Options

Nintendo DSi: Apr 5, $170 US, Black & Blue, DSi retail games, Rhythm Heaven also Apr5

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dsiware-to-get-katamari-mr-driller

DSi-exclusive Katamari.

Goddamnit. I can't afford a new system.

Are you fucking seriou....goddammit.

NO, NINTENDO, NO. NO MEANS NO.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote:
    Looking at that Katamari announcement, and the already existing Dr.Mario and Puzzle League available for DSiWare, I think that the online store has a LOT of potential even without a virtual console (though I'd love to get my hands on Final Fantasy Legend 3 and maybe an advance-like version of SMB3).

Given the critical and sales beatings the more recent Katamaris have taken, I think it might be too soon to see it as a killer app. But DSiWare is definitely getting some high-profile attention, and given Square's more recent push for digital content (like iPod and iPhone games), I don't think it'll be long before they add to the pile as well.

I, for one, welcome our digital download overlords. XBLA is awesome, VC and WiiWare are awesome and I have faith DSiWare will be ... awesome.

EDIT: Reporting from CAG, apparently there may be a trade-in deal next week where you get an extra $25 for trading in your systems, which means a DS Lite should pull $75 in credit. Dunno if you have to put it toward a preorder or whatever, but it should be eligible for a DSi preorder, so getting a DSi for $95 may not be a bad deal. I already have $80 in credit that I've been saving for other games, but that might push me over the edge into getting a DSi.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder if my fiance would notice if I traded in her Lite... its not like we ever use ours at the same time. We could totally share.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm a big Katamari fan, but the PSP Katamari kind of blew. Wait and see how it turns out before you get excited for it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WTF they're making DSi exclusive titles?!

The DS and the DSi is the same fucking thing! There's no fucking way I'm buying a DS.2!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A new Iwata Asks column on the DSi. I love these. Some interesting tidbits:
    Iwata: Originally, the Nintendo DSi was designed so that two DS games could be inserted.

Kuwahara: Right. There were two slots.

Iwata: There were a lot of requests among gamers, of course, and from in house as well, for two slots. We also thought that would be good, and, even though we were aware of the drawback of increased size, we decided to proceed with two slots. But when you and your team made an actual model and I held it in my hands, all I could think was, “It’s so big!”
    Iwata: The DS Lite possessed a lot of improvements over the original DS, but one thing that was sacrificed was the sound. It’s hard to notice in the specs, but when you actually use it, you feel like it needs a little more volume. The Nintendo DSi represents a drastic improvement in that area. Technically, how did you achieve that?

Kuwahara: Well, there’s something called a Codec IC. It does things like amplify sound and convert digital signals into analog signals. That’s new this time. In other words, the peripheral…around the CPU…uh…how should I put this?

Iwata: You upgraded the IC responsible for sound output. (laughs)

Kuwahara: Right, it’s been upgraded. (laughs) The output increased, and depending on the mode, the sound quality improved.
    Iwata: Kuwahara-san, what did you think about the DSi Shop function?

Kuwahara: I expected a lot of packaged software—software of the sort that was previously hard to sell—to increase. To name a couple simple examples, products like calculators and route maps that haven’t existed as packaged software so far could be introduced and a new market would open up.

Iwata: Not many people would go to the store, spend several thousand yen on software for a calculator or road map, and then stick the cartridge in their DS. But suppose we offered a Zelda Calculator, an Animal Crossing Clock, route maps of various major cities, or only the simple mode of Tetris as low-cost downloads? I’m sure the new demand can be made.

And, holy shit:
    Iwata: According to statistics, there are an average of 2.8 DS users per household that has a DS in Japan, but each of those households only possesses, on average, 1.8 DS consoles. I hope with the advent of the DSi the average number of consoles will approach the average number of users per household.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zelda Calculators? Sign me up!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

What if nintendo sold calculator software that made the DS an equivalent to a TI-86? Think of all the slacking that could be done! (too bad I haven't taken a math class in the last 4 years...)

Guek on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They sure know how to pimp their brands. While I'd love an actual Zelda calculator, I really don't think I'd want to pull out my DS to figure out the square root of something.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They sure know how to pimp their brands. While I'd love an actual Zelda calculator, I really don't think I'd want to pull out my DS to figure out the square root of something.

But think about it! Every time you hit the equal sign, you'd hear the "solved puzzle" jingle!

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Guek wrote: »

What if nintendo sold calculator software that made the DS an equivalent to a TI-86? Think of all the slacking that could be done! (too bad I haven't taken a math class in the last 4 years...)

I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole unless it's an HP with Reverse Polish Notation.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    BTP wrote: »

But think about it! Every time you hit the equal sign, you'd hear the "solved puzzle" jingle!

...I'm pretty sure you just made Nintendo millions with that idea.

EDIT: Oh, and everyone should deflate expecations of "the Katamari game" on DSiWare:
    Kotaku wrote:
    Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy is a Katamari-themed puzzle game, with the player stacking up objects and then dropping a Katamari on them to sweep them away. 1UP points out that the game is essentially a re-skinned version the Pac-Attack, replacing Pac-Man with a sticky ball, which explains the lower price of 500 DSi Points when it launches on March 25th.

Lunker on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Two slots? hah.

I wish Nintendo would take a hint from the flash card makers and just have a "put your DS games on SD card" service. I mean, I have every GB, GBA, and DS game I own on my DS right now, only one card needed. Doing it "legit" would be nice, as I could do the same thing and not worry about being locked out because of firmware updates. And it'd shut out the pirates (..for a while).

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The DS and the DSi is the same fucking thing! There's no fucking way I'm buying a DS.2!
    * the CPU running at a higher speed (2x)
    * 16 MB of RAM (vs. 4 MB)
    * the cameras
    * 256 MB of internal storage
    * the SD slot
    * improved sound capabilities in both input (mic) and output (new sound chip, as I understand it)
    * a secondary Wi-Fi chip that can do WPA and performs much better

yeah, those bitches, how dare they

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So how do DSi specs compare to, say, PSP or iphone?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

* the cameras
    * the SD slot
    * improved sound capabilities in both input (mic) and output (new sound chip, as I understand it)

Note that the original source from that is GoNintendo and it hasn't been officially confirmed, though I don't know if Nintendo ever really comes out and confirms system specs for anything.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Of course. Though everything but the CPU speed and RAM increase is confirmed, and the improvements seem logical, if they are to a) interact with both cameras in real-time alongside software, and b) to run downloaded software off of storage or in RAM.
    So how do DSi specs compare to, say, PSP or iphone?

Despite being an improvement if true, I think it's still essentially a Nintendo 64 on steroids. Heck, the barebones PSP used to run at what, only 2/3rds of full CPU speed? Until certain games unlocked that potential?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh. So basically it's kind of like the original GB and the GBC. The GBC also had a 2x clock speed and x4 RAM. Only instead of adding color and an infrared port as noticable trademarks, there are two cameras and an SD slot.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Completely fuck-awesome trailer from Nintendo of Europe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTgOqufvKc

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Despite being an improvement if true

By my understanding, they are true. Homebrewers are already trying to take advantage of additionally oomph. As a downside, DSi really guzzles power when playing DSiWare games that use that extra power.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

* the cameras
    * the SD slot

Note that the original source from that is GoNintendo and it hasn't been officially confirmed, though I don't know if Nintendo ever really comes out and confirms system specs for anything.

An Opera dev said that the CPU is 2x as fast (quoted as 133 MHz) and their CEO said that it had more RAM but didn't give any numbers.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So will the GBA games be on the market? Like Super Mario Bros 3 and so on?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I always forget that the screens are bigger too.

Seeing something like that makes it feel a lot like "the" successor, as much of a jump as we got from Cube to Wii.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So will the GBA games be on the market? Like Super Mario Bros 3 and so on?

You mean on DSiWare? It was said earlier that you can't run GBA games on a DS without having an actual cart, but the extra RAM might be enough to hold some games. And there is always the possibility of a port, even if that's just a modified GBA ROM that can run off of internal storage.

But nothing has been announced in this capacity, so don't get your hopes up.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    Huh. So basically it's kind of like the original GB and the GBC. The GBC also had a 2x clock speed and x4 RAM. Only instead of adding color and an infrared port as noticable trademarks, there are two cameras and an SD slot.

I didn't know the GBC actually had those kinds of boosts. It really is an apt comparison. Also, from that Iwata Asks interview:
    Kuwahara: One thing that was difficult was developing the project while keeping in mind how to sell it. What I mean is, it wasn’t a completely new piece of hardware, so we couldn’t plan on there being several big titles to be simultaneously released with it.

Iwata: Because it’s not an entirely new platform. It’s the third console in the Nintendo DS line.

Kuwahara: Exactly. So, to put it simply, we have to be able to sell the console on its own. It also has to be able to meld into the already-existing DS market.

Iwata: That’s right.

Kuwahara: That was the source of some frustration for me. I couldn’t move forward at full blast, but if I didn’t move forward, it wouldn’t feel new. It was quite a dilemma.

Iwata: In other words, you would have felt freer if you could have ignored the technological precedents and the existing market for the DS, but since you had to restrict yourself to the DS platform, figuring out how to be innovative within that framework was a big challenge.

Kuwahara: Yes.

I know that the initial PR made a big fuss about DSi-exclusive retail carts, but I question now how much that'll actually happen. We're all reading tea leaves here, but it really does sound like Nintendo plans on keeping the DS Lite alongside the DSi for the rest of the systems' lifespan.

I think that if you're a fan of Nintendo's games, there will eventually be enough cool DSiWare stuff that you'll definitely want a system, but I also think the DS proper will be fine for the lion's share of games.

Lunker on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So this is being treated as an upgrade but not a new generational launch?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Iwata: Because it’s not an entirely new platform. It’s the third console in the Nintendo DS line.

What was the third console in the Game Boy line?
    Are you going to suggest THAT wasn't a new console?!

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

For now, but the DS was also the Third Pillar at one point.

Never forget:
    cv0066.jpg

Lunker on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

As a upgrade, nothing else. Nintendo wants to capture tech-geek segment of the market with this, although I don't believe that this has too much appeal for them. Not enough features, and from technological standpoint pretty boring. But it will sell pretty well.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the DS is still selling well enough at this point that they're not going to kill off the DS Lite at this point. I'd be very surprised if there were many DSi only retail releases considering the DS install base.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Seeing something like that makes it feel a lot like "the" successor, as much of a jump as we got from Cube to Wii.
    o_O

And that trailer? Everyone wearing white creeps me out a bit. The grandparents are using the DSi as an expensive digital photo frame. And, everyone in that trailer is way too amused by the simplest of fucking features.

The camera feature looks like it's basically a glorified "Photo Booth" (MAC) and nothing more. Knowing Nintendo's stance on privacy and parental control, we won't see any online games that utilize the camera in any interesting ways.

The sound feature? The guy played a generic track and then made it sound muffled with a radio filter. That was the showcase of this system's sound function? I'm sure we might see some neat sound apps in the future, possibly homebrew, but nothing that hasn't already been done on the DS Lite.

The only thing that interests me really is the online shop, but hearing that it drains the battery life makes it seem like you'll be having to keep the fucker plugged in to play for any length of time, completely negating the main purpose of a hand held device. The trailer spent like 20 seconds showcasing the shop feature. Who the fuck cares about distorting your voice for no reason or playing "doodle" on your boyfriend's face. Show us what games will be available.

Then again, it further proves my point that this system is not marketed toward people who want to use their DS for gaming.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

o_O

And that trailer? Everyone wearing white creeps me out a bit. The grandparents are using the DSi as an expensive digital photo frame. And, everyone in that trailer is way too amused by the simplest of fucking features.

The camera feature looks like it's basically a glorified "Photo Booth" (MAC) and nothing more. Knowing Nintendo's stance on privacy and parental control, we won't see any online games that utilize the camera in any interesting ways.

The sound feature? The guy played a generic track and then made it sound muffled with a radio filter. That was the showcase of this system's sound function? I'm sure we might see some neat sound apps in the future, possibly homebrew, but nothing that hasn't already been done on the DS Lite.

The only thing that interests me really is the online shop, but hearing that it drains the battery life makes it seem like you'll be having to keep the fucker plugged in to play for any length of time, completely negating the main purpose of a hand held device. The trailer spent like 20 seconds showcasing the shop feature. Who the fuck cares about distorting your voice for no reason or playing "doodle" on your boyfriend's face. Show us what games will be available.

Then again, it further proves my point that this system is not marketed toward people who want to use their DS for gaming.

Then keep your current DS? No one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it.

I remember the same angry rage when the GB Micro came out. It's not your thing, that's cool, but other people kind of dig it and might not mind spending some extra money for larger screens, better sound quality and the potential for cool downloadable titles. If my current Lite weren't on its last legs, I probably wouldn't even consider a DSi, but as-is I might trade it in while it's still working and pick it up.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's not rage. It's a negative opinion.

For once I'd like to see a discussion on G&T where someone doesn't suggest blasphemy when negative views are expressed.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

For once I'd like to see a discussion on G&T where someone doesn't suggest blasphemy when negative views are expressed.

I don't mind people expressing negative opinions, but when you phrase them so abrasively, don't be surprised when people comment on them. Bursting in with "What the fuck, why is this so shitty?" isn't really kick-starting a discussion.

The sound feature does sound kind of dumb, and I have enough other devices that play music that I won't really bog down another machine with them. But the camera's already had some gaming application beyond the teen-girl photo booth demo: It's been integrated into a downloadable Wario Ware game, though I don't know if it's been released yet or not. And I think they were going to use it with DSiWare Brain Age games too.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Nobody's suggesting blasphemy. In fact I think most people are trying to cool down the ones who are calling the DSi blasphemy.

Anyway I fail to see how this is much different from the GC -> Wii, aside from the Wii having its own games.

- Minor hardware upgrades. The Wii gets more oomph and the DSi gets smaller, with larger screens and better sound output. Both get similar CPU and RAM upgrades.
    - SD card support.
    - Internal storage.
    - Internet browser.
    - Downloadable game/software service.
    - The Photo Channel is like the DSi's Photo Channel, down to basic image manipulation and slideshows.
    - The DSi's music player is analogous to the miscellaneous Wii channels such as news and weather.
    - Cameras can be used as a new control method similar to the Wii remote (video at 4:43)

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Where in my post was I overly abrasive? The only part I see is where I was criticizing the trailer, not the device itself. You can't disagree that the trailer is creepy and makes you want to smash babies. The guy took a picture of his girlfriend and they laughed like school children--they were both at least 25.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

As a upgrade, nothing else. Nintendo wants to capture tech-geek segment of the market with this, although I don't believe that this has too much appeal for them. Not enough features, and from technological standpoint pretty boring. But it will sell pretty well.

What? No. Did you not see the trailer with the camera diary? This is as much, if not moreso, aimed at kids and casuals as anybody else. What about this says tech geek to you? It's going for as broad an appeal as possible.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Nobody's suggesting blasphemy. In fact I think most people are trying to cool down the ones who are calling the DSi blasphemy.

Anyway I fail to see how this is much different from the GC -> Wii, aside from the Wii having its own games.

- Minor hardware upgrades. The Wii gets more oomph and the DSi gets smaller, with larger screens and better sound output. Both get similar CPU and RAM upgrades.
    - SD card support.
    - Internal storage.
    - Internet browser.
    - Downloadable game/software service.
    - The Photo Channel is like the DSi's Photo Channel, down to basic image manipulation and slideshows.
    - The DSi's music player is analogous to the miscellaneous Wii channels such as news and weather.
    - Cameras can be used as a new control method similar to the Wii remote (video at 4:43)

It's maybe similar if you look the hardware improvements alone, but I don't think the DSi will have as much of an impact on gaming as the Wii did.

Also, I don't recall anyone saying, "I'm just going to stick with my GameCube thanks.." when the Wii came out.

Also also, WAGGLE! :P

Figgy on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The gun being pointed to people head is called DSi exclusive games.

"Hey! You want to play this awesome game? Guess what? You have to buy yet another gameboy that is that same gameboy that you have but have another 2mb of ram! Oh dont worry! You can trade in your old gameboy for $10 at gamespot, so you only really spending $160 for an minimal upgrade and stuff that you'll never ever going to use!"

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's maybe similar if you look the hardware improvements alone, but I don't think the DSi will have as much of an impact on gaming as the Wii did.

Also, I don't recall anyone saying, "I'm just going to stick with my GameCube thanks.." when the Wii came out.

Also also, WAGGLE! :P
    Definitely, because the DSi is being billed as a continuation of the same line (which it honestly is, the game cards are no different) whereas the Wii had a definite storage media upgrade.

It's kind of strange. Every console and handheld generation thus far has partially been necessitated (and heralded) by a change in storage media. 8-bit cartridges, to 16-bit carts with more storage, to CDs, to DVDs, to Blue Rays. Obviously there is room for handheld storage to increase but I wonder if this will continue indefinitely, or if someday the storage media will stay the same while the hardware improves.

"Hey! You want to play this awesome game? Guess what? You have to buy yet another gameboy that is that same gameboy that you have but have another 2mb of ram! Oh dont worry! You can trade in your old gameboy for $10 at gamespot, so you only really spending $160 for an minimal upgrade and stuff that you'll never ever going to use!"

The best part about this is how first you were complaining that it was exactly the same thing and now you're complaining that it's a different thing. :lol:

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

NO! The DSi exclusive game would not work on your old DS!

GWAAAAR! No more. This thread is filling me with internet rage. I can't tell if people are morons, bleak pessimists or can actually see through a time hole into a terrible future they feel the need to warn us about. For the sake of my sanity I leave you to it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif