As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

• Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit davincie. I didn't know scores could be that high or that low. That is just terrible.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    guar wrote: »
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    accuracy is shit when youre on the ground. if you look at the reticle when youre standing its pretty tight but on the ground theres a good inch and a half worth of space in the middle

I can't speak for expendable, but I'd have to say the Hunter took up the better part of his screen. There should be more hits than misses.

Yeah, the Hunter was close enough to be slightly bigger than my crosshairs. Guar had enough health and I started shooting soon enough to put close to 45 rounds into that Hunter. I did kill him just as the round ended, finally.
    Holy shit davincie. I didn't know scores could be that high or that low. That is just terrible.

I was in that one. We got two tanks thrown at us on NM2 and NM3. As well as a tank on NM1 and NM4. On nearly every round, there was a tank within the first 20 seconds of the start. There were a few rounds I didn't even die as infected, because they were over so quick. Twice I smokered somebody at 100 health and killed them. I felt really bad for Tu0x, but he was a sport and stuck it through all the way.

edit: More boomer advice: You have to be still to vomit (it screws me up now and again) and there is a slight but significant delay built in between spawning and being able to vomit. It has screwed me a couple times.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You do not have to be still to vomit, but it takes some practice.

TL DR on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just finished NM2 (iirc, the one with the gas pumps) and won 7 to 4.

Yes. 7 to 4.

TL DR on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yes. 7 to 4.

You almost doubled their score!

Rend on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    best moment last night in our Vs on NM was in nm4 shooting the propane and staggering the tank off the roof.

also losing the finale in like 2 minutes

Yes. But when we found out the tank was Mandalore and not the guy who blocked the safe room with a car on NM1 as tank the game before, it didn't feel nearly as good as it could have.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rend wrote: »

Yes. 7 to 4.

You almost doubled their score!

The lowest score I've ever seen is 3 on NM2. None of the survivors made it more than twenty feet from the safe room. And I've seen it happen more than once.

Gets funnier ever time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There was one time that Job was afk, and we thought we were going to be switching servers. So Asiina and I shot Cryo to death just as the door opened itself. Job came back wondering why he had a hunter on him in the safe room. Pretty sure the score was 2.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Fuck, I'd almost consider shooting Tuox a friend invite or group invite...anybody who sticks it out through a game like that earns serious cool points in my book.

Almost.

I've been hurt before.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    davincie wrote: »
    I just had the saddest pubstomp, for them that is:
    2dw6e4o.jpg
    Respect for Tuox though, for staying the whole game while the rest of his team kept leaving

NM1: We were doing badly. They just got outside of the buildings and Iowa became the tank. Iowa uses the alarm car, they hit it, they all die before they get past the burning petrol lorry.

We kill the tank with fire and run around the inside of the building. Gets tense due to hunters.

NM2: We kill them before they get up to the subway.

We kill the first tank with shotguns as we run around the entire starting area. Second tank spawns at the car alarm, Iowa sets him on fire but gets hit by a car and dies from a hunter as the three of us inside run around fighting the tank.

NM3: They all die in the starting area due to the tank splitting folk up, one guy getting huntered and the guy who came to help him getting smokered.

Kill the first tank with fire in the starting area. Wait for the tank to come down into the sewers and kil him with guns. Finished with 2 yellow and two green hp and four health packs on us.

NM4: Kill them with a tank and attacks from all special infected (except me since I did crap as a hunter and got killed) before they got up the stairs.

Kill the tank in the starting corridor without getting hurt.

Finale: I spawn to the right of the safe room and once they're in the first corridor run up and slash Zoey. She shoots me but does not follow me as I run down the stairs, Bill does. I pounce him in the safe room and kill him as I wonder where the rest of his team is. It turns out they are dead in the first corridor.

We survive with all four.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    davincie wrote: »
    I just had the saddest pubstomp, for them that is:
    2dw6e4o.jpg
    Respect for Tuox though, for staying the whole game while the rest of his team kept leaving

NM1: We were doing badly. They just got outside of the buildings and Iowa became the tank. Iowa uses the alarm car, they hit it, they all die before they get past the burning petrol lorry.

We kill the tank with fire and run around the inside of the building. Gets tense due to hunters.

NM2: We kill them before they get up to the subway.

We kill the first tank with shotguns as we run around the entire starting area. Second tank spawns at the car alarm, Iowa sets him on fire but gets hit by a car and dies from a hunter as the three of us inside run around fighting the tank.

NM3: They all die in the starting area due to the tank splitting folk up, one guy getting huntered and the guy who came to help him getting smokered.

Kill the first tank with fire in the starting area. Wait for the tank to come down into the sewers and kil him with guns. Finished with 2 yellow and two green hp and four health packs on us.

NM4: Kill them with a tank and attacks from all special infected (except me since I did crap as a hunter and got killed) before they got up the stairs.

Kill the tank in the starting corridor without getting hurt.

Finale: I spawn to the right of the safe room and once they're in the first corridor run up and slash Zoey. She shoots me but does not follow me as I run down the stairs, Bill does. I pounce him in the safe room and kill him as I wonder where the rest of his team is. It turns out they are dead in the first corridor.

We survive with all four.

While you were Huntering Bill in the saferoom, Francis ran all the way up to the elevator shaft alone. I came up behind him and Smokered him before he got to the vent grate. Got the kill. Never saw any of the other three myself.

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here's a new game to play as hunter: When a survivor with the auto-shotgun runs up to crown the witch, pounce him from behind right as he gets next to her. Even if his buddies shoot you off, the witch is guaranteed to have enough time to get up and incap the bastard.

Minty never even heard me coming.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm having so much fucking fun with this game, still. Hell, at this point in my TF2 love affair I was already seeing other games on the side. Not L4D. Every night, baby, multiple times. I've even started shrugging off shit that used to bug me in versus like unequal tankage and the like.

The only thing that is still bothering me, and I hope gets addressed in a patch, is the team switching. I don't mind getting stuck on the less capable team. Unless I find myself on a team with just one other person or absolute cocks, I'm not quitting. But nothing, nothing is more frustrating than finally getting into a pub server (when the PA groups are all full) with a team that is just clicking, only to get forced switched by some asshole on the other team smashing the M button a split second before you load the next map. Happened twice last night, the second time was really frustrating.

I actually found a pub group that would wait, coordinate attacks (even the guy who didn't have voice) and move as a team with the survivors. We were killing the other team, in particular after an especially effective boomer that resulted in two pounces, a smoker, and a blind Zoey accidentally stumbling into and meleeing the car on NM 1. Glorious and delicious.

Second map, much the same. The other team began to ragequit. Then someone logged in, played a round on the other team, then lo and behold switched spots with me. The worst part was the fact that he felt the need to taunt us - "OMG, you guys are teh suck!" Despite the fact that we were absolutely killing him, personally as he did not work and play well with others.

I should have asked my former teammates to kick him so I could swap, but I decided to take the high road and stick with the new team. Who all ragequit on me anyways.

They were teh suck, after all.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dang. Sorry I had to leave that game just now a little early. That was not my intention.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Here's a new game to play as hunter: When a survivor with the auto-shotgun runs up to crown the witch, pounce him from behind right as he gets next to her. Even if his buddies shoot you off, the witch is guaranteed to have enough time to get up and incap the bastard.

In my defence I did this to Belty on the first map of Blood Harvest.

(also, no, no I did not hear you coming and you right royally fucked me)

edit:

Iowa actually compained at me. 'I thought you were good at this, Minty?'

'What could I have done?!'

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The team-switching thing doesn't always correlate with the m-mashing thing. In my game yesterday, after maps, 4/8 people would get teamswitched. Both teams were doing well, and often it was the same people switching back and forth between teams.

Someone mentioned that this happens when somebody joins mid-game.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The team-switching thing doesn't always correlate with the m-mashing thing. In my game yesterday, after maps, 4/8 people would get teamswitched. Both teams were doing well, and often it was the same people switching back and forth between teams.

I think this is the case. It seems the game can't save the team setup after someone leaves and someone else joins.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

I think this is the case. It seems the game can't save the team setup after someone leaves and someone else joins.

Yeah, I'm aware that random switching happens. This wasn't a case of it. The players were the same from the one round to the next. This guy just had such a fragile ego that he had to be on the team with the higher score, despite the fact that he did nothing to earn it.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, my router shat itself midgame. :|

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone got a tutorial for swapping up ingame sounds?
    I want to put in some custom songs for death and horde rushes

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone got a tutorial for swapping up ingame sounds?
    I want to put in some custom songs for death and horde rushes

just find the mp3 (or it may be wav) in the left 4 dead folder

everything is just normal files; there are no GCF's

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure he's gonna need a tutorial for that, with lots of red circles and arrows.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

edit:

maybe you should have exceeded my expectations. god

iowa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    One day I will prove myself to Iowa and it will be a beautiful moment stained with the blood of three types of special infected.

Just had a versus game were two PAers were kicked by the server admins complete with total awesome clan names of coolness. They were bad.

Really bad.

I smokered Zoey (PA) on the roof of the finale elevator shaft area beside the metal chimney thing with 10hp left as Francis (admin) and Louis (admin) ran to the radio roomas Bill (pa) got a shot on me he was huntered and both were left to die before the finale proper had even started.

It was sad that Dual Edge was punted off a roof as we hadn't lost anyone up to that point.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Gah, just when I express my love for the game, it goes and shits on me. Or my Internets does. Despite having an orange connection...

- Boomer vomit would spray, arc over several survivors, then I'd get shot, with nobody purple.
    - I'd be right next to a survivor as tank, punch, swing and miss. Especially with the survivor's back to open sky.
    - Hunter pounce through people - everyone's favorite.
    - Shoot a boomer well out of range, and get covered in goo.
    - Hunter swipe next to people, and miss.

We deserved to lose - Minty, Rex, Dual Edge and Dmauro were the better team, but goddamn its frustrating when buggy hit detection and/or lag fucks you over as well.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Francis Soundboard - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/474243

I can only imagine the chaos that can be created with it.
    Ready, Lock the Door, Deep Breathing(1st one), then Aururgh! 2 in that order.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    man you guys really haven't seen this commercial? It just played twice in a row here.
    http://www.pajamagram.com/commercial-2008.html

iowa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hahahaha. 'This Valentine there's only one way to guarantee your woman takes her cloths off' That's brilliant.

Also God bless survivors who jump off the elevator shaft building in NM finale one by one. God bless them. TONGUE.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    iowa wrote: »

edit:

maybe you should have exceeded my expectations. god

Hehe, I had someone ask me during a vs. game if I was new. I responded with, "No, I just suck as Boomer. And Smoker. And Tank."

I'm getting pretty good with that Hunter though ;-)

guar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    man you guys really haven't seen this commercial? It just played twice in a row here.

I actually saw it a little while ago on TV.

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    expendable wrote: »

I actually saw it a little while ago on TV.

This is a sign of the apocalypse.

Maticore on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But.. it's a valentine's commercial!

Do they just replace the word 'valentines' with 'christmas?'

Last time I checked, pajamas wasn't considered that great of a gift.. for any occasion.

And... lingerie? Since when is that a gift for her?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know, I try not to bitch about uneven treatment of teams.

I really do.

But earlier tonight? When the other team got two tanks and two witches as infected and we got only one of each on the same level? And our location for both suckeD?

I started to get a little annoyed.

Does this make me a bad person?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So after playing around with tanks using the Tourettes Guy voice, I don't think I can ever go back to the default.
    DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ill be booting up left 4 dead for the first time tommorow, cant wait, any tips from you regs? Any pitfalls i should be aware of?

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When you are possibly in the line of fire of one of your team mates, crouch down. Remember, one misplaced shot of the shotgun or hunting rifle will drop you, so watch your aim and don't run around in a fashion that will catch stray shots.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Therein lies a question i have, does friendly fire do more damage as you level up the difficulty or does it remain consistent throughout?

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Friendly Fire is different on all settings. It's 0% on easy and hovers around a low amount for normal and advanced while expert has 100% friendly fire.

Hunters deal more pounce damage while on fire. Kill them fast.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Time to try expert campaign dead air..

5th time. Usually the server crashes.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On expert you take full damage from everything. On lower settings you take reduced damage. This applies to everything from friendly fire to zombie attacks. For example a regular zombie will do 20 damage on expert, but only 1 on easy.

A hunting rifle will do the full 90 damage to a teammate on expert.

A witch will incapacitate you in one attack on advanced, but will strait up kill you on expert.

Always stay together, as close as you can afford. You can quickly save a team mate that is grabbed by a hunter or smoker by using a quick melee attack. In general the melee attack is your friend and you should love it.

The shotgun and hunting rifle will fire through an infinite amount of enemies. The uzi and assault rifle only pierces up to 2 I believe. This means that when your teamate is completely surrounded by enemies, and you are sporting a shotgun or hunting rifle, do NOT shoot at the center. This is also why you should generally crouch and use melee often.

Lighting an enemy on fire is a death sentence, not a source of constant damage. That means that even though the tank is on fire, it will still take the same amount of ammunition fired to drop him. If he's aflame then just keep away and he will eventually die.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif