Options

Nintendo DSi: Apr 5, $170 US, Black & Blue, DSi retail games, Rhythm Heaven also Apr5

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Where in my post was I overly abrasive? The only part I see is where I was criticizing the trailer, not the device itself. You can't disagree that the trailer is creepy and makes you want to smash babies. The guy took a picture of his girlfriend and they laughed like school children--they were both at least 25.

Ah, that's my mistake then—the trailer is fair game, I turned it off about 45 seconds in. :rotate: Apologies are in order.
    The gun being pointed to people head is called DSi exclusive games.

"Hey! You want to play this awesome game? Guess what? You have to buy yet another gameboy that is that same gameboy that you have but have another 2mb of ram! Oh dont worry! You can trade in your old gameboy for $10 at gamespot, so you only really spending $160 for an minimal upgrade and stuff that you'll never ever going to use!"

Well, it's a big ol' theoretical gun right now, seeing as how we don't know a whole lot about any DSi-exclusive games. But the only ones we know of now are all download-only, which are exclusive because, well, they're downloadable and you can't physically do that on the DS as it exists.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, I can't see anything substantial being produced that is DSi exclusive any of us will care about.

As a developer, you would only make such a game if it was absolutely necessary, since you'd be eliminating an astronomical market of DS owners.

Camera games. That's all I can see right now, and I doubt I'll be caring about any of those.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To be fair, the region protection is kind of a kick to the groin (as far as DSi exclusivity goes).

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, I can't see anything substantial being produced that is DSi exclusive any of us will care about.

As a developer, you would only make such a game if it was absolutely necessary, since you'd be eliminating an astronomical market of DS owners.

Camera games. That's all I can see right now, and I doubt I'll be caring about any of those.

Games that require extra storage for custom levels/maps, including sharing them online, or games that allow custom music off an SD card. And of course games that need to take full advantage of the processor or RAM.

Current DS games with custom maps or elaborate data that needs saving (sim games) don't have a lot of space, so that's a definite benefit.

By your logic, as a developer you wouldn't want to make a DSiWare game either, since you're cutting out the same number of DS owners. So I guess we'll see. When the DS launched, maybe nobody was making DS games for the same reason of cutting out GBA owners?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The change from GBA to DS was huge compared to DS to DSi.

The DS sold so many units because it was a new method of input for gaming. The DSi is the same old story with a few new features... most of which I don't think any of the "kiddie" DS owners really care about.

Figgy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The DS sold so many units because it was a new method of input for gaming. The DSi is the same old story with a few new features... most of which I don't think any of the "kiddie" DS owners really care about.
    But they were still cutting out the massive GBA install base by choosing to make DS games instead, right? They could reach so many more people by making a GBA game instead.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    See it as the GBA SP. It still sold incredibly well despite being the same old story. Really, the DSi will just replace the Lite. There's no reason to believe it will substantially affect sales. I suspect people will gobble the new features up, specifically the tool to edit and store photos and the ability to browse the Internet without any RAM hassle, but that's just my guess.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The big screens and slimmer body are a nice sell.

I can't see myself replacing my ipod or starting a picture diary though.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really don't we'll see too many DSi only games. What we may see are DSi Enhanced games. They'll run on a DS Phat or Lite, but will be, well, enhanced on the DSi. Weren't there Gameboy Color games that did something like that?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

But they were still cutting out the massive GBA install base by choosing to make DS games instead, right? They could reach so many more people by making a GBA game instead.

No, because the majority* of GBA owners will be buying DS's anyway. The same can't be said for the DSi, I imagine.

*Assumption, but I think it's a fair one.

Figgy on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My DS Is slowly falling apart. When it Does, DSi time.

....Unless Nintendo release a DSi only game that I must have. Which i'm sure they will.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I really don't we'll see too many DSi only games. What we may see are DSi Enhanced games. They'll run on a DS Phat or Lite, but will be, well, enhanced on the DSi. Weren't there Gameboy Color games that did something like that?

Yes, Dual mode carts. These were Black. Example: Link's Awakening DX. It would run on a regular gameboy, but the color-only features (The New Color dungeon) only worked on the GBC. There were a lot of these Hybrid games. Also, some older regular GB games had palettes built into the GBC hardware itself, such as Tetris and Metroid II.

There was another type of GB cart that was clear plastic and had a bump at the top (where normal carts had an indention). These were the GBC-only games.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

you should see (and hear!) Art Style: PiCOPiCT. the Art Style games in general are all awesome, as is Moving Memo Pad.

inthegray on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yes, Dual mode carts. These were Black. Example: Link's Awakening DX. It would run on a regular gameboy, but the color-only features (The New Color dungeon) only worked on the GBC. There were a lot of these Hybrid games. Also, some games had palettes built into the GBC hardware itself, such as Tetris and Metroid II.

There was another type of GB cart that was clear plastic and had a bump at the top (where normal carts had an indention). These were the GBC-only games.
    Oh man, I remember those black carts. R-Type (something) was one of those games, and it was awesome in Color mode.

Graviija on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also I don't know where you've been but Nintendo has done digital distribution extremely well thus far. Like, competently, easy to use, with a great selection of stuff on Virtual Console and Wiiware. If they can continue that tradition on DSi it will be awesome.

Did you even see their "download bar" for VC games? Maybe they've changed it since I last used it but it was mario running and hitting 3 blocks. How fast is the download going? When should I expect to be able to play my game? Answering questions like these would apparently only confuse us.

And I'm not that impressed with their attempted digital service for the DS. They have a few apps, which is all fine, but really they should have just allowed you to download full games, and put up as many games as possible. DS games are small. SD cards are big. Swapping cartridges is awful. Figure it out.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Some DS games are 128mb. It's not that small.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Also I don't know where you've been but Nintendo has done digital distribution extremely well thus far. Like, competently, easy to use, with a great selection of stuff on Virtual Console and Wiiware. If they can continue that tradition on DSi it will be awesome.

Did you even see their "download bar" for VC games? Maybe they've changed it since I last used it but it was mario running and hitting 3 blocks. How fast is the download going? When should I expect to be able to play my game? Answering questions like these would apparently only confuse us.

And I'm not that impressed with their attempted digital service for the DS. They have a few apps, which is all fine, but really they should have just allowed you to download full games, and put up as many games as possible. DS games are small. SD cards are big. Swapping cartridges is awful. Figure it out.

I doubt Nintendo would ever allow you to put games on SD cards due to Piracy. Heck, I'm surprised they let you do it with the Virtual Console.

And I like the Mario Running download indicator. It's not like downloading most games take that long...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    and the coins indicate packets of info. the more coins you get, the faster your download is going. i think it's pretty fun, personally.

Guek on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are they releasing any actual DSi games? This must be the first console launch I've seen where instead of showing what games they'll be selling, the company is instead showing people being amazed by the concept of digital photos. Suspiciously sharp digital photos, considering the cameras have all the power of someone drawing really quickly. I know Nintendo has this army of easily pleased middle aged Wii buyers now, with their cash and their jobs, but they could at least make an effort in the games department. Even the DS Phat had a Mario game. Lets have something only for the DSi, that makes the DSL look like warmed over poop. Come on Nintendo, climb out of your moneybeds and get cracking.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will buy the DSi if my Lite ever dies. I'm on my second Lite, which gives it a 50/50 chance. on one hand, the first one died after about 3 years, so there's a chance number 2 could do that too. on the other hand, #2 should be better.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Are they releasing any actual DSi games? This must be the first console launch I've seen where instead of showing what games they'll be selling, the company is instead showing people being amazed by the concept of digital photos. Suspiciously sharp digital photos, considering the cameras have all the power of someone drawing really quickly. I know Nintendo has this army of easily pleased middle aged Wii buyers now, with their cash and their jobs, but they could at least make an effort in the games department. Even the DS Phat had a Mario game. Lets have something only for the DSi, that makes the DSL look like warmed over poop. Come on Nintendo, climb out of your moneybeds and get cracking.

They're not showing games (aside from DSiWare) because there ARE NONE. Because this isn't a new Console, it's a new console iteration.

I don't understand why people are having trouble with this concept. Nintendo's done it many times before.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    See it as the GBA SP. It still sold incredibly well despite being the same old story. Really, the DSi will just replace the Lite. There's no reason to believe it will substantially affect sales. I suspect people will gobble the new features up, specifically the tool to edit and store photos and the ability to browse the Internet without any RAM hassle, but that's just my guess.

Except it's not GBA->SP, it's GB->GBC. SP had the same exact specs as a GBA, DSi does not have the same specs as the DS.

Maybe for once we should appreciate that a company isn't touting their next console as a "revolution" or "next gen", just an.. upgrade. It's got 2x the CPU and 4x the RAM of the DS. There are games you will be able to make on the DSi that are impossible on the DS. Especially we'll start seeing ports of N64 games that needed the Expansion Pak (zomg handheld Majora's Mask (or even a DK64 port)). The camera is not really meant as a replacement for all the cellphone cameras out there, it's just for use in games. Remember how well the Game Boy Camera sold and I think it was like .00001 megapixels.

Guys, this summer it will have been 5 years since the DS was introduced. They were going to replace or refresh it eventually.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also on a slightly different topic, as a game industry trivia lover and developer, I like how Nintendo is starting to open up on their development process with Iwata Asks. Interesting about how they actually wanted to do two DS slots but it made it too big.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Also on a slightly different topic, as a game industry trivia lover and developer, I like how Nintendo is starting to open up on their development process with Iwata Asks. Interesting about how they actually wanted to do two DS slots but it made it too big.

Seriously. I think the best decision Yaumauchi (spelling?) ever made was to appoint Iwata as his successor.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »

They're not showing games (aside from DSiWare) because there ARE NONE. Because this isn't a new Console, it's a new console iteration.

I don't understand why people are having trouble with this concept. Nintendo's done it many times before.

If you're upgrading a system, you need to provide games that take advantage of the upgrade, otherwise what's the point?

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    4x the RAM, eh?
    I guess we might see a few SNES and GBA games available on the DSi store then.
    And I like the Mario Running download indicator. It's not like downloading most games take that long...

The DSi download indicator is the Advance Mario, Luigi, Toad and Princess dropping blue balls into a box, which, when fully filled, turns into a present. Every time you open a new channel on your DSi for the first time, you have to unwrap it first.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    4x the RAM, eh?

The DSi download indicator is the Advance Mario, Luigi, Toad and Princess dropping blue balls into a box, which, when fully filled, turns into a present. Every time you open a new channel on your DSi for the first time, you have to unwrap it first.

SNES had 1KB of RAM (I think maybe up to 4KB in some cases)

So yeah, it could do SNES games with it's pinky.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    4x the RAM, eh?

Well then...

... awesome.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    4x the RAM, eh?

Well then...

... awesome.

Which makes me amazed that they even pulled off DKC on that thing.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Guys, this summer it will have been 5 years since the DS was introduced. They were going to replace or refresh it eventually.
    They did refresh it. They called the refresh the DS Lite.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm sorry, I couldn't read your post over how much better the Phat was

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i'm gonna buy one of these even though i'm perfectly happy with the DSLite

... or, maybe i'm going to buy one of these because i'm perfectly happy with the DSLite

i'm conflicted; but, i'm gettin' an i.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't see what peoples confusion is with this. Wether you like it or not is irrelivent. This is a more powerful system, and they will develope games on it that are not playable on the ds regular. This is not the same as DSPhat to DS lite. This is not the same as GBA to GBASP.

This is a more powerful system, and they will make games for this. I don't know if it will be a success or not, but it is technically the next step up.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    4x the RAM, eh?

Well then...

... awesome.

Which makes me amazed that they even pulled off DKC on that thing.

Hell, they did DKC on the Game Boy Color.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I remember that release being pretty weird.. seeing both DKC GBC and DKC GBA in the same shelf.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If no one buys the DSi there won't be any new games for it :P

Seriously, $170 is way too much money for something that's slightly better. Right now it's all pointless technology, until 3 must buy games are on the DSi, I wouldn't even consider it.

I really don't like Nintendo's constant attempt at selling upgrades and gadgets to consumers, you end up paying soo much more.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know.. unlike Sony and Microsoft.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Damn Nintendo, allowing people to have better handhelds with online stores, more powerful hardware and bigger screens. I hate them. I hate them so much.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    IF they wanted to do that then they should make it modular, instead of making you buy the same damn console over and over and over.

Casually Hardcore on