As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero: Use the other thread

• Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oh right I forgot

Do I lose my scorehero membership?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Watch this

The whole thing.
    And you have to like it.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I watched the whole thing.

At least a couple of the parts actually looked fun to play. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Are you deaf? Did you actually listen to that thing?

glithert on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    were the drums in that sampled from st anger or something
    because they sounded fucking horrible, see

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    were the drums in that sampled from st anger or something

Where are you in Shadow Complex? I'm about to beat your high-score.

On-topic: It is a GH: Metallica custom, so they just might be.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think they were played by Sammy Hagar.
    Am I doing this right?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i beat it once with maybe a 60% item clear, then beat it again with status update: single

then spent most of today watching stuff on netflix

how about that ghwts we should probably play some this weekend

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think they were played by Sammy Hagar.
    Am I doing this right?

eff you, man

Eff you

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    glithert wrote: »

Are you deaf? Did you actually listen to that thing?

That's why it's "at least".

Maybe I've been desensitized to shitty midi.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i beat it once with maybe a 60% item clear, then beat it again with status update: single

then spent most of today watching stuff on netflix

how about that ghwts we should probably play some this weekend

I just got the foam
    This doesn't make sense

glithert on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is from the artist list that David_T posted earlier. These are my best guesses (and wishes) as to what the songs will be:

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
    blink-182 - What's My Age Again? (though I secretly pray at night for Man Overboard)
    Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
    Duffy - Mercy
    Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf (my most logical guess, but...it's been a while since RB2...)
    Jesse McCartney - Beautiful Soul
    Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
    Pink - Please Don't Leave Me (only because So What is DLC for GHWT)
    Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue - Kids
    The Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed
    The Killers - All These Things That I've Done
    The Turtles - Happy Together
    Snow Patrol - Run (I will be so pissed if it's Chasing Cars, hate that song so much)
    Spice Girls - Wannabe

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is from the artist list that David_T posted earlier. These are my best guesses (and wishes) as to what the songs will be:

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
    blink-182 - What's My Age Again? (though I secretly pray at night for Man Overboard)
    Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
    Duffy - Mercy
    Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf (my most logical guess, but...it's been a while since RB2...)
    Jesse McCartney - Beautiful Soul
    Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
    Pink - Please Don't Leave Me (only because So What is DLC for GHWT)
    Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue - Kids
    The Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed
    The Killers - All These Things That I've Done
    The Turtles - Happy Together
    Snow Patrol - Run (I will be so pissed if it's Chasing Cars, hate that song so much)
    Spice Girls - Wannabe

Good guesses, except for "What's My Age Again" which is dlc for GH:WT...so I'm sure that won't be it. I'm actually hoping it's "All The Small Things" or "Adam's Song".

Preferably "Adam's Song" though...such a fantastic song.

I would love if "Karma Chameleon" is the Culture Club song. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And "Hungry Like The Wolf" is on GH5, so probably not that.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Duran Duran - "Rio"

That is what I would like.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I do like the list, but it still seems kind of rock-oriented. Especially with Duran Duran appearing in GH several times over already.

I mean, if you're going to go pop, go pop, dammit. Otherwise you're going to have people thinking it's just another Guitar Hero (especially with the name).

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I do like the list, but it still seems kind of rock-oriented. Especially with Duran Duran appearing in GH several times over already.

I mean, if you're going to go pop, go pop, dammit. Otherwise you're going to have people thinking it's just another Guitar Hero (especially with the name).

This is about the unnamed Band Hero tracks? Some of those do straddle a line but they're definitely pop-oriented. Hungry Like the Wolf might be the most 'rock' sounding, but Duran Duran is still a pop group and it would already be eliminated from contention... Well, maybe... We're talking about Activision here.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

This is about the unnamed Band Hero tracks? Some of those do straddle a line but they're definitely pop-oriented. Hungry Like the Wolf might be the most 'rock' sounding, but Duran Duran is still a pop group and it would already be eliminated from contention... Well, maybe... We're talking about Activision here.

That's the thing: aside from maybe the Spice Girls, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne, Marvin Gaye and Pink, pretty much everything on the Band Hero list could be in a Guitar Hero game (and, in the case of several artists, already has). It's just going to make it that much harder for Activision to explain to people why Band Hero is different from Guitar Hero.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not really, it's rather ingenius actually. Make a pop centered Hero game, one that you don't think the regular Guitar Hero fans will be interested in buying...then add in several songs that would interest the regular Guitar Hero folks and that then equals more of a chance those GH fans will buy their pop centered game.

Pop Hero + Guitar Hero + Rolling Stones + Don McLean + ??? = Profit!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Not really, it's rather ingenius actually. Make a pop centered Hero game, one that you don't think the regular Guitar Hero fans will be interested in buying...then add in several songs that would interest the regular Guitar Hero folks and that then equals more of a chance those GH fans will buy their pop centered game.

Pop Hero + Guitar Hero + Rolling Stones + Don McLean + ??? = Profit!

Maybe, but the two real flaws in the plan are 1) "Band Hero" isn't a name that sums up the game beautifully, you have to take the time to explain it to a potential audience with a five-second attention span, and 2) they're releasing this game two months after another "main" Guitar Hero game and expecting them to buy something extremely similar again.

And I'd say it's more than "several" songs that would fit in Guitar Hero. Hell, GH:WT had Michael Jackson.

Though to be fair nearly everything in Lego Rock Band would be easily expected to show up in the regular Rock Band too.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It doesn't matter if it's Harmonix or Activision, Lego Rock Band and Band Hero is a lousy attempt to get another game on the shelves, and in both cases they will still sell well. Heck I'm planning on buying Band Hero just because they added several songs I have been hoping they would add to a Guitar Hero game.

The down side is Lego Rock Band is much easier to show off as a RB game for younger people since...well....it's Legos and junk, so like you said it's an easier sell.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's no secret that disc games sell more than DLC does, so it's perfectly understandable that companies would want to continue to make disc based games, instead of DLC.

And hell, how long has it been since RB2 came out? Over a year? I'd say that's perfectly acceptable.

Personally, I like getting like 80 songs for 60 bucks, thats a great deal.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In the long run, it's cheaper than dlc....so in a way, I agree.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, assuming you don't cherry-pick. Disk-based content expansion for music games means you pay for songs you don't want. Song-for-song DLC is more expensive, but it does give you the luxury of picking and choosing.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Whoops, you'll have to excuse a portion of that earlier post. Thought I clicked on the RB thread.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

That's the thing: aside from maybe the Spice Girls, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne, Marvin Gaye and Pink, pretty much everything on the Band Hero list could be in a Guitar Hero game (and, in the case of several artists, already has). It's just going to make it that much harder for Activision to explain to people why Band Hero is different from Guitar Hero.

You're getting hung up on semantics. The presence or prominence of guitars in a song does not take away that the song or artist is pop-oriented. Guitar Hero was always more 'harder edged' (though GH:WT was more schizophrenic in it's music choices...).

However, I feel you're right in that Activision is doing an incredibly poor job in distinguishing the game as being somehow separate from the 'hard stuff'. But I doubt anybody is going to be seriously confused by looking at the track list.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

You're getting hung up on semantics. The presence or prominence of guitars in a song does not take away that the song or artist is pop-oriented. Guitar Hero was always more 'harder edged' (though GH:WT was more schizophrenic in it's music choices...).

However, I feel you're right in that Activision is doing an incredibly poor job in distinguishing the game as being somehow separate from the 'hard stuff'. But I doubt anybody is going to be seriously confused by looking at the track list.

I disagree. It's not semantics, it's music style. There's pop rock, and then there's pure pop. Blink-182 is a wee bit different than the Spice Girls. No one would argue they're the same.

I'm certainly not against pop rock, and over-exposure to Taylor Swift aside the setlist is kinda neat. I just wish they'd really take advantage of the new direction and give us a completely different musical experience than Guitar Hero, rather than having a bunch of songs that could have easily been played in Guitar Hero.

And I do think the track list could potentially confuse people, considering the name of the game is confusing enough. Especially since GH:WT had plenty of pop rock and just plain pop to begin with. The biggest thing Activision is going to fight against is "how exactly is this different than Guitar Hero?" and I think Activision could have done a better job of showing it than just a light sprinkling of Taylor Swift.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i don't think activision will worry about "how is this different from GH" and instead will go with "hey we put out 6 more hero games this year WHY HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT THEM ALL"

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cloud, I like Taylor Swift. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, I'm not exactly a fan of Taylor Swift
    GODDAMMIT STOP DOING DREAMY BLATHER ABOUT ROMEO AND JULIET THEY FALL INTO DESPAIR AND KILL THEMSELVES AT THE END OF THE PLAY THAT ISN'T ROMANTIC GRAAAAAHHHH ENGLISH NERD RAAAAAGE
    but I wasn't slamming her in the second reference, just pointing out that she's one of the few things in Band Hero that wouldn't be expected in Guitar Hero.

Come to think about it, why the hell didn't they just call it "Pop Hero?" That would have solved most of Activision's marketing difficulties right there.

But Dehumanized is right, the devs probably didn't have time to really take full advantage of the new direction with Bobby Kotick breathing down their necks for 47 more Hero games.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think they should've just called it Pop Hero also, but oh well. I'm looking forward to it to be honest.

Oh, and I have done much schooling in English and classic literature, but it doesn't bother me, her using Romeo and Juliet as a love song blather. It is a fun little song.

She probably doesn't know how it ends, considering her age. She also mentions the scarlet letter in the song, and I'm not going off about what the scarlet letter actually meant, I just let it be since she is probably too young to know any better.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So many people have suggested that it be named Pop Hero that I've lost count.

Besides, I think you guys aren't seeing the big picture here. Activision is doing a poor job marketing Band Hero because they don't care. It's obvious that they think the Guitar Hero brand is strong enough to sell games by itself (and they're right, mostly). The people in charge of "marketing" Guitar Hero are probably just binging on coke and whores full-time now.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I think they should've just called it Pop Hero also, but oh well. I'm looking forward to it to be honest.

Oh, and I have done much schooling in English and classic literature, but it doesn't bother me, her using Romeo and Juliet as a love song blather. It is a fun little song.

She probably doesn't know how it ends, considering her age. She also mentions the scarlet letter in the song, and I'm not going off about what the scarlet letter actually meant, I just let it be since she is probably too young to know any better.

Oh lord, don't remind me about the random Scarlet Letter reference. I'll agree that the music and singing in the song are good, but I'm the type that just can't get past certain lyrics. I've been told by my fiancee (who doesn't pay attention to lyrics) that I do that too much. Then again I've accidentally ruined songs for her by telling them what they're actually about. Like how "Dr. Feelgood" is all about drugs. She thought it was about just feeling good. :P

Edit: And Glithert, I think you nailed Activision's thinking, but GH sales are dropping fast. (So are Rock Band's, to be fair.) Not to mention Band Hero's being released just two months after another Guitar Hero. It might have worked if it were released next spring, but it's just too soon.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [...]
    Come to think about it, why the hell didn't they just call it "Pop Hero?" That would have solved most of Activision's marketing difficulties right there.

But Dehumanized is right, the devs probably didn't have time to really take full advantage of the new direction with Bobby Kotick breathing down their necks for 47 more Hero games.

Who says they didn't suggest Pop Hero as a title? There is still a sizable anti-'pop' sentiment in the music scenes. Which is also why that couldn't go to a pure pop soundtrack. If anything, it's a lazy cross-over aimed precisely at the audience they expect to buy the game in the first place.

What was it you said?
    Blink-182 is a wee bit different than the Spice Girls. No one would argue they're the same.

Nobody is arguing that they're the same. But Blink-182 has about the same amount of depth to them as the Spice Girls ever did. Catchy, bouncy tunes that appeal to a wide audience. In both cases, they're despised by 'real rock/music fans' as being overrated, overhyped pieces of garbage. And, despite the negative description, that's the very essence of popular music. Appending it with -rock or -punk or whatever doesn't change that.

And limiting your playlist to those of a Taylor Swift ilk will only serve to severely limit the audience. The name Band Hero allows them to add slightly harder songs without sacrificing the audience friendly 'nature' of the game. At the cost of being confusing to everybody else who's been paying attention the last four years. But that's not the intended audience. They could just as easily add My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy to the song list and still be firmly withing the pop genre.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nobody is arguing that they're the same. But Blink-182 has about the same amount of depth to them as the Spice Girls ever did. Catchy, bouncy tunes that appeal to a wide audience. In both cases, they're despised by 'real rock/music fans' as being overrated, overhyped pieces of garbage. And, despite the negative description, that's the very essence of popular music. Appending it with -rock or -punk or whatever doesn't change that.

I think you missed something there. You'd expect Blink-182 to be in vanilla Guitar Hero. You wouldn't expect the Spice Girls. There's plenty of pop in Guitar Hero already, so why would people buy this Band Hero when there's a new Guitar Hero with plenty of pop in it released just two months before?
    And limiting your playlist to those of a Taylor Swift ilk will only serve to severely limit the audience. The name Band Hero allows them to add slightly harder songs without sacrificing the audience friendly 'nature' of the game. At the cost of being confusing to everybody else who's been paying attention the last four years. But that's not the intended audience. They could just as easily add My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy to the song list and still be firmly withing the pop genre.

But that's just the thing--Guitar Hero is ALREADY "audience friendly." Even casuals who rarely play video games flock to Guitar Hero. That just goes back to my core argument--there's precious little in Band Hero that would really feel different to a casual audience. It's not just confusing to people who have paid attention, it's confusing to people who haven't paid much attention.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know how this fits into the argument, but Band Hero will let you sing about the fun times you had at the Young Men's Christian Association.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If this has been answered in some way, then you'll have to forgive me as I haven't been following the thread. But...

How is it that I am still the ONLY friend code in the wiki for Guitar Hero Metallica for Wii?

I refuse to believe that I'm the only one on this forum that has GH: Metallica Wii. If that really is the case, then that's just
    sad but true.
    Okay, even I can admit that was corny and unforgivable. I am the Unforgiven.
    Okay, I'll stop. :)

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    because they don't care

Does this explain it yet?

Perhaps it would be best if you could simply clarify your argument by stating specifically what it is about these bands that make them inappropriate as 'Pop Hero' fodder (or at least explain what you feel 'rock oriented' means and why it can't also be pop). But if the argument nothing more than 'female fronted groups that churn out mindless, Top-40 radio friendly unit shifters', then I'm already getting that message. Which, in that case, Band Hero is probably the most appropriate title they can use since they're not going for a 'pure' pop track list anyway.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    because they don't care

Does this explain it yet?

Perhaps it would be best if you could simply clarify your argument by stating specifically what it is about these bands that make them inappropriate as 'Pop Hero' fodder (or at least explain what you feel 'rock oriented' means and why it can't also be pop). But if the argument nothing more than 'female fronted groups that churn out mindless, Top-40 radio friendly unit shifters', then I'm already getting that message. Which, in that case, Band Hero is probably the most appropriate title they can use since they're not going for a 'pure' pop track list anyway.

I wasn't thinking female-fronted, I was thinking of music acts that don't automatically translate to a singer, guitarist, bassist and drummer in every song. The acts that haven't really been represented in Guitar Hero at this point. Honestly, this is just me thinking of ways that a hypothetical Pop Hero could much more fully differentiate itself from Guitar Hero and automatically make the most casual of casuals instantly and quickly realize that this is a different kind of music they haven't necessarily experienced before in Guitar Hero, thus becoming a more effective extension of the "Hero" brand and attracting more buyers. Hell, I might buy it if done right.

As opposed to the current game, which might as well be titled "Guitar Hero: We Know You Just Bought The Last Game Two Months Ago, But We're Hoping You'll Buy Another One More Or Less Just Like It."

Yeah, the the amount of thought Activision put into this was quarter-assed, at best.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm just trying to point out that 'traditional' rock band setups don't preclude pop-orientation. Plugging a guitar into an amplifier doesn't immediately make one into James Hetfield. Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters were both bluesmen though they played distinctly different styles and sounds of the blues...
    Spice Girls, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne, Marvin Gaye and Pink

This was your original example of what qualifies as pop (I choose to ignore Marvin Gaye... Yes, he's pop, too, but c'mon... That dude was identified with the soul sound) and it's a pretty female dominated list. And at some point, they all incorporate the 'traditional' rock band setup.

Sadly, the argument that certain bands/artists aren't 'real' pop is not unlike 'It's called ROCK Band not COUNTRY Band'... I can get where you're coming from, but even Activision's own apathy toward their product can't get in the way of peppering the 'lighter' game with hits a wider audience can identify with.

Santa Claustrophobia on