As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

• Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, it looks like friends are up and everything, so you can join that way. Community is still down for me, though.

edit: I got your friend request but it looks like it's not accepting it. What's your steam name again?

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, that ladder in NM3 has the potential to make me all stabby, since it's possible for the infected to block the survivors completely.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, a realization hit me today.

Did any of you ever buy a game from Valve that couldn't be installed with the disk? I think I remember installing Half-Life 2 from the disk, but I don't know if they changed it.

Basically, I'm wondering if the game is really on that disk I have or if it only has steam on it, which would explain why clicking "install" on the setup screen doesn't do anything. I thought the game was on the disk because it says there's over 6 gigs of data on it, but now I'm not so sure, since people on other forums have had the same issue and they ended up downloading the game.

I can't find anything on this right now. Did they ever say the disk would not contain the game? If so, then that's a pretty stupid move and it should be written on the box.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    honky + other (sorry I cannot remember your name),

good game. Thankfully you both survived the Finale. :D

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was good times. Freakish Light was the other gent. SUCKS that you died right when the tank died. I tried to get aggro as much as I could.

urahonky on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Korlash wrote: »

Did any of you ever buy a game from Valve that couldn't be installed with the disk? I think I remember installing Half-Life 2 from the disk, but I don't know if they changed it.

Basically, I'm wondering if the game is really on that disk I have or if it only has steam on it, which would explain why clicking "install" on the setup screen doesn't do anything. I thought the game was on the disk because it says there's over 6 gigs of data on it, but now I'm not so sure, since people on other forums have had the same issue and they ended up downloading the game.

I can't find anything on this right now. Did they ever say the disk would not contain the game? If so, then that's a pretty stupid move and it should be written on the box.

Game installed off the disk perfectly for me...it's on there. And with my Steam downloads capped by my university at like 512kbps, trust me I'd know if I had downloaded it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

When I put the Orange Box dvd in my drive, I get a small popup that says Install, Readme, etc.. when I press Install, Steam starts up and then let's me choose what I want to install.

The data seems to be uncompressed if it's 6GB! Maybe you could copy all the data into your Steam/apps folder, add the game with the Key and it will detect the data as installed?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

So you're suggesting that Valve is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to press disks which only contain copies of Steam, a file available online that's only a few megabytes in size? They are concocting a vast concpiracy that is slowly but surely moving us away from the warm, middle-man hugging brick and mortar stores and into the cold, unwelcoming arms of digital delivery?

Further, you're saying it's impossible to install Valve games without the Internet?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Finally got this game yesterday.

Smoker is fun, but only sometimes. Like 5% of the time. When the Survivors are retarded. Other than that, no matter how much I prey on weak stragglers, I always seem to end up a gassy cloud of instant gib.

Anyone else find that to be true?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dac wrote: »

Smoker is fun, but only sometimes. Like 5% of the time. When the Survivors are retarded. Other than that, no matter how much I prey on weak stragglers, I always seem to end up a gassy cloud of instant gib.

At first I did, but then you start to watch all 4 survivors closely, and notice if they're actually going to be able to do something about you. Smokers are really effective when a horde is assaulting the survivors, since grabbing a survivor will allow the horde to hit them several times, before you're shot.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

So you're suggesting that Valve is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to press disks which only contain copies of Steam, a file available online that's only a few megabytes in size? They are concocting a vast concpiracy that is slowly but surely moving us away from the warm, middle-man hugging brick and mortar stores and into the cold, unwelcoming arms of digital delivery?

Further, you're saying it's impossible to install Valve games without the Internet?

No need to play internet witty guy with me, you'd be asking yourself questions too if your disk only installed steam.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Untouchables and Nothing Special.

D:

edit:

I have the Lamb 2 Slaughter achievement in game but not on my steam page. This is odd.

Me too.

Also, the team switching thing is ridiculous. I just finished a game where I started with 3 other PA guys, but was on a different team with different people every round.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Played online today, one guy was pretty cool and better than me, other two sucked and voted to kick us and when that failed they just shot us both over and over. Hard to make progress with such internal conflict!

I'd send an invite to the 360 group but the account belongs to my brothers and at least one of them is the type who loves to scream at the top of his voice during games and imitate the sounds of hot Latino sex in the lobby (he even picked the gamertag, which is babySMASH3R. It's like a parody of something).

Either way Christmas is coming so a new influx of expensive distractions should arrive soon!

Rust on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Abloo abloo abloo sometimes people get tanks in different places and at different times. Abloo abloo abloo.

Abloo abloo abloo one team got one more witch than us(this doesn't happen ever stop making stuff up) abloo abloo abloo

what say you about one team getting a tank and one not, hmm?
    I haven't seen that happen in like a week.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Abloo abloo abloo sometimes people get tanks in different places and at different times. Abloo abloo abloo.

Abloo abloo abloo one team got one more witch than us(this doesn't happen ever stop making stuff up) abloo abloo abloo

Yet I've seen it multiple times in the last two days.

Who knew?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Who knew?

Today there was a glitch on the server we were using and we didn't get a tank as infected. So the server admin, whose name I forget, turned on cheats and I started spawning tanks. Everyone became a tank and we annihilated the survivors.

We lost that game.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fun game with cookies, woggle, lustre/Ecko, Dude City, Figment, sherpa... ohtsam... im sure im leaving someone out.

Today I learned that propane tanks bring down tanks fast.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah that was surprising how fast that tank went down, even with concentrated fire etc

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I had no internet for the first couple months after I purchased the orange box (pc), and it would not let me install any of the games, even Half-Life 2 or Portal. After much nerd rage, I found a sentence on the back of the box stating that you must have an internet connection to install anything off the disc. So don't get too sarcastic with the guy, as this part could be true.

Kris on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The rock in Death Toll is a great spot to defend. We defended against both waves and tanks with very minor damage (I dont think we used any med packs and I didn't take any damage) and got on the boat with all four alive. More importantly it's a fucking cool place to defend.

Come get some zombie scum!
    l4d_smalltown05_houseboat0004.jpg

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kris wrote: »

I had no internet for the first couple months after I purchased the orange box (pc), and it would not let me install any of the games, even Half-Life 2 or Portal. After much nerd rage, I found a sentence on the back of the box stating that you must have an internet connection to install anything off the disc. So don't get too sarcastic with the guy, as this part could be true.

Episode 2 came out while I was at boot camp 2 years ago. When I left there and went to my school I was super excited when I bought my brand new laptop and a copy of Episode 2. I was ultra pissed that I couldn't install it because I had no internet in my barracks. I ended up going to Panera Bread because they had free wifi and installed it there. When I got back to my room to try and play it I couldn't because the first time a game is launched after being installed or updated you need to be connected to the internet.

I was such fucking rage.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    were you like I'M A SHARK

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fun game with cookies, woggle, lustre/Ecko, Dude City, Figment, sherpa... ohtsam... im sure im leaving someone out.

Today I learned that propane tanks bring down tanks fast.

Propane tanks do not do any damage to the tank. But the staggering effect allows for concentrated fire, and comming from 4 autoshotties = dead tank.

I've spawned a tank in the middle of 40 propane tanks, then shot the tanks and he staggered but took zero damage. I've also tried to kill a tank(on easy) with propane tanks alone(shooting with the rifle). I blew up 15 or more propane tanks on him and he took no damage.

It is also fun to spawn enough witches to slow down your computer, then shoot them. Sometimes they tear eachother apart.

Buddies on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No TF2 or L4D for me for 3 weeks. Holiday computer can't handle it :(

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, from Sunday I'm going to be so, so horrendously bored. Annoying thing is I don't have the money like I did last year to just go to the pub and get drunk all the time.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, random theorizing about an infected that can disincentivize camping survivors:

Meet... The Needler!

*blaring trumpets*

In much the same manner as the tank, the Needler only spawns as directed by the AI. The AI will spawn the Needler when the survivors are spending too much time stationary, or in a closet, or in close proximity. One infected is chosen to spawn as the Needler, but the survivors aren't warned in the same way they are about a tank.

The Needler is a ranged infected who can shoot dozens of sharp needles in a single burst. These needles do precious little damage, (say around 2hp per burst) and take a while to recharge (10s or so). The point of these needles however, is that each survivor is now infected by a "Needled" debuff - they've got needles sticking out of them and they hurt! Worse, their fellow survivors have them attached too, and the longer you stay near each other, the more you drive each others' needles further in (effectively a DoT while you're stationary near other survivors). The only way to get rid of them is to move around somewhere not immediately near your fellow surivors. If they don't, the Needler can keep hitting them with needles and stacking the debuff for more and more damage over time.

This can basically force closeted survivors to spread out a bit and takes their focus off gunning zombies down and meleeing in order to get rid of the needles. Further, it doesn't TOTALLY force them to move. You can take a stack or two before spreading out, and you can go right back to your spot, if your team can maintain co-ordination (something a poison cloud would render impossible). It rewards infected by giving them an opportunity to make a co-ordinated attack, and it rewards survivors by giving them a chance to maintain their sweet spot if they work quickly enough.

Thoughts?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Needler idea isn't bad but I wonder if the AI directory is smart enough to know when to spawn it.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Who knew?

The witch thing does happen. I was in a NM3 game when (with my team going in with an 8 point lead) the other team got two witches and two tanks whilst our team only got one witch( in basically the same area as their first witch). The other team wasn't even moving through the level any quicker or slower than us except for the time the first tank slowed us down.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Satsumomo wrote: »

At first I did, but then you start to watch all 4 survivors closely, and notice if they're actually going to be able to do something about you. Smokers are really effective when a horde is assaulting the survivors, since grabbing a survivor will allow the horde to hit them several times, before you're shot.

I find that there are plenty of places where you can smoker someone and likely escape without dying. The very start of blood harvest is fantastic for this, for example. Another one is by the satellite dish during the no mercy finale.

TL DR on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    expendable wrote: »
    So, that ladder in NM3 has the potential to make me all stabby, since it's possible for the infected to block the survivors completely.

I had to take a breather after that. My blood was boiling. Getting trapped in that tube of a ladder was ridiculous. I don't think it was entirely intended by the infected (occasionally they would block the manhole or even drop in to hit us,) but it absolutely sucked for us. The blockage was caused by the zombies rushing the three of us who were boomered. We were literally trapped on the ladder from top and bottom, and we could not even drop down because the area is so tight. I was shifting around to let some zombies fall, but it seemed like a wasted effort when I was blocked by the infected at the top. By the time the horde was cleared, we lost the man up top, and the three of us were down below with red, yellow, and green. We didn't have a chance in hell having not breached the top level yet and being attacked relentlessly.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone ever vomited on a survivor as they come up from the sewers/elevator shaft and just stood there watching the horde swirl down the hole like toilet water?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I find that there are plenty of places where you can smoker someone and likely escape without dying. The very start of blood harvest is fantastic for this, for example. Another one is by the satellite dish during the no mercy finale.

I despise playing smoker but there are useful times for it:

When people are boomered get any one that can see, in most games people will not noice someone is being smokered or, if they're decent, it will take them a while to free the person due to the common infected getting in their way which means it takes longer to be meleed free or messing up the survivors aim so they cant shoot you.

If you drag someone down a great height they take fall damage. You don't get any points for this (I think) but you can do really good damage. Down to the survivors bottom-bottom right on NM finale you can smoker someone down from the pipes and some of the roof all teh way down so they take fall damage and have to climb up a ladder to get back up. Really good time to do this is when a tank is coming. It splits the survivors up and will, at the least, slow the person you smokered down so the tank can get an easy hit in.

You can smoker someone so you pull them down a drop that will instantly put them into the 'hanging on' incap. Not so useful by it self but if the others are boomered it's great and with one person out two hunters can do a lot of damage to the other three.

Smokering someone off a roof to constantly slow down the survivors progress. The best example of this is on NM3 during the crescendo event when you can smoker someone off the roof, most likely causing them to take fall damage, so they have to climb up the ladder again and have to run along the roof all over again.

Grabbing the last person going down a hole you can not get back up. This is pretty much an instant kill as the smoker because, unlike the hunter, you'll smoker them away from the hole so the survivors below can't shoot you and free the survivor. Example of this is the apartment hole in NM1 and the sewer drop-down in NM3. Even parts where it takes a while to get back up is useful such as NM3 if you grab someone befre they drop down the window into the forklift/warehouse area.

Attacking with 2-3 hunters at the same time so you trap as many survivors as possible racking up the damage.

Grabbing someone who is boomered but are in a corner and meleeing all the infected away so that they can't defend themselves allowing the infected to do a lot of damage.

Being beside an alarm car so you smoker someone right up beside it. If they shoot or melee you into the car the alarm goes off, if they melee the car the alarm goes off and if they shoot the car the alarm goes off. Which, even if they manage to not set off the alarm which is quite tricky, will force them to be very careful which will give the other special infected better opening.

Smokering someone into a witch to set her off/smoker someone who sets off the witch at a distance so they can't run away and will definately get incapped.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No, but I was kind of a cheap fuck with the Tank and killed two Survivors with a car just as they popped up from the manhole before they could even get their bearings. Then, unslowed by the measly fire of the remaining two survivors, I picked what remained of them apart and used their bones as floss.

Given how often we were getting our asses kicked that match, it was pretty satisfying.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was playing some pub campaigns today, including my first Dead Air run.

Playinh through on advanced with a half decent group, so was all going very well. We are in the terminal and I see the metal detector thing and think:

"Aww man I wonder if that will go off 'caus I have this M16?" emot-fuckyou.gif

Of course the alarm goes off, I get pounced by a hunter, while being saved we get boomed on and end up in the safe room with no medpacks left and 2 survivors red.

Lesson learned!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I tried going through it on my second run through after being told on my first it'd go off. I mean, I had to be sure, right? It is the funniest way to attract a horde. I've had people running away from a tank that's spawned accidently running through it and as soon as Dead Air is on Vs. people are getting smokered through that bugger.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This game is the best game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I've played it so much now that, with a good team, expert is quite easy. Managed to complete death toll with only two deaths throughout the entire team. If I didn't get hit by one of the tanks homing rocks that went through a thin object (it travels through so many fucking things) I'd have gone the entire campaign without getting incapped.

One death was from a witch (we have no idea where she was) getting triggered by a pipe bomb and dying just after she killed Louis and the second was from my stupidty blowing up a propane tank early so I didn't hit th tank leading to Francis getting hit and then killed.

I am going to finish a campaign with no deaths soon and when it happens it will be brilliant.

(Francis was going akimbo only on this particular playthrough)

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Finished Death Toll last night without a death. Sure it was advanced but I thought it was pretty good. Startled 6 witches too. :P (I startle them with FIRE)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Finished Death Toll last night without a death. Sure it was advanced but I thought it was pretty good. Startled 6 witches too. :P (I startle them with FIRE)

The best moment of the run was on NM4 there was a witch in the final upstairs room before the drop to the safe room as well as a petrol tank. Rakuen shoots it and runs just as the horde music starts. Somehow no one took damage.
    urahonky wrote:

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It makes you feel so awesome when something like that happens. This game gives me chills at how awesome it is when you win.

urahonky on