Options

WH40K: DoW2 multiplayer thread. Now with more jailings!

• Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The second time I crossed paths with Kharn was in a later stage in the campaign. We were besieging one of the major hives of the planet, and I tell you what that place was locked up tighter than a Dark Eldar's pants. My commander, Oxlor the Vilest was stuck in an argument with some idiot leader of some group of Death Guard. You could see the smell it was so bad. I could tell Oxlor wasn't happy, since everyone knows the Death Guard's answer to everything is to just walk at it and watch your bits fly off. Not so good for us soft and squishy guys.

Out of nowhere, this big hand grabs our commander by the shoulder and just hefts him aside, three whole trenches back where he rebounds off a basilisk. The crew was so shocked they fired off a round on a horrible trajectory, and the shell streaked high into the sky.

Kharn the Betrayer just himself dusts himself down, and then picks back up what he had been holding. Now, I'm no techpriest and I never will be, but I know a nuclear warhead when I see it. I don't know where he got it.

No one says anything, so The Betrayer just punches the Plague marine in the face, and stuffs the warhead into the leaking mess of his stomach while he's still reeling. No run up, no preparation. He just fucking throws the other marine into the air at the hive. For a moment it actually looks like he's thrown the warp-damned fool OVER the hive, but as he flies over the top the basilisk shell comes down and spears him through the whole hive! There's a low boom noise, the ground shakes, and then the whole hive IMPLODES!

Everything clears, and Kharn looks at me, and I feel about one foot tall. I don't know if he recognised me, but he leans down and whispers. Kharn WHISPERS to me. "I was trying to hit the Emperor's Children on the other side" he confides in me, and then nudges me as though it's supposed to be our little secret.

I was in traction for a MONTH.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    Cohsae wrote: »
    The problem with adding more races is that more races = more balancing issues.
    F'reals. Relic haven't even shown themselves capable of balancing four races yet.

[edit]I realise 'even' makes this sound like any Tom Dick or Harry could do it, which obviously isn't true, but still.

Yeah we all want an ideal perfect balance, but is there any rts other than Starcraft that is damn near perfect? And that's only 3 races.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The "Chaos is boring" argument seems weaker every time I read one of these...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    New thread new Dreadnought

dread.jpg

Dreadnaught.jpg

Needed more dakka.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dakka = Sepia?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I want to see a looted dreadnought.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dakka = Sepia?

You made me google "Sepia", you know. D:

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Airan wrote: »
    Can any relic devs answer some of my questions regarding the content of the full game?

- Will there be more customizable options for unranked matches? Like increasing/decreasing the number of VP needed to win the game, resource generation rates, etc etc? NOT ON RELEASE (but alternate modes are something we're probably going to offer as free DLC )

- Any chance of 4v4 or 2v2? NOT ON RELEASE (though you can 2v2 now in custom matches, and 2v2 maps are on the list for DLC)

- How many multiplayer maps will be out in the release? I'm more looking for the 3v3 ones (since I don't like 1v1). SEVEN TOTAL (and more coming over the next few months)

- Any map making tools on release? NOT ON RELEASE (but it's on our list of free DLC content as soon as it's practical. Keep in mind there's a lot of work needed to package it up, make it user friendly and even user functional, since our internal map making tool was meant to be used with our art pipeline, exporters, shaders, version control software, etc.

Just want to add, because this comes up a lot in other forums: We are not against modding.

Let me say that again: WE. ARE. NOT. AGAINST. MODDING.

We didn't ship a map editor because there's a metric shit ton of work involved in converting our internal editor to function outside of Relic, and we simply didn't have the time or resources to work on it prior to release.

And while there's some pretty bullshit and paranoid theories out there as to why we didn't ship modding tools, any other reason ascribed to our lack of modding tools besides "not enough time/resources" is just...wrong.

Croak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Croak wrote: »
    Can any relic devs answer some of my questions regarding the content of the full game?

- Will there be more customizable options for unranked matches? Like increasing/decreasing the number of VP needed to win the game, resource generation rates, etc etc? NOT ON RELEASE (but alternate modes are something we're probably going to offer as free DLC )

- Any chance of 4v4 or 2v2? NOT ON RELEASE (though you can 2v2 now in custom matches, and 2v2 maps are on the list for DLC)

- How many multiplayer maps will be out in the release? I'm more looking for the 3v3 ones (since I don't like 1v1). SEVEN TOTAL (and more coming over the next few months)

- Any map making tools on release? NOT ON RELEASE (but it's on our list of free DLC content as soon as it's practical. Keep in mind there's a lot of work needed to package it up, make it user friendly and even user functional, since our internal map making tool was meant to be used with our art pipeline, exporters, shaders, version control software, etc.

Just want to add, because this comes up a lot in other forums: We are not against modding.

We didn't ship a map editor because there's a metric shit ton of work involved in converting our internal editor to function outside of Relic, and we simply didn't have the time or resources to work on it prior to release.

And while there's some pretty bullshit and paranoid theories out there as to why we didn't ship modding tools, any other reason ascribed to our lack of modding tools besides "not enough time/resources" is just...wrong.

You people confuse me. If all game developers took the time to be this frank about their decisions the world would be a better place filled with happier, more content gamers. Why are you being so open and honest? Are you an agent of the coming darkness?

<3

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ((Your forced my hand Croak :P))

Admit it: good mods suck away the power from your Dark Masters, invoking the blood curse put upon your company by the old gods and banishing you to the Nevernever

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seven MP maps on release is pretty weak, especially if the jungle one in the beta is one of them.

Here's hoping we don't have to pay for any more official ones because I can't see that working out well.

815165 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Next expansion races.

Daemon Hunters and Daemon of Chaos

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

You people confuse me. If all game developers took the time to be this frank about their decisions the world would be a better place filled with happier, more content gamers. Why are you being so open and honest? Are you an agent of the coming darkness?

<3

I think it's because (compared to the rest of the internet) we are intellegent people who aren't going to recact violently to any sort of responce... except for Eldar getting nerfed, that crosses the line :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

<3

Probably not. Croak has repeated here info that has already been released at some point before. Hell, I could have answered Airan's questions with those responses.

Still doesn't change the fact that he's a swell guy for taking the time to respond directly, though.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tagged for future reading.

Edit: also just pre-ordered through steam.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Insanity wrote: »
    Ooo, I don't have that one, mind posting it?
    "It's my day off!"
    It was a normal day, just like any other, almost. Commissars were shooting their men, Slaanesh followers were orgasming to death, and you know, the same shit. But there I was, with the Red Rivers, sitting on some shithole of a bunker, when we just heard this loud crash. Of course, we thought it was an attack, it being in the middle of the damn night and all. A few of the guardsmen jumped next to the bunker wall, while I hit the ground. Suddenly, another crash was heard, this time closer. It sounded like it came from the inside of the bunker.

“IT’S MY DAY OFF!” Kharn spoke as he broke the reinforced concrete wall, smashed a few guardsman directly in his path, and ran off. I didn’t know what had happened until a bit later.

Across the land, several hundred kilometers out, lived a farmer, who took care of his heard of bronto-cattle. When he awoke this day, he grabbed his boots, put on his hat, got his tools, and stepped out the door, where several hundred dinosaur sized cattle were flipped on their backs with their insides scatter around the field. Carved in each one with what looked like a rusty fence post was the words “IT’S MY DAY OFF”.

Blood of the virgins, skin of the innocent, bones of the pure, all laid out in a complex pattern. The cultists performed the exact ritual, syllable to movements, all in accordance with whatever Tzeentch had wished. Skies were darkening, wildlife fleeing, storms that shouldn’t happen this time of year started appearing. Then, out from the bushes, Kharn leapt, slamming a cultist into the arrangement, and instantly turning him into liquefied pulp. Across the land, a sound of a giant record stopping was heard.

A single cultist watched as Kharn continued on his way, oblivious to the ritual. “Wow, I wasn’t expecting that”. He was then instantly destroyed.

The commissar watched the mountains surrounding him. Fortified in his city, waiting for the forces of Chaos to come, all he needed was to wait until- “ENEMY SPOTTED. FIRE ON COORDINATES” A voice screamed through his earpiece. The basilisks quickly responded, firing at all the coordinates shouted through the comm. units. Eventually, they exhausted their ammo. The Commissar looked on the mountains, expecting to see the ruined army of Chaos. Instead, he saw nothing but splintered trees and rocks, and the craters from the barrage, which seemed to spell out “IT’S MY DAY OFF!” ]

"Blood for the blood God"
    I've been fairly insistent to you readers out there that Kharn the Betrayer was a pretty fun guy to be around. I know he gets a bad rap for the whole 'slaughtering his own allies' thing, but unless you've been there after a battle with him you don't really appreciate how much he strives to please his chaos god.

It was after one of our many conflicts that the Red Rivers Infantry were preparing to march on to our next destination. Never mind that it was half the planet away, we as traitor guard didn't get transport vehicles. So as you can imagine when someone declared they'd found an Imperial Drop-ship in working condition everyone clamored and fought to get a free ride to our next engagement.

Knowing full well I was too far away to get on the ship, I stayed with some of my fellow traitors at the battlefield. I'd seen Kharn after the battle, and as soon as we'd gotten our marching orders he was picking up corpses and putting them down elsewhere. This took an hour before he was satisfied, and seeing an audience he happily led us up onto a hill as the drop-ship flew a pass over the top of us, probably to gloat. Proudly, Kharn gestured to the battlefield, and then waved up at the drop-ship with his other hand. I peered down the hill, and realized he'd arranged the bodies to make out words, so many killed to form:

On your drop ship hull
    I planted a melta bomb
    Blood for the Blood God

It was at that point the drop-ship erupted in a violent plume, and crashed down on top of the haiku. Roaring in a cheer, we lifted Kharn up together and made to carry him to the next battlefield as a sign of our appreciation and devotion to his art.

We got about five paces before our spines liquefied, but Kharn didn't hold it against us for trying.

Seriously, what a guy.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    arcath wrote: »
    Tagged for future reading.

Look at you, strutting in here, with your high and mighty attitude and your lazy blue dotting.

We don't take kindly to that around here. Get out.
    I am, of course, joking.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's kinda dangerous being open and honest.

Too easy for somebody to twist things, for one. The above post could easily be excerpted inside another thread on another forum with thread titles like:

"RELIC DEV ADMITS NOT GIVING A SHIT ABOUT DoW MOD COMMUNITY!!!!11!"

Anything you say can and will be used against you...:)

Croak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Too easy for somebody to twist things, for one. The above post could easily be excerpted inside another thread on another forum with thread titles like:

That's a valid point, but the lack-o-mapmaker thing is kind of a sore point with only 7 maps being available on release day. Now it's less sore.

And I'm sure you guys are totally aware that getting the first map DLC out super quick will only result in happiness, increased sales and candy rain*.

*i'm lying about the candy rain

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As I always say, Kharn the Betrayer was pretty fun to be around, and contrary to popular belief he actually had a sense of humour as well. Probably the best example was in the middle of the campaign during a sweeping of an Imperial Guard command post, with Khorne Berserkers and our Red Rivers company marching directly into the defensive fire. The closer we got, the more apparent it became that the only thing holding the Guardsmen together was a grizzled looking Commissar in full uniform, one gun turned on us and another firing on any of his men who looked like running.

Kharn was at the tip of the assault, and so he got to the Commissar first, plucking the screaming officer up by the neck and holding him over his head.

Then, out of nowhere one of the other berserkers grabs the Commissar's legs and roars "MAKE A WISH!". Well, as you can imagine everyone on both sides forgets about the fight, and watches Kharn and this other Khorne worshipping marine just start pulling on this Commissar at both ends, the old man screaming out oaths and curses like you wouldn't believe! You could almost hear the sound of flesh tearing and bone snapping over the cheering.

Then, Kharn just let go. Totally not expecting it and pulling with all his might, the Khorne Berserker just falls backwards and starts tumbling with the near dead Commissar into a damaged hellhound, his armour grating off it and sparking!

Well, after the explosion we all turned back to Kharn, who had managed to keep a hold of the Commissar's fancy hat. Ol' Kharn put it on, and damned if it wasn't the funniest thing any of us had ever seen... till he turned to us and bellowed "I'M THE NEW COMMISSAR" at us.

They tell me five thousand traitor guardsmen died that day before someone could take that hat off him.

What a kidder!

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

That's a valid point, but the lack-o-mapmaker thing is kind of a sore point with only 7 maps being available on release day. Now it's less sore.

And I'm sure you guys are totally aware that getting the first map DLC out super quick will only result in happiness, increased sales and candy rain*.

*i'm lying about the candy rain

Chocolate Rain

?

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    7 maps is a bit dissapointing (unless it's 7 each for 1v1 and 3v3) but I'll live.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Strangely, when I googled 'Candy Rain' I found a lesbian themed art movie. Moving on...

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    7 maps total is worrying when the beta has 5 :(

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    7 maps total is worrying when the beta has 5 :(

7 at launch, they've said several times more maps will be released as free content down the line, possibly as early as late Feb.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kharne is awesome

tyrannus on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it difficult to be too irked by things that they've been completely up front about.

Most of the time, anyway.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    So basically I'm in love with the Farseer and Falcon

bongi on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fire prism needs

1. More speed, since it is the least durable tank in the game

2. Remove the switch toggle for regular infantry and heavy infantry/vehicles and just make it do good damage to both, since it hardly deals any damage in the first place

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    fire prism needs

1. More speed, since it is the least durable tank in the game

2. Remove the switch toggle for regular infantry and heavy infantry/vehicles and just make it do good damage to both, since it hardly deals any damage in the first place
    1. More speed yes, also give it the Falcon's energy shield ability, maybe with less energy.

2. Rather than remove the switch, increase its rate of fire, and increase its turret turn speed. Perhaps bump up the damage of both. Removing the switch altogether just makes it into a mobile D-cannon, which is kind of dumb.

bongi on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    So basically I'm in love with the Farseer and Falcon

You and Goomba should form a club.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I always found it odd that the Falcon is so much more durable than the Fire Prism

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I really miss the Grey Knights from DoW1. That was pretty much my favorite Space Marine infantry unit. And man when you attached a Chaplain hero to them, they were so good. So good.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    kharne is awesome

Kharn is a swell guy.

Now Eldrad.... what a dick.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Falcon shoots through his energy shield, right? Never really used the shield. I probably should.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Falcon shoots through his energy shield, right? Never really used the shield. I probably should.
    It's pretty good, yes.

And DoA, I am sorry that I suck all the fun out of hanging out with the guys in the thread.:whistle:

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, go away for a night, come back and it's like the warden moved in on you guys. lol

So, anyone want to help me with a strat on Space Marines vs Orks, or what? :P

T1 is entirely ugly against them!

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Masume wrote: »
    Wow, go away for a night, come back and it's like the warden moved in on you guys. lol

Get to t2.:mrgreen:

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I wanted to do a design for a Warhammer shirt and I couldn't really think of any ideas for anything awesome except the fact that Dreadnoughts are the shit.

24d3ade.jpg

So Dreadnought Fist Bumping and horrible JPEG compression ftw! It's still somewhat of a work in progress.

RCagent on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Masume wrote: »

Against orks? Shotguns are pretty annoying...still. And if you can be at all effective with devastors they are pretty frustrating, but yeah...best bet is to get to tier 2 as quickly as possible and pump out a dread. Once you have a dread out, orks are fucked because their av is complete crap, especially in tier 2.

rts on