Options

Knights in the Nightmare - A Perverse Cadre of Unballs

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How do you know a weapon can high skill?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    RemyLebeau_88RemyLebeau_88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm trying to decide whether to get this or something else at the moment to have another RPG for the summer, and I'm curious about something.... Is there effectively any type of game over? When your time hits 0 doesn't it just refill after the enemies' turn? But they do attack during your turn (but not your actual soldiers....), so I'm not entirely sure how this works, or why I thought they mentioned that timer just ending a turn. I'm a little confused just trying to figure it.

Edit: Apologies, found yet another hands on video and I figure you have to finish each fight in X amount of turns. Solved then :D Though now I'm wondering if you can replay levels or how you are supposed to be able to get to chests and items when you can't really move to change your attack range. Rather confusing >_>

RemyLebeau_88 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When you hold the stylus over a weapon, look at the top screen. If the name of the weapon attack says something like it's an upgade of another attack, that weapon can high skill.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I just got my copy in from Amazon today, complete with all the swag (yay!). My first impression is, HOLY SHIT FRANTIC and HOLY SHIT DEPTH.

As someone who can't afford to buy games all the time, I feel like I've made a wise purchase. This game looks like something that is going to reward replay, and have many layers of depth to explore. Also, I think it brings a very tasty element of action to some classic SRPG concepts. Looks like Sting delivers again. I look forward to plowing through this again and again.

Drake on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The tutorials softened me up and the sheer amount of crap going on in the first few fights digested me thoroughly. I can see this being very fun, but I think I need to decontaminate a little before I move on.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm trying to decide whether to get this or something else at the moment to have another RPG for the summer, and I'm curious about something.... Is there effectively any type of game over? When your time hits 0 doesn't it just refill after the enemies' turn? But they do attack during your turn (but not your actual soldiers....), so I'm not entirely sure how this works, or why I thought they mentioned that timer just ending a turn. I'm a little confused just trying to figure it.

Edit: Apologies, found yet another hands on video and I figure you have to finish each fight in X amount of turns. Solved then :D Though now I'm wondering if you can replay levels or how you are supposed to be able to get to chests and items when you can't really move to change your attack range. Rather confusing >_>

You are able to play through the levels again if you click on the Leveling option on the title screen. You can't recruit but it does give you extra items and experience. I found it pretty useful.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Talith wrote: »
    This game is making me do the same thing as in Riviera and YU. Who cares if there's enemies, look at all these items I need to get!
    Yeah this is kinda ruining the actual combat for me, I'm more worried about missing key items than I am about clearing the mission.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is making me do the same thing as in Riviera and YU. Who cares if there's enemies, look at all these items I need to get!
    Yeah this is kinda ruining the actual combat for me, I'm more worried about missing key items than I am about clearing the mission.

When I see "clear this challenge in X turns", my speedrun instincts tell me that finishing in 2 turns is a good thing. That this is not the case in infinitely frustrating.

On the other hand, I actually kinda like the Nameless guys. "I was not sent for, but I lend you my power anyway!" I like your enthusiasm, Nameless! Onward to victory!

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kupi wrote: »

When I see "clear this challenge in X turns", my speedrun instincts tell me that finishing in 2 turns is a good thing. That this is not the case in infinitely frustrating.

On the other hand, I actually kinda like the Nameless guys. "I was not sent for, but I lend you my power anyway!" I like your enthusiasm, Nameless! Onward to victory!

It's a balancing act. Less turns means less vit drain and less weapon durability loss. More turns means more characters and more weapons but your old characters take more of a hit and your new weapons may or may not fill the gap left by old ones breaking.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've played through the first eight or so missions. I'm considering starting a new game, but I think I could also plow on ahead just fine at this point. Hmm, decisions.

edit: Hmm. Lame TotP.

So far everything about this game has been a joy. This kind of game is why I bought a DS, it just couldn't happen on any other system (except for maybe the Wii but I don't think you could get the precision with the Wiimote like the stylus has). The music, the art, the story (what sense I can make of it so far anyway), and the gameplay are just top notch. Everything feels really thought out and the uniqueness of the gameplay can not be overstated. There just ain't nothing else like this out there. If you ever thought RPGs are slow and boring this one may be the one that gets you hooked.

Drake on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Would it be worth it to try to spend the maximum amount of turns in battle so that you can kill more monsters? Or is the per turn drain on weapon endurance and character vitality not worth the XP?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Would it be worth it to try to spend the maximum amount of turns in battle so that you can kill more monsters? Or is the per turn drain on weapon endurance and character vitality not worth the XP?

I think it's going to take a few play-throughs to answer that question. At the moment I've been busting through levels in 3 to 5 turns. I'm starting to miss Key Items, but my weapons are stacking up and my characters have good Vit (I think... can't be sure yet).

Drake on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My motto for KitN: Do whatever gets key items and write the rest off as an acceptable loss. It's the only way to keep yourself sane about remaining turns and vitality kept intact/lost.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is it the case that there are obstacles/key items that cannot be gotten on the first playthrough? I'm on stage 3, and there is a patch of grass that seems to be too far away for anyone's attack to reach.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is it the case that there are obstacles/key items that cannot be gotten on the first playthrough? I'm on stage 3, and there is a patch of grass that seems to be too far away for anyone's attack to reach.

Yeah, that's what Bursar said earlier in the thread. It's one of the reasons why I'm hesitating on a restart now that I grasp some of the mechanics a little better. I'm using it as a license to get beyond any compulsion to obsess about the "perfect run." For now anyway.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Features of Sting Games:
    - Using items/weapons to attack indirectly rather than selecting an attack command from a menu.
    - The horizontal screen fading style
    - Super cluttered screens
    - BREAKOUT!

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drake wrote: »

Yeah, that's what Bursar said earlier in the thread. It's one of the reasons why I'm hesitating on a restart now that I grasp some of the mechanics a little better. I'm using it as a license to get beyond any compulsion to obsess about the "perfect run." For now anyway.

Note for all you potential OCD-licious players: There are multiple endings. Some of them involve not getting everything (well, a particular thing). And even then, at the end
    You're told more about the Knights you used the most. And how big a temple can you build out of the graves of your Tran-Souled knights?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bursar wrote: »

Note for all you potential OCD-licious players: There are multiple endings. Some of them involve not getting everything (well, a particular thing). And even then, at the end
    You're told more about the Knights you used the most. And how big a temple can you build out of the graves of your Tran-Souled knights?

Oh fuck, that is awesome.

Drake on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are items that can only be obtained on the second play-through, but that's because they don't spawn, not because an obstacle isn't attackable.

Remember that you can change units assignments between turns, and that the placement of those units is wherever they were when the last turn ended. So you can use a character that can move to shuffle over to an obstacle, then swap that character out for a warrior next turn.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Couldnt you just level outside of the main game so you dont have to use vitality or endurance?

Do you have to actually use a character on top of giving them a key item for them to join you?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Couldnt you just level outside of the main game so you dont have to use vitality or endurance?

Do you have to actually use a character on top of giving them a key item for them to join you?

You have to put the Key Item in one of your four equipment slots, then give it to the character it belongs to in the Battle Mode. After the battle the knight is recruited into your party.

And yeah, using the Level option from the main menu gives you experience that you can use in the main game along with items. So it doesn't seem like you can get stuck.

Drake on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As far as I can tell, the only point of leveling is accessing new weapons and a VIT refresh. Is this correct?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Seems to be the case. Higher level grants higher weapons.

What's this about a temple?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, the only point of leveling is accessing new weapons and a VIT refresh. Is this correct?

Hmmm. I wonder if there is a level cap for your units? And if so, is it the same for all of your knights? That could make things very interesting (read; harder), and also be very Sting-like.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Hmmm. I wonder if there is a level cap for your units? And if so, is it the same for all of your knights? That could make things very interesting (read; harder), and also be very Sting-like.

If you're higher level than a monster, when you use a Skill Attack on it, a little icon appears above it, and if you move your stylus through the icon you do bonus damage to it. Every character has individual level caps which can be raised via transouling. The absolute maximum level cap is 99, though.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There are Level Caps, when you transoul you raise that cap. Units with maxed level gain additional levels when you transoul, so you can have your Caped level 24 unity become Level 30 with a new level cap of 32. How they level when this happens is based on the LI/CI of the transouled unit. Don't ask me how, I've got no clue.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    We could use that line by Tycho about juggling balls as a new topic title. Tutorial vid 4's also out, by the way.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think "Knights in the Nightmare - A Perverse Cadre of Unballs" would be irresistibly inviting to the uninitiated.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    You know the screen between levels, with that white line and the bat pixel (you poke it and it squeaks)?
    Ever notice that if a knight dies or is sacrificed, a bump appears, and it you touch that bump, you'll see that knight again?

...Ever wonder what happens if a really powerful knight dies?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think "Knights in the Nightmare - A Perverse Cadre of Unballs" would be irresistibly inviting to the uninitiated.

Yes!

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    You know the screen between levels, with that white line and the bat pixel (you poke it and it squeaks)?

Actually... I don't.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what's a good "stable" of characters, as far as amount of Knights you're retaining?

I've missed a few recruits, but I have a sizeable stable. But I really only use a select few characters. (Moira the Hermit <3)

Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I just pumped up three-four characters?

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'd say this: You're not going to be losing anyone unexpectedly really (a few bosses may cause trouble), so figure out which classes you really like, and chars that are working well for you and pump them up. I have a warrior, hermit, duelist, knight, and priestess that I always keep on hand, so other recruits are soul fodder to boost the level cap.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Sounds good to me. Tutorial 4 added as well thanks for the heads up.

I've reached scene 14 (3rd boss) and guys tell me the stuff in this stage doesn't respawn for more key items because 4 turns is kind of tight.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The rock doesn't respawn, the catapults do respawn (you can just bring them to fragile and they'll be fixed a turn or 2 later) but I can't remember what they have when they do. Take note there's also 2 flooring tiles for you to destroy.

EDIT: HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO FIGHT THAT STUPID BITCH?!

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, just picked this up, I'm in love, that is all.

Choosing who to sacrifice is HAAAAAAAARD.

Also: I'm constantly combining same items to up their durability, nuts to their +s, I just re-level them if I have to. Is this the same with everyone?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I just did my first few Transouls. That was a D: moment, for sure.

This game has pretty much cemented Dept Heaven as my favorite RPG series. Sting's take on RPG's just feels so fresh.

Drake on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, little off-topic for a moment; i had sold my DS in the intervening time between ordering the collector's edition of this, and actually receiving it (today), but my two thoughts at the moment are: 1) i'm missing out on a lot of fun gameplay, and 2) DAMN, SON- THAT ARTBOOK IS FUCKING AWESOME.

Anyway, my OT question would be: are there any other games outside the RPG genre that have artbooks etc. that go into the same depth of stuff like the Tome of Lost Souls? Like i really loved the little comments from the designers about why the characters have the clothes they do, and i especially like the short paragraphs of backstory about the characters and their histories.

If you don't want to derail the thread, PM would be cool. On second thoughts, maybe don't, as my wallet would suffer...

EDIT: I'm kidding, please do tell me!

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey. You think the artbook is awesome? Go buy a DS and give it a play. Then we can talk about awesome.
    Feel free to hate me all you want.

Drake on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate you Drake! Well, mainly because of jealousy.

It sounds great, though. I'm missing out, big-time. :[

DusT_HounD on