Options

So SE++, I thought I was going to die tonight...

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    it's so funny, i didn't actually understand it

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't get it.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    maybe people with Kristen Bell avatars aren't very smart

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lemme see, it was about 3 1/2 years ago when I started getting really sick.

It started around July or August, when multiple problems began creeping up: My eyesight was going bad; I was thirsty all the time and had to pee way too often; I had ocassional weak spells where I had so little energy I could barely stand up comfortably; and eventually I started having problems keeping anything down and would vomit most anything if I got slightly full. Finally, one night while in the midst of feeling horrible, I woke up after only a couple hours sleep with a massive pain in my side that kicked in anytime I took more than very shallow breaths.

I finally decided to call 911 because I just couldn't handle it anymore and wanted something to be done, although I figured I was probably making a big deal out of nothing. I had no clue at all that all of these were symptoms of one major malfunction. The paramedics asked some questions and hauled me off to the hospital, where I was told my pancreas had crapped out on me and at the time of being brought in I had a blood sugar level of somewhere around 950; That's roughly the combined average of ten people.

Apparently the pain I was feeling (among other things) were all signs of my body slowly shutting down, and if I hadn't called 911 when I did, I most likely would've fallen into a diabetic coma.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was two, I had the habit of sucking Jello off the spoon. With gusto. Over time, I ended up aspirating enough of it to completely coat my lungs and I stopped breathing. While they were trying to airlift me out I went completely flatline for nearly a minute. They had to shock me back three times on the way to Amarillo, and I spent most of the next two years in an oxygen tent.

It's kind of weird to have already died at the age of two. Makes me feel a bit of a pussy for not calling the rest of my lifespan a wash and dedicating it to fighting street crime with a machete.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    This forum is made up of current or former spies for various government agencies.

Every single thing we say is actually a highly complex code. Including this, I'm actually requesting a turkey sandwich to be air dropped to my position.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It's kind of weird to have already died at the age of two. Makes me feel a bit of a pussy for not calling the rest of my lifespan a wash and dedicating it to fighting street crime with a machete.

It's never too late...

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zuel wrote: »
    I was shot in the shoulder. The scar is barely there now, but at the time it happened, I sure as hell was thinking I was going to die.
    Iskander wrote:
    i slid down the mountain on my chest for about 100 meters and barely managed to stop just two meters from one of the hugest chasms of the French Alps

K, I guess I can start looking at movies as being a bit more realistic now.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a volunteer firefighter, so I've entered burning structures of questionable stability.

Hell I've ignited a diesel fuel burn-pan with a 20lb propane tank in it for the sake of training (Science!).

Probably one of my biggest fears is contracting a disease from one of you dirty dirty peasants after you crash your cars and bleed all over me.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Iskander wrote: »
    this one time i fell off a ski lift on with the board strapped to only one foot

i slid down the mountain on my chest for about 100 meters and barely managed to stop just two meters from one of the hugest chasms of the French Alps

bruised a few ribs and fractured one, but otherwise took no damage. at the time i was sliding down the mountain though i was already making my peace with the world D:

Holy shit, man. D:

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I nearly got pulled out into the ocean once whilst swimming somewhere when I was on holiday with my parents when I was 10 or so. I vaguely remember someone telling me to stay between the ropes because that was the area watched by the lifeguards, and I ended up being pushed by a wave way over the ropes and out into really deep water.

Every time a wave crashed over me I'd try and fight my way forwards, but ended up getting pulled backwards further than I managed to get forwards, so I gave up trying to get back to the shore and instead worked my way across to the ropes strung up between buoys. I think about 20 minutes later I managed to pull myself along the ropes back to shore, because by that point I was utterly worn out.

I remember not telling my parents because I didn't want to get in trouble for going over to the other side of the ropes, but it was a pretty traumatic experience and I didn't go back into the sea for, well, ever since.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DragonicityDragonicity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I decided to take a 12 hour road trip on 3 hours of sleep. Needless to say somewhere around the 8 hour mark I was having trouble staying awake at the wheel. I blinked out, and when I came to, I was driving 80 down the median... and I was approaching a bridge. I veered back onto the road at the last possible second, barely missing the guardrail for the entrance to the bridge. I looked for the next rest stop, pulled over, and took a nap after I got done crapping myself.

Dragonicity on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This isn't my story but my brother's.

He was in 1st grade I believe. He and a friend we walking out of the front door of our Catholic elementary school in the middle of a huge thunder storm to go to the friend's mom's car, which was waiting to drive them home. As they are about to come out, lighting strikes the large stone cross at the top of the building. It breaks off and falls 3 stories, landing directly in front of the front door. Turns out some other mom was right behind them and pulled them back by the shirts when she heard the really fucking loud lightning strike, saving them from being killed by a giant stone cross. God wanted them dead apparently.

Smurph on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Iskander wrote: »
    this one time i fell off a ski lift on with the board strapped to only one foot

bruised a few ribs and fractured one, but otherwise took no damage. at the time i was sliding down the mountain though i was already making my peace with the world D:

I'd like to think I wouldn't piss myself in this situation but I can't be too sure.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The first time I ever drove anything, it was my dad's truck

We were driving and we got to this turn and I hit it too late and the back swung out over the edge of a cliff and we almost fell off it

maybe you shouldn't be driving like an idiot. Or better yet, at all.

I mean, I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A friend of mine in the marines just got back from Iraq.

Last summer, on his birthday, he got out of his patrol hummer to take a piss. So he's doing his business, then walking away back to the truck, and an IED blows up behind him.

Turns out, he pissed on that thing and didn't see it, but for some reason, it detonated a few seconds afterwards. They thought the urine might have shorted the wires out or something.

Happy Birthday!

Langly on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh man oh man

Weaver on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Langly wrote: »

Last summer, on his birthday, he got out of his patrol hummer to take a piss. So he's doing his business, then walking away back to the truck, and an IED blows up behind him.

Turns out, he pissed on that thing and didn't see it, but for some reason, it detonated a few seconds afterwards. They thought the urine might have shorted the wires out or something.

Happy Birthday!

oh nice.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Langly wrote: »

Happy Birthday!

Something similar happened to a buddy of mine, he works supply lines so he mostly just takes inventory of stuff, but when they move from base to base he get to sit in the back with 1 other guy and guard the truck. Well the guy was drinking a soda (I assume it wasn't a beer) and when he finished threw the can out the back of the truck, it landed on what was appearently an IED and blew it up. Luckily it was in the middle of nowhere and no one was hurt, but the truck had just passed RIGHT over it.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    because of this thread i've been hearing i've been dying in your arms tonight for the last hour

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    because of this thread i've been hearing i've been dying in your arms tonight for the last hour

Thank god I'm not the only one.

As soon as I saw the thread title I wanted to reply 'It must have been something I said.'

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ZuelZuel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Zuel wrote: »
    I was shot in the shoulder. The scar is barely there now, but at the time it happened, I sure as hell was thinking I was going to die.

Tell us the story. Shot with a gun?

I've been shot by an arrow. I have an awesome photo of me writhing on a hospital bed in the emergency room as two nurses hold my frail, pasty white naked frame down while a 500lb black doctor pulls it out of my thigh. Fuck me that was painful. You know carbon fibre shafts shatter when they hit bone and splinter into a thousand fragments. Close to death? Not really. It missed everything except muscle I didn't even need a transfusion. The operation a few days later to get the fragments out was routine too.

Been in a coma for 4 days. That was hair raising. Though I can't really go into that one more.

Eh, wish I could say it was in a high noon shootout, but not so much. Years ago a friend was waving around his new .22 and it went off and plugged me in the shoulder.

Zuel on
  • Options
    itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I decided to take a 12 hour road trip on 3 hours of sleep. Needless to say somewhere around the 8 hour mark I was having trouble staying awake at the wheel. I blinked out, and when I came to, I was driving 80 down the median... and I was approaching a bridge. I veered back onto the road at the last possible second, barely missing the guardrail for the entrance to the bridge. I looked for the next rest stop, pulled over, and took a nap after I got done crapping myself.

I had a similar experience when i was driving back to school about as year ago.

I always take the back roads up north, because it's faster than just hopping on the interstate. This particular evening, I was coming off a concert in Chicago the night before followed by a full 9 hour day of retail work that left me completely drained, with only about 4 and a half hours of sleep. About halfway through my drive, I felt my self starting to drift off, so I opened my window and hung my head against it so the cool air would keep me alert. Usually, this works fine; however, this particular instance, it wasn't quite as effective, as I woke up suddenly

in oncoming traffic

staring down another car

it was all i could do to jerk the wheel left and veer off the road and into an enormous snowbank. Afterwards I just kind of sat there for what felt like an eternity before I continued driving to somewhere safe for me to take a nap.

itsweb on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was little I went out to ride my bike around the neighborhood and realized about halfway through my little trip that I had forgotten my helmet. I forced myself to go back and get it.

After getting the helmet I went back to my usual route, which included a drop down a pretty steep hill that had this shitty asphalt that was all grainy and coming apart.

My bike hit a rock in the road, and in short succession my leg became tangled in the back spokes, the bike fell onto its side, and both the bike and I skidded about 5feet along the ground (at a pretty decent speed).

When I got up, I took off my helmet, and the side that skidded along the ground was almost completely torn off, and had been turned a solid black color from scraping itself on the pavement.

It wouldn't have killed me, but that's the closest I've come to shearing all the goddamn skin off my head.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have Crohn's disease, and I found out when I was ~12 (I actually have no idea how old I was). One night I was very sick, couldnt swallow even water without it coming right back up. The next morning my mom took my to the ER, thinking I just had a real bad flu of some kind. They had me waiting in the ER waiting room for a loooong ass time. My mom was very pissed, finally got a doctor to see me.

So yeah, I was in the ER for less than an hour before the doctor told my mom that they had to do surgery within the next hour or I was going to die. Nobody told me that though, they just said I needed an operation and I woke up after something like 8 hours in surgery. I remember this part because I was really disoriented, I guess the anesthesiologist took me off too fast. I tried to rip the catheter out and they had to knock me out again.

I was in the Hospital for over two weeks recovering. Got to play a lot of Mario Bros on their NES and they had almost every episode of Ren and Stimpy. I could only sleep on my back though, which I always sleep on my side. Thank god for the painkillers that made me sleep.

I am 23 now, have not had any further problems with it thankfully. I didn't find out until a couple years ago how close I was to deadness.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

You should have walked away.

Goose! on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was once wreslting my older brother who at the time was bout 18, I was 8 I'm prettu sure and I remember getting with a punch in the stomach only to have his head swing down and his two front teeth get stuck in the dead centre of my forehead.

I just remember the terrible sound :( I just remember blood and then passing and waking up in the hospital later.

Then another time my Aunt who is apperntely now crazy cult member, gave me some medicine to help with my fever.

It turns out she gave me her husbands heart medication and I remember the ambulance and getting my stomach pumped. But due to chest pains I was in the hospital for about week. I just remember my blood pressure was really low

The tooth stabbing though was the worst for me

Dixon on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was cutting something with the oxyacetylene torch and naturally there were sparks flying. But the hoses are pretty resistant to this shit or something, but anyway, the dumb motherfucker who was in charge of the damn thing had wrapped the hose in electrical tape to make them easier to handle. Well, these sparks ended up catching the electrical tape on fire and I'm cutting away through this big piece of metal and there's a whole lot of smoke billowing up, and I'm thinking, "What the fuck?" Well, I look down and there's these big fuckin' flames up and down the hose.

I just about shit myself, as I fucking dropped everything I was doing and then turned off the tanks. I don't really don't what happens when open flame is exposed to two hoses connecting to two large tanks full of gas, but I wasn't much in the mood to find out. Considering when you're running the torch and lighting it for the first time, sparks are enough to get the flames going, I had visions of flame being exposed straight to the tanks.

Checked out the hoses later, they were noticeably thinner where they were on fire after I stomped them out. Maybe somebody with some more knowledge could inform me of this nonsense.

I'll try and think of other times I could've died.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was a really young kid I had to get fished out of the water a few times because I had no idea how to swim and would sink like a rock if I fell off the dock. Was nature hiking, fell and was in process of sliding off of a cliff when my mom caught my hand and pulled me back up. Used to go rock climbing as a teenager all the time and had a few close calls trying to freeclimb verticle faces, had to just jump & pray a couple of times. Fell of the rope once repelling. Had some close run-ins with almost getting run over. Got shot at a bunch when I was deployed. Been in the ER a few times with unexplained heart issues. That's what I can think of right now.

Weaver on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I took an F-250 to the face on my bicycle on the way down a pretty steep hill in middle school.

I turned a 19" frame into a 17" frame and cracked my helmet. Had to throw that shit out.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    almost a boom boom.

Once you shut off the tanks you were pretty much in the clear. If you hadn't noticed we probably wouldn't be talking to you right now.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I once fell off a car going sixty miles an hour.

Yes, off, not out.

Turns out, when you're horsing around and your friend is a clueless dickhead and you act like you're humping the back of his car, when he takes off, you shouldn't fucking hang on, you should let go. Furthermore, you should let go before he achieves a fast speed.

Got a few good scars on my hip and ribs from that one. Luckily I was wearing a jacket, which saved a lot of trouble.

t MrMonroe: Yeah, that's what I figured. That's why shutting off the tanks was more important than stamping out the fire or shutting off the torch itself at the time.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I once fell off a car going sixty miles an hour.

Yes, off, not out.

Turns out, when you're horsing around and your friend is a clueless dickhead and you act like you're humping the back of his car, when he takes off, you shouldn't fucking hang on, you should let go. Furthermore, you should let go before he achieves a fast speed.

Got a few good scars on my hip and ribs from that one. Luckily I was wearing a jacket, which saved a lot of trouble.

t MrMonroe: Yeah, that's what I figured. That's why shutting off the tanks was more important than stamping out the fire or shutting off the torch itself at the time.

This past fall, my friend Seth (who is a short barrel chested guy, he looks like a tall dwarf) turned 21. He was in my Sunday DnD group, so the next session I asked him how his night went. Normal night, just got reallly smashed. After he had gotten good and drunk, the other guys decided to drive him home.

They were in a ford expedition, one of the suvs with a particularly square body and roof. While they were on the highway, Seth (riding shotgun) figured it would be a good idea to climb out of the window, get onto the roof, and then climb back into the car into the seat directly behind the driver. My friend couldn't really slow down, because it's a two way and there was traffic around them. So Seth performed this feat doing 50 mph, while drunk, and in the dark. He should be dead ten times over.

Also, he did it because he gets carsick if he rides up front, in his mind it was the only way to solve the predicament.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I pulled down Kmart clothing racks on my head a couple of times when I was a young child. Ended up with stitches in the back of my head each time.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BYToady wrote: »
    I pulled down Kmart clothing racks on my head a couple of times when I was a young child. Ended up with stitches in the back of my head each time.

Ah, repeated blows to the head, that explains it...

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ruckus wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »

Ah, repeated blows to the head, that explains it...

My mom says I did it to myself, but I think she did it to get free crap from Kmart.
    I'm kidding, I love my mom

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've had a couple moments as an idiotic teen driver.

The first was on a country road coming back from my girlfriend's house, in my mom's CRV. There was an annoying-ass june bug buzzing all around the speedometer and shit so I grabbed a tissue and the bug, and tossed it out the window. When I looked up I was going off the road and at a telephone pole. I avoided it in time and then spun all around the road until I stopped and just sort of sat there breathing in the dust cloud that I had made with my heart beating so fast.

I guess I could make a joke that it wasn't the pole that would have killed me, but my mom for hurting the CRV. Nah.

Another time was on my way back to my hometown with my friend and roommate at the time. The traffic was kind of ridiculous, especially on the opposite interstate. I noticed a car from the other side drive down into the dipped median and going "What the hell?" and watching it in my rear-view mirror, with both of us looking ahead in time to realize that, hey, the traffic is now stopped on our side of the interstate too and we are going like 65 miles an hour. Luckily the driver in the right lane saw it coming and I had sufficient room to swerve the fuck over.

Then I guess there was the other time with the same friend and our first time driving on OSU campus. It was on Canon Drive, turning across traffic to get back onto 315, at the medical center. I was sufficiently confused and had a green light so I was all "Alright here we go" but then was all "Hey that car's kind of close whoa" while my friend just sort of grabbed the "oh shit handle" like it was his only hope.

I dunno why he'd ever get in a car with me again.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a fear of being crushed by things (especially cars) and tires exploding while being aired up. Mostly because a car fell on my dad once (he managed to hold it up until two of his friends grabbed it, i wish i was as badass as my dad) and a tire actually exploded hitting the wall next to me completely shredding it(the wall) and the sleave of my jacket. If i hadn't answered the phone or moved back to where i was standing before I did I would probably be dead from it hitting me dead center in the chest.

I also almost killed myself with a motorcycle once but i'm not scared of them. I was 11 and the breaks just stopped working. I jumped off and let it get crammed into the side of the trailer pulling it and went head first into a fence pole. there were little divets in the helmet from the fence pole.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Remember those Bigwheels? Yeah, I was riding one of those around when I was 5 years old and a car almost ran me over. I was so close to the car that the driver couldn't see if he had crushed me or not so he hopped out to check. I just pedaled away.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If the wheel were a little bigger, it would have been you checking to make sure he was alright

Davoid on
    rqv6.png