and utter crap. However Ford is a professional actor and would not purposefully ruin a part of the film he did not agree with. If it sounds like Ford did the voice over work badly, it is simply because he had very little to work with and maintain a straight face.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    BFFBFF Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I am in the minority because I like the voice-over. For me it adds to noir feel of the movie, giving the Deckard character more of a Sam Spade type of feel.

BFF on
    blackfeltfedora.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008

From all that I have read and experienced in learning more about Blade Runner and how it was made, I know for a fact that Harrison Ford did not like the film for several reasons, and I'll list them:

1.Mr. Ford was initially sold on a premise that was never fully developed. He plays a detective who did no detective work engaging enough to be of interest.
    2. The Director and Harrison did not work well together. Ridley chooses his actors carefully and prefers to take a hands off approach in actor involvement. I think Harrison wanted more direction from Ridley, but he chose to avoid Ford to get him in a proper mindset for the role he must play.
    Plot spoiler regarding Harrison Ford's character "Rick Deckard".
    Artistic differences cropped up when Ridley brought forward the notion Deckard should be a Replicant. Ford completely resisted the idea.
    4. The voice over narration was complete and utter crap. However Ford is a professional actor and would not purposefully ruin a part of the film he did not agree with. If it sounds like Ford did the voice over work badly, it is simply because he had very little to work with and maintain a straight face.

Yeah, I guess it's unlikely that he would actually fuck them up on purpose, when you think about it--but I do think he could have done a better job with the admittedly shoddy material, and that's probably because he didn't want to be doing the voiceovers in the first place, and it shows through in the film.

OremLK on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I made the fatal mistake of reading the book first, and I think the film totally missed the point of the novel and failed to have any meaningful point of its own, so the end result is I think the film is total rubbish.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I made the fatal mistake of reading the book first, and I think the film totally missed the point of the novel and failed to have any meaningful point of its own, so the end result is I think the film is total rubbish.

Please expound? I remember reading that Philip K. Dick himself liked the screenplay.

OremLK on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Since I didn't see anyone clarify it before, there are three different versions of the movie. The Theatrical Release has the voice-over by Harrison Ford. The Directors Cut wasn't actually done by Ridley Scott (although he did sign off on it) and removed the voice-over but didn't trim down the scenes where the voice-over used to be, so there is some odd pacing and pauses at points. The Final Cut was actually done by Ridley Scott, has no voiceover, and repaces scenes to account for the lack of voice-over. There are various differences in the ending as well, but I don't recall the details off which ending went with which.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Personally I really enjoy Blade Runner... When they did the BluRay release I got it and watched it through, but the version on that disc I did not like so much as the original....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    This is not a request for help or advice, this is a discussion of a movie. This goes to D&D now.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have the final cut (came out only recently). I like it a lot more than the director's cut, which I watched a few years ago.

It's not a "typical" movie, as it's pretty slowly paced. But the final cut does make it much better, with additional scenes added and better editing. One thing I really liked about it on Blu Ray is that the new cut is also fantastically cleaned up -- one of my complaints of it when I watched it way back was that it was too dark to see anything. So, once you can actually see all the light reflecting off the rain, the movie becomes quite pretty.

I also like that despite being sci-fi from the 80s, it's not too dated. But yeah, the "final" cut is the one to get. But if you don't like the movie, it's not a big deal. People like different things.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've seen the last two versions at the big screen and loved them both. But then I am a bit of a sci fi geek and tend to like anything futuristic that tries. Plus the theme song rocks

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love Blade Runner, but why would you try so hard to like it when you simply don't ?
    You might try the final cut, but Blade Runner seems to be one of these 'hate it or love it' movies.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited December 2008

Like I said earlier, the book and the movie are entirely different things that should not even be considered as related. They don't even share a title. Dick's stuff gets turned into movies all the time and it's always changed into something unrecognizable; with Blade Runner it just ended up getting changed into one of the best movies of all time instead of a piece of crap like normal.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Like I said earlier, the book and the movie are entirely different things that should not even be considered as related. They don't even share a title. Dick's stuff gets turned into movies all the time and it's always changed into something unrecognizable; with Blade Runner it just ended up getting changed into one of the best movies of all time instead of a piece of crap like normal.

I thought A Scanner Darkly was a pretty good movie, although I haven't read either of the books

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    el_vicio wrote: »
    ...but Blade Runner seems to be one of these 'hate it or love it' movies.

Apparently! Never have I regarded the film to be so disliked as after having read this thread.

I'll say that I think it's a great film, but not really for the reasons a pretentious film student might give you. I found it enjoyably watchable at a less than cerebral age, if only for the action and mood of it.

And yeah, the PC game was awesome.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png