As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Still No Skaven/Tomb Kings & Darkness Falls Fill In Gap

• Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So if anyone could hook me up with one of those fancy free trial shenanigans... that'd be super!

My system SAYS it'll clear the minimum specs but I'm not sure how much I can trust that. And I'd like the try this game out, see if I like whats there.

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So on a Warhammer related note, I just finished Witch Hunter by C. L. Werner.

Very fun read as long as you don't go in expecting high brow literature.

It really boosted my appreciation for Skaven, but the vampires didn't quite live up to my ideas from the lore.

I absolutely loved at the end of book two though:
    When the huge battle royale was going down between the great unclean one, the witch hunters, vampires, and skaven, all thrown in together. Totally awesome scene, especially the warpfire thrower. Oh, and Meisser getting shot in the head was worth a good chuckle.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    when they include skaven they need to have one of these three for RDPS

Ratling gunner
    Warpfire thrower
    Warplock Jezzail

They are all awesome and I'd play any of them

Although I can see this unit...

sssssssss.jpg

...looking really off running around machinegunning people in serpents passage :lol:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    McCow42McCow42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Vahraan wrote: »
    So if anyone could hook me up with one of those fancy free trial shenanigans... that'd be super!

My system SAYS it'll clear the minimum specs but I'm not sure how much I can trust that. And I'd like the try this game out, see if I like whats there.

The game seems to really like both CPU and RAM. It appears that if you can offload a lot of the graphical work to your vid card you might be better off. For instance: I had really low fps running application mode graphics. I found if you setup a profile for the War.exe in either the Nvidia/ATI Control panel I found I got much better performance. (50-70 fps @2xAA/16AF rather than 30-50 with no AA/AF. Both using high quality textures on a Core2 @1.8GHZ with an 8800GT). For some reason the war.exe didn't show up in the Nvidia panel by default so I had to add it.

Make sure you play around with the video settings (Water/Lightmaps/Specular/Shadows) for greater frames.

McCow42 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Avynte wrote: »

It really boosted my appreciation for Skaven, but the vampires didn't quite live up to my ideas from the lore.

When the huge battle royale was going down between the great unclean one, the witch hunters, vampires, and skaven, all thrown in together. Totally awesome scene, especially the warpfire thrower. Oh, and Meisser getting shot in the head was worth a good chuckle.
    I think if you're expecting high brow literature from a book titled "Warhammer: Witch Hunter" you deserve to have terrible terrible things done to you by giant rat people.

But damn if it wasn't an entertaining read. Suprisingly few witches being hunted though. Considering the title and all.

see317 on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    see317 wrote: »

I think if you're expecting high brow literature from a book titled "Warhammer: Witch Hunter" you deserve to have terrible terrible things done to you by giant rat people.

But damn if it wasn't an entertaining read. Suprisingly few witches being hunted though. Considering the title and all.

Since that book is on it's way to me from Amazon right now, I'm glad to hear the positive reviews :). It'll be my first Warhammer book.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Since that book is on it's way to me from Amazon right now, I'm glad to hear the positive reviews :). It'll be my first Warhammer book.

It is a fun read, especially once all is sorted out between Sibbechai and the Krausers(?).

Dumb videocard question. I tried to set up a profile for WAR on my vc settings, it's an Nvidia. And it either lets me choose a game from a list, which WAR is NOT on, or browse. If I browse, however it does not seem to recognize that WAR is even installed.

On the whole I get good performance though, I can run highest settings for nearly anything except keep sieges, but i prefer to run balanced coz it still looks good and I don't need the fancy shadowing.

Do I need to create a profile still? Or am I doing okay?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Dumb videocard question. I tried to set up a profile for WAR on my vc settings, it's an Nvidia. And it either lets me choose a game from a list, which WAR is NOT on, or browse. If I browse, however it does not seem to recognize that WAR is even installed.

On the whole I get good performance though, I can run highest settings for nearly anything except keep sieges, but i prefer to run balanced coz it still looks good and I don't need the fancy shadowing.

Do I need to create a profile still? Or am I doing okay?

You have to add it manually as it doesn't show up on the list by default.

Did you install into the default directory from the dvd? If so the .exe you need to add is

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning\WAR.exe

If you installed via Steam it's probably in your Steam Apps directory. Try searching for war.exe and point the Nvidia control panel to it.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110279 goes over it in more detail than I ever could and gives some example settings to play around with.

By the sounds of it you are ok without adding it to the control panel. I found that setting up the profile helped me run at a much higher texture quality and more FPS. YMMV.

McCow42 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    @McCow

That's the thing, there is no field for me to enter it manually. It is in the default folder from the dvd. I have seen the link before, and that's when I figured out that it wasn't letting me add it and the browser did not detect it.

I guess I'm ok but I wouldn't mind an improvement in my performance. Perhaps my drivers aren't up to date enough.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sexy OP.

Someday I will see you guys again. Someday.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Sexy OP.

Someday I will see you guys again. Someday.

/waves

I hear you are mighty busy these days, but don't worry. Everything is under control.
    Mwahahahaha!

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    McCow42 wrote: »
    Yathrin wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Wooo the last thread there was a picture of Order totally asswopping Destruction.. are healers lacking on Desto?

Yes. Especially since the average Disciple Of DPS breaks out in a rash at the concept of healing anyone other than themselves.

And double especially since the average Order team is now half Ironbreakers and half a blend of Warrior Priests, Runepriests and Archmages.

Bah, totally untrue. Since the Chalice change I play as a primary healer in SC's and ORvR. My group healing skills rock. DoK's lack the tools to keep someone up that's getting focused on though. Need to have something to melee to get our only direct heal off and it needs to be squishy to get good healing numbers.

To further add to the point; that "DPS" DoK may be doing more good than harm.

At 20 rend soul heals for 200-450 per hit (using 29.0 dps weapons with ~250 Str and that tactic that gives +25% melee damage/-25% healing damage) so it's fairly good in terms of keeping people up under focus fire. As a reference my hot heals for about 155; group heal for 450; with out the damage tactic equipped. The keep point is try to find the softest target available; don't expect zomg healing trying to rend an Ironbreaker for example. One block and the person you are trying to heal is in trouble. It does change in Tier 3 with the overabundance of CC tho. Best success I've had with the DoK is staying in what I call the middle of the fight; pealing off WH's/WL's that would outright kill other classes and running in to help tanks with a couple shots of consume essence + hot when needed.

Not sure if it's common knowledge or not in regards to the the damage tactic for both DoK's and WP's (+25%damage/-25% healing), the -25% doesn't get applied to Rend Soul and Consume Essence (not sure what the WP equivalent is) which heal via proc. I'm not sure why to be honest but it's a good way to contribute healing in a group that may have more of a dedicated healer (Shaman/Zealot).

Actually the tactic is +25% damage/-20% healing, which BOTH affect rend soul and end up canceling each other out I think (1.25*0.80=1) . It's really hard to test it exactly. It MIGHT be that it is only affected by the +25% damage though. I'll have to test it more.

However consume essence and transfer essence are affected by only the +25% damage portion.

on my DoK I'm Sac/DR specced, and I have two sets of gear and tactics that I use. If we need more healing I'll go pure healing gear/chalice, if we have plenty of healing I'll throw on my dps gear and just support with consume essence and consume strength. I can just tear shit up in my dps gear and still throw mad heals in my healing gear without a resepc.

I've also started playing a magus, and I'd say they are like warlocks from wow (without the ghey ass fear spam.) I'm almost always top damage, and I can just tear shit up, almost as much or more than a BW/sorc. I [retty much throw out all my aoe dots over a few groups, then single target dot up a few people, then find someone I want to focus on and use my single target spells on them. The daemons deal a ton of damage now so it's a must to summon one.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well, from what I can tell from PVP, Black Orks have a metric fuck-ton of health, but can't do any damage. So there's that. You'll survive a lot in PVP but you probably won't get any killing blows.

Basically I guess I am asking if I can expect mad blow jobs if I am a Healer, will I be able to find someone to give mad blow jobs too as a Black Ork?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Warplock Jezzails are pure win. However, how exactly would you implement the jezzail team? On the TT game there is one skaven to hold the shield/tripod, and one to actually aim and fire the rifle.

Would you implement this as a "pet" class? With the riflerat commanding the shieldrat? That would be kinda cool, though creating new gear might be a pain.

Also, skaven assassins would be pretty cool too. dunno about the tank though, only big guys the skaven have are Rat-ogres.

Edit: Crumbly, healers tend to be in more demand than tanks, lotsa BGs running around. Regarding BO DPS, geared and specced right, BO's can put out very respectable damage. On my IB, I'm messing around with 2-hander/dps spec and I can drop even higher con mobs embarrassingly fast. On my BO, I do great damage and kill mobs in less than 9 seconds. If i get a few crits, cut that down to 5-6 secs per mob. With excellent AoE potential once I hit 35. Combined with the self-heal, BO's are a bitch to kill if I don't feel like dying.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, any tips for Engineers for both PVP and PVE? I'm right now playing on an RvR server.

Currently my main PVE tactic is to set up my flame turret, pull with my gun, toss an acid bomb, do that spanner DOT attack, and then repeatedly whack them with my spanner, my shotgun attack, and if things go bad use addling shot.

basically just fucking spam AoE.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Actually the tactic is +25% damage/-20% healing, which BOTH affect rend soul and end up canceling each other out I think (1.25*0.80=1) . It's really hard to test it exactly. It MIGHT be that it is only affected by the +25% damage though. I'll have to test it more.

However consume essence and transfer essence are affected by only the +25% damage portion.

Thanks for the clarification on the tactic.

Shouldn't be too hard to test on a keep door/random mob. If I get a chance tonight I will check it out.

Cause knowing is half the battle.

SAC+DR is where I'm heading as well though I'm undecided how deep I will go into SAC beyond Devour Essence. Figure I will try it out and see.

McCow42 on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are there any Skaven classes from the table top that control multiple pets at once? I want a DAoC style Bonedancer class...that is actualyl what I was expecting from the Squig Herder based on the name. I mean, really, who only herds one creature at a time? Should have been called a Squig Walker.

Accualt on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Accualt wrote: »
    Are there any Skaven classes from the table top that control multiple pets at once? I want a DAoC style Bonedancer class...that is actualyl what I was expecting from the Squig Herder based on the name. I mean, really, who only herds one creature at a time? Should have been called a Squig Walker.

That's for rank 41-50.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, from what I can tell from PVP, Black Orks have a metric fuck-ton of health, but can't do any damage. So there's that. You'll survive a lot in PVP but you probably won't get any killing blows.

Basically I guess I am asking if I can expect mad blow jobs if I am a Healer, will I be able to find someone to give mad blow jobs too as a Black Ork?

This is the most amazing statement in the history of MMOs.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Black orcs are one of the more damage capable tanks, actually.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Xzean wrote: »

Most people in PuGs suck, that includes healers. If you are in a pug and are a good healer, expect a lot of tells or thanks in /scenario chat.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Accualt wrote: »

Clan moulder is known for breeding packs of giant rats, so I guess that a possibility. Though if they go with a single clan like chaos that might not be an option.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Most people in PuGs suck, that includes healers. If you are in a pug and are a good healer, expect a lot of tells or thanks in /scenario chat.

I love tells/other garbage like "god our healers suck" from those special mouth breathing flowers who demand immediate heals any time they take 2 damage and begin to either i)run AWAY from the battle ii) run out of heal range/run up a ramp or iii) are at an entirely different objective while you madly heal the rest of the party and rake in 200+ in heals.

I have a pen and a piece of paper pre-titled with "DO NOT HEAL" in close proximity to write those names down. I also can taste the tears when they see the scoreboard at the end.

McCow42 on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this is what a magus is capable of with heals. I really need to find a healer to hook up with.
    Sufferr_000.jpg

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That is an impressive number at 18. The fact that you pulled it off in STC makes me want a detailed guide from you.

edit: Oh you are like, damn, pure INT gear. I've been focusing on Toughness/Wounds. I can almost feel the frustration from WL's and WH's as they try and kill me 1v1. And tanks? Pfff, the dmg they do against me is just sad.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    my account expires january 19th, sorry morskittar :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    McCow42 wrote: »

I love tells/other garbage like "god our healers suck" from those special mouth breathing flowers who demand immediate heals any time they take 2 damage and begin to either i)run AWAY from the battle ii) run out of heal range/run up a ramp or iii) are at an entirely different objective while you madly heal the rest of the party and rake in 200+ in heals.

I have a pen and a piece of paper pre-titled with "DO NOT HEAL" in close proximity to write those names down. I also can taste the tears when they see the scoreboard at the end.

This is one of the reasons I wish there was an ban from warband option. It's hard enough getting 23 other people moving in the same direction. I don't need you insulting other people or giving conflicting instructions on top of that. Especially when you can't be bothered to leave caps lock off.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Four things you should know about this epeen shot.

1). I'm Myoujou

2). I had the 25% damage/-25% healing on.

3). I'm sacrifice spec up to devouring but not consume essence. (At the time)

4). I was duoing with Reiyl who perma guarded me.

That shaman is amazing, as is that other dok. Us 5 basically won the entire scenario.
    Myoujou_002.jpg

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    so you finished like, 12th in damage and 3rd in healing?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Most of that damage is devouring.

I'm proud of the level difference between their highest, the low deaths (all 5 of us had 1 or 2 now look at the rest of the team) and the fact that almost all of my gear is toughness/wounds with the primary stats of willpower/strength being whatever extra stats are on the best toughness/wounds gear.

I'm also proud of Reiyl who went from never duoing to doing that well with me with only two duoing scens beforehand. He is a smart chosen.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    im just giving you a hard time

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just thought about how you could in fact introduce Skaven and not have to figure out the whole "Skaven in the IC?" issue.

Simple, introduce them with their own capital, and pairing - Skavenblight. This would be less jarring than having to account for skaven in the other pairings. I mean, you would not have to extensively redesign the existing zones, maybe add some quests and npcs, but keep the skaven-centric content mostly in their own pairing.

I want my jezzail. Although the Assassins/Gutter Runners sound good. And plague monk healers. And Moulder rat-ogres?

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Storm Vermin are the heavily armored elite Skaven warriors. That would be the tank for sure.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I had forgotten about Storm Vermin, that actually sounds good. They would be ideal for kill-smashing the man-things in a somewhat fast-quick manner.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    im just giving you a hard time

Eh I don't really find that personally impressive it's just that all 5 of those guys were in my group so we just kind of had synergy yknow.

And I had guard, which just makes all the difference in the world for playing a dok properly. Doks are actually primary guard targets for me if they look like they are sacrifice (and have a brain) because they're just this solid bedrock that the other two healing classes can boost from. Plus it does only have a 30 yard range.

I love that shaman though, he really is good.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    time for a big ole' epeen buffet...
    Rinee%5EF_002.jpg
    Rinee%5EF_003.jpg
    Sayeh_002.jpg
    Sayeh_003.jpg
    Sayeh_004.jpg
    Sayeh_005.jpg
    Sayeh_006.jpg
    Sayeh_007.jpg
    Sayeh_008.jpg
    my zealot dropped some pretty leet heals at level 21 back in November... and my magus is a dps machine...

my xp gains went through the roof since I learned from yous guys about being in your own group :D 40k+ xp from one scenario ftw, and 30k for LOSING a scenario...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's probably a real shame that I don't like zealots very much...

(Ateesh)
    BabyZealot.jpg

I got 24k on my level 3 shaman as well but we out levelled them by a lot.

Really I only like that one because the class is so pure at 3 with zero stats from gear or anything at all to differentiate it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ugh and here comes all the epeen shots. GG you guys won some scenarios.

A few times my team has won a mourkains temple without letting the other team get a kill.

Does everyone respect me now?

Now if we can get to more PRESSING business concerning screenshots- Why is there no more Bearded Gobbo in the OP?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    time for a big ole' epeen buffet...my zealot dropped some pretty leet heals at level 21 back in November... and my magus is a dps machine...

my xp gains went through the roof since I learned from yous guys about being in your own group :D 40k+ xp from one scenario ftw, and 30k for LOSING a scenario...

Everything you typed made me want to hurt you but the last part makes me want to stab you.

Accualt on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am...not good at PVP. Though I sometimes do rank like 3rd due to just dumb luck.

Wallhitter on
This discussion has been closed.