As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Worst Movies

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Brian888 wrote: »
    3.) Masters of the Universe - I don't know, this might just be bad bad. Even when I was a kid, I saw this and thought "This bears almost no resemblance to the cartoon, and is poorer for it." I mean, since when did Skeletor have Stormtroopers?
    The fact that the He-man movie only passably resembles the cartoon is in no way a strike against it.

Take off your nostalgia blinders. The cartoon was worse than the Holocaust.

Also, I honestly believe that Frank Langella's performance as Skeletor is probably the best cartoon-villain acting job I've ever seen. Maybe tied with Saruman.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    3.) Masters of the Universe - I don't know, this might just be bad bad. Even when I was a kid, I saw this and thought "This bears almost no resemblance to the cartoon, and is poorer for it." I mean, since when did Skeletor have Stormtroopers?
    The fact that the He-man movie only passably resembles the cartoon is in no way a strike against it.

Also, I honestly believe that Frank Langella's performance as Skeletor is probably the best cartoon-villain acting job I've ever seen. Maybe tied with Saruman.

All things considered, the He-Man movie was pretty decent. It wasn't a terrible film, once you consider that the fantasy film genre is weak overall, even moreso at the time it was made.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Manos is only bearable with Crow, Tom, and Joel in the foreground. Otherwise it's a crime against humanity.

MST3K did do some movies that I think are badgood. Parts the Clonus Horror, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Diabolik, Squirm, and the Master Ninjas.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sliver wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the best worst movie ever, but it sure as hell ranks.

Here is a particularly surreal scene where Robin Williams catches his disembodied head with a butterfly net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5zVbzWgByk

But I liked that movie as a kid! And I think I watched it 3 years ago and still enjoyed it.

My suggestion is Tokyo Gore Police. watched it for valentines day and it was really enjoyable. but bad. so bad.

Nataneko on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

"The power flows through me...pure, unstoppable POWER...and I AM THIS POWER, I AM THE MASTER OF HTE UNIVERSE, I. AM. A. GODDDDDDDDD!"

*gets some kickass armour*

"Now...Kneel...KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!"

Skeletor fucking rocked. ANd what the hell, I'd throw Evil lyn one.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think so, Qingu. Kung Fu Hustle isn't a Best Worst movie, it's a Best Best movie.
    Yeah, it's probably too self-aware to qualify.

I'm wondering if Shaolin Soccer would qualify, but I think it's just as self-aware as Kung Fu Hustle.
    Dude, Shaolin Soccer has the 'Evil Team' who get not only roided up by, but exude demonic smoke after being pumped full of 'american medicine.' That is just too damn awesome.

Subtle insights into Big Pharma's practices? "GlaxoSmithKline - Our pills are fueled by witchcraft!"

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just love the fact that they call the stuff, 'American Medicine." (or at least, that's the translation my girlfriend gave me - I've never seen it in English).

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just love the fact that they call the stuff, 'American Medicine." (or at least, that's the translation my girlfriend gave me - I've never seen it in English).

hahaahah, it's definitely "American Medicine" when you translate it.

God, I love that movie soooooooooooooooo much. I think I'm going to go pop open a beer and watch it again tonight.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The end of the movie where the goalie goes full moon is the only time I've ever fallen off a piece of furniture laughing.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    LandoLando Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm really surprised no one has brought up this movie yet:

BEST OF THE BEST

Fuck. Yes!

That movie actually came out the same weekend as Army of Darkness. My brother and mom overruled me on AoD, and we saw Best of the Best instead. Eric Roberts as an action hero? Evil Wayne Newton? Good times.

And while I'm on the subject of my early 90's theater crapfests...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xJ4EZMO6v8
    There needs to be an early 90's channel that shows nothing but Van Damme movies on Fridays.

Lando on
    Shadow7763.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, John Carpenter's THEY LIVE.

In this movie, WWF-star Rowdy Roddy Piper's character finds special glasses that reveal the world as it truly is—overrun by evil aliens posing as humans, advertising and billboards riddled with menacing subtexts ordering you to OBEY, etc.

In the above scene, Rowdy Roddy Piper has a friend, and he understandably wants this friend to try on these glasses to see what he is talking about. The friend refuses, and they brutally, inexplicably fight each other for like five fucking minutes.

WHAT?! You'd call that movie good/bad? I'd say it's pure fucking awesome. The fight scene alone is worth the price of admission. :)

RRP and Frank are fighting cuz Frank refuses to wear the glasses! It's about as inexplicable as Humphry Bogart telling whats-her-face to get on that damned plane.

Her name is Ingrid Bergman you dizzy bitch.

on topic: Road House.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you went to Disneyland or Disneyworld as a kid, then you must remember...Captain Eo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBeD1L_nd4

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PatboyX wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, John Carpenter's THEY LIVE.

In this movie, WWF-star Rowdy Roddy Piper's character finds special glasses that reveal the world as it truly is—overrun by evil aliens posing as humans, advertising and billboards riddled with menacing subtexts ordering you to OBEY, etc.

In the above scene, Rowdy Roddy Piper has a friend, and he understandably wants this friend to try on these glasses to see what he is talking about. The friend refuses, and they brutally, inexplicably fight each other for like five fucking minutes.

WHAT?! You'd call that movie good/bad? I'd say it's pure fucking awesome. The fight scene alone is worth the price of admission. :)

RRP and Frank are fighting cuz Frank refuses to wear the glasses! It's about as inexplicable as Humphry Bogart telling whats-her-face to get on that damned plane.

Her name is Ingrid Bergman you dizzy bitch.

on topic: Road House.

casablanca.jpg

So classy.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Kv-955Fkg

Howard the Duck.

I liked it, but it was just not a good movie.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nothing will ever top Batman: The Movie.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You win the thread.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This was a very recent movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE7ny2bfXF0

It looks like a standard, awesome, Chinese magic martial arts fest. But actually it revolves around some white kid who gets transported from our world into this alternate/ancient magical Chinese world, a la The Neverending Story. Fucked up.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It looks like a standard, awesome, Chinese magic martial arts fest. But actually it revolves around some white kid who gets transported from our world into this alternate/ancient magical Chinese world, a la The Neverending Story. Fucked up.

Oh, I'll have to check that one out. It looks like something I will enjoy, pass onto my parents, then they can pass onto my brother and his wife. I love buying movies when I know all 5 of us will get use out of it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got Suburban Commando used at a gamestop for very cheap. Best purchase I ever made.

I am thinking about trying to find Mr. Nanny or whatever that other movie was. the trailer had a part showing him doing ballet with the little girl and the voiceover said "some to look up too-too" awful. gotta have it.

I was frozen today!

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Watching The Wizzard at Pax 04 was probably one of my favorite experiences..

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Clips from Sextette: That is the fastest Mae West moves throughout the whole movie. At one point, in the middle of a musical number Dom DeLouise starts dancing with a cardboard standup of Mae West, and just from the blocking in the scene, it's pretty obvious the script called for him to actual dance with her - the director must've been afraid Mae West would snap in half if she went any faster than a meter a minute and substituted the standup at the last minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hctzwKRVzY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BqAEA8G6E&feature=related

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The part I could never wrap my head around was how he suddenly knew how to speak and understand Mandarin.

Like he's furrowing his brow, and Jackie Chan is all,"Su ing wai ni mae zai xen zen hard enough! You're not listening hard enough!" Bam, full comprehension in mid-sentence!

The redeeming part of the movie is the fact that it has both Jet Li AND Jackie Chan in it. FUCK YES MARTIAL ARTS ORGASM ALL MY DICKS NOW KNOW KUNG FU ETC.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

You win the thread.

I mean really,

there's

no

contest.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I assume we all get to say this once in this thread soo..Yea I'm gonna have to go ahead and let it be known that this Movie belongs in the " Most Awesome Movies Period" thread, not the "Best Worst Movies" thread.

Come on now, sure it was ridiculous, but in a totally fun awesome way, they took ridiculousness and embraced it, and made it something totally sweet.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whenever these kind of movie discussions pop up it never ceases to amaze me that no one has ever heard of Dante's Peak. The movie is like every single disaster movie cliche combined with logic loopholes large enough to drive cars through, i still can't quite get over just how good/bad the movie is.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While the old grandma getting out of the boat to push them to safety in what is rapidly becoming a lake of acid is high quality in the worst possible way, I never quite found Dante's Peak to be good-bad enough as a whole to watch with friends the way I would most of the others suggested in this thread. I find it strangely watchable when flipping past it on cable, but it doesn't really qualify as party entertainment for me in the way I believe the truly best worst movies should.

Ketar on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Best of the Best wasn't awesomely bad (in my opinion). Eric Roberts, Sean Penn's brother, and James Earl Jones all talking about how it's being a team that matters.

Ok, so it's cheezy.

And I watching the original Batman. I loved the first scene with the Bat-Anti-Shark Repellent. Then Bats wails on the shark since they spray doesn't do anything.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dante's Peak and Volcano are both very silly movies, (the grandma in Peak, and the heroic train guy hopping into hot lava and melting being highlights of both), but one of the draws of good-bad movies are low production values, and while bad, being technically competent makes them not so memorable.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blue map wrote: »
    Whenever these kind of movie discussions pop up it never ceases to amaze me that no one has ever heard of Dante's Peak. The movie is like every single disaster movie cliche combined with logic loopholes large enough to drive cars through, i still can't quite get over just how good/bad the movie is.

Dante's Peak was way more awesome than Volcano.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »
    If you went to Disneyland or Disneyworld as a kid, then you must remember...Captain Eo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBeD1L_nd4

The piano player was a big blue thing with an elephant trunk...

where have I seen that before...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I watched The Thing last night on hulu. It's always been a favorite goodbad movie of mine.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to call The Thing another movie that is just plain _good._

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to call The Thing another movie that is just plain _good._

Yeah that one tarries the line of good and goodbad

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dante's Peak was terribad.

It does not belong in the same category as films like "Big Trouble in Little China".

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    I watched The Thing last night on hulu. It's always been a favorite goodbad movie of mine.

What? The Thing is probably one of the best scifi/horror films ever made...it is not a "bad" movie by any definition of the word.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What? The Thing is probably one of the best scifi/horror films ever made...it is not a "bad" movie by any definition of the word.

I dunno, the dialogue kind of sucks, the introduction is mailed in, and the ending is pretty predictable.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I dunno, the dialogue kind of sucks, the introduction is mailed in, and the ending is pretty predictable.

Oh, not even knowing whether the very protagonist of the film is anything but a horrifying alien monstrosity in disguise at the end is predictable?

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I think it's only a "bad movie" in the sense that most genre pieces are going to hit a wall somewhere on the Serious Film Scale. It really is a great movie, though.
    It has everything it should and, while not revolutionary, it is entertaining, tense and just thought provoking enough to stay with the viewer.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg