As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS1 on the PSP and PS3. Pricing on page 7!

• Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Supposedly DS can address more than 1 gigabit. 2 gigabit cards may be possible.
    That's only about 256MB though.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:

Which is still enough for a DS remake of FFVII with better graphics. Honestly, they can do lots of the FMV stuff using an in-game engine, and modern compression is what a lot of us think it is, amazing, so they could easily fit what took three CDs in the PS1 era into 150 or less MB today.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    krl wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:
    Top 5 titles they'd better fucking make available:

Seriously.
    Einhander, man.

Einhander on the PSP = SOLD to me.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:

Which is still enough for a DS remake of FFVII with better graphics. Honestly, they can do lots of the FMV stuff using an in-game engine, and modern compression is what a lot of us think it is, amazing, so they could easily fit what took three CDs in the PS1 era into 150 or less MB today.

I think you live in a fantasy world. I'm not trying to insult you, but I really don't think you have a realistic grasp on things here. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I am nearly positive I won't be. There is no way Final Fantasy VII will compress to under 2 gigabits while retaining the same level of visual and aural quality the PSX version contained, and there is no way they would "downgrade" it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:

I think you live in a fantasy world. I'm not trying to insult you, but I really don't think you have a realistic grasp on things here. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I am nearly positive I won't be. There is no way Final Fantasy VII will compress to under 2 gigabits while retaining the same level of visual and aural quality the PSX version contained, and there is no way they would "downgrade" it.

You're absolutely crazy if you think, outside of the FMVs, the PSX version is in any way superior to the FFIII port on the DS in terms of audio and graphic quality. Maybe you should look into it before you write off the DS.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Also, here's the intro from Final Fantasy VII:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTkvKyl6ens

That cannot be "redone" with the in-game engine as it is.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:

You're absolutely crazy if you think, outside of the FMVs, the PSX version is in any way superior to the FFIII port on the DS in terms of audio and graphic quality. Maybe you should look into it before you write off the DS.

I haven't written off the DS. To be honest, the Nintendo DS is currently my "system of choice," not that it really matters. I live in something I like to call "reality" and I think you live in something called "fantasy," because while Final Fantasy III has a brighter color palette and may look "nicer," the technology present is clearly inferior to that of Final Fantasy VII.

Look at any fucking video or screenshots and do your own comparisons. You are going off memory and your memory is faulty.

Furthermore, you can hold to whatever delusions you want about magical compression, but they are delusions and nothing more. I'd go so far as to say that Final Fantasy VII probably wouldn't even fit on a 4 gigabit cart, but I am positive it won't fit on a 2 gigabit cart, not if they don't vastly downgrade the quality of what is present in the PSX version.

As someone else here said, Tales of Eternia was ported to the PSP. that takes up about 800 megs of space on a UMD. I believe Valkyrie Profile takes up over a gig.

So, no, I'm not "crazy" but rather you are.

Drez on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furthermore, you can hold to whatever delusions you want about magical compression, but they are delusions and nothing more. I'd go so far as to say that Final Fantasy VII probably wouldn't even fit on a 4 gigabit cart, but I am positive it won't fit on a 2 gigabit cart, not if they don't vastly downgrade the quality of what is present in the PSX version.
    Do you know how much smaller compression can make fmv? Except for the FMV, most of the data on all of the discs were the same.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:

I haven't written off the DS. To be honest, the Nintendo DS is currently my "system of choice," not that it really matters. I live in something I like to call "reality" and I think you live in something called "fantasy," because while Final Fantasy III has a brighter color palette and may look "nicer," the technology present is clearly inferior to that of Final Fantasy VII.

Look at any fucking video or screenshots and do your own comparisons. You are going off memory and your memory is faulty.

As someone else here said, Tales of Eternia was ported to the PSP. that takes up about 800 megs of space on a UMD. I believe Valkyrie Profile takes up over a gig.

have you ever even seen FFIII?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:

have you ever even seen FFIII?

Yep.

A lot of the backgrounds in FF7 are more realistic, the whole game is very cinematic, etc. Final Fantasy III's style is much more like FF1, 2, 4...etc...the older ones...brighter and more cartoony.

So I should ask, have you?

Not that I really care...this somehow turned into a Nintendo DS thread when it isn't one. You can continue to believe that Final Fantasy VII is most likely to appear on the Nintendo DS, and I will continue to think you are loony for that opinion. There's obviously no changing either of our minds at this point.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Look at any fucking video or screenshots and do your own comparisons. You are going off memory and your memory is faulty.[/quot]
    newff.6.jpg
    924897_20061106_screen011.jpg
    I think you are the one going off of memory.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Look at the intro for FFIII and the intro for FFVII. The train pulling into the stop and then just setting up the interactivity of the first scene with Cloud and Barrett running out and attacking the guards is just in a different level than FFIII.

FFIII does have an impressive intro I will admit.

You can Moogletube the vids.

Anyway, there's no point in arguing this anymore. None of us discussing this are intimately aware of the process or specifics it would take to port and compress the data present in Final Fantasy VII, so...we're both guessing at different ends of the spectrum. I don't think you can compress Final Fantasy VII into a DS cart and you do. Neither of us can prove our argument, so let's move on.

Drez on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow.. this should be pretty cool.

Kids will stop beating me up to give me their PSPs, and start stealing mine again.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This game was so much fun in the demo that i had for it. you have these little bean guys and can whollop other bean guys to kill them. you build more bean guys by stacking boxes and busting them open/attacking them. You build weapons by doing the same thing. Different weapons depending on hhow you stack the boxes. This game had a lot of modes and maps and SCREAMED for multiplayer on a larger scale. If released on the PSP, it could seriously change things around. The demo had a castle level where there was this big pyramid in the middle where boxes dropped from heaven and each of the 4 teams rushed to the top to get a box and build weapons and buddies and tanks to attack the other team's base and defend their own. This is a GOLDEN opportunity for sony to start rangling in some mindless mayham on the PSP and develope a quality franchise!

And on the flame war brewing over the FF conversion, lets just wait and see? And how about Parasite Eve being converted as well?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Look at the intro for FFIII and the intro for FFVII. The train pulling into the stop and then just setting up the interactivity of the first scene with Cloud and Barrett running out and attacking the guards is just in a different level than FFIII.

Anyway, there's no point in arguing this anymore. None of us discussing this are intimately aware of the process or specifics it would take to port and compress the data present in Final Fantasy VII, so...we're both guessing at different ends of the spectrum. I don't think you can compress Final Fantasy VII into a DS cart and you do. Neither of us can prove our argument, so let's move on.

So you can honestly look at the screens that were posted and say FFVII looks better?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez, what the hell. FFVII uses static background pictures, FFIII uses fully rendered areas. Of course the DS has the necessary tech to do FFVII. Space, who knows, but the technology is certainly there.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Drez wrote:

So you can honestly look at the screens that were posted and say FFVII looks better?

No, but I can honestly say that I've looked at videos that I've youtougled of both games - FMVs and gameplay - and stand by every statement I've made in this thread based on those videos.

I'm done discussing this now. This whole shitstorm is because you said it seemed "more likely" that the NDS would see a port of FF7 than the PSP, which is just idiotic as far as I'm concerned.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez, what the hell. FFVII uses static background pictures, FFIII uses fully rendered areas. Of course the DS has the necessary tech to do FFVII. Space, who knows, but the technology is certainly there.

Sporky, what the hell. We're fucking talking about space, not tech. I never said it didn't have the tech to do it. Please don't come here trying to drum up an argument that never existed especially right after I said I'm not even going to continue the argument that I was, actually, participating in.

Drez on
  • Options
    The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Drez wrote:

No, but I can honestly say that I've looked at videos that I've youtougled of both games - FMVs and gameplay - and stand by every statement I've made in this thread based on those videos.

I'm done discussing this now. This whole shitstorm is because you said it seemed "more likely" that the NDS would see a port of FF7 than the PSP, which is just idiotic as far as I'm concerned.
    I mean, it's not like SE has a history of porting Final Fantasy games to either of these systems...

The Sphinx on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    dsbat4.jpg
    dsbat2.jpg
    ndsff.jpg

http://www.sylphds.net/ev2/contentview.php?id=268
    Drez wrote:

Sporky, what the hell. We're fucking talking about space, not tech. I never said it didn't have the tech to do it. Please don't come here trying to drum up an argument that never existed especially right after I said I'm not even going to continue the argument that I was, actually, participating in.
    Ah, I was responding to this:
    Drez wrote:

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Motherfucker, beat me to it with that homebrew FF7 port. :p

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

I live in something I like to call "reality" and I think you live in something called "fantasy," because while Final Fantasy III has a brighter color palette and may look "nicer," the technology present is clearly inferior to that of Final Fantasy VII.

That can't be taken to mean that the tech is inferior to the PS, nope.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    dsbat4.jpg
    dsbat2.jpg
    ndsff.jpg

http://www.sylphds.net/ev2/contentview.php?id=268
    Drez wrote:

Ah, I was responding to this:
    Drez wrote:

Excellent...however it is also meaningless. I never said that the NDS could not handle Final Fantasy VII. I said they could not compress it to a 1 gigabit or even 2 gigabit cart. Posting screenshots from a fan-made port proves, uhm, zilch considering there is no real size restriction with the most popular homebrew devices.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I live in something I like to call "reality" and I think you live in something called "fantasy," because while Final Fantasy III has a brighter color palette and may look "nicer," the technology present is clearly inferior to that of Final Fantasy VII.

That can't be taken to mean that the tech is inferior to the PS, nope.

Oh you guys can take it to mean that. However, you're both fucking idiots and misinterpreted my statement...I'm talking about the two games, jackasses.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Oh you guys can take it to mean that. However, you're both fucking idiots and misinterpreted my statement...I'm talking about the two games, jackasses.
    Even then you're wrong, because as I said FFVII uses static backgrounds and FFIII uses fully rendered areas, and it still looks better.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does it matter?

At the end of the day FF7, 8 and 9 will get PSP re-releases on the emulator.

The DS would require more of a remake than a simple emulated port, and I think it's safe to assume IF Square-Enix ever choose to remake these three, it'll be on a home console rather than a handheld. That's just a gut feeling I have.

Personally, I'm not too drawn to the idea of playing the PS1 FFs on my PSP. I'd much rather just put the original disks in my PS2, but that's just me.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Anyway, back on topic...

Personally, I'd be most interested in:

Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Syphon Filter
    Silent Hill
    Dragon Warrior VII (fat chance, I think - too large?)
    Hoshigiami Ruining Blue Earth (probably fucked up the spelling)
    Tactics Ogre stuff
    Front Mission III
    Star Ocean 2
    Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
    Xenogears (even though I didn't really like it)

Other than those I'm kind of at a loss for what would be interesting to play from the PS1 library.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Does it matter?

At the end of the day FF7, 8 and 9 will get PSP re-releases on the emulator.
    We don't know that yet.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Suikoden

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Suikoden

I forgot about those.

Weren't they supposed to do a real/full UMD port of Suikoden 1 and 2? I don't think they ever even came out in Japan.

I'm confused as to what happened with Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia in the US, too.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    To prove a point, and because I was already done with the math:

I just converted the 12.5 meg opening to FF7 down to a 2.3 meg DS video file. Hardly anything is lost in the compression, it's mainly pixels as the DS's screen is at a lower resolution.

At that rate, the first disc's 97 megs of FMV convert down to 21 megs. The second and especially third disc have much less FMV on them (third is mainly the ending, 56 megs). And past that, if you'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of quality I could get it lower still. Wouldn't be unrealistic to fit all of FF7's FMV into 40 megs.

EDIT: I just realized that was including sound, and most of FF7's FMV is silent/uses MIDI music.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Suikoden

I forgot about those.

Weren't they supposed to do a real/full UMD port of Suikoden 1 and 2? I don't think they ever even came out in Japan.

I'm confused as to what happened with Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia in the US, too.

No, Suikoden 1&2 came out for the PSP in Japan. I was hoping they would at least release the game in Europe so that I could import it, like Tales of Eternia or Breath of Fire III, but no such luck.

aett on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

They won't be brought over, and were never going to be, anyway.

They were direct ports, and Sony has that 'at least 30% of the content must be added, or changed in some way' rule for porting content over to the US, so it was a no-go from the beginning.

Tales of Eternia is well-worth the import, though. :D

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    To prove a point, and because I was already done with the math:

I just converted the 12.5 meg opening to FF7 down to a 2.3 meg DS video file. Hardly anything is lost in the compression, it's mainly pixels as the DS's screen is at a lower resolution.

At that rate, the first disc's 97 megs of FMV convert down to 21 megs. The second and especially third disc have much less FMV on them (third is mainly the ending, 56 megs). And past that, if you'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of quality I could get it lower still. Wouldn't be unrealistic to fit all of FF7's FMV into 40 megs.

EDIT: I just realized that was including sound, and most of FF7's FMV is silent/uses MIDI music.

Sweet.

It's seriously so feasible to do this, and we'd get better models and higher rez textures in the bargain.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kami wrote:
    Drez wrote:

They were direct ports, and Sony has that 'at least 30% of the content must be added, or changed in some way' rule for porting content over to the US, so it was a no-go from the beginning.

That rule has always interested me.

I mean, I see what Sony's trying to do. They don't want quick ports on the PSP. Err, PS1 ports. But it didn't really work, because SCEA and the other regions couldn't get get together on it.

It reminded me of this reality show I watched a long time ago. Two people decided to vote against each other, so they cancel out each other's vote. One of them forgot, though, so it just ended up that one guy got screwed because they couldn't keep it together.

So, publishers released great games, like Suikoden Collection and Tales of Eternia, in Japan and Europe respectively. When it came time for America, though, they didn't satisfy the 30% rule (though Suikoden should have gotten by on the collection clause, no idea why it didn't), so they couldn't get through.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kami wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Word of warning about Breath of Fire 3, it has some pretty atrocious loading times.

Also, didn't Tales of Eternia lose some things when they ported it from the PS1?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yep, I bought Tales of Eternia for 65 bucks and even at that price it was well worth it.

Drez on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Silpheed wrote:
    Also, didn't Tales of Eternia lose some things when they ported it from the PS1?
    Yes and no. The Japanese version is a faithful, widescreen converted port. The European version lost a whole bunch of skits for some reason.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    But I think Tales of Eternia on the PSP is better than the PS1 version because they formatted the battle screen for the PSP's widescreen.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Me list of games I'd love to play on my PSP/PS3:

Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
    Final Fantasy I
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    Omega Boost
    Xenogears
    Parasite Eve
    Parasite Eve 2
    Suikoden
    Suikoden II
    Resident Evil: Director's Cut
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Silent Hill
    Vagrant Story
    Star Ocean: The Second Story

That's about it. A couple would need the controls completely re-mapped but they shouldn't be too hard. MGS in particular, all they need to do is make the weapons/item equipping similar to the ones in MGS2/3. Where you just tap them to quickly equip/unequip and hold them to bring up the screen.

I also want to see a few games (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics and Omega Boost) make it to PAL regions. They better not be bloody region locked.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid