Options

Nintendo DSi: Apr 5, $170 US, Black & Blue, DSi retail games, Rhythm Heaven also Apr5

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember the Gameboy being pretty dead up until Pokemon came out. Up to that point, only your well-to-do cousin had one. So the GBC was more "hey, we finally have a market for this again"

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So why would I buy a new DS like this? It can't play all my DS games?

Also.. digital distribution? Have we forgotten that Nintendo still thinks the Internet is a series of tubes? I'm sorry, but Nintendo has had many chances to prove they aren't totally fucking batshit crazy when it comes to developing online functionality, and they have failed miserably every time.

I see no reason to give Nintendo another chance when it comes to online anything. None.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

Also.. digital distribution? Have we forgotten that Nintendo still thinks the Internet is a series of tubes? I'm sorry, but Nintendo has had many chances to prove they aren't totally fucking batshit crazy when it comes to developing online functionality, and they have failed miserably every time.

I see no reason to give Nintendo another chance when it comes to online anything. None.

Where did you see that it can't play your games? Your DS can't play some of its games. Including the new downloadable stuff.

Also I don't know where you've been but Nintendo has done digital distribution extremely well thus far. Like, competently, easy to use, with a great selection of stuff on Virtual Console and Wiiware. If they can continue that tradition on DSi it will be awesome.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I had no problems with the online play of Mario Kart Wii.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Where did you see that it can't play your games? Your DS can't play some of its games. Including the new downloadable stuff.

Also I don't know where you've been but Nintendo has done digital distribution extremely well thus far. Like, competently, easy to use, with a great selection of stuff on Virtual Console and Wiiware. If they can continue that tradition on DSi it will be awesome.

Well, the DSi can't play anything that mandates the GBA slot. So Guitar Hero, I guess, but I'm pretty sure it can play 99 percent of all DS games.

DSi-ware is really the unknown variable, but that's the blind risk all early adopters take. You can argue about their Friend Code shenanigans, but the selection on Virtual Console and Wii Ware has been pretty good. I still prefer XBLA if I had to choose only one, but there's been more than enough on VC and WW for me to say the services are good.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2009

From the OP:
    In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DS™ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

It's not entirely backwards compatible, and there are thousands of DS titles, not "more than 850." It will not be able to play all my old DS games, as I said.
    Peewi wrote:

So you can honestly tell me you're satisfied with the online functionality of your Wii games?

Mario Kart is playable online, yes, but that's basically where it ends. There is no interaction with the people you're playing with, and hacking is rampant from what I saw the last time I played (a month a go or so). And Mario Kart is one of the better Wii games for online play.

Smash Bros. completely failed for online play. You're lucky to find someone to play with. The best online games so far that I have played are EA titles, if you can believe that. They have lobbys, leagues, communities, and you can add people to your friends list that you have recently played. Don't worry Psycho Moms, you still can't fucking talk to these people, so your unsupervised 12 year old is safe from the big bad online mario-loving predaators.

I'm just saying that I have no faith in Nintendo when it comes to anything related to online play, and I can't say I'm particularity impressed with the digital distribution so far.

If you look at the Xbox 360, it has done almost everything much better, and it's not like Microsoft has super-duper technology that Nintendo doesn't have access to.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and I've had a Wii since launch day... but I'm just not convinced they're looking to expand to a market outside the "All Play!" mentality, and their online functionality illustrates that perfectly.

Figgy on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Figgy, it'll be compatible with any DS game that doesn't need the GBA socket, and to the best of my knowledge, that's everything except the web browser (and there'll be a better web browser for the DSi anyway) and Guitar Hero On Tour (which was fucking terrible anyway).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's not entirely backwards compatible, and there are thousands of DS titles, not "more than 850." It will not be able to play all my old DS games, as I said.
    They mean games like Guitar Hero and other ones that use the GBA slot. I haven't seen anything from Japan that said it wasn't compatible with normal DS games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Figgy, it'll be compatible with any DS game that doesn't need the GBA socket, and to the best of my knowledge, that's everything except the web browser (and there'll be a better web browser for the DSi anyway) and Guitar Hero On Tour (which was fucking terrible anyway).

I think a rhythm game used the GBA slot in an expansion pack. There is also the rumble pack, but who gives a shit about that?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well I hope that's the case.

Figgy on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The rumble pack was not required for the game to work.

Also it was a piece of crap that produced more noise than vibration.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nintendo.com currently lists 525 games for DS. I would bet 850 is a pretty good guess as to the current number of total releases. Where do you get this "thousands" number from? (Hell, the NES only had about 900 games, I'm surprised the DS has that many)

If there's one thing Nintendo knows how to do, it's handheld Backward compatibility. They aren't stupid. That "most" is just covering their ass for the one or two games that are coded weird and won't work.

Besides, it's been out in Japan for a while so there would have been an uproar already if there were a good chunk of games that wouldn't work on the system.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't see why one digital distribution method is completely unacceptable just because there's another one out there that's marginally better.

I pay money, I download a game, I play it. It takes 5 minutes or less from concept to execution. I couldn't ask for a better download service.

Your main complaint might be the limited storage space and shuffling you have to do, but that's not an "online" issue, it's a shortcoming of the hardware. And keep in mind there's little else to store on a DSi besides downloadable games; saves are still stored on the cards themselves.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nintendo.com currently lists 525 games for DS. I would bet 850 is a pretty good guess as to the current number of total releases. Where do you get this "thousands" number from? (Hell, the NES only had about 900 games, I'm surprised the DS has that many)

If there's one thing Nintendo knows how to do, it's handheld Backward compatibility. They aren't stupid. That "most" is just covering their ass for the one or two games that are coded weird and won't work.

Besides, it's been out in Japan for a while so there would have been an uproar already if there were a good chunk of games that wouldn't work on the system.

Including imports and every game officially released we're sitting at over 3400. This is including every single game, not just NA releases.

Reading elsewhere, it seems you're all right in there the only games not playable will be the ones that utilize the GBA port, but the OP led me to believe it was a bigger issue.

Also, WPA won't work on DS games using the DSi, for those that care.

I don't see why one digital distribution method is completely unacceptable just because there's another one out there that's marginally better.

I pay money, I download a game, I play it. It takes 5 minutes or less from concept to execution. I couldn't ask for a better download service.

Your main complaint might be the limited storage space and shuffling you have to do, but that's not an "online" issue, it's a shortcoming of the hardware. And keep in mind there's little else to store on a DSi besides downloadable games; saves are still stored on the cards themselves.

Let's not pretend that the storage issue is separate from the digital distribution on the Wii. Without downloading games and content on the Wii, storage would not be an issue; therefore, it effectively dwarfs the quality of the service.

It's not like Nintendo added in VC/WiiWare/DLC months after the console was released, and it was either release these features and suffer tiny storage space or not have it at all. They knew it was going to be an issue rolling out, and it's entirely correctable. If I recall, there are homebrew applications that can activate SDHC compatibility and improve transfer rates, so it's not entirely implausible that Nintendo could send an update that allows us to use 16GB SD cards that you can play VC/WiiWare off of.

This is the main reason why I'm not impressed with the digital distribution on the Wii, and in my opinion the 360's service is not only marginally better, it's on a whole nuva level.

Edit: And I said "I can't say I'm particularity impressed with the digital distribution so far," not that it's "completely unacceptable."

Figgy on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DSi-only retail releases depress me.
    I like the GBA slot.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From the OP:
    In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DSâ„¢ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

A Nintendo press release from last September referenced "more than 600 games". And while it's not up to date, if you exclude games that weren't published in NA the number is less than a thousand (I got that by doing a quick count at Wikipedia).
    Including imports and every game officially released we're sitting at over 3400. This is including every single game, not just NA releases.

Source? I'd like a look at that list.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3400 games? I'm assuming that it's counting the same game multiple times for each region...

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    From the OP:
    In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DSâ„¢ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

A Nintendo press release from last September referenced "more than 600 games". And while it's not up to date, if you exclude games that weren't published in NA the number is less than a thousand (I got that by doing a quick count at Wikipedia).
    Source? I'd like a look at that list.

Nothing I can post on this forum. Like I said though, that's including every little game ever released in every country.

The last few starting with the latest I see:

USA Today Puzzle Craze
    Happy Cooking
    Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon
    Shining Force Feather
    Dragon Quest - The Hand of the Heavenly Bride
    Jewel Quest - Expeditions
    Mouse DS
    Think - Think Again
    Travel Coach - Euripe 3
    Momotarou Dentetsu DS
    Digimon Story

Again, those aren't all NA games.

Figgy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote:

So you can honestly tell me you're satisfied with the online functionality of your Wii games?

Mario Kart is playable online, yes, but that's basically where it ends. There is no interaction with the people you're playing with, and hacking is rampant from what I saw the last time I played (a month a go or so). And Mario Kart is one of the better Wii games for online play.

Smash Bros. completely failed for online play. You're lucky to find someone to play with. The best online games so far that I have played are EA titles, if you can believe that. They have lobbys, leagues, communities, and you can add people to your friends list that you have recently played. Don't worry Psycho Moms, you still can't fucking talk to these people, so your unsupervised 12 year old is safe from the big bad online mario-loving predaators.

I'm just saying that I have no faith in Nintendo when it comes to anything related to online play, and I can't say I'm particularity impressed with the digital distribution so far.

If you look at the Xbox 360, it has done almost everything much better, and it's not like Microsoft has super-duper technology that Nintendo doesn't have access to.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and I've had a Wii since launch day... but I'm just not convinced they're looking to expand to a market outside the "All Play!" mentality, and their online functionality illustrates that perfectly.

I can't really answer your question, as the only Wii game I've played online more than a tiny bit is Mario Kart, but I am satisfied with the online functionality of that.

I can't say that I've ever noticed hackers when playing Mario Kart Wii online.

While I somewhat understand people wanting communication with other players, a game like Mario Kart wouldn't benefit from it that much. In fact if there was voice chat, I'd turn it off pretty fast. My sister screams and yells almost constantly when playing Mario Kart and I don't think that's particularly uncommon. There are some things I'd rather not have coming through my speakers.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Again, counting all releases available on Wikipedia (because they provide them in a nice list format), you have:

A-I: WW-512 NA-241
    J-R: WW-444 NA-206
    S-Z: WW-365 NA-146

That's close to their Sept press release. As the DSi announcement is for North America it would make sense for Nintendo to only mention NA titles (updated since then, of course).

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, it's the same DS with a camera and some storage shoved in.

This thread is filled with some bitter ramblings. If a game is being released that will only play on DSi, this will be because it was incapable of playing on your old DS due to lack of camera/storage!

It's not as if it's hard to just ignore the fucking thing and keep playing your lite.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I can't say that I've ever noticed hackers when playing Mario Kart Wii online.

I often run into games where there is a player (and often his guest) miles ahead of the pack before half of the first lap. I'm talking inconceivably ahead, where there is no way in god's green tits that you could get there. And, yes, I know about the various shortcuts/exploits to skip track sections.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Again, counting all releases available on Wikipedia (because they provide them in a nice list format), you have:

That's close to their Sept press release. As the DSi announcement is for North America it would make sense for Nintendo to only mention NA titles (updated since then, of course).

I think we've established the fact that I misread the part in the OP that talked about backwards compatibility, and it's likely only a small handful of games won't work.

I've also said several times my "3400" number includes all regions, so let's put the "how many DS games are there?" discussion to bed.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man, it's the same DS with a camera and some storage shoved in.

This thread is filled with some bitter ramblings. If a game is being released that will only play on DSi, this will be because it was incapable of playing on your old DS due to lack of camera/storage!

It's not as if it's hard to just ignore the fucking thing and keep playing your lite.

The hardware is marginally better, though, which leads me to believe some titles will come out that require the DSi for that reason alone.

Looking at a few youtube videos, I don't see any games that look better than a regular DS game.. but I guess we'll see.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I think we've established the fact that I misread the part in the OP that talked about backwards compatibility, and it's likely only a small handful of games won't work.

I've also said several times my "3400" number includes all regions, so let's put the "how many DS games are there?" discussion to bed.

That WW number includes PAL, NA, and JP. If you're going to keep spouting that 3400 figure then we're in "citation needed" territory.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

That WW number includes PAL, NA, and JP. If you're going to keep spouting that 3400 figure then we're in "citation needed" territory.

Meh. No can do. If you really cared you could do a quick google search, because the games are actually numbered in certain "circles."

Figgy on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I sometimes lament the lack of a GBA slot on my DSi, but honestly, the DSiWare shop alone (with the potential it represents, combined with the SD slot) is enough to warrant the purchase. My only problem is the DSi-only games being region-locked. Now THAT pisses me off because I have the japanese hardware and I don't want to buy a second one.

As for Rhythm Heaven, I wonder if they'll change the songs for the monkey and popstar minigames.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Meh. No can do. If you really cared you could do a quick google search, because the games are actually numbered in certain "circles."

I think I found your so-called "source". Aside from the fact that numbers <3000 aren't available (with a lazy search) for me to generate a list, there are gaps in that list. One example has that "source" with 3201-3299, but there are in fact only 62 entries.

EDIT: The one that you gave some titles to above only count 57.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I think I found your so-called "source". Aside from the fact that numbers <3000 aren't available (with a lazy search) for me to generate a list, there are gaps in that list. One example has that "source" with 3201-3299, but there are in fact only 62 entries.

Because the source you found doesn't have info for the other games in that range.

Once again, I've already admitted that number is irrelevant to the discussion because it doesn't prove they won't be backwards compatible, since the press release was specifically for North America.

Figgy on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    I sometimes lament the lack of a GBA slot on my DSi, but honestly, the DSiWare shop alone (with the potential it represents, combined with the SD slot) is enough to warrant the purchase. My only problem is the DSi-only games being region-locked. Now THAT pisses me off because I have the japanese hardware and I don't want to buy a second one.

As for Rhythm Heaven, I wonder if they'll change the songs for the monkey and popstar minigames.

This is my opinion too. I love the backwards compatability of the Lite, the DSi hopefully will mean access to the GB catalog.

I'm pretty sure they announced the region lock for online games from the start, but I had thought it was for downloadable content and not standard carts.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

This is my opinion too. I love the backwards compatability of the Lite, the DSi hopefully will mean access to the GB catalog.

I'm pretty sure they announced the region lock for online games from the start, but I had thought it was for downloadable content and not standard carts.

The DSi, just like the DS, doesn't have the power to play GBA games (unless they're actual GBA carts in the DS' GBA slot). It's an issue of memory on the GBA cart or something like that, so don't expect them as downloadable content. I'm not convinced they'd work on the SD card either. It could play NES and GB stuff, and I don't know about SNES. Unlike the Wii's VC, software emulation won't be the only issue here, hardware limitations need to be taken into account.

As for the region-lock, it'll affect both stuff from the online store and the DSi-only cartridges, but not the DS carts to come.

One thing I'm happy with, though, is that I can use my Canadian credit card to buy Nintendo Points for my Japanese DSi online store. In fact, 2000 Japanese points cost me less than 2000 Canadian points.
    Also, the store gave me 1000 free points the first time I logged in.

Djiem on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Okay, now that is awesome. More systems should do that.

jothki on
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Crack dealers use a similar busness model.

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The DSi, just like the DS, doesn't have the power to play GBA games (unless they're actual GBA carts in the DS' GBA slot). It's an issue of memory on the GBA cart or something like that, so don't expect them as downloadable content. I'm not convinced they'd work on the SD card either. It could play NES and GB stuff, and I don't know about SNES. Unlike the Wii's VC, software emulation won't be the only issue here, hardware limitations need to be taken into account.
    I thought I had heard that there are near perfect SNES emulators for the DS already. And if that's the case, then I don't really understand why emulating a GBA would be that difficult.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I thought I had heard that there are near perfect SNES emulators for the DS already. And if that's the case, then I don't really understand why emulating a GBA would be that difficult.

Basically, the GBA slot has a higher bandwidth than the DS slot so you can't run a GBA game through a DS cart. You could try to emulate a GBA game by running it on the DS internal RAM, but DS RAM would support 4MB, while GBA games usually go up to 32MB in size, almost all of them being above 4MB. So no, they can't emulate GBA on these flashcarts and this, I think, is why many SNES games won't emulate either, which is why I think the DSiWare shop will be mostly new stuff and not really a virtual console per se.

Maybe the SD slot has GBA-comparable bandwidth (but then, GBA games bought through the VC channel of the DSi would have to go directly to an SD card). Otherwise, we're shit out of luck. DS(i) by itself cannot run GBA games without a GBA slot.

Djiem on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    An article on Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven, for the unfamilar

The demo I played at PAX seemed fun, aside from being very difficult.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    which is why I think the DSiWare shop will be mostly new stuff and not really a virtual console per se.
    Well there's always the NES and GB and maybe other things. I'd love it if I could use part of my Wii VC collection on the DS.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dsiware-to-get-katamari-mr-driller

DSi-exclusive Katamari.

Goddamnit. I can't afford a new system.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Portable virtual console is the only thing that would get me to upgrade right now. I've always wanted to play that Gameboy Donkey Kong game. DK 94 or something? Also, the Metal Gear Solid and Zelda games. Lots of classic stuff I missed out on when my original Green screen GB broke, and I waited until GBA to jump back on.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Looking at that Katamari announcement, and the already existing Dr.Mario and Puzzle League available for DSiWare, I think that the online store has a LOT of potential even without a virtual console (though I'd love to get my hands on Final Fantasy Legend 3 and maybe an advance-like version of SMB3).

What about the GB camera? That'd be doable with the DSi's camera. In fact, the DSi's camera already has retarded morphs on it. It detects my eyes and mouth and can morph the picture to make me go ^_^ or v_v. I also added myself some cat ears with the camera menu, and I look like some anime reject.

Djiem on