As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't you see the signs man!

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Because I do care about these things, I have to say that I disagree with the classification "anti-semitic propaganda". Disagreeing with what Israel does in Gaza does not mean you hate jews, it just means you disagree with what Israel is doing in Gaza.

But more importantly, the opening post is full of shit.

Edit: ok my browser failed somehow, that was supposed to be a reply to a post like an hour ago

I'm pretty sure you hold the power to edit the OP.

Pretty sure.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Because I do care about these things, I have to say that I disagree with the classification "anti-semitic propaganda". Disagreeing with what Israel does in Gaza does not mean you hate jews, it just means you disagree with what Israel is doing in Gaza.

Edit: ok my browser failed somehow, that was supposed to be a reply to a post like an hour ago

Disagreeing with what Israel is doing in Gaza is not inherently anti-semitic

Accusing Jews of secretly plotting to conquer the lands of other peoples is.

Evander on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What about accusing Israel of secretly plotting to conquer the lands of other peoples?

LTM on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    LTM wrote: »
    What about accusing Israel of secretly plotting to conquer the lands of other peoples?

Seeing as there is fuck-all evidence for that, anyone who makes the accusation is either a moron or an antisemite.

Seriously. If Israel was some land-hungry imperialistic state, then how would one account for all of the land that Israel has given away?

Evander on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are the Jews behind this toll-free number that keeps calling my cell phone

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I know that sometimes people feel foolish when they find out that they've unwittingly bought in to a line of bigotted bullshit, but that's what happens sometimes. Europeans used to honestly believe that American Indian males lactated. Most of them weren't hate-mongers, they just made the mistake of believing something that some one else had told them becauise it sounded right at the time.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Are the Jews behind this toll-free number that keeps calling my cell phone

no, that's mexicans

Jews don't speak spanish, they speak Ladino

Evander on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Pretty sure.

I do, that was my point. The OP is terrible by choice, you might call it an artistic statement.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Pretty sure.

I do, that was my point. The OP is terrible by choice, you might call it an artistic statement.

shitting on a canvas is only art if there is meaning behind it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Maybe I just like shit. Don't judge me!

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Maybe I just like shit. Don't judge me!

if you don't want to be judged, don't make dumb threads

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Too true evander. Though I am giving the impression of being a bit more of a douchebag than I really am right now. Don't get me wrong, I am a douchebag, just not quite this much of one.

Here is the deal, straight up cards on the table. I was having a discussion with a few friends on the kind of stuff going on in the middle east. The thought that the current world events in some ways look similar to those that happened at the start of world war 2 occurred to me. I made this thread because I thought it was neat.

Thats it. The opening post is obviously not an accurate report of the current world situation, and was not meant to be viewed as such, neither does it represent my own personal opinion. I wrote it the way I did because I thought it made a better story that way. I was hoping there might be some discussion o the subject of the political and religious conflicts in the middle east, or possibly some discussion of pasta.

I did not mean to give offence, none of my posts were written in a serious tone.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dude, relating something to World War 2 is not a special skill.

I can related pretty much anything to World War 2.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think we are done here. Good job shitting on the thread Evander.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    don't blame me, man.

you're the one who thought you had to come defend it.

I would have ignored it if you hadn't kept going on about how it was your artistic vision

Evander on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think we are done here. Good job shitting on the thread Evander.

your thread was already shitty

evander did nothing of the sort

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    iStevoiStevo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Back to pasta now?

We had a lot more traffic in here when we were being nerdy.

iStevo on
    ...I'm so hip, I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Did we do "The Rebel Alliance can be viewed as the bad guys" already?

Because that is one of my favorites.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Go.

The Emperor threw around so much propaganda I don't doubt 90% of the galaxy hated the Rebellion and everything they 'stood for'.

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I thought I made myself clear, but I will give it one last shot. The OP does not represent my view, and when evander seemed to be offended by it I just wanted to make it clear that it was indeed bullshit. I have not tried to defend my thread, the "artistic vision" and pretty much everything else was meant as sarcasm.

But yes, obviously I have failed. Serves me right for trying to use sarcasm on the internet I suppose.

Edit: Ok, letting it go now.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    obviously I have failed.

well if you hadn't already, you sure as shit have now.

edit: Vic, your problem isn't trying to use sarcasm, it is caring. Read my sig.

Evander on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    iStevo wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Ah.

I don't really care about that kind of stuff, thats just what it sounded like based off that radio thing you were talking about.

the radio thing is unrelated.

I was talking about the origins of Judeophobia in the ancient world.

Whatever floats your boat, man.

How 'bout them Super Star Destroyers?

I liked it better when we were talking about Star Destroyers.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Go.

The Emperor threw around so much propaganda I don't doubt 90% of the galaxy hated the Rebellion and everything they 'stood for'.

The Empire WAS voted in, as well.

And what exactly have the Jedis done for the common people?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Enacting their master plan of getting thair shit ruined by one dude in a heavy cape and putting all their hopes and dreams on a young farmboy and his nubile twin sister.

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    obviously I have failed.

well if you hadn't already, you sure as shit have now.

edit: Vic, your problem isn't trying to use sarcasm, it is caring. Read my sig.

I know! I am still new at SE++, because I make the damn mistake of being too damn serious all the time. When people make posts just to tell me how much I suck it actually makes me feel bad.

I am such easy trollbait.

On the other hand, I sure love pasta. I sometimes make a sort of pasta-wok by frying red onions, garlic and parsnip and then pouring cream over it. Surprisingly good.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I forget which book it was in, but in the time after Endor and before the fall of Courascant the Empire spun the death of the Emperor and loss of the second Death Star into some sort of heroic sacrifice and ultimate moral victory over the vile rebels.

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am such easy trollbait.

Don't play the victim, vic. It's not my fault that you made a shitty thread.

And I thought you said that you had dropped this.

If all you really just want to do is get the last word, I can oblige you by letting you get the last word over, and over, and over again.

Evander on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I forget which book it was in, but in the time after Endor and before the fall of Courascant the Empire spun the death of the Emperor and loss of the second Death Star into some sort of heroic sacrifice and ultimate moral victory over the vile rebels.

rogue squadron, when they take coruscant they go through the museum which details that.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I've only ever read a couple of the books, but that sounds pretty interesting

Evander on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Go.

Their entire outfit is just a protection racket for planets.

Hey, there, Alderon. That's a real nice globe you got there. Be a shame if something were to happen to it.

on the sort of topic: Israel is not helped by the very few people who are fundamentalists and think they have a god-given right to their settlements.

The idea that Israel would secretly have plans to drive out the Palestinians and is going about those plans by forcibly removing settlers from Palestinian territory is pretty silly.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Go.

Their entire outfit is just a protection racket for planets.

Hey, there, Alderon. That's a real nice globe you got there. Be a shame if something were to happen to it.

on the sort of topic: Israel is not helped by the very few people who are fundamentalists and think they have a god-given right to their settlements.

The idea that Israel would secretly have plans to drive out the Palestinians and is going about those plans by forcibly removing settlers from Palestinian territory is pretty silly.

Every country has a lunatic fringe.

Israel's poor public image has to do with a lot more than just a few Orthodox settlers who tried to fight back against the military police when the Israeli government was removing them in order to give Gaza over completely to the Palestinians.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mysst wrote: »

rogue squadron, when they take coruscant they go through the museum which details that.

Thankee-sai.

iStevo on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Seeing as there is fuck-all evidence for that, anyone who makes the accusation is either a moron or an antisemite.

Seriously. If Israel was some land-hungry imperialistic state, then how would one account for all of the land that Israel has given away?

That person being a moron notwithstanding, the fact that you add "or an anti-semite" is the problem.

Nowhere in that statement is there anything inherently anti-semitic.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That person being a moron notwithstanding, the fact that you add "or an anti-semite" is the problem.

Nowhere in that statement is there anything inherently anti-semitic.

The statement itself is a modern version of anti-semitic, anti-Judaic, and Judeophobic propaganda that has been around since ancient Egypt.

You play semantics all you like, I'm talking about actual history.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The delicate dance of light across the waters of Caladan.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'm sure I could pull that in towards Krystalnacht.

the light glinting off of the broken shards of glass in the streets.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Touché

I'm somewhat concerned (and this is not directed specifically at you, Evander) that it is considered anti-Semitic to critique the policies of the Israeli government.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Touché

I'm somewhat concerned (and this is not directed specifically at you, Evander) that it is considered anti-Semitic to critique the policies of the Israeli government.

It isn't, if you are actually going after the policies.

Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant, or a member of AIPAC.

Seriously, fuck AIPAC.

Evander on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It does bear noting that Israel has only ever "given away" land that was taken by force in the first place.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    It does bear noting that Israel has only ever "given away" land that was taken by force in the first place.

"Taken by force" is an interesting term to use here, because all of the land that Israel has taken they acquired during defensive wars.

Evander on