As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Al Jazeera in English

13»

• Options
    hitheremynameisbobhitheremynameisbob Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the info... I swore I had read it was Saudi-based. My bad I guess. Still, Qatar needs the west just like the rest of the region. If anything, their economy is based MORE on Oil than Saudi.

I don't know where you got that quote about them being objective and all that... but you're quoting someone's opinion, not a fact. From my family's experience with them and from my own experience reading their website I can say that they most definately are NOT impartial. They are far more slanted than what the news stations you compare them to. If they investigate all sides of their stories, they sure don't report them. They editorialize almost all of their work, and you will frequently find the author's personal opinions in articles on their site. I can't really speak for the televised version, not having seen much of it, but if the website is any hint, they are not as good as you're making them out to be.

BTW, saying that they're much better than other Arab news networks doesn't really say much... I acknowledge that there's far worse out there, but really, saying that something is "Not the worst, but near it" doesn't make it seem very appealing imo.

I speak from personal experience with Al Jazeera. I have yet to see them present Israel in anywhere near the same light they present the Iraqi people, the Lebanese, or the Palestinians. I have seen numerous articles that slighted women, and have a family member that was personally ridiculed by them for being female and in business. I don't assume anything about the group... I'm just drawing rational conclusions based on what I've seen. It's entirely possible and quite probable that there are some decent journalists working for them, but they need to do a much better job in showing impartiality and progressing in the beliefs expressed in their reporting if I am to be convinced that they should be allowed to expand their broadcasting capabilities.

hitheremynameisbob on
    They say you can't breathe in space. I say, "who tried?"
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The quotes are just snippits. Go read the whole pages in the links. It won't take long.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Strangely enough, that's partly correct.

I never said that their not having the US's best interests in mind made me question their credibility, it's just something I don't like about Al Jazeera.

However, I think Americans have become jaded enough over the past several years to latch onto or strike out against almost any opposing ideas. I think Al Jazeera might just encourage some polar reactions or either extreme support or extreme opposition. I don't want to see people starting to think women are inferior any more than I want to see another anti-Islamic backlash.

It's things like their selective journalism (Rarely will they cover a story showing the effects of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict on Israeli civilians, but Palestinian sob stories are up there every day) and their pre-disposed bias towards the west (They never acknowledge that maybe the US and the rest of the Western nations are acting to protect their own citizens... just that they are acting to hurt Muslims or steal their oil, ect...) They refuse to cover more than one side of issues, and that is what makes them incredible, irresponsible journalists. I'm not going to say that the same doesn't happen over here, but the extent to which it does is much more tolerable than the degrees to which Al Jazeera doctors and selects its material.

Now then, just about all news channels select their news, a MP's affair will get more news coverage than a genocide in Africa. All news organisations show news that people want to hear. Most people wouldn't buy newspapers if all it had was distant conflicts in faraway places, they want local news, even if its not very important or biased.

On the second highlighted point, how many western news channels and newspapers have you seen that look at the points of view of terrorists and insurgents (one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter).

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just watched "Prisoner 345". It's that and things like The Road to Guantanamo that really scare the crap out of me. It's this sort of stuff that barely gets reported elsewhere but is probably what frightens me more than anything else about the BA's implementation of the WoT. The's plenty of interviews with former prisoners, and even people who formerly worked their, all saying that torture and abuse are standard, and the crazy stuff they do to these people, but it just isn't covered, or at least not enough beyond the standard 'there are some allegations of abuse' line, before moving on to the next story.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    If you read my earlier posts, I say that every news company is selective. However, most are not selective to the point where they can severely distort what happened, and most do not do so to benefit one race or ethnic group or nation and undermine another. Even when there are instances of blatant selectivity in US news organizations, they are NOT the norm, they are the exception. When I say Al Jazeera is selective, I mean they are almost all the time. I'm not speaking in absolutes. Everything is a shade of grey. But Al Jazeera happens to be a lot more to the unethical side than its US counterparts. If it cleans up, then I'd be happy to have an alternative viewpoint expressed here. But they have to address the fact that as things stand, they are very much in favor of Arab nations when they present their reports.

hitheremynameisbob on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    As has been drawn to my attention, this is the incorrect site, disregard :P

hitheremynameisbob on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Disregard :P

hitheremynameisbob on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Enough talking in generalizations, here's an example:
    These are this weeks top stories from www.aljazeera.com

“U.S. aircraft carrier cruising in Gulf”

Israel getting ready for war against Hezbollah, Syria

Israel’s massacre in Gaza slammed worldwide

Israel steps up anti-Iran rhetoric

Israeli jets “threatened” French troops in Lebanon

Hezbollah ministers quit cabinet

Saddam calls for reconciliation

Iran’s nuke program “almost complete” – Ahmadinejad

Rumsfeld faces abuse charges in Germany

AL condemns U.S. veto on UN resolution against Israel

No pro-Israeli or pro-US articles. Plenty of anti-Israeli topics and a couple anti-US topics. This is what I'm talking about. If they want to be objective, they have to throw in a couple topics that mention the Israeli peace efforts, or some good news from Iraq. There ARE positive things to report out there, but they choose only to report about Israel and the US in negative lights.
    That's Al Jazeera's webiste? That's what you've been talking about? Good God.

This is Al Jazeera's website. Here's their English website.

What you linked is an unrelated website.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    wow... yeah, I just looked into that a little, you're right.

The site I was looking at is unafiliated with the real Al Jazeera, mine is based in Dubai.

Strange, there's gotta be some kind of copyright infraction there, but no matter. I guess I retract all that stuff I said then.

Although a member of my family was interviewed by the REAL Al Jazeera, and they were still very anti-feminist, but I guess I need to start reading the correct site before I say anything else. Sorry for making the mistake: you can see how it happened, though, they run a well-made webpage at www.aljazeera.com

hitheremynameisbob on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

The site I was looking at is unafiliated with the real Al Jazeera, mine is based in Dubai.

Strange, there's gotta be some kind of copyright infraction there, but no matter. I guess I retract all that stuff I said then.

Although a member of my family was interviewed by the REAL Al Jazeera, and they were still very anti-feminist, but I guess I need to start reading the correct site before I say anything else. Sorry for making the mistake: you can see how it happened, though, they run a well-made webpage at www.aljazeera.com

That would be trademark infringement...

:sigh:

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That streaming video only lasted for 15 minutes, then it wanted me to subscribe, what to do? :S

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Goumindong wrote:

I want to say something snarky about your condescension, but being a patronizing dick myself, I don't have the moral highground to pull it off.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it's great they have Al Jazeera in English. I'd like to know what the topics of conversation are without a translater. I may not agree with most of what they are saying but being able to understand them helps me at least hear them.

Tumbler 360 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Goumindong wrote:

I want to say something snarky about your condescension, but being a patronizing dick myself, I don't have the moral highground to pull it off.

Aren't they causing real harm to Al Jazeera by pretending to be them? This seems like the kinda of thing that would be eaten alive by lawyers.

jothki on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    They sure are. This was a perfect practical example of it.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Irrelevent, The mag started in 1992

[quote=About Us]About Aljazeera.com
    Aljazeera Publishing owns and operates Aljazeera.com, bringing you the world today. Aljazeera Publishing is an independent media organisation established in 1992 in London. Aljazeera.com has a particular focus on events and issues in the Middle East covering major developments presenting facts as they happen.

Important note: Aljazeera Publishing and Aljazeera.com are not associated with the controversial Arabic Satellite Channel known as Jazeera Space Channel TV (also known as Al-Jazeera Satellite Channel) station whose website is Aljazeera.net.

Aljazeera Publishing disassociates itself from the views, opinions and broadcasts of Jazeera Space Channel TV station.[/quote]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Curses! Reality trumps indignation once again!

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anyone been keeping track of this?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg