As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    It makes you feel so awesome when something like that happens. This game gives me chills at how awesome it is when you win.

Whenever I'm playing infected against a good survivor team and see them defend a horde by crouching and shooting in all directions back to back, I cant help but think "damn that looks cool."

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It makes you feel so awesome when something like that happens. This game gives me chills at how awesome it is when you win.

Whenever I'm playing infected against a good survivor team and see them defend a horde by crouching and shooting in all directions back to back, I cant help but think "damn that looks cool."

Oh I know. Man... I have so many "OH shit" stories from this game. But I have to work. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    This game is the best game.

I've played it so much now that, with a good team, expert is quite easy. Managed to complete death toll with only two deaths throughout the entire team. If I didn't get hit by one of the tanks homing rocks that went through a thin object (it travels through so many fucking things) I'd have gone the entire campaign without getting incapped.

One death was from a witch (we have no idea where she was) getting triggered by a pipe bomb and dying just after she killed Louis and the second was from my stupidty blowing up a propane tank early so I didn't hit th tank leading to Francis getting hit and then killed.

I am going to finish a campaign with no deaths soon and when it happens it will be brilliant.

(Francis was going akimbo only on this particular playthrough)

Getting through expert without any deaths is doable, but you do need an excellent team. Also a bit of luck, because Expert Tanks are complete BS and Expert Witch spawns are usually a PITA. I know I've made it through expert with only 1 death a couple of times....not sure I've ever made it through without ever dying.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just ninja jump over the witch. It'll work...

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just ninja jump over the witch. It'll work...

Famous last words :lol:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Does lighting a witch on fire kill it instantly? I ask because I can remember getting ripped to pieces by a flaming witch more than once but people seem to think tossing a molotov at one will drop it on the spot.

Rust on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No, it definitely doesn't instakill the witch.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I do it, then run like a madman.

urahonky on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Took care of a witch in an interesting way yesterday.

Two of us were left alive on the first level of BH. She was standing JUST INSIDE the safe room.

I figure we HAVE to take it out so I walk up to it, it start to get up, me shooting. My ally throws a molotov on us and I think...wait...what if I just close the door.

So I close the door and the witch can't get out and burns to death inside.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's like a buttload of snow here. Which means Work Day has been magically transformed into Left 4 Dead day.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Had a terrible witch experience the other day. Playing versus Blood Harvest and somehow piss off a witch I couldn't even see. Obviously, when confronted with a hidden angry witch, my responses were a) panic and b) run and panic more. I turn around and start running away, much to the surprise of the hunter and smoker coming up behind us (I bet they were surprised when I inexplicably melee and murder them) hoping that my teammates will kill the witch before she downs me. A minute or so later, I'm still alive and nobody knows where the witch is.

So I figure I'll be ok and rejoin the group. Then I see the witch, stuck behind a little bit of ledge running back and forth. I laugh a little bit and figure this will be an easy kill. So wrong. Apparently a couple shotgun blasts were all the the incentive the witch needed to figure out how to get over a six inch ledge and rape my face. I was displeased, but amused.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Had a terrible witch experience the other day. Playing versus Blood Harvest and somehow piss off a witch I couldn't even see. Obviously, when confronted with a hidden angry witch, my responses were a) panic and b) run and panic more. I turn around and start running away, much to the surprise of the hunter and smoker coming up behind us (I bet they were surprised when I inexplicably melee and murder them) hoping that my teammates will kill the witch before she downs me. A minute or so later, I'm still alive and nobody knows where the witch is.

So I figure I'll be ok and rejoin the group. Then I see the witch, stuck behind a little bit of ledge running back and forth. I laugh a little bit and figure this will be an easy kill. So wrong. Apparently a couple shotgun blasts were all the the incentive the witch needed to figure out how to get over a six inch ledge and rape my face. I was displeased, but amused.

We had a witch get hit and run in the wrong direction, only to jump us a couple minutes later. The "witch music" had been playing the entire time, but we eventually started ignoring it because we figured she was gone and the music was glitched. :(

Remington on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a witch run in the wrong direction on NM3 once and it randomly despawned.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Were you like "Haha, yeah! You better run!" only to turn around and see a tank standing behind you?

Remington on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It is cool, which is why it's too bad that it's so much more effective for all four of them to crouch back-to-wall.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Remington wrote: »
    Were you like "Haha, yeah! You better run!" only to turn around and see a tank standing behind you?

No, I was the Smoker behind the witch waiting in ambush.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a meeting today across town and got on an elevator.

Ding.

Ding.

Ding.

Where the fuck is my shotgu...

OH YEAH! haha

El Guaco on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    Took care of a witch in an interesting way yesterday.

Two of us were left alive on the first level of BH. She was standing JUST INSIDE the safe room.

I figure we HAVE to take it out so I walk up to it, it start to get up, me shooting. My ally throws a molotov on us and I think...wait...what if I just close the door.

So I close the door and the witch can't get out and burns to death inside.
    Actually you closed the door first then I threw the molotov. I did have it out before you closed it though. But the throwing and door closing happened at nearly the same time!

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    best moment last night in our Vs on NM was in nm4 shooting the propane and staggering the tank off the roof.

also losing the finale in like 2 minutes

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    We have a propane tank in our garage and every time I see it I wanna pick it up and throw it someplace strategic.

Remington on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Our D&D session last night was Left 4 Dead. The inhabitants of a city had been killed by a dark ritual and turned undead. There were "shadowstuff" monsters that would cover people in shadow goop that gave people a -2 to hit and spawned/attracted zombies. A "shadowhunt" creature that could shift 5 squares, knock someone prone and make a follow up attack. Another one would pull people toward him and grip them with a tendril, and finally there was a big monster that could throw stuff at you or hit you to push you several spaces and knock you prone.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »

If the witch is out in the open, this never works. Even crouching, the Smoker is too tall.

guar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    guar wrote: »
    DualEdge wrote: »

If the witch is out in the open, this never works. Even crouching, the Smoker is too tall.

Worst case scenario is they shoot me and a stray bullet aggros the witch, which I consider a win.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    True, but a stray bullet to rescue the survivor is more likely to hit the witch than to not try it at all.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That reminds me, during a game of vs. last night we had just taken out the tank on BH3 where everyone was incapacitated except for myself. A Hunter managed to pounce me and I believe it was expendable, who was on the ground right next to me, put at least 3 clips into him before I was killed. What's up with that? Hunters don't have that much health.

guar on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    accuracy is shit when youre on the ground. if you look at the reticle when youre standing its pretty tight but on the ground theres a good inch and a half worth of space in the middle

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's really too bad the special infected have skin like rice paper. I'm all for them having less health than survivors, but I shouldn't die to splash damage of shots not even intended for me before I even have a chance to hit my Bile button while behind a protective wall of zombies. That shit is right out gay.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    It's really too bad the special infected have skin like rice paper. I'm all for them having less health than survivors, but I shouldn't die to splash damage of shots not even intended for me before I even have a chance to hit my Bile button while behind a protective wall of zombies. That shit is right out gay.

... the boomer is fine.

His bile can be deadly if the infected coordinate well. He's only got what... 80 health? He's a glass cannon to be sure. You just have to be a bit creative with spawning him.

Here's some tips:

- Spawn AHEAD of the survivors around corners, behind shit, on roofs/trains/etc.
    - You want to spawn as close as possible so you don't have much time running to them, and in turn making tons of noise to reveal your location
    - Arc your vomit. It will go much farther.
    - After you've hit them with vomit, try to get away. If you aren't able to wait for the next puke, at least run in there after their bile drips off so they'll kill you... new horde!
    - Don't spawn in side rooms and just sit there. As soon as survivors hear you, they will start shooting through walls. You'll die.
    - Roofs around? Vomit seems to have a very far vertical travel distance. Use that to your advantage.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

This is because guns penetrate zombies in front of you. As a boomer it's almost never safe to attack from someplace you can be seen, especially since walls of zombies are about as protective as walls of nothing.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    accuracy is shit when youre on the ground. if you look at the reticle when youre standing its pretty tight but on the ground theres a good inch and a half worth of space in the middle

I can't speak for expendable, but I'd have to say the Hunter took up the better part of his screen. There should be more hits than misses.

guar on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't remember the bafflingly helpful steam thread's location, but doesn't a hunter take reduced damage in the arm? This plus the fact that accuracy on the ground is SO CRAPPY means 250 could take quite awhile to get to.

Rend on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I can't speak for expendable, but I'd have to say the Hunter took up the better part of his screen. There should be more hits than misses.

Maybe he was so close that he couldn't hit the hunter... as in the game was "starting" the bullets from his gun past the hitbox of the hunter?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

... the boomer is fine.

I don't recall saying that the Boomer wasn't. I was saying all special infected, in my opinion, have too little health, and that was just an example.

I'm of the opinion that they should have enough health to at least take a second's worth of concentrated fire from a single survivor. Maybe this is just a skewed play experience, but I can't count the number of times I've killed special infected on accident. Part of this is may be because the auto-shotgun is ridiculously good at mowing down the horde, but it still seems odd to me.

/shrug.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Maybe he was so close that he couldn't hit the hunter... as in the game was "starting" the bullets from his gun past the hitbox of the hunter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you fire, like, way slower when you're incapped? I dual pistol a lot in CO-OP because they have good stopping power and great accuracy (when crouching), but when I get knocked to the ground suddenly takes around half a second to get each round off instead of blazing away like 4/5 a second.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Not that close. :P

Anyway, it doesn't matter. That whole game was pretty much one giant train wreck, that was just one of the highlights.

guar on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Really the only thing that bothers me about the accuracy system is that getting whacked by regular zombies can make your bullets almost disappear. I can't even count the number of times I've had a crosshair centered on a hunter ripping somebody up twenty feet away, but somehow miss with an entire clip because a zombie or two is hitting me.

The crosshair does not accurately account for how much zombie attacks actually throw off your aim and it drives me crazy. If my reticle shows that I'm right on target, then that's what I should be hitting, not the ceiling above my target. I'm fine with getting hit messing up your aim, but I need to know how badly. The little jump the reticle does each time you get hit is completely wrong in regards to where you're actually aiming during that instant.

Who else laughs every time some bad things start happening and a Boomer waddles in like a perpetually queasy, attention-starved fat kid? Every time I see it happen, a little movie plays in head.

"Oh hey, those guys look like they're having fun! I'm going over there!" Waddle waddle waddle...
    "Man, this is so much fun! I'm helping! Urgh, I don't feel too good... HUAAAARGH!"

Then everybody shoots the fat kid for being gross and smelly and he explodes out of shame.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

... the boomer is fine.

His bile can be deadly if the infected coordinate well. He's only got what... 80 health? He's a glass cannon to be sure. You just have to be a bit creative with spawning him.

Here's some tips:

- Spawn AHEAD of the survivors around corners, behind shit, on roofs/trains/etc.
    - You want to spawn as close as possible so you don't have much time running to them, and in turn making tons of noise to reveal your location
    - Arc your vomit. It will go much farther.
    - After you've hit them with vomit, try to get away. If you aren't able to wait for the next puke, at least run in there after their bile drips off so they'll kill you... new horde!
    - Don't spawn in side rooms and just sit there. As soon as survivors hear you, they will start shooting through walls. You'll die.
    - Roofs around? Vomit seems to have a very far vertical travel distance. Use that to your advantage.

I've had some frustrating experiences with the bile's max distance. Even if I'm directly above the survivors, the bile sometimes just disappears before reaching them. Likewise, it should be able to go over walls more than it currently does. Increase the max range but keep the arc the same, and you'll make it more viable in a few situations (mostly NM finale) without being OP.

TL DR on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just had the saddest pubstomp, for them that is:
    2dw6e4o.jpg
    Respect for Tuox though, for staying the whole game while the rest of his team kept leaving

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey, I like spawning horribly as a Boomer and dying without doing squat on the NM finale. It's fun.

Personally, I think the Boomer is fine the way it is. In an entire versus campaign, I might miss once or twice with the Boomer bile. Unless the other team is shooting through each and every wall they come across using T2 weapons (which has never happened), I get accidentally killed through walls even less. I think all the classes are just fine with the exception of the tank dying too quickly to auto-shotguns and the smoker becoming almost completely useless against corner/closet defenses.

How about this for fixing corner/closet whoring: victims of the vomit attack drip puddles on the floor if they all stay together. You stay in the puddles, you take damage regardless of whether or not you've been hit with vomit. Teams that are on the move or stay decently spread out while defending are fine, but bunched-together teams take damage if they don't move. Even if the puddles only last 15-20 seconds at most, that's enough time to let the infected team get something done. No new class needed and no major change to the game aside from discouraging people from standing on top of each other for the entire finale.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Slightly off topic, but is there a way to modify the mic pickup in steam when using push to talk?

Currently it seems it still requires a certain volume from the mic to activate it when push to talk is being used, but my mic sucks and i have to yell to get to that level. I'd rather have it pick up any and all noise when I'm using push to talk, doable?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal