KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bullet hell/action/strategy/rpg/puzzle

Touhou: The SRPG

KiTA on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does the packaging look different on the first print run? I'm going by gamestop later today, but if I can't get a copy with the artbook I'll probably just request this on goozex.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, the artbook is not included in the packaging. Just ask the Gamestop guy/girl if they have any extra pre-order artbooks, I think it is called the "Tome of Lost Souls".

Neurotika on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    So I picked this up. It's certainly original. I dislike that you have to lose characters to vitality attrition :(

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first run comes in a little cardboard box with the game case and soundtrack CD inside. The box art is the same as the case, so the only real difference is the CD.

The artbook is worth getting, if you can find it online still. Full-size, 96 pages. Character art and bios for each recruitable knight. Concept and monster art, with little blurbs from the artists or designers. It's one of the best pre-order artbooks I've ever seen.

grrarg on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't preorder and GS gave me the artbook when I bought the game.

The Leveling option on the title screen is pretty good for getting more weapons if you're lacking a certain type (axes for me). You get preset characters and weapons to use so they don't use the ones you have in the story mode.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mighty wrote: »
    im kind of annoyed that only warriors can break crap on the ground. also that in some situations your duelists can become trapped in a corner and become useless.

Stairs> Knights is kind of dumb too.
    also moderate spoiler for a boss-
    dont have any knights fight gunther. he will consume all of the units vit and kill it off permanently.
    Gunther will attack and kill your knights if he sees them materialized, so don't charge them up while he's facing towards your guys. Charge a knight and put him on hold while Gunther's looking in a different direction, then release the attack when G wanders into range.

*On hold: charge the knight and move the Wisp into the little box in the upper right.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    IvanIssacs wrote: »

The Leveling option on the title screen is pretty good for getting more weapons if you're lacking a certain type (axes for me). You get preset characters and weapons to use so they don't use the ones you have in the story mode.

This sounds a lot like the Practice mode in Riviera, which is another Sting game. Sound like one of their hallmarks is making the player sacrifice to progress. In Riviera it's which paths you take and items you keep, the latter affects which characters you will use most in battle. In Knights it seems like they've pushed the idea even further. I like this personally. It gives your choices real impact on the gameplay and makes you plan ahead.

I'm getting really impatient for this game. Amazon just shipped my order today, and since I chose the Super Saver shipping, it may be a while yet before I actually receive it. At the time free shipping looked good, but now I'm kinda kicking myself.

Drake on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes, and you can use the "Leveling" option to gain xp, which you can feed to your real party members, replenishing their Vit, if you are into that kind of thing. Me, I just feed them other party members.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Im not sure I'm even beginning to understand the plot of this game. On one hand you've got an almost FFT-esque political story going on, and then you have the wisp and maria going all Valkyrie on people. With the exception of the
    Werewolf

I'm not understanding how these tie into each other at all. Either way it's fun as hell, if a bit overwhelming.

This a million times. I love the battle system so much, but the "story" in between is just SO bad. Plain-faced Knight says "Something just happened .. or will happen . . I don't really know either". Flashback, flash-forward, but then I'm in a swamp fighting trees? Unless someone here can say when it actually gets "involving" or that it's worth listening to, I'm just gonna start hitting skip. Right now it just seems like they took a "well we don't know who will be in their party so don't develop anyone" approach. In a recruit-em-up I think you kinda need a few central characters you can latch onto. Maybe I just wasn't expected to have zero control over anything that happens.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Playing and digging it. Really like how Sting tends to completely reinvent how SRPGs are played.

This one is a pretty solid mixture of both Riviera and Yggdra Union. It takes Yggdra's battle formations and emphasis on grid attacks and combines it with Riviera's "visual novel" style.

Really enjoying it.

Sometimes I focus too much on the bottom screen though.
    EdS25 wrote: »
    This a million times. I love the battle system so much, but the "story" in between is just SO bad. Plain-faced Knight says "Something just happened .. or will happen . . I don't really know either". Flashback, flash-forward, but then I'm in a swamp fighting trees? Unless someone here can say when it actually gets "involving" or that it's worth listening to, I'm just gonna start hitting skip. Right now it just seems like they took a "well we don't know who will be in their party so don't develop anyone" approach. In a recruit-em-up I think you kinda need a few central characters you can latch onto. Maybe I just wasn't expected to have zero control over anything that happens.

You're thinking about it too hard, I think.

Minor spoilers.
    The wisp is the King. He's going through the country side and coming across fallen soldiers. That's what the flashbacks are for, to show you how those soldiers died.

The artifacts that you give them are things from their life that convince their souls to join you.

It's not so much of a "party" system like FFT. You can, and should, use whoever you want.

Sheep on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I just got back from GS, and that is how it went down.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    xa52 wrote: »

I just got back from GS, and that is how it went down.

I'll bet this game didn't get a lot of pre-orders then. I know for a fact that my local GS didn't even get any launch copies of the game. At least according to the GS website anyway.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why won't my duelist attack? Is there any reason why I can't seem to attack in certain directions sometimes?

Sheep on
  • Options
    ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just found out certain destroyable objects regenerate after a certain amount of turns

Zone on
  • Options
    ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    and they also will have new key items.

Zone on
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I beat this yesterday. Holy crap. 30 hour game in 60 hours almost killed me. My right hand might be permanently crippled from all the stylus holding.

Still, fun game. It looks and sounds great. I think it has the best presentation on the DS.

+Great artwork
    +Great sound
    +Great effects

Even when you do something that's usually (simple in an RPG), there's soo much happening.

1. Grab the weapon, equipment sound effect, a voice says "The blade" or whatever it is.
    2. Put it on a knight, equipment sound effect, knight says charging.
    3. Meter fills,
    4. Aim your attack, boxes show up on enemy with percentages.
    5. Let loose! "Break out!" Character portrait! "Attack quote"
    6. Actual attack effect, gems fly everywhere.

Oh and this whole time there's bullet hell stuff flying everywhere. It's madness. Awesome madness.

Notes on bosses:
    Wow. They really have you fight everyone. The last 3 are super hard.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Why won't my duelist attack? Is there any reason why I can't seem to attack in certain directions sometimes?

Except for lance knights, all the other classes can only attack 2 directions. The duelist can attack NE and NW.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there a new game+ feature to help satisfy folks like me who must have all 108 stars of des- I mean, all knights in the game?

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yep, and some characters switch around and can only be gotten on the 2nd playthrough. So if you missed one of the ones who gets swapped out, you have to play it 3 times! Or even 4!

Ahahaha!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You dirty motherfuckers. I won't forget this. Mark my words, in 5 years when I finally understand the intricacies of the game, I shall have my revenge!

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    Yep, and some characters switch around and can only be gotten on the 2nd playthrough. So if you missed one of the ones who gets swapped out, you have to play it 3 times! Or even 4!

Ahahaha!

This... this is devious. Just like Riviera. God knows how many playthroughs it's going to take me to get all the unlockables in that game. And I think I've tracked down a local copy of Yggdra Union, which is probably just as sadistic.
    Hurt me. Hurt me good.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Actually Riviera isn't that bad, but you have to go through like 4 or 5 times for every ending. The only weird thing about Riviera that I can remember is a statue scene where Ein climbs up the chest. It was such a mystery to get that scene when the game first came out, because you have to get through a flooding area with pretty much the perfect amount of turns.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »

You're thinking about it too hard, I think.

Minor spoilers.
    The wisp is the King. He's going through the country side and coming across fallen soldiers. That's what the flashbacks are for, to show you how those soldiers died.

The artifacts that you give them are things from their life that convince their souls to join you.

It's not so much of a "party" system like FFT. You can, and should, use whoever you want.

Fun fact: I sort of had a feeling that was the case, but I wasn't sure until I read the artbook. Then I went back to the front of the artbook and it said 'this artbook may contain spoilers'.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ahahaha!

That's dirty, Yggdra Union dirty.

Still might be another day or two till I get the game. Free shipping is free.

Joule on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

its is possible that your duelest wont attack for 2 reasons

1) she is facing the corner. they cant attack downwards or Backwards.

2) its chaos mode, and there's a wall/item in front of her. duelests jump forwards in chaos mode.

or you may simply be lacking the time.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Ahahaha!

Wait wait wait.

More details please. I'm about to start my new game plus (I missed a couple characters) and don't want to miss some special character.
    Can you get the bosses!?

Also, Priestesses FTW.

JellySalmon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Ahahaha!

Wait wait wait.

More details please. I'm about to start my new game plus (I missed a couple characters) and don't want to miss some special character.
    Can you get the bosses!?

Also, Priestesses FTW.

No, no, the bosses don't change. The Knights you can recruit do.
    And no.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wait, so different ones show up? Or in a different order? Can I get one example? I only missed like 4 in my first run through. And one of them I actually had the item, I just forgot to use it. And it's not like my items carried over so...

JellySalmon on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm having some really frustrating UI issues. There have been a lot of cases where I'll be trying to do one thing, then wind up executing some completely unrelated action. Picking weapons out of the list is a dangerous proposition (any other valid weapon will override your selection if you accidentally cross over it), units wind up going into attack mode if you forget to hide yourself before crossing over them (it seems like bad form to require the play to indicate their intent to not do anything), the game doesn't have a clear reminder that you're out of MP (yes, it's on the gauge, but if I'm floating around my weapons with 0 MP, I'd like something to tell me "Out of MP, dumbass!"), and stuff like that. I don't have a problem with the controls being complicated, but there's too much opportunity to issue a command you didn't intend.

Still determined to finish the game, though.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    We need to make a chart showing the special relationships between the knights. It's hard to try to keep track of it in your head.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if there's a huge web connecting all of them, but you can get some hints from the official website (it usually says if they're related or friends or whatever).

I just beat the 2nd boss, it's finally beginning to dip into proper bullet hell territory.
    The light pillars were costing me a lot of time my first few tries, but I quickly learned to stick to the bottom of the screen.
    Can't wait to see what's beyond this.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Auuuugh!

Fuck the
    angelic boss!
    Fuck that bitch! Arrrgh!

Stop spamming those goddamned huge-ass bird bullets! and WHY
    do i need to fight you again!? i HATE fighting you!

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Except for lance knights, all the other classes can only attack 2 directions. The duelist can attack NE and NW.

Is there a stat that will tell me this somewhere?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Is there a stat that will tell me this somewhere?

Well, there's the manual. And in the game, any "Front" unit attacks towards the top of the screen, while the "Back" units attack towards the bottom. And I'm sure one of the tutorials mentions it.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Basically Duelists and Warriors attack up, Hermits, Archers, Priests and Wizards attack down, and Lance Knights attack in any direction.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mighty wrote: »
    Auuuugh!

Fuck the
    angelic boss!
    Fuck that bitch! Arrrgh!

Stop spamming those goddamned huge-ass bird bullets! and WHY
    do i need to fight you again!? i HATE fighting you!

I was just throwing down with her during my break.
    4 MOTHERFUCKING TURNS?! I BARELY HIT HER DURING MY FIRST. AS IF THE SECOND BOSS WASN'T BAD ENOUGH. NOW I HAVE TO THROWDOWN WITH THIS CUNT. Fuck this game is awesome.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Uh oh, my DS touchscreen seems to be acting up.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm thinking this is my next game.

all that bonus stuff in the OP, did I miss it because I didn't preorder? about to order from amazon but I want to check what the deal is on that.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch