Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »

So...they could announce an update as early as next week. That means we'll get it when? March? Someone'll need to break out the chart on that one.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know what I really hate?

"Hey, 'Dude X', you and our best friend got switched. Go into console and spectate or switch teams."

no reply.

"Hey, Dude, switch teams. Hit M and switch teams so our friend can come back."

No reply, and now the guy is getting weapons and a medkit.

"Dude X, our friend and you got switched, good fucking god, spectate or switch teams. HIT. M!"

Dude opens the saferoom door and charges out.

That happens like every fucking round. It's baffling. I am honestly baffled.

What the fuck phenomenon explains that, WITHOUT FAIL THREE OUT OF EVERY FOUR TIMES SOMEONE GETS SWITCHED, THE ONE ON OUR TEAM DOES OR SAYS NOTHING

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What the fuck phenomenon explains that
    the pubbies phenomenon?

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    iowa wrote: »
    You know what they used to write on the report cards of stupid kids?

"Has great potential."

Not written: To bag groceries, to pump gas, to spit in your burger.
    The smoker is actually a metaphor for my college career?

in more ways than one

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dmauro wrote: »
    the pubbies phenomenon?

Ask first, if no response ask again. If again you get no response then tell them you are sorry for kicking them. Give them a couple of seconds and kick without feeling bad at all.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the pubbies phenomenon?

Ask first, if no response ask again. If again you get no response then tell them you are sorry for kicking them. Give them a couple of seconds and kick without feeling bad at all.

Yeah, i usually would ask and then kick

but, then i've been in games where there was a team switch; and one of the dudes was all like, "but, he was my friend abloo bloo." So, we kicked him.

it's been my experience if you're getting switched, it's just gonna switch you again next round. don't know if it's an actual game mechanic or what.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »

So...they could announce an update as early as next week. That means we'll get it when? March? Someone'll need to break out the chart on that one.

I'm counting down the minutes... n,n-1,n-2
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    the pubbies phenomenon?

Yeah, i usually would ask and then kick

but, then i've been in games where there was a team switch; and one of the dudes was all like, "but, he was my friend abloo bloo." So, we kicked him.

it's been my experience if you're getting switched, it's just gonna switch you again next round. don't know if it's an actual game mechanic or what.

Yeah it's called esc>call a vote>kick a player. If he says "WTF" then you have his attention and tell him to hit "m", I don't feel guilty about kicking someone when they can't follow simple direction. I wouldn't want someone like that on my team even if I didn't have a friend waiting for the spot.

Reagan on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No, it's to do with how early people join.

You can spectate by going into console and typing.. uh.. 'spectate'.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've never been bothered by my team getting broken up. I enjoy killing my friends as much as I do killing with them. I can see why it would bother some people though, the random team switch bug really should be fixed.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Exarch wrote: »
    I've never been bothered by my team getting broken up. I enjoy killing my friends as much as I do killing with them. I can see why it would bother some people though, the random team switch bug really should be fixed.

I enjoy killing friends more...especially if they can hear your voice. Very satisfying

Dixon on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've posted this several times, but people never really pay attention:

Team Switching and YOU

There is a bug in Left 4 Dead wherein teams are only "recorded" at the start of a game (That is, when the lobby leader hits "Start Game").

If someone in the game leaves and is later replaced by someone else, it does not "re-record" the team makeups. The next round, the new player simply ends up on whatever team he ends up on based on how fast he loads. So, if he loads faster than your teammate (Zoey), he could take Zoey's slot, leaving your old teammate to join another free slot, which is often the other team.

So, there is no vast conspiracy where people are mashing M and trying to switch teams at the start. I mean, that can happen, but chances are no one is doing that in most games. It's a simple problem where the late-joining player has no "official team" according to the game, and each round he will simply end up on whatever team the game puts him, taking the spot of the original member.

They just need to have the game "re-record" the team makeups at the end of each round.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

"Hey, 'Dude X', you and our best friend got switched. Go into console and spectate or switch teams."

no reply.

"Dude X, our friend and you got switched, good fucking god, spectate or switch teams. HIT. M!"

What the fuck phenomenon explains that, WITHOUT FAIL THREE OUT OF EVERY FOUR TIMES SOMEONE GETS SWITCHED, THE ONE ON OUR TEAM DOES OR SAYS NOTHING

Even worse, yesterday I was in a VS game and got switched randomly between rounds. The team started literally yelling at me and kicked me without giving me a chance to switch back. Bewildering.

TL DR on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Robofire wrote: »
    Hidden Infected Stats Page
    While messing around in singleplayer versus, I get a stats screen every time I die as infected.

This is a picture of the stats
    l4dairport01greenhouse0es8.jpg

I'm just wondering, why isn't this included in real versus mode? It's kind of annoying to have to go to console to see the damage I did upon death, and I like how much information it gives.

If anyone is interested, this only shows up if you use director_no_death_check 1 and director_force_versus_start. But there are many threads on singleplayer infected. This is about the stats page.

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Robofire wrote: »
    Hidden Infected Stats Page
    While messing around in singleplayer versus, I get a stats screen every time I die as infected.

This is a picture of the stats
    l4dairport01greenhouse0es8.jpg

I'm just wondering, why isn't this included in real versus mode? It's kind of annoying to have to go to console to see the damage I did upon death, and I like how much information it gives.

If anyone is interested, this only shows up if you use director_no_death_check 1 and director_force_versus_start. But there are many threads on singleplayer infected. This is about the stats page.

Me Wants

Reagan on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The worst part about having to kick one of those people who refuses to change teams is when they quickly console kill themselves in some bizarre form of retaliation.

Ein on
  • Options
    X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anybody wanna get involved in some 360 Expert Dead Air action? My friend and I are 2/4 and could do with assistance of non-AIs :-)

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

no reply.

Even worse, yesterday I was in a VS game and got switched randomly between rounds. The team started literally yelling at me and kicked me without giving me a chance to switch back. Bewildering.

No, I never kick without the person having a chance to switch. I don't want to lose a player. None of my friends do, either.

But I certainly kick after, like, no response from 3 or 4 inquiries.

On a lighter note, intentionally getting myself incapped by luring the tank under the gas station in NM 3 and blowing it up is the most fun.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anybody wanna get involved in some 360 Expert Dead Air action? My friend and I are 2/4 and could do with assistance of non-AIs :-)

Can you wait 2 hours? :P

Ill be on after 530 PST and I'll help out with whatever. I've done all the experts so the only achievements left are the fucking impossible ones which I dont think Ill ever complete, so im down for just killing some fucking Zeds.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Ill be on after 530 PST and I'll help out with whatever. I've done all the experts so the only achievements left are the fucking impossible ones which I dont think Ill ever complete, so im down for just killing some fucking Zeds.

Not sure if we'll last that long lol
    We've been doing DA3 over, and over, and over again. Tank ruins us every time

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of Dead Air, I was doing a pub game last night, we're on the 4th map, at the panic event involving the van. Zoey starts it up and her and Louis run into the room to the right and a Tank spawns in the room with them. I threw a molotov down and ran my ass all the way to the end, where I rescued all 3 of them right outside the safe room. Then another Tank spawned with me in the safe room, alone, and everyone else near the stairs. I took him out with the HR through the hole in the door.

guar on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I kind of want to get a group together and play some versus with the specific reason to abuse the hell out of every exploit possible.

I just want to see what it's like...

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I kind of want to get a group together and play some versus with the specific reason to abuse the hell out of every exploit possible.

Think of all the hunters that could fit under the ramp on NM5 :rotate:

Reagan on
  • Options
    DoomninjaDoomninja Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »

This is like being a hot, 18 year old female freshman who tells her boyfriend of 4 years they need to take a break so she can "experiance life."

Lets do it.

edit*
    Reagan wrote: »
    Think of all the hunters that could fit under the ramp on NM5 :rotate:

Heh.... ;)

Doomninja on
    1154825-1.png
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone up for L4D on 360?

Gamertag: Degami

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sivraj wrote: »
    Anyone up for L4D on 360?

Gamertag: Degami

I'll be up for some games in like 2 hours, if you're still on.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    So wait... exploits are cool now as long as you tell the other team how to do it? When they refuse, you laugh at them and continue to exploit?

Dejavu, Twisted.

As long as you're fine with calling iowa, Mandalore, and Butterfly dicks, too, for participating in it, fine.

No, exploits aren't cool. However, the infinite hunter exploit, both when you're using it and having it used against you, leads to interesting gameplay choices that change the way you play the game and *GASP* freshen it up a bit. I'm not saying that the infinite infected thing is good.

My point was, though, that if our ENTIRE team is telling the other team that we are going to do something, and NO ONE leaves, and they don't do the same thing when we ASK them to, you obviously have a reason for staying. It isn't hard to find another versus game. If you don't like people being dickwads, don't play with them.

The laughing at them comes into play only when they suddenly act like that's all we know how to do and that we wouldn't crush them otherwise. If you saw how they were playing when THEY were infected, it'd be painfully obvious that Butterfly, Manda, iowa, and me could have easily taken them as infected.

They never asked us to stop. Some even seemed to find it funny and not even notice anything out of the ordinary.

That doesn't justify it. None of this does. But if you come onto a server, be told that "WE'RE GOING TO EXPLOIT, LAWLZ" and that's what happens, it's on you for staying. It's an opt-in thing.

Also, the infinite infected is a lot stronger of an exploit than witch moving, and I guarantee that it gets patched out first, if the witch thing gets patched out at all. Jesus, let it go. They call it dicking around for a reason. I've talked this over with you multiple times. If you want to harbor some sort of grudge for it, go ahead. But I think that says more about you than me.

EDIT:

Actually, going back to my first line, they were doing it before I even started playing. When I messaged mandy to ask what he was doing, that's what he said he was doing and I wanted to join in. I told him that I wanted in even if I had to be AGAINST him and butterfly exploiting, which did happen a couple of times.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Exploits

And then the people on Armadeaddon wonder why I only want to play co-op.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You're still only depriving yourself in the end.

Some epic vs moments - it just also happens to be one of the most frustrating multiplayer modes ever made.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    You're still only depriving yourself in the end.

Some epic vs moments - it just also happens to be one of the most frustrating multiplayer modes ever made.

It's like some sort of pagan god- it fills me with joy and hatred, alternating based on whim.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Silliest exploit I've seen so far: jumping on the minigun on Death Toll launches you way up in the air, and you may or may not be able to get to the other side of the barricade without going splat.

Echo on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Silliest exploit I've seen so far: jumping on the minigun on Death Toll launches you way up in the air, and you may or may not be able to get to the other side of the barricade without going splat.

That is awesome

Also I love versus, I haven't played it in a while as I got rid of the 360 version and bought the PC version but haven't even played it yet.

So I played versus at the begining when exploits weren't known it was soooo awesome, a lot more fun then coop...for me anyway

Dixon on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I would have loved to have been in on that.
    That end on DT was stellar. The one prior...not so much.:lol:

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dixon wrote: »

That is awesome

Also I love versus, I haven't played it in a while as I got rid of the 360 version and bought the PC version but haven't even played it yet.

So I played versus at the begining when exploits weren't known it was soooo awesome, a lot more fun then coop...for me anyway

That reminds me. Remember when there was an exploit that allowed the boomer to suicide and splash the survivors with bile. It's a good thing they nipped that in the bud as fast as they did. Hell someone may have even worked overtime to fix that bug.

Reagan on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Well, nobody could hit the trick jump so I decided we all needed to die in style.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

That is awesome

That reminds me. Remember when there was an exploit that allowed the boomer to suicide and splash the survivors with bile. It's a good thing they nipped that in the bud as fast as they did. Hell someone may have even worked overtime to fix that bug.

That still looks downright silly compared to everything people are using now. Hell, I'll still contend that it was hardly gamebreaking and had little effect on the game at all, unlike most of the vogue exploits these days.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Scotty wrote: »

DT was sooo much fun. All of getting on the boat at the end deserved a round of applause IMO!
    We eventually got to DA4 after something like 2hours spent on DA3, one of which included me on pain pills running for the safehouse as the tank punted me, sending my dead body INTO the safehouse, not impressed!
    We absolutely RIPPED through DA4 and then DA5 took us about 4 tries. We ended with me, HendoCGS, another guy who I think is on these forums called "Radne0" and a guy who had just joined in before we called the horde, I can't remember if it was Redfield85 or someone else.
    We got into the little sideroom under the terminal and all four of us sat melee spamming until the tank came, which had already set itself on fire. We lost one man to that.
    Rinsed and repeated until the second tank, which we molotoved and ran from like pussies, took out two more of us while Radneo SPRINTED for the plane door which was opening all too slowly for our liking.
    There was blood, tears, fecal matter, urine, screaming, howling, choking and fire everywhere...and I've never had more fun...

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

DT was sooo much fun. All of getting on the boat at the end deserved a round of applause IMO!
    We eventually got to DA4 after something like 2hours spent on DA3, one of which included me on pain pills running for the safehouse as the tank punted me, sending my dead body INTO the safehouse, not impressed!
    We absolutely RIPPED through DA4 and then DA5 took us about 4 tries. We ended with me, HendoCGS, another guy who I think is on these forums called "Radne0" and a guy who had just joined in before we called the horde, I can't remember if it was Redfield85 or someone else.
    We got into the little sideroom under the terminal and all four of us sat melee spamming until the tank came, which had already set itself on fire. We lost one man to that.
    Rinsed and repeated until the second tank, which we molotoved and ran from like pussies, took out two more of us while Radneo SPRINTED for the plane door which was opening all too slowly for our liking.
    There was blood, tears, fecal matter, urine, screaming, howling, choking and fire everywhere...and I've never had more fun...

Hahaha...outstanding!
    I'm definitely up for some more if you guys ever see me on.:^:

Sivraj, if you wanna add me feel free. I'm always down for some LFD madness.
    I think as long as your willing to leave if they have a prior team setup in mind, it's okay to hop in. Great way to learn the in's and out's of the game. (if it's an expert playthrough...REALLY try not to shoot your own guys by accident)

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That is awesome

That still looks downright silly compared to everything people are using now. Hell, I'll still contend that it was hardly gamebreaking and had little effect on the game at all, unlike most of the vogue exploits these days.

Friend, that was my point.

Reagan on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yea, it was me. I got my ass handed to me.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85